Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (95735 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 24, 2018
1Sharon:
Sadly, most Hausa are mostly brainwashed wannabe Arab slaves..

After everything that's been written here someone will still see comments like this. Why am I even surprised, you lot are apes and as such your intuition is limited to your breed.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by billyG(m): 10:14pm On Feb 24, 2018
out of all those names it is only 5 names i hav seen hausaman bearing,they mostly bear mohammed,muhammed,abubakar grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by carinmom(f): 10:33pm On Feb 24, 2018
DanZubair:
Ai hakarsu bazata taba cimma ruwa ba. Naso a raba kasar nan mu gani, amman da yake ko cikinsu akwai masu hankali sai sunka dagule abun.

Kunyi qoqari en uwa, haka nake son inga hausawa masu kishin al'adarmu a cikin wannan forum din dake cike da qabilanci, abin kare ba zaici ba saboda qazancewarsa. Sau da yawa bana tanka masu, saboda sunayi ne suga mun harzika.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Puzzypleazer: 10:40pm On Feb 24, 2018
akinszz:
those who cares shekau na terrorist
Shekau name in Hausa means terrorist?
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by FulaniTerrorist: 10:48pm On Feb 24, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Erase our culture? Why does every single imbe cile on naira land keep repeating this rubbish? Our culture is still very much intact. Culture is a way of life, our culture is very much different from all other Muslims bar the aspects of Islam except similarities with other sahelians like the fulanis as well. And what do you mean middle East myth?

Mind you I hold no sentiment towards fulanis and never will, history of hausas has always been one of migration and rebirth. E g how the abagayawas were overthrown by maguzawas and so on in Kano. Various sub groups have often come into Hausa land and dominated even before the fulanis, only difference is the fulanis somewhat united the hausas states who have never been truly cointegrated.

And can you stop it with this nonsense? Dikko is a Fulani surname. Dikko is a Fulani man, stop it. Period. Why do you barmy lot keep telling us about our own people? A Hausa man tells you he's fulani, a Fulani man tells you he's Fulani, but you're neither and you know better than us yeah?

Usmanu Zamnagawa (ruled 1343-1349)
Ali Yaji I (ruled 1349-1385)
Bugaya (ruled 1385-1390)
Kanejeji (ruled 1390-1410)
Umaru (ruled 1410-1421)
Daud (ruled 1421-1438)
Abdullah Burja (ruled 1438-1452)
Dakauta (ruled 1452)
Atuma (ruled 1452)
Yaquled (1452-1463)
Muhammadu Rumfa (ruled 1463-1499)
Abdullahi dan Rumfa (ruled 1499-1509)
Kanoan Empire
Muhammad Kisoki (ruled 1509-1565)
Yakubu (ruled 1565)
Abu-Bakr Kado (ruled 1565-1573)
Muhammad Shashere (ruled 1573-1582)
Muhammad Zaki (ruled 1582-1618)
Muhammad Nazaki (ruled 1618-1623)
Kano Sultanate
House of Kutumbi
Kutumbi (ruled 1623-1648)
al-Hajj (ruled 1648-1649)
Shekarau (emir) (ruled 1649-1651)
Muhammad Kukuna (ruled 1651-1652)
Soyaki (ruled 1652 he ruled Kano in those days)
Muhammad Kukuna (restored) (ruled 1652-1660)
Bawa (ruled 1660-1670)
Dadi (ruled 1670-1703)
Muhammad Sharif (ruled 1703-1731)
Kumbari (ruled 1731-1743)
al-Hajj Kabe (ruled 1743-1753)
Yaji II (ruled 1753-1768)
Baba Zaki (ruled 1768-1776)
Daud Abasama II (ruled 1776-1781)
Muhammad al-Walid (ruled 1781-1805)

This is the list of some of the hausa rulers of Kano until the last one before a Fulani ruler. If you're implying hausas abandoned their names because of fulanis then you're in need of education. Notice it's a mixture of mainly Islamic and cultural names like most hausas use today.

Just checked your posts to confirm you're a south easterner who apparently created his account solely to bash fulanis. If I had seen this earlier I would have definitely not bothered to write all of that. Mark me, I have completely given up on you lot.

Stop doing fake copy and paste here
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 10:50pm On Feb 24, 2018
Nice

Thank you Lalasticlala and Mynd44

I thought the only names the hausas bear is either Mohammed, Aisha or Ibrahim.

Very interesting
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:03pm On Feb 24, 2018
jiddama:
This is very informative
@op could you possibly make a compilation of kanuri native names
Our culture is gradually fading out ......

You are right a lot of cultures especially in the north is fading out due to religion.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Firstpage: 11:05pm On Feb 24, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

And this is precisely the problem. Call me a bigot or whatever I really don't care. We've done nothing wrong. All we've done is represent this country in the best way possible like our culture teaches us. Yet because some people we are supposed to share an identity with are hell bent on destroying the Nigerian name it's all useless, plus most of the Nigerians abroad are them so that makes us, the "good ones" minorities that some don't even know exist.

I guess they're starting to get smarter, they used to hate all Nigerians now they ask or can outright tell where your from. Personally I have never been a victim of any blatant racism here because most assume I'm not Nigerian or they know we can't all be the same and when I tell them I have never met one who wasn't surprised that I'm not a complete savage. That's how bad it is, our name is synonymous with savagery and if you look at the actions of so called "Nigerians" you can't blame them.

And do you know some of these "Nigerians" go to these countries supposedly seeking asylum from book haram?

Good luck with your 1 Nigeria agenda but I assure you it will never work. Because you have people like me who will never be forced into this identity and on their part even with their shortcomings they feel superior. I knew we were different, but I was never a bigot. Now I find this extreme hatred growing in my heart and I know it's wrong but the more I try to resist the more they keep pushing me further off the ledge. Heck where Im living now my consideration was to find somewhere secluded and expensive Nigerians can't infiltrate, little did I know this black mold has spread everywhere. Some nights I hear these bastards partying and shouting up stairs and imagine what o
the locals are thinking? I guess you're a bigger man than I am.

We can try to remain on non hostile terms but one Nigeria is an illusion that will soon disappear after the magic spell has become ineffective.

Yes I know him. Fulani man from Sokoto. Car designer for Chevy. I think the president gave him an appointment recently did he not?

Funny enough, your northern leaders destroyed Nigeria through their unbridled corruption and nepotism.

From shagari, babangida, abacha and the current nepotic old fool.

Thank God you agree the country should cease to exist. Spread the world to your emirs.

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 24, 2018
FulaniTerrorist:

Stop doing fake copy and paste here

Fake copy and paste? and where did i copy from? your dads laptop?

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:07pm On Feb 24, 2018
DanZubair:
Yes, but with your help.
I have that intention in mind and I am a part of them. Kanuris, Fulanis, Tuaregs, Igbos, Yorubas and other Africans

Don't worry bro, once you create the thread just tag Lalasticlala and Mynd44, they will be glad to move the informative thread to front-page
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 24, 2018
Firstpage:

Funny enough, your northern leaders destroyed Nigeria through their unbridled corruption and nepotism.

From shagari, babangida, abacha and the current nepotic old fool.

Thank God you agree the country should cease to exist. Spread the world to your emirs.

And what exactly have your leaders done for you when in power? what have your governors done for you? keep blaming us for your uselessness, by the time you realize how lost you lot are it will be too late.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Firstpage: 11:16pm On Feb 24, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

And what exactly have your leaders done for you when in power? what have your governors done for you? keep blaming us for your uselessness, by the time you realize how lost you lot are it will be too late.

Who is this almajiri?

Your leaders destroyed this country and you idiots have the guts to pontificate on how the south is destroying the image of the country abroad.

We are doing better than you can be in 1000 years. Your religious baggage is enough to destroy you and boko haram is doing great job.

Dividing this country will help you in practising your total sharia and and holier than thou image would be preserved.

Look before you quote next time and understand the point of argument you slowpoke.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:25pm On Feb 24, 2018
Isahalbash:

I already acknowledged pmb tried in terms of security in Borno and environs. But what about other states that killings are on d increase on daily basis.. Benue, Taraba, Zamfara etc..

You can't blame all past leaders excluding your tribesmen for destroying Nigeria.. That was the genesis of this argument ai.

Pmb has failed the masses in Nigeria.. Everything is hard for the poor masses. All his policies are affecting d masses more than anyone. Everything is at d increase; Food, water, Nepa, fuel even biscuits and chingums are not sparedgrin.. The same person who promised the masses heaven on earth was dsame person saying; ' the masses are impatient'. Or has he suddenly forgotten when he said.. Nigerians are not supposed to be buying fuel more than 45/litre during Gej's tenure when there was an increased in fuel price, but now when he's d minister of petroleum and d presido d prices have almost double and there's still queuegrin

What are they going to investigate again pertaining d GYALLESU midnight massacred when it's obvious; Buhari, Buratai and El rufai are masterminds behind d killings couple with some religious leaders who came out openly to praised d Govt for a job weldonegrin

You deserve a presidential award for saying the truth and sticking to the truth.

They excluded their own incompetent brother buhari from the list of useless leaders but are blaming others yet they say their is no discrimination in the north.

You are the first northerner I have seen that is bold enough to say the truth a stick to it.

You have my full respect

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by santricedupas(m): 11:28pm On Feb 24, 2018
why can't hausa tribes in nigeria rebel against sultan of sokoto and dethrone him, and they should install hausa king In all hausaa state.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by delpee(f): 11:33pm On Feb 24, 2018
Interesting topic! So much to learn about our history and cultures.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 24, 2018
Firstpage:

Who is this almajiri?

Your leaders destroyed this country and you idiots have the guts to pontificate on how the south is destroying the image of the country abroad.

We are doing better than you can be in 1000 years. Your religious baggage is enough to destroy you and boko haram is doing great job.

Dividing this country will help you in practising your total sharia and and holier than thou image would be preserved.

Look before you quote next time and understand the point of argument you slowpoke.

Almajiri? Lol! How did you figure out I was a student? Is it that obvious?

calm down you ape. No need to start jumping up and down.

First of all, you staged the first coup in this country killing the best leader we will ever have. Any political or social decay that happened afterwards is a domino effect of what you monkeys did.

We have every right to complain when we get bumped together with people who have nothing to do with us. One can argue all regions have their flaws but at least we keep it within the country. You lot on the other hand have to go about spreading your monkey culture all over the place.

You are doing better than us yet your region remains a shii t hole. If you're doing better than us then why are you always blaming us for your woes? Confused are you?

Shariah would be a bonus, best part about it would be we no longer have to be associated with weak spineless morally corrupt monkeys.

The point of argument is we can blame our problems on education and we take responsibility for that but you lot lack any hope of redemption. You are brainless apes and always have been and that is why education will never work for you.

Now you can go jump up and down and murderer a few dozen lice somewhere else small fry. Biri da wando.

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 24, 2018
santricedupas:
why can't hausa tribes in nigeria rebel against sultan of sokoto and dethrone him, and they should install hausa king In all hausaa state.

Lol. We don't want a Hausa king. We are fine with what we have. As far as we are concerned we see no difference between fulanis kanuris etc and us where it truly matters.

And Hausa is not a tribe or tribes, it's an ethnicity.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:39pm On Feb 24, 2018
delpee:
Interesting topic! So much to learn about our history and cultures.

Am glad you love history.

That's why I encourage Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to push history related threads to fp.

So far the mods have been doing well. Kudos to them
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2018
santricedupas:
I think the question should be
1. Why should the sultan of sokoto, a Fulani, be the paramount ruler not only in sokoto (a Hausa Land) but in the entire north?

2. If the hausa have traditional rulers, why are they not well represented when compared to the Fulani Emirs?
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 24, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

I think the question should be
1. Why should the sultan of sokoto, a Fulani, be the paramount ruler not only in sokoto (a Hausa Land) but in the entire north?

2. If the hausa have traditional rulers, why are they not well represented when compared to the Fulani Emirs?

LOL if we are not complaining why are you complaining for us? If the Fulani rulers had shown favouritism or imposed alien ideals or represented us in a way we felt wasn't befitting of what we stand for that would be a different thing but that's not the case. We as a people as far as I know aren't worried about who holds the throne which BTW in today's era is less influential than a state governor. If you want to keep looking for ethnic divisions keep that to the south and to your people. Leave us alone please.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 11:56pm On Feb 24, 2018
jayinfo2:
I can categorically tell you that people of Jigawa do discriminate other Hausa's not a jigawaite

I have been there, when we complained of Jigawa inter tribal discrimination,the people there had to tell us that Jigawa people Even discriminate them that are Hausa and not from Jigawa.

I really dont know if it was based on religion

But what I know is day do discriminate even the Hausa's not from Jigawa state.

That is discrimination based on State of Origin not based on tribe. As I said earlier Northwesterners are prone to discriminate base on that.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

LOL if we are not complaining why are you complaining for us? If the Fulani rulers had shown favouritism or imposed alien ideals or represented us in a way we felt wasn't befitting of what we stand for that would be a different thing but that's not the case. We as a people as far as I know aren't worried about who holds the throne which BTW in today's era is less influential than a state governor. If you want to keep looking for ethnic divisions keep that to the south and to your people. Leave us alone please.

Nobody is looking for ethnic division. If you want to be ruled by the Fulani on the lands of your fore fathers that's your own headache.

It shouldn't stop me from asking why.

So if you can answer the question, kindly answer it, if not let another who can give a better insight on this do so.

I am here to learn.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 24, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

Nobody is looking for ethnic division. If you want to be ruled by the Fulani that's your own headache.

It shouldn't stop me from asking why.

So if you can answer the question, kindly answer it, if not let another who can give a better insight on this do so.

I am here to learn.

And I gave you an answer. Because we have no reason to pursue what you're talking about. The sultan of Sokoto is the leader of northern emirs because after bill foduyes jihad the capital of the caliphate was set at Sokoto and as such his successors have remained at the helm of affairs ever since.

No such thing as land of fore fathers. As long as you're a sahelian. Tuareg or Fula or Wolof or mandinka who share a similar culture with us. As far as I'm concerned you're my kin. That's the way it has always been.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by TheKingIsHere: 12:04am On Feb 25, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

And I gave you an answer. Because we have no reason to pursue what you're talking about. The sultan of Sokoto is the leader of northern emirs because after bill foduyes jihad the capital of the caliphate was set at Sokoto and as such his successors have remained at the helm of affairs ever since.

Yeah, I am aware about the sultan of sokoto and how he was installed.

But I was informed by another Hausa on another history related thread that Emirs are Fulani rulers not hausas. While Seriki (I hope I got the spelling right) are hausas leaders/rulers.

That's what prompted me to wonder why the serikis are not fully represented on their own lands when compared to the emirs who seem to have alot of power far above the owners of the land.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Olameen1713: 12:12am On Feb 25, 2018
Armstrong34:
...what about the meaning of a close girlfriend of mine named AMATURAHMAN

AmantuRahman is an Arabic name which means a 'female- servant of Allah'. The male version is Abdurahman which means a male servant of Allah.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:14am On Feb 25, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

Yeah, I am aware about the sultan of sokoto and how he was installed.

But I was informed by another Hausa on another history related thread that Emirs are Fulani rulers not hausas. While Seriki (I hope I got the spelling right) are hausas leaders/rulers.

That's what prompted me to wonder why the serikis are not fully represented on their own lands when compared to the emirs who seem to have alot of power far above the owners of the land.

As far as I know even the fula kings in hausaland are referred to as sarki which just means king and that's the point. These people are culturally Hausa which is what matters most and have done a good job at preserving this culture.

Depends on what you mean by represented. And stop saying "own lands"? What makes it their land?

And how much power Fula emirs hold doesn't matter, like I said. It's how they use it. In the end why try to go about digging divisions amongst people especially in the north west where it's hard to distinguish between them? Did you know a good amount of Hausa lower class made up fodios army? Fodio who he himself grew up in Hausa land?

Like I mentioned earlier, other sahelians have overthrown earlier hausas kings before so this is not a new trend. Only difference is they are fully immersed as hausas today but Fula settlers were more recent, starting to settle around the 13th century and have kept their identity quite well considering what happened to those before them.If youre looking for original settlers then that's impossible, so that's where I have issue with you saying their own land.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by flyca: 4:03am On Feb 25, 2018
DevdanSanguine:
Erase our culture?

Just checked your posts to confirm [b]you're a south easterner [/b]who apparently created his account solely to bash fulanis. If I had seen this earlier I would have definitely not bothered to write all of that. Mark me, I have completely given up on you lot.

After calling him a south easterner and hauling all insults at him with all the Hausa you typed to bring in more frustrated sychophants and wipe up sentiments, eventually, he is not!

I see that progressive South-Eastern Nigeria gives you lot nightmares.

Shame on you!

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Dinvictus: 5:45am On Feb 25, 2018
DanZubair:
Hausa people in parts of Niger Republic, Northern Nigeria, Sudan, Ghana and others are known with fond of representing names of prophets and prophets companions, then their particular native names as backup, making it second or third names. This
Kuluwa: A daughter who was most loved in a family and many others.

Source:

https://gobirmob.com/real-hausa-native-names-and-their-meanings/

Hausa version:
https://gobirmob.com/ha/tabbatattun-sunayen-hausawa-na-gargajiya-da-maanoninsu/

Impressive write up, please is Zubair same as Zuberu? Would love to know. Thanks
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by labi1977(m): 5:55am On Feb 25, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

Then what are you doing here Mr. High reasoning?

More importantly why is this thread on fp if non hausa will be insulted for commenting

The thread started of mildly interesting but when an md made a simple opinion he was insulted several times as an outsider, you guys have even stopped speaking in english several times so yeah goodbye
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 25, 2018
labi1977:

More importantly why is this thread on fp if non hausa will be insulted for commenting

The thread started of mildly interesting but when an md made a simple opinion he was insulted several times as an outsider, you guys have even stopped speaking in english several times so yeah goodbye

If you want to act like an ignorant im becile you deserve to be called out and he got what's coming. It was not an opinion but a well timed shade.

Ooh yes. In a Hausa thread it's important to speak our native language which we are very proud of, especially when we speak of sensitive issues that requires. If that's a problem for you I guess you had better leave.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 25, 2018
flyca:

After calling him a south easterner and hauling all insults at him with all the Hausa you typed to bring in more frustrated sychophants and wipe up sentiments, eventually, he is not!

I see that progressive South-Eastern Nigeria gives you lot nightmares.

Shame on you!

Nightmares? LMAO. Like I said, I have given up on you lot. If I knew he was I wouldn't even have responded. That's how little I think of you.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by flyca: 8:29am On Feb 25, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

Nightmares? LMAO. Like I said, I have given up on you lot. If I knew he was I wouldn't even have responded. That's how little I think of you.

Again, He is not from South-East Nigeria, so the joke is on you!

Should we be shivering because of your dry "I've given up on you lot" mantra? Abegiiiii, hide your face.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Yoruba Incantations. . . . . / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.