Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. (1589 Views)

Nigeria’s Top Politicians With A History Of Spreading Fake News / Genesis Of Distrust Between Igbo's And Yoruba's — By Ojukwu (Video) / Buhari Blames Climate Change For Fulani Herdsmen Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by Mrchippychappy(m): 6:20pm On Jan 22, 2018
Since the turn of the new year, the news of the Fulani herdsmen crisis has remained the number one topic in our nation Nigeria, every media outlet has one story or the other regarding the fulani mayhem, the public gatherings in the newspaper vendors outlet aren't left out also, as Nigerians argue and sometimes scuffle regarding the Fulani mayhem. The questions that are commonly asked are the following:

1. Who empowered the Fulani herdsmen
2. Are they above the law?
3. How can we resolve this situation threating this unity of this nation as we know it.

Now, I may not have the answer to the first two questions, but I think I may have come up with a viable option that could go along way to resolving this whole Fulani herdsmen crisis but before we get into the solution, we have to ask these questions.

1. What could be the reason for the crisis- Most people would say the Fulanis are uneducated and blood thristy savages, on the other hand the Fulanis would also sight reprisal or some indifference between their people and the locals as the reason for the violence, personally I believe there is just one reason for this violence - DISTRUST.

You see in a blame game, there's really no solution and deep down the roots of this problem can be traced back to the distrust between the Fulanis and the other tribes in the Middle belt and in some cases the tribes in the south south and the people of the south east.

Now, this takes us to the second question.

2. How do we regain each others trust: This wouldn't be easy BUT in other to gain each others trust and build new allies, we have to strengthen old unions and partnerships, the saying like attracts like applies there and this takes us to my solution. I personally believe that for us to regain each others trust we have to strengthen the old union and ties between the Fulani in the North and the Yorubas in the south west, historically the Yorubas and Fulanis share a lot more in common than we would imagine:

- Inter tribal marriages
- Political affiliation
- Regional affliliation , Kwara and certain parts of Kogi state comes to mind here
- Religious affiliations.

The Yorubas and the Fulanis share certain things which are only common to both tribes as a result of this, it would be best if the Colonies are placed in the South Western part of Nigeria and I have my reasons why.

- This harmonious relationship between the yorubas and the fulani's would go along way in convincing the middle belt tribes that they can truly live as one with the Fulani's

- After a 10 year period of observing the cattle colonies in the south west, then perhaps the colonies could be established in other parts of the country, provided the fulani's are friendly with the yoruba host. This would naturally happen due to the similarities which I mentioned in the second point (2. How do we regain each others trust)

This is possibly the only way to resolve the Fulani situation. Instead of trying so hard to create new allies in a system where distrust and rancor is ever present, it would make more sense for the Fulanis to actually strengthen the old union they have with the Yorubas, create the cattle colonies in the South western part of Nigeria and after a ten year observatory timeline / period, then the other regions wouldn't have any need to distrust the Fulanis as I am very sure they would be well behaved in the cattle colonies that would be established in the south western part of Nigeria.

We need peace and love, no more killings. One Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by phreakabit(m): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2018
Once again MrChippyChappy offers fresh initiative and impetus. I honestly believe the FG needs to adopt this theory in solving the Fulani crisis.
The SW has vast green lands and its citizens are very accommodating, besides they have a long lasting relationship with the fulanis.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by Castanea(m): 8:01pm On Jan 22, 2018
Count Middle Belt out of this mess. Sambisa Forest is more than enough for cattle colonies.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by Mrchippychappy(m): 8:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
Moderators front page please
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by laudate: 1:33am On Jan 23, 2018
Castanea:
Count Middle Belt out of this mess. Sambisa Forest is more than enough for cattle colonies.

I concur! sad

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by orisa37: 5:37am On Jan 23, 2018
Fulanis should be restricted to Sokoto.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Crisis: A History Of Violence, Distrust And A Possible Solution. by Mrchippychappy(m): 10:01am On Jan 23, 2018
This is the only way to resolve the whole Fulani herdsmen mess as far as I am concerned

(1) (Reply)

Churches Protest Against Killer Herdmen Accross Nigeria' Live updates. / 30,000 Policemen Deployed For Ekiti Election – CP / Gang-up By Me, Obasanjo, Danjuma Against Buhari Not True - IBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.