Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,544 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (29176 Views)

TETFund Gives N12bn Grant To 12 Universities To Pioneer Researches / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by izzyybothe17: 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2018
Dohyn3:

Lol. Not really...
You are quite outspoken in the group...

#scoffz. . . Am done doing those mumu things. . . Am done with childish things . . .
Have been on a low profile in the group for the past few month. . . . . . .
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akisoft(m): 4:21pm On Jan 02, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

true but in deeper sense...logic is the building block of CS....I'm in 300L and we stopped doing math courses since 200L 1st semester... just because a person is a math guru doesn't mean he will be great at computing, I've seen this firsthand although you need a good level of math knowledge (B or C grade level) and you good to go.
I checked Harvard curriculum and no math course....they focus on algorithms... check out CS50 by professor David Malan
About logic you are correct, you need that in programming, but I can tell you from experience, you need math as a computer scientists, I have assisted in at least 5 phd research, 15 Msc research, between 2011 -2016 you need to present a mathematical model for your proposed solution to any problem you were able to identify during your project research, Bsc project may not involve that, but msc and phd will surely do
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2018
guru90:

additional...

It translates it to machine language (Binary code (0 and 1))........
Yeah... (thumbs up)
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2018
Vstuffs:

Sir, a programmer is not a Computer Scientist, it is more like comparing a Bricklayer and a Civil or an Architecture Engineer

Computer science is wide sir, and programming is under computer science. So how will a person be a programmer and not a computer scientist..

I think nairalanders should give their comment on this
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ClintonNzedimma(m): 5:01pm On Jan 02, 2018
akisoft:

About logic you are correct, you need that in programming, but I can tell you from experience, you need math as a computer scientists, I have assisted in at least 5 phd research, 15 Msc research, between 2011 -2016 you need to present a mathematical model for your proposed solution to any problem you were able to identify during your project research, Bsc project may not involve that, but msc and phd will surely do
oboy...e mean say I don hammer be that na....u go assist me for my own
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Rukkive: 5:20pm On Jan 02, 2018
adigun27:
. Mr man I don't agree with u EKSU has no good lectural in computer science no effective laboratory non of dem can write programming for it to run on a system na saddest dem get like doctor Mrs oyinloye but ask her to write programming and run it na zero b DAT

It is very important to understand what computer Science is. When you learn a programming language it is like learning yoruba generating appropriate statements in Yoruba Bt that does not make you a Yoruba person by birth, there will be plenty of word history in the language u would never understand . This analogy applies to those who learn programming languages without a proper education in CSC . Programming languages are only mediums/tools used to implement algorithms that those who didn't study computer Science can never understand. How do you explain computational complexities key for evaluation of most CSC systems especially in security. You see a brief definition of who computer scientist are, is captioned in the definition below:
Computer science is the study of computational processes and information structures, including
their hardware realizations, their linguistic models, and their applications. Areas in CSC include:

algorithms, architecture, computational science, graphics, human-computer interaction, information management, intelligent systems, net-centric computing, operating systems, programming languages, and software engineering.

Those who study CSC don't engage in trial and errors because they understand the principles.
EkSU is a good ground to learn Computer Science as all classes are both theoretical and practical encompassing. Even our hardware lab where we discuss and design, implement digital logic , design/implement computer arithmetic and architecture is something to admire. Everyone of Our lecturers are practically equipped.

As for that student, you certainly are one of those spill bad eggs who chose the course computer Science thinking it is bribe your way around event and no true practical understanding, the lecturer you mentioned uses C++ while teaching data structures and Java.
Computer science embraces math, physics,biology.
Understand that no subject is irrelevant in the course of studying CSC, today we have computational biology. Most security systems are exploiting biology for effective security but we still deal with the place of computational complexity in memory and time.
Researches in security are exploring every relevant course to improve on available security.

Computer scientist are not just programmers they are computer Science, the future.
The person who gave this information on the choice of school is RIGHT to have included EKSU.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by guru90: 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2018
jerrisonjeff:
ITS GOOD BUT PROGRAMING IS VERY VAST.....
WITH MANY LANGUAGES....IF U FOCUS ON JAVA SOME INDUSTRY WILL SAY ITS C++ OR C# LANGUAGE WHILE SOME STILL LIKES FORTRAN,
Q-BASICS AND PYTHON

MY REASON IS PROGRAMMING IS VAST AND MY HEAD CANNOT CARRY IT....
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
x=3;
y=5;
z=x+y;
..............etc

u just coded in C++ language.....

well at least I know 6 programming languages... include Mysql and Oracle
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jumaian(m): 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2018
patriotsam:

U said "we computer scientist build tools and analyze PROGRAMS".... May I ask what will you use to build the tools, is it not by PROGRAMMING.

"anybody can be a programmer".. So far someone is a programmer, he's already a computer scientist.
Though I agree computer science is wide but you cannot say a programmer is not a computer scientist

Being a programmer doesn't make you a computer scientist. Google about what computer science entails. Does ordinary programmers know algorithms? Can they analyse algorithms? Do they know how those programs run in the computer? Do they under computer architecture? A pol Sci student can learn how to program but they are not computer scientist. Do you know the reason why some companies demand that you have your first degree in computer science before they can employ u to their IT department? Because they understand what it takes to be a computer scientist.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 9:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
jumaian:

Being a programmer doesn't make you a computer scientist. Google about what computer science entails. Does ordinary programmers know algorithms? Can they analyse algorithms? Do they know how those programs run in the computer? Do they under computer architecture? A pol Sci student can learn how to program but they are not computer scientist. Do you know the reason why some companies demand that you have your first degree in computer science before they can employ u to their IT department? Because they understand what it takes to be a computer scientist.

I'm not saying computer science is all about programming, but programming is under computer science and for someone to know programming, he's already a computer scientist.

Abeg, nairalanders, contribute to this argument
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Dohyn3(f): 11:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
izzyybothe17:

#scoffz. . . Am done doing those mumu things. . . Am done with childish things . . .
Have been on a low profile in the group for the past few month. . . . . . .

Oh... Its been long I visited there, well...
The group can be quite annoying.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Dnlorji(m): 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2018
Look guys, CS isn't about mathematics only, please stop saying that. It's about how well your problem solving skills are, which means you should be good at logic.

Different problems have different solutions, e.g. if you're working in a scientific company, chances are your programming will involve lots of formulas and equations. However, if you're working in a place that isn't really scientific or similar, chances are you won't use maths often

The programming aspect of CS is just like real languages, someone may know big grammar and long words(formulae and equations) but he may not tailor them well to write a script, story, poem, essay or article, and as such he has failed to communicate.
Now if another knows simple grammar but can arrange it in a pleasing way to be enjoyed, he has communicated and solved problems, that's logic and good thinking at play.

Computer Science is about how well you can use the computer to solve problems, not endless equations that lead nowhere
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ClassicMcGee(m): 2:01pm On May 25, 2018
Let's continue... ;DLet's continue...
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by javascript1901: 6:22pm On Apr 26
akisoft:

Mathematics is one of the building blocks of been a computer scientists, but I will tell you why most ppl will disagree, because they think, computer science only involves website designing, basic application development..., as a computer scientists one of things you should able to do is writting complex algorithm to solve complex problems, like routing, cryptography, data mining, Natural Language processing, facial recognition... which requires some math like set theory, geometry, abstract maths(groups and rings, number theory etc..)
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by javascript1901: 6:23pm On Apr 26
Dnlorji:
Look guys, CS isn't about mathematics only, please stop saying that. It's about how well your problem solving skills are, which means you should be good at logic.

Different problems have different solutions, e.g. if you're working in a scientific company, chances are your programming will involve lots of formulas and equations. However, if you're working in a place that isn't really scientific or similar, chances are you won't use maths often

The programming aspect of CS is just like real languages, someone may know big grammar and long words(formulae and equations) but he may not tailor them well to write a script, story, poem, essay or article, and as such he has failed to communicate.
Now if another knows simple grammar but can arrange it in a pleasing way to be enjoyed, he has communicated and solved problems, that's logic and good thinking at play.

Computer Science is about how well you can use the computer to solve problems, not endless equations that lead nowhere

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by javascript1901: 6:30pm On Apr 26
Rukkive:

It is very important to understand what computer Science is. When you learn a programming language it is like learning yoruba generating appropriate statements in Yoruba Bt that does not make you a Yoruba person by birth, there will be plenty of word history in the language u would never understand . This analogy applies to those who learn programming languages without a proper education in CSC . Programming languages are only mediums/tools used to implement algorithms that those who didn't study computer Science can never understand. How do you explain computational complexities key for evaluation of most CSC systems especially in security. You see a brief definition of who computer scientist are, is captioned in the definition below:
Computer science is the study of computational processes and information structures, including
their hardware realizations, their linguistic models, and their applications. Areas in CSC include:

algorithms, architecture, computational science, graphics, human-computer interaction, information management, intelligent systems, net-centric computing, operating systems, programming languages, and software engineering.

Those who study CSC don't engage in trial and errors because they understand the principles.
EkSU is a good ground to learn Computer Science as all classes are both theoretical and practical encompassing. Even our hardware lab where we discuss and design, implement digital logic , design/implement computer arithmetic and architecture is something to admire. Everyone of Our lecturers are practically equipped.

As for that student, you certainly are one of those spill bad eggs who chose the course computer Science thinking it is bribe your way around event and no true practical understanding, the lecturer you mentioned uses C++ while teaching data structures and Java.
Computer science embraces math, physics,biology.
Understand that no subject is irrelevant in the course of studying CSC, today we have computational biology. Most security systems are exploiting biology for effective security but we still deal with the place of computational complexity in memory and time.
Researches in security are exploring every relevant course to improve on available security.

Computer scientist are not just programmers they are computer Science, the future.
The person who gave this information on the choice of school is RIGHT to have included EKSU.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 15 Most Competitive Universities In Nigeria / Zuwaira Muhammad, FCE Student, Missing In Adamawa (Photos) / Indefinite Strike Is Imminent, ASUU Chairman Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.