Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,769 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Benue Killings: One President; Double Standard. By Eniola Opeyemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benue Killings: One President; Double Standard. By Eniola Opeyemi (375 Views)

Onnoghen: Falana Accuses NBA Of Playing Double Standard / Alleged Ganduje Bribes: Fayose Accuses Buhari, EFCC Of Double Standard / What A Double Standard By Inec! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benue Killings: One President; Double Standard. By Eniola Opeyemi by Kakaakinews: 11:34am On Jan 10, 2018
It is sad to write on issues like this but it will be worse not to speak up on matters that affects humanity across the globe, most especially, our immediate environment. Nigeria is one country with many potentials and abundant resources yet, the management and unification of the many abundances is a major problem to the leadership of the country which is trailed by the many factors that ranges from ethnics, religion and politics.

The election of President Mohammadu Buhari GCFR came with many hopes and assurances of a better united Nigeria that is capable of leaving behind the bad experiences that has nearly broken the nation apart. The hype he gained from the media, both locally and internationally, his experience as a former military head of states and the quality of his party structure would leave no one in doubt that Nigeria would become a better nation. It's almost three years down the line, so many things missing, the popularity of the president and his integrity is becoming questionable, his response to violence, attack and corruption leaves the light blinking, the blame game tactics is becoming more obvious and the electorates are not getting the required security that was campaigned to them before the general election.

Biafra agitators met more than they bargained, the swift response of the military received kudos and knocks. The Niger Delta agitators strikes many times, they were persuaded and agreement reached. The Boko- Haram was vastly declared terrorists and they met stiff opposition by the Nigeria Government. But in state , even when firearms is not legalized to be carried by all Nigerians, the herdsmen got more, broke the law, killed the law abiding citizens who voted the president and the law is now more of a cutlass than a sword.

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state acts not only as a stooge but an administrative head who is scared to protect his people, his interview on Channels TV showed that he has not just lost his self confidence but he is very unsure of what he wants for his people. Even when states have its own executive, legislative and judiciary arms, we are yet to see an official report of independent investigation from the state on the killings. You can read what the Governor said after meeting the president: "I had earlier briefed Mr. president when this incident place on the 1st of January. After staying back on the ground to do the needful to ensure that we restored normalcy, i said it was important for me to come personally and brief him and that has been done." When one Governor cries to the President for intervention while he threw away his constitution right, Governors from the biafra agitators states did not have to contact the President before the military swung to action leaving casualties.

The avoidable casualties caused by negligence shouldn't be tolerated knowing that we have the best intelligence segments of various outfits in Nigeria. The maximum security due to the president should also be given to fellow citizens. The double standard of the president must stop. A friend of mine told me that the killings in Benue state is caused by PDP, I responded by telling him that he wasted all years in school graduating as an illiterate, only if he knows the power a President has and the constitutional rights of the citizens to be protected. Start the arrest, publish the reports, bring perpetrators to book. Then we know how true the allegations are. I love President Buhari, but the love will turn hatred against humanity when we fail to speak up on matters that affects humanity.

Be the one president with a single standard.

Opeyemi Eniola writes....

(1) (Reply)

Fayose Set To Defend Ekiti Against Herdsmen Holds Emergency Meeting With Hunter / Breaking! Ambode Reshuffles Cabinet, Drops Three Commissioners, Appoints 5 New O / Anambra Central Re-run Election: Transporter, Corps Members Abandon INEC Duties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.