Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points (40651 Views)

'Boycott 2019 Election' - Nnamdi Kanu Tells IPOB In New Year Speech (Audio) / Buhari’s New Year Speech Shows He Has Conceded Defeat -pdp...says Mr. President / New Year Speech: Buhari Was Not Accurately Quoted In News Report - APC Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by nairalandfreak(m): 7:39am On Jan 01, 2018
[img]https://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/08/President-Muhammadu-Buhari-in-AGH.jpg[/img]
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, January 1, 2018 in made a national speech to citizens of Nigeria.
Below are the 10 main points made by President Muhammadu Buhari in his national broadcast to Nigerians Monday morning.

1. President Muhammadu Buhari this morning unfolded his government’s plan for a comprehensive rollout and investments in roads, rail and power infrastructure in the country.

2. He equally vowed to ensure that oil marketers who have subjected Nigerians to harrowing experiences during the Christmas and New Year celebrations by hoarding and diverting fuel would not go unpunished.

3. The president who made the remarks in his nationwide broadcast to Nigerians, said he was saddened that many Nigerians could not derive desirable happiness during the Yuletide season as a result of the avoidable fuel shortages.
4. According to him, the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing was leading the country’s infrastructure revolution with a view to achieving global economic advancement through the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP), adding that in pursuit of the agriculture revolution by his government, importation of rice will end this year.

5. He pointed out that the Lagos-Calabar coastal line would also link Ore in Ondo State with a number of South-south towns.

“My address to fellow Nigerians this morning is devoted mainly to informing you about the intense efforts this administration is putting to address our country’s huge infrastructure deficit.

4. On road infrastructure, the president who disclosed that Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) had been reconstituted and ordered to carry out rapid road upgrade within 12 weeks in all the six geopolitical zones, stated that the recent N100 billion raised through Sukuk bond would address 25 major highways with N16.67 billion earmarked for use in each geopolitical zone. 

5. While disclosing that power transmission had been ramped up to 7,000 megawatts (MW), he said for the first time on December 8, 2017, the country generated 5,155MW of electricity and proceeded to highlight other achievements in the power sector.

6. The president also said that the massive public works currently being spearheaded by his government would lead to the nation’s recovery and simultaneously create millions of jobs, adding that government was slowly stabilising the economy through sustainable policies and programmes captured in the economic recovery plan. 

7. He Appealed to “enterprising Nigerians” with useful ideas to get involved in job creation, Buhari noted that advanced countries were built through the involvement of enterprising persons.

8. On the fuel shortages experienced during the Christmas and New Year holidays, Buhari said the action of oil marketers that created hardship for Nigerians was unacceptable.

9. Speaking on the agitation for restructuring, Buhari said Nigeria’s problems border mainly on processes and not structure as being agitated, disclosing, however, that the government was examining the high cost of governance with a view to improving governance.

10. As the 2019 electioneering period draws nearer, Buhari counselled politicians to avoid exploiting ethnicity and religion, cautioning that such attitude must be avoided in order to promote harmony.

He also challenged other parts of the country to emulate the South-west which he said had successfully internalised religion and politics.

“In this respect, the rest of Nigeria could learn from the South-western states that have successfully internalised religion, ethnicity and politics.

“Political discourse should be conducted with civility, decorum and in a constitutional manner. We all have a collective responsibility to strengthen our democracy and entrench the rule of law.

“We should draw encouragement from the series of bye-elections conducted by INEC last year which were generally violence free and their outcomes adjudged to be free and fair,” he said.

10. He also said short-term measures had been evolved to combat kidnapping through what he described as tighter police methods with prescribed severe penalties for kidnappers, adding that the government was effectively engaging Niger Delta leaders with a view to addressing the challenges of the region including the Ogoni clean.

SOURCE: https://www./news/39946-10-key-points-in-president-buhari-speech-on-new-year-day-january-1-2018

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by seunlayi(m): 7:49am On Jan 01, 2018

Pointless speech, nothing special, nothing has changed compared with what I have bn hearing for the past 3yrs since he came to power

Make I test nairalanders sense of tonality with this song

A P C OLÈ, A P C OLÈ, APC Ole
m r d r:d:- m r d r:d:- m r d r:d:-:

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by damoneymag(m): 7:51am On Jan 01, 2018
yawns! happy new year

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by sarrki(m): 7:52am On Jan 01, 2018
I fervently prayed all this come to past

I will be happy

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 7:54am On Jan 01, 2018
OOH! WHAT A LOVELY HAPPY NEW YEAR SPEECH
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
GOD BLESS PMB1523
HAPPY NEW YEAR

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by smulti(m): 7:56am On Jan 01, 2018
sarrki:
I will be happy
eschew ethnicity
but dogs and baboons must soak in blood
gringringrin .

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by TheHistorian(m): 7:56am On Jan 01, 2018
Wonderful speech by my amiable President!!!

smulti:

eschew ethnicity

but dogs and baboons must soak in blood
gringringrin
Remain taciturn if you have nothing intellectual to contribute to the subject of discourse.

Reply me with the link to the video footage of where Buhari said that or you keep mute forever on this forum.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by stonemasonn: 7:57am On Jan 01, 2018
I wish 2018 will be better than 2017 for Nigeria.

Fashola is not doing bad though.

31 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by clevvermind(m): 7:57am On Jan 01, 2018
sarrki:
I will be happy
All are just a scam. We are wise now.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by obiageIi(f): 7:57am On Jan 01, 2018
Nice speech, nothing on the rampaging fulani herdsmen as usual. Smh

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by lonelydora: 7:57am On Jan 01, 2018
mods...behave! Buhari didn't say anything, why always push this speech to front page? Let's hear another thing abeg.

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by millionboi2: 7:57am On Jan 01, 2018
Buhari is a mistake.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by hedonistical: 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Rubbish. This brain dead idiot that does not even know the content of the so-called speech he merely recited to fulfil all righteousness.
He has no idea what he is talking about, so only starry eyed simpletons would take him seriously.

10. As the 2019 electioneering period draws nearer, Buhari counselled politicians to avoid exploiting ethnicity and religion, cautioning that such attitude must be avoided in order to promote harmony.

Just look at this extremist Islamic/Fulani pig who rode on the back of murderous ethnic and religious fanaticism to unfairly take over power? Shebi it was out of fear that innocent "dogs and baboons [from the South] shall be soaked in blood" that Jonathan gracefully (but foolishly) allowed you to stampede him out of Aso Rock? Na devil go punish you. Idiot. The same ethnic and religious sentiments that brought you to power would be used against you to force you out of that seat that you don't deserve.

Nonsense.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by brainpulse: 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Good one

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by ManirBK: 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
HAPPY NEW YEAR

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by myfantasies(f): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
He don give d speech
Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by johnstar(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Resign abeg

Dm say u dey fly go uk for medical check up again

No waste public funds

Resign now

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by deebsman1(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
This is 2018, no more rooms for excuses anymore. This year Lagos Ibadan expressway must be fully competed and some other major projects and governance must be taken more seriously

1 Like

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by bugidon(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
Nothing on fulani herdsmen!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by kurt09(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
South West Kwa.
Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by Playz(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2018
2018 will be A Great Year! cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by Teedawg: 7:59am On Jan 01, 2018
He has time for speech let him remember that 2019 is next year
Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by ajbabs(m): 7:59am On Jan 01, 2018
Speech of lies

1 Like

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by Jh0wsef(m): 8:00am On Jan 01, 2018
predident wey appoint dead people, is that one president?

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by AlexCk: 8:01am On Jan 01, 2018
Just hope and pray this year be favourable to Nigerians,
Last year, the people complained shaa, even Nigerians abroad were complaining for us sef.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by oluwalonikondo: 8:01am On Jan 01, 2018
This man has refuse to comment on menace cause by the Fulani heardsmen

17 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by hollawahlay(m): 8:01am On Jan 01, 2018
Pointless as usual....

1 Like

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by rawtouch: 8:02am On Jan 01, 2018
keypoinys, hmmm.. undecided
Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 01, 2018
I try to be pleased with the speech but couldn't. If it were a campaign speech, I would be thrilled. But this is the 3rd year into the administration and I still hear promises.

A look into the 2018 budget, which clearly may not be passed early, then add procurement processes that may take 3 months at least, little may happen till around July

Even then, I see no radical reforms for the petroleum industry in the speech. Unless the issue of subsidy is dealt with, people will have incentive to horde and scarcity will resume. It reminds me of the use of soldiers in 1983 to force businesses to sell at lower prices. It failed then and it may likely fail now. It's easier to use market forces than brute force in these things.

I hear nothing about the appalling heads men/farmers situation in the country. It is one of the most potent threats to agriculture for both the headsmen and farmers.

I have heard such speeches before, I have learnt not to trust politicians till I see things with my korokoro eyes.

10 Likes

Re: President Buhari's New Year Speech, 2018: 10 Key Points by chamber2(m): 8:03am On Jan 01, 2018
He will deny he said all this at the end of the year.
Rubbish

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Sani Bello Receives Freed Kagara Schoolboys And Their Teachers (Photos) / Why Do Women Always Take Part In Decorating Military Officers With New Ranks? / Ibadan Explosion: Foreign Illegal Miners Ran Out Of The House Before Explosion —

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.