Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,450 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi (1217 Views)

Petrol Price May Increase As Brent Stabilises Around $35/barrel / Nigerian Government May Increase VAT To Fund New Minimum Wage / FG May Increase Petrol Price To N180 Per Litre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by ivandragon: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2018
We may increase railway transportation fare, it’s too cheap – Amaechi

The Minister of Transportation, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, says Federal Government may increase the transport fares of the rail services on the Abuja-Kaduna route following the inauguration of 10 new luxurious coaches.

Ameachi announced this when he fielded questions from State House correspondents after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari in the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Tuesday.

According to him, already, commuters have agreed that the cost of transportation to Kaduna via the rail service is a bit too cheap.

The Minister, who said he discussed the inauguration of the 10 new coaches and two locomotives with the President, revealed that the new coaches would be inaugurated on Thursday.

“The president is pleased with the arrangement because basically we will then be able to discharge the passengers pressure that we have had; that is why you have ticket racketeering.

“When demand outstrips supply then you see all sorts of attempts to cheat the passengers.
“There are two things I know the president likes. I have mentioned one, the second one, is after commissioning even the passengers agree that the cost of transportation to Kaduna via the railway is a bit too cheap.
“So there will be a need to increase the price and then there will be more comfort.

“More comfort in the sense that when you have excess seats multiplied by the number of passengers that will come, then anybody that wants to racketeer will have to eat the tickets himself,’’ he added.

He stated that the new coaches, when inaugurated, would bring the total number of coaches to 14 on the Kaduna-Abuja route.

According to the minister, one of the locomotives will be dedicated to direct trip from Kaduna to Abuja non-stop (that should be doing 1hr:15 or 1hr:20 minutes non-stop).

He said this would enable those “living in Kaduna and working in Abuja to actually come to work on time. If you leave at 6.00a.m by 7:15a.m, 7:20a.m you should be in Abuja.’’

On the reported killing of 21 residents of Rivers on the eve of New Year, Amaechi stressed the need for the state government to take security of life and property of its citizens more seriously.

He said: “I think the governor needs to get a bit more serious, he should stop encouraging the militant groups in the name of politics and election.

“You heard about 21 only in Omoku, what about in Akutoru where two persons were killed, what about other local government areas.

“I think there should be much more than age to qualify to be a governor because it takes much more than age.

“I was governor of Rivers State, I did not play PDP/APC politics; life is life, it has no symbol. Nobody has APC life or PDP life.

“The first responsibility of a governor, which is what the oath of office requires, is that you swear to protect lives and property.

“When you don’t protect life and property, what do you do? – is impeachment. Unfortunately there is no House of Assembly in Rivers State.’’

The minister, who stated that he had earlier sworn not to be talking about Rivers anymore, said “but you don’t keep quiet in the face of 21 lives, you can’t just keep quiet.

“I have said it that nobody should criticise my successor, let him do his beat. But a successor that watches the lives of people go like that and does not care? God will bless him.’’

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/well-increase-railway-transportation-fare-cheap-amaechi/
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by TheHistorian(m): 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2018
I'm proud of PMB's led government.

He has resuscitated the railway system in short time,such a very resolute man.

Unlike the Otuoke drunk that was shamelessly disgraced out of office who had the excess of resources but was only successful at building primitive and locomotive railway system that the Chinese had used 200 years ago.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by biacan(f): 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2018
Can you imagine the trash this guy is spewing...... if you ever increase it your life will be so cheap for tout to vent on

2 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 02, 2018
Hmm..
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by ivandragon: 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2018
like I have always said, pmb's idea of a progressive & prosperous country is when the masses are impoverished & can barely afford the niceties of life...

pmb believes that people should be subsistence farmers, producing what they can 'exist' on, that is why he pushes everyone to farms while his people get juicy jobs...

pmb is happy when masses queue endlessly for the basic necessities of life, he believes only a few should truly enjoy & if that few is not ordained by him, then they must grovel like the rest of the common man...

6 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Blackfire(m): 5:05pm On Jan 02, 2018
click like for thunder to fire amechi and APC.

clikck share if u want more blessings on them

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by TheUbermensch: 5:11pm On Jan 02, 2018
Because of few coaches that they managed to add (which is long overdue) they now want to increase the fare. What is the rubbish meant by "It's too cheap"?! Isn't that the whole idea? In saner climes Train Transport is the cheapest form of getting across cities, but here we are ranting because it's too cheap. Smh

2 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Daviddson(m): 5:13pm On Jan 02, 2018
That's fine. One of Nigerians' major problems is the like for free things. If possible, we'd rejoice if the FG announces that petrol has become free, Internet services are now being paid for by the FG, toll gate has been abolished and a host of others. But the bad news is that the monies that should have been spent on infrastructure development such as rail services, power, education, public housing, opening governmentowned industries - would go into catering for all of these personal inanities. At the end, we lose. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by okosodo: 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2018
What is my concern. The useless and bigoted railways are of no benefit to the poor

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Biggie225(m): 5:21pm On Jan 02, 2018
Who built the Railway in the first place..

Jonathan Pdp or buhari apc?

Correct answer u get 1000 recharge card
3253 4**9 2113 84*6

Apc zombies only

3 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by magoo10(m): 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2018
Train fares are usually relatively cheap in places of the world where they are being operated.

Come to think of it, is it a crime if Nigerians ever enjoys a service that is provided cheap by the government.

Even if you want to make an increase in train fares it should not be the type that attracts public attention, a very little increase should do. APC is scam

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by 2cato: 5:27pm On Jan 02, 2018
Who build the railway line Like for buhari Share for gej
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by plessis: 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
They are all about making things difficult for the average Nigerian.

Cursed people

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by sekxyqueen(f): 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
they don't like when masses enjoy things at cheaper rate...in other words they are behind the incessant increase in the prices of goods since it was too affordable. .

thunder from heaven scatter you and your generation..

if you have a son,start praying for forgiveness
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Paperwhite(m): 5:32pm On Jan 02, 2018
Useless people in government. angry All they know is how to inflict hardship and more hardship. undecided

2 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by delugajackson: 5:39pm On Jan 02, 2018
TheHistorian:

Unlike the Otuoke drunk that was shamelessly disgraced out of office who had the excess of resources but was only successful at building primitive and locomotive railway system that the Chinese had used 200 years ago.
Its really shameful that you had to drag GEJ into this. The man wants to increase fares and you don't see anything wrong with that. Your case is serious.

7 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 02, 2018
I honestly won't say anything anymore..............I guess it is the dividend of choice undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by shortgun(m): 5:48pm On Jan 02, 2018
always looking for ways to increase suffering for the people

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by SalamRushdie: 5:55pm On Jan 02, 2018
Coaches ordered by the previous govt..Ameachi is shameless

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by bro4u: 6:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
Blackfire:
click like for thunder to fire amechi and APC.

clikck share if u want more blessings on them
my brother, i just want to let you know that i liked your post using two of my accounts.
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2018
[s]
SalamRushdie:
Coaches ordered by the previous govt..Ameachi is shameless
[/s]

Embittered Biafran Soul...
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by aolawale025: 6:46pm On Jan 02, 2018
The premise is even wrong. Are they increasing the fares because it's cheap or to recover operating costs?
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by nwoke37: 6:48pm On Jan 02, 2018
Meanwhile, Ambode has started 911 emergency service in Lagos!!
Check it out below..
https://www.nairaland.com/4265204/lagos-gets-911-service
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by dodelight(m): 9:59pm On Jan 02, 2018
TheHistorian:

I guess you just woke up from coma? Which railway did your Buhari's administration fix. Sorry to burst your bubble, the so called Otuoke drunk, Jonathan fixed railway!

5 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by fitzmayowa: 10:59pm On Jan 02, 2018
TheHistorian:

A Minister is talking about increasing fare and all you could rant about is the " otuoke drunk" who has left power almost 3years ago

Is the "otuoke drunk" giving you nightmare how did "otuoke drunk" getting into this post

It's too early in the year to be hooked on cheap drugs...SMH

3 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by obailala(m): 11:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
TheUbermensch:
Because of few coaches that they managed to add (which is long overdue) they now want to increase the fare. What is the rubbish meant by "It's too cheap"?! Isn't that the whole idea? In saner climes Train Transport is the cheapest form of getting across cities, but here we are ranting because it's too cheap. Smh
Please in which saner clime is train transport cheaper?.... At least in the UK which I know, train transport is most expensive (even more expensive than flying most times). So are you really sure speed train service is cheaper than using coaches (buses) anywhere in the developed world?

The truth of the matter is that at the current 'political' (not economic) cheap pricing template, the train system cant even recover it's operational or maintenance costs and it remains an unsustainable liability (waiting to go rotten) instead of an asset to the government.

cc: magoo10
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by otipoju(m): 11:33pm On Jan 02, 2018
Daviddson:
That's fine. One of Nigerians' major problems is the like for free things. If possible, we'd rejoice if the FG announces that petrol has become free, Internet services are now being paid for by the FG, toll gate has been abolished and a host of others. But the bad news is that the monies that should have been spent on infrastructure development such as rail services, power, education, public housing, opening governmentowned industries - would go into catering for all of these personal inanities. At the end, we lose. smiley

How can you conclude that Nigerians like free things when they have never enjoyed anything for free.

Kindly mention one thing that Nigerians do not pay for..

Transportation
Healthcare
Telecommunications
Food
Electricity
Education

Please just name one thing.

1 Like

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by dubemnaija: 11:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Embittered Biafran Soul...

She-male undecided

2 Likes

Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by obailala(m): 11:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
aolawale025:
The premise is even wrong. Are they increasing the fares because it's cheap or to recover operating costs?
The current pricing template is purely political (i.e. arbitrarily fixed by govt) and makes no economic sense. The trains currently cant even recover their operating costs, let alone maintenance or other costs.
Re: We May Increase Railway Transportation Fare, It’s Too Cheap – Amaechi by amarilo: 12:36am On Jan 03, 2018
obailala:
Please in which saner clime is train transport cheaper?.... At least in the UK which I know, train transport is most expensive (even more expensive than flying most times). So are you really sure speed train service is cheaper than using coaches (buses) anywhere in the developed world?

The truth of the matter is that at the current 'political' (not economic) cheap pricing template, the train system cant even recover it's operational or maintenance costs and it remains an unsustainable liability (waiting to go rotten) instead of an asset to the government.

cc: magoo10
Train is cheaper in saner climes. UK is just an exception cus its managed by investors and not the govt. Funny enough those investors are government of other countries. In Germany a season ticket for the whole country is half the price of a season ticket from Peterborough to London and London to peterborough.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think of This Facebook Discussion? / Breaking News! Police Arrest Omo Agege. Senator From Delta (pictures) / Tinubu Considers Afikuyomi, Ganiyu Solomon For Lagos APC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.