Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,880 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa (1015 Views)

Edo: PDP Leaders Meet Obaseki And His Deputy (Photo) / National Assembly Leaders Meet Buhari, Seek SIP Reforms / Peter Obi As Atiku's VP: Southeast PDP Leaders Meet (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by BayelsaLegacy: 12:34am On Jan 20, 2018
IJAW MONARCHS, LEADERS MEET IN YENAGOA
...AS GOV DICKSON ADVOCATES RECONCILIATION, UNITY AND SUPPORT AGAINST CRIME

Ijaw traditional rulers and leaders from the six states of Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Ondo on Friday converged in Yenagoa to discuss issue of collective interest and well beings of the people.

The meeting which was declared open by Governor Seriake Dickson also focussed on the issue of reconciliation, unity, peace, stability and economic progress of Ijaw nation

Governor Dickson called on them to put aside their differences and forge a strong united front, submitting that that was the only way to make Ijaw nation relevant among other ethnic nationalities in the Country.

He said the time had come for the Ijaw traditional rulers, elders and leaders of the people to constitute a strong, credible, dependable and fearless leadership for the Ijaw National Congress.

A Government House Statement signed by Fidelis Soriwei, quoted Dickson as having made the call while speaking at the Conference of Ijaw Traditional Rulers and Elders in Yenagoa on Friday.

The governor stressed that the call was inspired by the reality that certain key roles in the interest of the Ijaw Nation could be undertaken and indeed spearheaded by a strong President òf the INC and his e executive committee.

He said that the absence of a strong INC meant the existence of a vacuum which was inimical to the development of the Ijaw Nation and the Niger Delta.

He said, “On the need for Ijaw unity, everybody in the Ijaw nation, all our leaders are on the same page. And I am delighted that all of you who are the critical pillars of the Ijaw movement which is founded on our Ijaw traditional institutions are present here, that is why you have clan representation.

“Let me draw your attention to the need for the Ijaw nation at this point in time more than any other time to be united SD quickly as possible put processes in place that will lead to the emergence of a credible, solid, dependable, knowledgeable and fearless leadership for our people because there are certain things only the INC can do.

There are certain things only the the INC president and his team can say, all of us will give support. Right now there is a vacancy, a vacuum and that is not good at all for us, for the Niger Delta because our peopo le, the Ijaw people have Aa duty to galvanize this region and close leakages that can lead to more stable and prosperous Niger Delta, and Nigeria.”

He called on the people to prioritize support against kidnapping, piracy, and other criminal activities that had aggravated the economic and development challenges in the communities.

Dickson lamented that the Ijaw communities were losing businesses and developmental opportunities as the enemies of the people were taking advantage of the situation to blackmail the area and deepen underdevelopment in the area.

“I call for peace, stability and an end to kidnappings, brigandage, piracy on the waterways and lawlessness that has de-marketed our region, state and communities that is further aggravating our economic and developmental challenges for their selfish reasons.

“Our enemies are all too happy as we are losing businesses and they are using propaganda to paint our region as a place not good enough to satisfy their own selfish interest.”

Dickson who enjoined the people to continue to cooperate with constituted authorities and to live in harmony with their neighbors in their geographical locations, also advised them to continue to raise genuine issues peacefully.

He commended all the elders and leaders of the people who responded to the call to play various in the National Reconciliation Committee of the INC.

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by BayelsaLegacy: 12:37am On Jan 20, 2018
more pictures

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by wilcox(m): 12:39am On Jan 20, 2018
We have not really gotten any positive impact from this traditional rulers. Qoute me anywhere, this men only represent their selfish interest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:48am On Jan 20, 2018
Ijaw traditional rulers and leaders from the six states of Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Ondo on Friday converged in Yenagoa to discuss issue of collective interest and well beings of the people.
Oba of Benin and Governor Obaseki won't be happy to see this but there is nothing they could do about it.

Meanwhile, this is a welcome development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Cekpo34(m): 1:25am On Jan 20, 2018
wilcox:
We have not really gotten any positive impact from this traditional rulers. Qoute me anywhere, this men only represent their selfish interest.

No one with a good knowledge of the nation's past would argue against this. Lord Lugard had made their ancestors ethnic champions. For them to be relevant, they have to hide in the veneer of "custodians of traditions" to forment ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Lajet: 1:28am On Jan 20, 2018
Ijaw people keep on deceiving themselves we Nigeria's are aware that ijaw land starts and ends in Bayelsa state. Ijaw are settler in Rivers state, Edo, Delta and Ondo State, so the should stop this nonsense that Ijaw monarchs from 6 states meet.
Why the land grabbers not put Ndoki in Abia state as the usually claimed only on internet to make it 7 ijaws state. the have added Akwa ibom state I hope Akwa ibom people should call this people to order in time before they will take their land grabbing madness to another level. Can they tell us the name of the Monarchs from Akwa ibom state that attended the meeting Ijaw have started their propaganda again.

3 Likes

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Cekpo34(m): 1:30am On Jan 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Oba of Benin and Governor Obaseki won't be happy to see this but there is nothing he could do about it.

Meanwhile, this is a welcome development

@emboldened
-traditional rulers
-leaders

Could be the later grin
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Nobody: 2:22am On Jan 20, 2018
BayelsaLegacy:
more pictures
Of the four kings seated on thrones with Gov. Dickson, 2 have no dias to step on and are just stepping on the bare ground. That is embarrassing. Someone should be queried for this seeming breach of royal protocol.
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Rival(m): 7:30am On Jan 20, 2018
A welcome development!
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:26am On Jan 20, 2018
Cekpo34:

@emboldened -traditional rulers -leaders
Could be the later grin
Lol it is actually the former...
Ranting is allowed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:31am On Jan 20, 2018
[s]
Lajet:
Ijaw people keep on deceiving themselves we Nigeria's are aware that ijaw land starts and ends in Bayelsa state. Ijaw are settler in Rivers state, Edo, Delta and Ondo State, so the should stop this nonsense that Ijaw monarchs from 6 states meet.
Why the land grabbers not put Ndoki in Abia state as the usually claimed only on internet to make it 7 ijaws state. the have added Akwa ibom state I hope Akwa ibom people should call this people to order in time before they will take their land grabbing madness to another level. Can they tell us the name of the Monarchs from Akwa ibom state that attended the meeting Ijaw have started their propaganda again.
[/s]

My brother, this your wailing is unprecedented...

Anyway, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU OR ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT THE ETHNIC SPREAD OF IJAW NATION!

Fact!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:32am On Jan 20, 2018
igbodefender:
Of the four kings seated on thrones with Gov. Dickson, 2 have no dias to step on and are just stepping on the bare ground. That is embarrassing. Someone should be queried for this seeming breach of royal protocol.
Why the tears? Crying more than the bereaved...
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by ReubenE(m): 9:17am On Jan 20, 2018
Lajet:
You are a misguided commentator or perhaps, your opinion is laced and forged in hatred and jealousy. Please, abandon this your prehistoric orientation.

Your comment make you appear as if you are an indigene of the above mentioned Six States.
My brother, relax your nerves and learn just in case you're ignorant of the Ijaws in Akwa Ibom. No matter how hard you and your likes try to paint the Ijaw nation bad like the Governor opined, your lies will never last because truth will tear through with time.

How old are you sef, historian? What is your competence level in history? How good is your academic competence and exposure? Na U know say Ijaw land start and end for Bayelsa.....warp reasoning.

Your opinion of the Ijaws is inconsequential, it is irrelevant in modern day civilization.

Ijaws will continue to play the Big Brother role in the Niger Delta region needed to advance and protect the region, including you.

Before I go, go start your history class with the people of Ibeno in Akwa Ibom.
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Why the tears? Crying more than the bereaved...

I like seeing things done properly, and besides they are my fellow countrymen.
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by DamiBukola: 10:45am On Jan 20, 2018
Lajet:
Your foolishness is extraordinarily every day like Zee World.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:50am On Jan 20, 2018
ReubenE:

You are a misguided commentator or perhaps, your opinion is laced and forged in hatred and jealousy. Please, abandon this your prehistoric orientation.

Your comment make you appear as if you are an indigene of the above mentioned Six States.
My brother, relax your nerves and learn just in case you're ignorant of the Ijaws in Akwa Ibom. No matter how hard you and your likes try to paint the Ijaw nation bad like the Governor opined, your lies will never last because truth will tear through with time.

How old are you sef, historian? What is your competence level in history? How good is your academic competence and exposure? Na U know say Ijaw land start and end for Bayelsa.....warp reasoning.

Your opinion of the Ijaws is inconsequential, it is irrelevant in modern day civilization.

Ijaws will continue to play the Big Brother role in the Niger Delta region needed to advance and protect the region, including you.

Before I go, go start your history class with the people of Ibeno in Akwa Ibom.
Shalom
Aptly put!

The enemies of the Ijaw nation are confused!`

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Rival(m): 10:58am On Jan 20, 2018
Lajet:
See painment! Take it easy; it shall be well with you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by babacletus: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2018
Lajet:
Who left the doors of yaba left open? Its a known fact the relationship between the Ijaws and the Ndoki or Aminadokiari of Abia state who are descendants of isedani, one popular Ndoki man is named Paul Taribo, try traveling to Ndoki towns and ask their elders where they came from, the Ijaws in Akwaibom are the Obolos and Ibeno who inhabit the Eastern Obolo, Ibeno lga and Andoni lga in Rivers state, so go back to your ward

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by babacletus: 11:07am On Jan 20, 2018
igbodefender:
igbodefender you miss road, go and count the stairs in onitsha palace
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Amarabae(f): 11:16am On Jan 20, 2018
Lajet:
How are ijaws settlers in Rivers?
Have you been to rivers before?

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Amarabae(f): 11:25am On Jan 20, 2018
babacletus:

Who left the doors of yaba left open? Its a known fact the relationship between the Ijaws and the Ndoki or Aminadokiari of Abia state who are descendants of isedani, one popular Ndoki man is named Paul Taribo, try traveling to Ndoki towns and ask their elders where they came from, the Ijaws in Akwaibom are the Obolos and Ibeno who inhabit the Eastern Obolo, Ibeno lga and Andoni lga in Rivers state, so go back to your ward
I am not an ndoki person but I know them very well, we share the same local government.
Many groups have what we call "outside infiltration" in them.
Calling ndokis Ijaws is incorrect and the same thing like calling opobos Igbos.
They are both incorrect.
Ndokis are Igbos with some ijaw infiltration the same way opobos are referred as ijaws with Igbo infiltration.
Prove me wrong but I have never seen ndokis counted or participated in anything ijaw the same way I have never seen opobos participate in anything ohanaeze ndigbo.
These two ethnic groups have come a long way to be involved in some petty ethnic jingoist struggle.
Re: Ijaw Monarchs, Leaders Meet In Yenagoa by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 20, 2018
babacletus:

igbodefender you miss road, go and count the stairs in onitsha palace
Take your tribalistic comment elsewhere- Igbodefender does culture not tribalism.

(1) (Reply)

Caught On Duty! Rare Candid Picture Of VP Osinbajo’s Photographer In Switzerland / Why 2018 Budget Can't Accommodate New Minimum Wage - DG Budget Office / Let Us Celebrate Ganduje For Solving Farmer Herdsmen Crisis In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.