Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,233 members, 7,818,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards (1871 Views)

Burial Of Abdukareem Abdullah, The Chief Imam Of Igbo Eze South, Enugu (Photos) / Abdukareem Abdullah Is Dead: Igbo Muslims In Enugu Mourn Death Of Chief Imam / 'Abdullah Ibn Salam: From Judaism To Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
The three fierce -looking bodyguards standing behind King Abdullah of Jordan are - believe it or not - Jews. But you thought that asdhimmis, Jews in the Muslim world were not allowed to carry weapons. You would be right - but these young men are from the Habbani tribe in Yemen - and they were among very few Jews not only allowed to carry theJambiya,but prized for their qualities as warriors. Why did king Abdullah choose Jews to guard him? Because they could be trusted, as their whole tribe would be held hostage to their good behaviour. (With thanks: Torbjorn)

Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
abdelrahman:
The three fierce -looking bodyguards standing behind King Abdullah of Jordan are - believe it or not - Jews. But you thought that asdhimmis, Jews in the Muslim world were not allowed to carry weapons. You would be right - but these young men are from the Habbani tribe in Yemen - and they were among very few Jews not only allowed to carry theJambiya,but prized for their qualities as warriors. Why did king Abdullah choose Jews to guard him? Because they could be trusted, as their whole tribe would be held hostage to their good behaviour. (With thanks: Torbjorn)
FromWikipedia: Habbani Jews were described as taller, more muscular, and darker than their Muslim neighbors. The men did not sport peyotlike other Yemeni Jews, and, rather than covering their heads, wore an oiled thong through their characteristically long hair. They plucked their mustaches, distinct from other Jews, but similar to neighboring Muslims. They wore a blue prayer shawl over one shoulder, or walked bare chested, smearing their torsos with sesame oil and indigo. A course calico loincloth, died indigo, covered their bottom, and they typically walked barefoot or with sandals. The women wore their hair in tiny braids, and wore loose-fitting embroidered dresses. [38] Unlike the Jews of northern Yemen, the Habbani Jews wore a Jambiyaor curved knife, Matznaph (turban) and Avne`t (sash). It was very uncommon for Jews in Yemen, outside of Habban, to wear the Jambiya. [39] Sultans in Arabiaemployed Habbani Jews as soldiers in their armies or as personal guards. [40]Habbani Jews sometimes served as mercenaries; Abdullah I of Jordan, who preferred Circassiansand other non- Arabbodyguards, had a number of Habbani Jewish guardsmen, including Sayeed Sofer, and his brothers Salaah and Saadia. (...) TheHabbani Jews( Hebrew: חַבָּאנִים, Standard:Ḥabbanim) are a Jewish tribal groupof Yemenite Jewsfrom the Habbanregion in eastern Yemen(in modern Shabwah Governorate). The city of Habban had a Jewish community of 450 in 1947, which was considered to possibly be the remains of a larger community which lived in independently in the region before its decline in the 6th century. The Jewish community of Habban disappeared from the map of the Hadramut, in southeast Yemen, with the emigration of all of its members to Israel in the 1950s. In 1912 Zionistemissary Shmuel Yavne'eli
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2018
came into contact with Habbani Jews who ransomed him when he was captured and robbed by eight Bedouinin southern Yemen. Yavnieli wrote about the Jews of Habban describing them in the following way. The Jews in these parts are held in high esteem by everyone in Yemen and Aden. They are said to be courageous, always with their weapons and wild long hair, and the names of their towns are mentioned by the Jews of Yemen with great admiration. [22]​ Yavne'eli further described the community structure by stating that the Zecharyah clan were the first of the Habbani Jewish clans and that they were local merchants of silver, leather pelts, and cobbling. He further noted that meat was only eaten on the Shabbat and even coffee was considered a luxury. [23] According to Rabbi Yoseph Maghori-Kohen: The Habbanis were mighty heroes. I heard a lot from elders in my youth about the Habbanis, about their wars, how they would fight ‘according to names’. What does it mean ‘according to names’? –the letters: They would make the shape of the [Hebrew] letters with their hands, and by this they would be victorious. Also the Shar`abim–from the city of Shar`ab–were strong, but not to the same degree as the Habbanis. Once in Yemen there was a wild tribe of murderous Arab warriors that conquered town after town, slaughtering whomever they found. Thus they moved forward from settlement to settlement: killing, destroying–may their names by blotted out–until they approached a city of Jews, 13,000 Jews roughly. Everyone felt hopeless-even the Arabs among them put up their hands, searching for a place to escape. Suddenly ten [Jewish] Habbanis arrived and waged war with them–ten against a thousand–and vanquished all of them. Not even one of those warriors was left alive, and not one of the ten fell. [24]​ Yavne'eli indicated that in 1911 there were only 60 Jewish families left in Habban. Bin Ibrahim Habbani, who was born in Habban and emigrated to Israel in 1945, indicated there were 700 Jews in Hadhramaut, 450 of which were in Habban. [25] Habbani Jews were extremely reluctant to migrate to Israel, citing their good relations with their neighbors. [26]In 1945, a Habbani Jew claimed to be the Messiah, gathering both a Jewish and Muslim following from Hadhramaut and made his way to Beihar. He became known for his pomp and extravagance, decorating his horse's saddle with gold and silver. Following a large battle where the alleged Messiah and his followers were vanquished, tensions between some of the Muslim rulers and the Jewish communities were accentuated. [27]Some Habbani Jews blamed activities and letters by the Jewish Agencyfor aggravating tensions further. [28] After 1948, small numbers of Habbani Jews made their way to Aden[then under British administration], sometimes fighting hostile Arab tribes along the way. From there they were airlifteden masseto Israelas part of Operation Flying Carpet. The vanguard of the Habbani Jews was led by Zecharyah Habbani who kept after the officials in charge of immigration to accelerate the transfer of the Jews from the Hadramaut to the Land of Israel. They are in dere distress," he reported. "They are suffering from hunger and from the edicts of Hussein Abdallah of Habban and his sons. They are also in debt to the Moslems, who charge them exorbiant rates of interest." The Jewish Agency took action, and few families left the Hadramaut. [29]After 1948, small numbers of Habbani Jews made their way to Aden, sometimes fighting hostile Arab tribes along the way. From there they were airlifteden masseto Israelas part of Operation Flying Carpet. The Sofer family and Yehoshua Sofer, Abir of martial arts
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2018
abdelrahman:
came into contact with Habbani Jews who ransomed him when he was captured and robbed by eight Bedouinin southern Yemen. Yavnieli wrote about the Jews of Habban describing them in the following way. The Jews in these parts are held in high esteem by everyone in Yemen and Aden. They are said to be courageous, always with their weapons and wild long hair, and the names of their towns are mentioned by the Jews of Yemen with great admiration. [22]​ Yavne'eli further described the community structure by stating that the Zecharyah clan were the first of the Habbani Jewish clans and that they were local merchants of silver, leather pelts, and cobbling. He further noted that meat was only eaten on the Shabbat and even coffee was considered a luxury. [23] According to Rabbi Yoseph Maghori-Kohen: The Habbanis were mighty heroes. I heard a lot from elders in my youth about the Habbanis, about their wars, how they would fight ‘according to names’. What does it mean ‘according to names’? –the letters: They would make the shape of the [Hebrew] letters with their hands, and by this they would be victorious. Also the Shar`abim–from the city of Shar`ab–were strong, but not to the same degree as the Habbanis. Once in Yemen there was a wild tribe of murderous Arab warriors that conquered town after town, slaughtering whomever they found. Thus they moved forward from settlement to settlement: killing, destroying–may their names by blotted out–until they approached a city of Jews, 13,000 Jews roughly. Everyone felt hopeless-even the Arabs among them put up their hands, searching for a place to escape. Suddenly ten [Jewish] Habbanis arrived and waged war with them–ten against a thousand–and vanquished all of them. Not even one of those warriors was left alive, and not one of the ten fell. [24]​ Yavne'eli indicated that in 1911 there were only 60 Jewish families left in Habban. Bin Ibrahim Habbani, who was born in Habban and emigrated to Israel in 1945, indicated there were 700 Jews in Hadhramaut, 450 of which were in Habban. [25] Habbani Jews were extremely reluctant to migrate to Israel, citing their good relations with their neighbors. [26]In 1945, a Habbani Jew claimed to be the Messiah, gathering both a Jewish and Muslim following from Hadhramaut and made his way to Beihar. He became known for his pomp and extravagance, decorating his horse's saddle with gold and silver. Following a large battle where the alleged Messiah and his followers were vanquished, tensions between some of the Muslim rulers and the Jewish communities were accentuated. [27]Some Habbani Jews blamed activities and letters by the Jewish Agencyfor aggravating tensions further. [28] After 1948, small numbers of Habbani Jews made their way to Aden[then under British administration], sometimes fighting hostile Arab tribes along the way. From there they were airlifteden masseto Israelas part of Operation Flying Carpet. The vanguard of the Habbani Jews was led by Zecharyah Habbani who kept after the officials in charge of immigration to accelerate the transfer of the Jews from the Hadramaut to the Land of Israel. They are in dere distress," he reported. "They are suffering from hunger and from the edicts of Hussein Abdallah of Habban and his sons. They are also in debt to the Moslems, who charge them exorbiant rates of interest." The Jewish Agency took action, and few families left the Hadramaut. [29]After 1948, small numbers of Habbani Jews made their way to Aden, sometimes fighting hostile Arab tribes along the way. From there they were airlifteden masseto Israelas part of Operation Flying Carpet. The Sofer family and Yehoshua Sofer, Abir of martial arts
http://www.google.com/url?q=https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/why-king-abdullah-chose-jews-as-his-bodyguards.422612/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiq5LC14MXYAhXoJMAKHcE5D2IQFggHMAA&usg=AOvVaw2DsJqLnivcn42TCLKMZ07Ghttp://www.google.com/url?q=https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/why-king-abdullah-chose-jews-as-his-bodyguards.422612/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiq5LC14MXYAhXoJMAKHcE5D2IQFggHMAA&usg=AOvVaw2DsJqLnivcn42TCLKMZ07G
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Empiree: 2:24am On Jan 10, 2018
Was he not the same king that took bribe from the British in the name of 'jizya', he and king Abdul aziz ibn saud.

They betrayed Islam and the ummah. He was gunned down by a 21 yr old Palestinian at aqsa masjid on jummah at a janaza.
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Demmzy15(m): 9:59pm On Jan 11, 2018
Empiree:
[s]Was he not the same king that took bribe from the British in the name of 'jizya', he and king Abdul aziz ibn saud.

They betrayed Islam and the ummah. He was gunned down by a 21 yr old Palestinian at aqsa masjid on jummah at a janaza.[/s]
Later you'll accuse others of extremism, so you support his assassination? From this post, I can deduce that you consider both of them to be Kufar but Iran and it's leaders to he pious Muslims.

**spits** undecided

1 Like

Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Empiree: 11:10pm On Jan 11, 2018
Demmzy15:
Later you'll accuse others of extremism, so you support his assassination? From this post, I can deduce that you consider both of them to be Kufar but Iran and it's leaders to he pious Muslims.

**spits** undecided
what are you talking about?. Don't support them blindly. Admit they made mistakes, that's all. You can't change the history. Mistakes they made is now playing out a decades later. It was the same mistakes that led to truce btw them and Israel after 6days war.

You'd better not waste your saliva. It takes a while to reproduce cheesy
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Demmzy15(m): 10:05am On Jan 12, 2018
Empiree:
what are you talking about?. Don't support them blindly. Admit they made mistakes, that's all. You can't change the history. Mistakes they made is now playing out a decades later. It was the same mistakes that led to truce btw them and Israel after 6days war.

You'd better not waste your saliva. It takes a while to reproduce cheesy
You seriously need to study history objectively not from some Sheikh who will twist it for you. King Abdulaziz knew what he did as he didn't make any mistake as regards Palestine, while Abdullah I of Jordan, the problem started entirely with his father not him. Whatever he did, he thought it was the best, in fact he proposed that Jews be given 20% of Palestine, while he will rule the entire 80% in addition to present day Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. The Jews actually accepted with other world powers.

He was assassinated in the mosque on a Friday, you say he betrayed the Ummah and Islam, which translates you support his assassination. I see no difference between you and extremists!

1 Like

Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Empiree: 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2018
Demmzy15:
You seriously need to study history objectively not from some Sheikh who will twist it for you. King Abdulaziz knew what he did as he didn't make any mistake as regards Palestine, while Abdullah I of Jordan, the problem started entirely with his father not him. Whatever he did, he thought it was the best, in fact he proposed that Jews be given 20% of Palestine, while he will rule the entire 80% in addition to present day Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. The Jews actually accepted with other world powers.

He was assassinated in the mosque on a Friday, you say he betrayed the Ummah and Islam, which translates you support his assassination. I see no difference between you and extremists!
Now media reported earlier this week that Saudi and perhaps Egypt secretly recognized Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel

Mistakes they made is now playing out a decades later.
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Demmzy15(m): 8:26pm On Jan 12, 2018
Empiree:
Now media reported earlier this week that Saudi and perhaps Egypt secretly recognized Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel

At times you seriously need to read your post and see how pathetic you sound, "secretly recognized" you say? So you think Muslims lost Jerusalem when Trump made his announcement? Seriously, I've got nothing on this! grin grin
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Empiree: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2018
Demmzy15:
At times you seriously need to read your post and see how pathetic you sound, "secretly recognized" you say? So you think Muslims lost Jerusalem when Trump made his announcement? Seriously, I've got nothing on this! grin grin
a simple google or yahoo search could have helped you straight up in this day of INFORMATION. And I did not say "secretly recognized" . I said media reported in on Yahoo yesterday or 2 days ago. You did me disservice by putting that in my mouth.

Demmzy15:
so you support his assassination?
I don't know if you read to understand or not. This statement of your suggest you did not understand my post. I simply stated how he died. How did that suggests I "supported" the 21 yr old assailant?. Bro, cool down and read before you click 'send' button
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Demmzy15(m): 10:31pm On Jan 12, 2018
Empiree:
a simple google or yahoo search could have helped you straight up in this day of INFORMATION. And I did not say "secretly recognized" . I said media reported in on Yahoo yesterday or 2 days ago. You did me disservice by putting that in my mouth.

So you ignored all the articles and statements of how the Egyptians and Saudis condemned the action of Trump and now come up with this bollocks? grin Why did you also ignore the articles of how Saudi has stood with the Palestinians? What kind of hatred is this? So you're implying yahoo somehow got secrets that Saudi and Egypt have recognized Jerusalem as the Zionists capital? I'm seriously disappointed, are you this gullible? I know my questions are much but I'm baffled at how you do things a times. Remember the Qur'an warned against being unjust to those you even hate.

I don't know if you read to understand or not. This statement of your suggest you did not understand my post. I simply stated how he died. How did that suggests I "supported" the 21 yr old assailant?. Bro, cool down and read before you click 'send' button

This should be the other way around, you should read your post before clicking the send button. The thread was why did Abdullah I use Habbani Jews as guards, but you crept in and went off the points by claiming King Abdulaziz(nothing even concerns him with the issue on ground) and Abdullah I were traitors who betrayed Islam and the Ummah. Who does that? angry
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by Empiree: 1:49am On Jan 13, 2018
See, i feel so reluctant to say much on this. I know you enjoy this type of topic.
Demmzy15:

So you ignored all the articles and statements of how the Egyptians and Saudis condemned the action of Trump and now come up with this bollocks? grin
I already read articles how they "condemned" trump. That's just a dust in our eyes. I simply did not want to post it the article and ppl left comment. Thats why the article that surfaced on Yahoo few days ago which originated in Swiss called it "secret recognition of Jerusalem"

Here, they can't claim to oppose Trump and at the same time have military cooperation with Israel. What type of trash is that?

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180108-swiss-newspaper-reveals-secret-military-cooperation-between-saudi-arabia-and-israel/#.WlLkSHxNW4I.facebook

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israeli-minister-reveals-covert-contacts-saudi-arabia-192237992.html

Demmzy15:

[color=#000099]Why did you also ignore the articles of how Saudi has stood with the Palestinians? What kind of hatred is this? So you're implying yahoo somehow got secrets that Saudi and Egypt have recognized Jerusalem as the Zionists capital? I'm seriously disappointed, are you this gullible? I know my questions are much but I'm baffled at how you do things a times. Remember the Qur'an warned against being unjust to those you even hate.
Help yourself: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20171208-israel-tv-saudi-arabia-egypt-gave-trump-green-light-regarding-jerusalem/

Israel’s News 10 said Saudi Arabia and Egypt gave US President Donald Trump the go ahead to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to the occupied city.

The channel said the Arab parties’ reactions and condemnations are not genuine and are misleading.

Israeli journalist and head of the Arab desk at the news channel, Zvi Yehezkeli stressed that the announcement could not have been made without coordination between Trump and his regional allies.

“I am not sure about the Arab countries’ reactions to this resolution,” Yehezkeli said, adding that the responses issued so far were not serious.

On Wednesday, the US President Donald Trump announced his decision to formally recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s new capital adding that the American embassy would be moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

World leaders, from Europe to the Middle East to Australia, slammed the decision as a “unilateral and outside the vision of a negotiated peace between Israelis and Palestinians,” warning of “heightened tensions or even violence across the Middle East.”

Demmzy15:

This should be the other way around, you should read your post before clicking the send button. The thread was why did Abdullah I use Habbani Jews as guards, but you crept in and went off the points by claiming King Abdulaziz(nothing even concerns him with the issue on ground) and Abdullah I were traitors who betrayed Islam and the Ummah. Who does that? angry
My post was in line. They have long held such risky alliance which makes me doubt their intention. It is now playing out. Both Saudi and Israel are now working together against Iran. Iran being muslim country, which one should Saudi side with?. If you can't see beyond Sunni-Shia on this, i can't help you. I dont understand how iran is a threat to them. This is crazy. Bottomline is, if Saudi and ISrael are working together, how the heck in the world do you think Saudi would not eventually let go of Jerusalem and recognise it as Israel undivided capital?.
Re: Why King Abdullah Chose Jews As His Bodyguards by 12Monkeys: 5:58pm On Feb 29, 2020
Because the House of Saud is Jewish

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Some Muslims So Intolerant? / Guidelines On "How To Perform Jannabah".. / Revive A Sunnah! Being Closer To The Best Of Mankind.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.