Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo - Literature (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo (571602 Views)

UNDERRATED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo / TOLERATED By Toyin Taiwo / PASTORZONED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Bdemmy4real: 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2018
Thanks for the update
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Azzy994(f): 7:19pm On Jan 30, 2018
thanks for the update aunty cbella, send my regard to aunty Toyin Taiwo

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 30, 2018
cbella:
Please, Rachealfst's is not able to log in now so I will update on her behalf shortly.

She will continue when she gets back

I hope all is well?

meanwhile, who is Cbella?
what inspired her username?
I hope she will be kind enough to share her address? so that if she doesn't update us in time, we will know where to get the verbal update.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by cbella(f): 11:58pm On Jan 30, 2018
unpredictedone:

I hope all is well?

I hope she will be kind enough to share her address? so that if she doesn't update us in time, we will know where to get the verbal update.

Lolzz... Sorry I laughed
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Pearl05(f): 8:55am On Jan 31, 2018
unpredictedone:

I hope all is well?

The book is on Okadabooks if you can't wait for the updates.
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Dessydemmy: 10:10am On Jan 31, 2018
Why you no mention dessydemmy since, so all of you dey here dey enjoy am alone.
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 31, 2018
cbella:

Lolzz... Sorry I laughed
hmmm!, when a lady laugh instead, responding to questions, just know she has a lot to say.

pls answer my questions, bike!.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 31, 2018
Pearl05:

The book is on Okadabooks if you can't wait for the updates.
thanks, I never knew.
hope you've exhausted the whole story?
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Twinkle004(f): 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2018
rachealfst permit me to sing this song to the Glory of God in your life
Olowogbogboro has turned things around(*3)
For my good,
For my good. May your testimony be permanent
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by afolabiwunmi: 4:18pm On Jan 31, 2018
Crystal the poor girl be strong, kudos to you maam
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by teel123(f): 11:29am On Feb 01, 2018
hello, anybody home######
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by honourable356(m): 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2018
cbella, can I have her digits? I mean Toyin**
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by kayceerilyn(f): 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2018
I want her number too please..... Is she fine??

Jeez.... I'm worried about her
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by rachealfst(f): 6:34pm On Feb 01, 2018
Dedication:
Cbella, kayceerilyn, Pearl05, unpredictedtone, honourable356, Twinkle004, seg005, Bdemmy4real, JMK9600, Maymac, Azzy994, vickyluvspices, ogunholla and all the futarians on this thread.

AFAM

Oba, I intentionally not mentioned it to you, at first I did it for protection but later when I got to know you better I decided to tell you. But I decided against it again because I don't want you to see me as one big man that is not approachable. I love the way we relate and I don't want anything to change that. I'm really sorry son" I said and patted his shoulder.
"Daddy Afam you have the right to be discreet about your personal life, I'm just surprised. That's all" he said with a blank expression.

The drive back to the hotel was quiet. He drove into the hotel and parked.
"It's late Oba, just pass the night here"
"It's just pass 10pm sir. I can still make it home"
"I insist. Remember I have a 8am flight to catch tomorrow and you are taking me"
He came out of the car and locked the door. I moved over to his side and held his hands.
"Oba! I told you everything about my past. You even helped me find Amara and my daughter. My company is the only thing I kept from you. Don't you feel that if you know me well enough you might not be free with me the way you used too?"
"It's ok sir, I understand perfectly well"
"So are we good?" I asked.
He spread his hands and gave me a hug. I hugged him and patted his back. I released him and looked into his eyes.
"Ever since I met you, I'd always wished you are my son and I place you in my heart as one. I love you that much Oba"
"Thank you sir and I've always look up to you like a father as well"
"Now enough of this emotional talk, let's go in" I said patting his back again as we walked into the hotel like the father and son that we are.

____________________Toyin Taiwo
OBA
The next day, I took Dady Afam to Muritala Mohammed airport. He introduced me to his PA, who was already waiting at the terminal by the time we got there.
I received a message on my phone. It was a bank alert. Afam transferred #50k into my account.
"Sir, you don't have to this" I told him.
"Oba, you won't be working till I'm back from India. Please stay with my family. I beg of you"
"Still you don't have to pay me for that, I already promised you I won't leave their side"
"That's the right thing to do, you have a family to take care of, remember. So I can’t keep you from work for days without pay" he explained.
I was with him till they boarded the plane. I left the airport for the hospital. I bought some things they'll need at the hospital on my way including food.
I got to the ward. I greeted them, Crystal looked a lot better than the previous day. The doctors came in and observed her. He prescribed some drugs for her. I collected the prescription pad and went to the hospital pharmacy to get the drugs. I instructed her to eat the food I brought, so she could take her drugs once I'm back.

I came back and the doctors had left but I met a guy, I recognized him from yesterday, I guessed he was Crystal's boyfriend. I could sensed that from his reactions the previous day. He later left for work that morning.
I was there through out the day. Some people came from her company to check her. I was at the corridor till they left. In the evening all her friends including her secretary came to visit her.
Daddy Afam called that night when he arrived India. He spoke at length with his daughter. Then her mum, he also spoke with me too.
I left the hospital very late in the night. Mother and daughter expressed how grateful they are.
I got to my apartment later that night. I was about to UnCloth when I heard someone knocking at the door.
"Who is there? I asked. It was my Landlord's daughter. So I opened the door.
"Good evening" she said smiling.
"Good evening. How is school, when did you come back?"
"This afternoon, school is fine, thanks.
Ayo is a 300l student of FUNAB. She's nice to me and always stop by to say hi to me whenever she's around.
I opened the door wider for her to come inside.
"I'm sorry, it's late, but I just had to come say hi when I heard you drove into the compound cos I'm sure you would leave the country early tomorrow morning before I even get out of bed" she said.
"Don't mind me, that's the nature of my job. So are you on break or you just came home to pack Mummy's foodstuff"
She laughed. "No we are on break this time. We just finished our 2nd semester exam. I'll be spending two months at home"
"Good for you then, and I'm sure you would have grown fat before resumption. So enjoy your break to the fullest” I said jokingly.
"I will trust me. But Oba you never called me for once and you have my number. I even called severally but you never returned my calls" she queried.
"Ayo, I'm really sorry. I'm a very busy person. Although that's not an excuse. So please accept my apology"
"Apology accepted, now that I'm home, you'll be seeing more of me even though I know you will never check on me unless I come down to your room" She accused.
I know Ayo is hitting on me but I use to pretend I didn't get the message.
"Ayo.....you know It's not like that"
"It's not like what, I know you are just talking with me because I'm your Landlord's daughter. You don't like me" She scoffed.
"Why would you talk like that, of course I like you, I don't hate you"
I tried to answer calmly but deep down within me all I want is to be alone. I had a long day already and I'm so tired. But I had to keep my cool. It's not easy having someone admitted in the hospital. Since the patient relatives has to do all the running around.
"Ok, if you like me as you claim, then give me a spare key to your apartment"
"My key! Why?" I sounded a bit pissed this time.
"I can relax here during the day before you come back from work"
I don’t know what happened to her father's house that she can't relax there. Cos right now I'm wondering when my room turned into a relaxation center. I thought within me. I watched her closely as she continued.
"I can also prepare you dinner"
"Really!" I scoffed. "Ayo! Listen, I'm a very straight forward person. Can I come out straight with you?"
"Yes, you can" she replied.
"I know what you want from me but the thing is that I like you as a friend and not as a woman. I'd love to be just your friend if you don't mind" I paused to allow my word sink and look out for her expression. I continued.
"Ayo, you are very beautiful and I know you are not hearing this for the first time. I'm sure you have guys crawling over you in school. You don't have to give your love to someone who wouldn't reciprocate it. There's nothing hurtful than loving someone who doesn't love you back" I said slowly and calmly.
" Obafemi!"
Geez, she even knew my name in full. I said to myself.
"Why can't you love me back, you said it yourself that I'm beautiful. So what else do you want or is it because I'm your Landlord's daughter?"
"No, far from it"
"You know they can't object, they like you and regard you"
"Ayo, please don't do this to yourself, let go of whatever feelings you have for me. Hun!
"I won't, I know you'll learn to love me one day. Good night" she said and left.

I just stood there as I watched the door closed after her. For God sake what I'm I suppose to do. I don't feel anything for her. I don't know why she's interested in someone like me, a cab driver from a poor family while she's an undergraduate from a comfortable home.
I went into the kitchen and picked two sliced bread from the fridge and a bottle of coke. I ate and slept.

I continued my daily routine to the hospital till Crystal was discharged some days later.
I took her home the day she was discharged together with her mum.

CRYSTAL
I was given two weeks sick leave at the office after I was discharged from the hospital. After spending a whole week in the house, I became bored. My Dad was back from his trip and he comes to the house everyday but I'm just tired of staying at home. Mum goes to work and come back in the evening. Some of my friends too come visiting especially Zite and Soma. I remember the last time they all came they all insisted on signing on the pop cast but I refused. I wished they could come every day but they all have businesses to run.

I sincerely miss office, so I decided to resume work the following week. It's just my left hand that is on cast my whole body is fine.
I told my parents and they refused. They insisted on me spending the two weeks sick leave at home. Before I thought my mum was protective, my dad is overprotective.
Luckily for me, I was able to convince them but my father gave me one condition that we have to confirm first from my orthopedic doctor if I'm fit to start work.

Oba drove us to the hospital and the doctor have me checked. After examining me, he said I can start work but I must not stress the hand and I must make sure I rest well every time I'm back from work. He also prescribed another drug in additions to the one administered before. I protested because I know that drug will not make me to be active at work.
"Oh this is the disadvantage of having a medical personnel as your patient" The doctor said jokingly.
He prescribed another that will make me more active. He said the drug should be taken at night ad it will help me relax well. With that we left the hospital.

My dad assigned Oba to take me to work in my car and bring me back home back everyday till the cast is removed and I could drive on my own.
"Dad, I can go with the staff bus"
"God! Why do you just love making yourself uncomfortable? He is taking you and that is final" He said with a note of warning.
"Yes sir" was all I could say. My father can be strict sometimes.

My mum didn't say a word she was just watching our drama.
"Daddy, what about you, you need Oba too" I said feeling concerned.
"Don't worry about me, you need him more" he said and I held my peace.

On Monday morning, by 6:30am, Oba was at my place to pick me up for work. One thing I like about him is his dress sense sometimes I wonder if it's actually a cab man or he’s just using his work as a cover up but dad trusted him so no problem.

He drop me off and left. My colleagues we're so happy to see me. I didn't tell them I was resuming that Monday, so they we're all surprised. They even thought I came to the office to pick up something before I told I'm tired of staying indoors. My secretary too couldn't hide her joy.
"Don't call Soma!" I warned her sternly.
"I won't ma" she said.
I didn't tell my friends that I'm starting work today. I'll tell them days later. I don't want anyone to skin me alive.

HAPPY NEW MONTH

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by thiolhuwar09(f): 6:56pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month to you too. Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by dissybling(f): 7:01pm On Feb 01, 2018
tanks for the update...

2 Likes

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by aprilwise(m): 7:07pm On Feb 01, 2018
Thanks for the update. every episode is on point.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Pearl05(f): 7:41pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month darling. Welcome back and thanks for the update. Every update I a hit back-to-back.

kiss for the dedication.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by dsimple1(m): 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month dear.....

:DHappy new month dear.....

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by peejaylemmy(f): 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2018
Welcome back,thanks for the update and happy new month

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Sexyolori(f): 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2018
Thanks for the update Darl.How have u been?Happy new month

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by DemiKOL(f): 8:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
Whao!

Thanks for the dedication!

and thanks for the update!

More grace.... smiley

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by princessadeola(f): 8:39pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy New Month

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Jane1234f(f): 9:14pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month to you too,thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Azzy994(f): 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2018
happy new month, welcome back, thanks for the update and dedication. u are a treasure to be cherish. love u

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Bdemmy4real: 9:22pm On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month to you too and thanks for the update,More wisdom

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by temig(f): 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2018
same to you @ toyin taiwo thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Mcweber(m): 10:18pm On Feb 01, 2018
Issokay.... Following

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by honourable356(m): 10:49pm On Feb 01, 2018
short and beautiful.. No criticism at the moment except that it is rare to find an Oba nowadays.
You didn't please
or
Ping me on whatsapp only I wish to discuss personally with you.
Good night

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by vickyluvspices(f): 10:54pm On Feb 01, 2018
Yipee! Yippee! Yayy! She finally came to feed her starved children. Tanks mum for d dedication and update. AND HAPPY NEW MONTH TREADYS

2 Likes

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Pinkfeet: 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2018
happy new month
thanks for the update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 02, 2018
I've been up since after 9 reading this lovely write up and now,it's 12:55. I swear, i'm really enjoying this. Kudos, dear writer, you rock.More grace, intelligence and other blessings come your way IJN!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (67) (Reply)

My Life On Campus (A True Life Story). / Red Ashes / Beauty And The Mechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.