Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,164 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? (18577 Views)

Two Undergraduate UNIZIK Students Found In Dead In Hostel / Universities With 100% Full Accreditation For Undergraduate Courses 2019 / Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by visi123: 8:09am On Jan 26, 2018
As unilorin is concern, you are not allow to do same.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by sexdoll: 8:09am On Jan 26, 2018
of course!

it's very possible.

i did it... in my dreams... so many times, as a matter of fact!
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by ShylockConsults: 8:18am On Jan 26, 2018
LATE ADMISSION INTO NORTH CYPRUS UNIVERSITIES – 50% SCHOLARSHIP.

*Without IELTS/TOEFL | *100% Visa Success | *Work Allowed | 300+ Courses to choose from. *Late Admission are open for Spring 2018 (February) Deadline: 9th February.

For more Info and to Apply:
Email: shylockconsults@yahoo.com
Call +905488793304, +905338577830
Web: www.shylockconsults.com
Whatsapp: +2348069069532
Facebook: www.facebook.com/shylockconsults
Instagram: shylockconsults

Kindly "Share", Someone may need these. We also process to other Universities worldwide. Agencies and Partners are Welcome to collaborate with us.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Ocheinstein(m): 8:19am On Jan 26, 2018
I know a friend who ran two programs at the same time from the same school. She finished the same year as me and deferred her Nysc till she finished the second degree a year later
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Crossbow(m): 8:34am On Jan 26, 2018
Royaldave200:

I disagree with you bro, during my undergraduate days I had a course mate running both philosophy at Unilag and history at Lasu, infact she finished with 2.1(both)
and we all knw how broad philosophy can be.

Bro. I do understand u, however, u don't know the course OP is going for. Let's imagine a course like Optometry, a 6 year study duration in UNIBEN and u want to study Bio Chemistry along side, how possible can that be.. Or let me even come to the faculty u graduated from. Can you merge English Language with any course at all? The work load of these departments are already too heavy and they have lectures schedule that leaves you little breathing space. So Bro, I think the question is what course does he want to combine?

PS: I graduated from department of sociology and Anthropology.. My 300L was too occupied that from 8am I was in class as we are secondary school students.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by bussy2020(m): 8:39am On Jan 26, 2018
No student should have two(2) matric numbers @ same time. It's absolutely illegal. One can lose his/her studentship 'cos of that.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by holysina(m): 8:50am On Jan 26, 2018
I know a friend who studied mechanical engineering in esut and also electrical engineering in IMT at same time, it was unfortunate he died of brain tumour four years back while on service. I dont advice any one to go through such pressure

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by barthy21(m): 8:52am On Jan 26, 2018
It's Legal but you will graduate with two (2) pass degrees... HOPE U KNOW WHT I MEAN.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Pamelayoung: 9:00am On Jan 26, 2018
You must be a confused fellow
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by omusiliyu(m): 9:08am On Jan 26, 2018
richiebillz2:
A friend of mine did it wen we were in school. During our jamb days d school we applied for was not admitting medicine at that time due NUC restrictions. So, they gave us biochemistry, along the line wen we were in our year two they began admitting medicine and surgery, that friend of mine sat for jamb again and was admitted into medicine. The next year he was to do medicine year one and biochemistry year three. I don't knw hw he managed to cope, although biochemistry year one and two courses are related to that of medicine except for the addition of anatomy and physiology courses for those doing medicine. Fortunately for him dere was no clash of exam date for both departments and he finished on a first class for biochemistry and he s in medicine year four now.

are you related to Lai Muhammad?

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by seunH: 9:16am On Jan 26, 2018
It is very possible, especially in a state school. But the major challenge is how you will present it on your CV without it raising questions from prospective employers. For example Bsc Botany- 2010-2014, Bsc Chemistry- 2010-2014 in the same CV. Most would assume a fraud was invoved especially international companies.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by spencekat(m): 9:36am On Jan 26, 2018
seunH:
It is very possible, especially in a state school. But the major challenge is how you will present it on your CV without it raising questions from prospective employers. For example Bsc Botany- 2010-2014, Bsc Chemistry- 2010-2014 in the same CV. Most would assume a fraud was invoved especially international companies.
One can do different CVs for each of them.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by vicque(f): 9:55am On Jan 26, 2018
slyfoxxjoe:
It's surely legal but not a very wise thing to do.

Best comment
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by samwise99(m): 10:00am On Jan 26, 2018
I know a Guy who graduated from course A last yr and is in 300L for course B now.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 26, 2018
DKrown:
dear nairalanders, is it legal to pursue two undergraduate courses in Nigerian institutions simultaneously? please share your opinions.

It should be illegal.

How u wan attend lectures for both courses or schools?
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by DKrown: 11:05am On Jan 26, 2018
Iam thinking of taking biochem in LASU and chemistry in NOUN.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 26, 2018
DKrown:

but i heard that it is allowed in the U.S.A, india and some other countries.
In the U.S, when doing a double major at 1 school, yes. But if doing 2 different courses at 2 different Unis at the same time, I don't think it's allowed.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Rainmaker69(m): 12:26pm On Jan 26, 2018
It is definitely quite odd to present two degrees obtained at the same time from two different schools on 1 cv.
Notwithstanding the oddity, I'm not aware of any law that proscribes this. It's not advisable on health grounds and also because some schools have minimum attendance requirements in addition to scholarship requirements. Juggling both programs will definitely take its toll, especially considering the negative nature of Nigerian education.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by mechanics(m): 1:07pm On Jan 26, 2018
How will one cope, it's better you finish one and go for the other.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Koladelampard: 1:11pm On Jan 26, 2018
DKrown:
dear nairalanders, is it legal to pursue two undergraduate courses in Nigerian institutions simultaneously? please share your opinions.
It is illegal .. The Nigerian University Commision clearly states that every Nigerian student should only be matriculated once . It is illegal to be matriculated twice . That is why a student rusticated/ expelled in a school should not be accepted in another school . However , we do not follow laid down laws in the country .. do we ?
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by seunH: 2:40pm On Jan 26, 2018
spencekat:
One can do different CVs for each of them.
Trully its possible, but pray you are not caught, either via a former company you once submitted your CV or anywhere. If you get caught your employment would be terminated asap. It's like using different names to apply for different jobs.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by guiddoti: 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2018
DKrown:
with the same registration number, it is legal, if not, it is illegal. But with different institutions, it is legal.
But,
How do you cope with these two courses.? Probably sufting sorting sporting courses, right?
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by klinklin: 4:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
Crossbow:
No matter how brilliant you are, you can't take the mental pressure from 2 undergraduate courses, you will really feel the impact in your 300l and u will get poor results from both ends.
This is why people fail exams: poster asked if it's legal or not and not if ur brain can carry it.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Sexyolori(f): 5:51pm On Jan 26, 2018
Crossbow:
No matter how brilliant you are, you can't take the mental pressure from 2 undergraduate courses, you will really feel the impact in your 300l and u will get poor results from both ends.
I know someone who did it o. it was crazy, very stressful and mentally tasking.sometimes exams and tests clashed and he had to carry over a few times but in the end he made it.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Crossbow(m): 6:10pm On Jan 26, 2018
klinklin:

This is why people fail exams: poster asked if it's legal or not and not if ur brain can carry it.

Thanks for the correction.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by pillowz: 6:19pm On Jan 26, 2018
DKrown:

A friend of mine studying microbiology took up medicine and surgery in his third year of microbiology in same school. He did excellently well. It's just that he read everywhere even in church.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Crossbow(m): 7:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
Sexyolori:

I know someone who did it o. it was crazy, very stressful and mentally tasking.sometimes exams and tests clashed and he had to carry over a few times but in the end he made it.

Thank you for pointing this out. People will think it will be bread and coke.

My 300 level, we were having classes from 8am every day like secondary school students.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by mytym(m): 7:26pm On Jan 26, 2018
IME1:
I know 2 people who did it in a federal university

Since they initially gave them courses they did not like

They started them but wrote jamb again, got the courses they liked and continued simultaneously

What am I saying sef? I know 3 people!

Have a good day everyone

And what were their CGPAs as at Part 3 in both courses? Even if they did well ceteris paribus, they're are like 0.1% the other 99.9% are the ones who had 2 courses concurrently and didn't do so well in both courses. From lectures and examinations clashing to Avalanche of references. Let's not delve into the intricacies sef. The best case scenario is someone pursuing both courses in the same school which is very criminal.

Truth is it is possible, but what's the objective of taking any undergraduate course...To sufficiently learn enough to effectively translate and put to use the knowledge for the benefit of human environment having passed necessary requirements which includes but not limited to Quizes, Exams, Assignments,Thesis, Labworks, Field trips, internships and all necessary knowledge exposures.

Do you know that some undergraduate degrees are so laborious that if one has a reference in a particular course, one doesnt have enough space to re-register that particular course immediately in the following session due to work load and exhausted credit units. At times when you have the space, exams clash. Now imagine pursuing two different undergraduate degrees. Even in schools that allow for summer resits it is counter productive...

The OP asked a legality question. It is outrightly illegal.
Ideally the JAMB issues Matric Number to all undergraduates, so if things are done normally Jamb's database should even eliminate biometric data that appear in any Tertiary application who's been matriculated and whose duration of study has not termed. This will even prevent the person from 2nd admission until he concludes the first one or until rustication whichever case happens first.

But Nigeria is still crawling (strikes and all...) so anything is possible. I personally know a family friend that ran a degree program and HND concurrently. (OAU and Fed Poly Ede).
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by mytym(m): 7:37pm On Jan 26, 2018
pillowz:

A friend of mine studying microbiology took up medicine and surgery in his third year of microbiology in same school. He did excellently well. It's just that he read everywhere even in church.

Microbiology is in the larger family of MBBS at least in first 3 years. It's an additional stress in the same domain and even at that I'm certain Part I course requirements for both courses are the same.

Real stress will start in his 2nd year of MBBS and simultaneously handling final year husstles of microbiology. And the reading workload for microbiology would have greatly reduced then having only stress of mbbs, and final year projects.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by Chinwolot(m): 12:07am On Jan 27, 2018
I don't know why people think it's rocket science to do this. I did it and graduated from both. Although it's going to take a lot from you vizier time, money, energy, even (to an extent) social life. Infact, it's very tasking.
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by lastdon5: 11:28am On Jan 27, 2018
truckin:
My brother, back in the day... If Absu senate catch u erh!

An Ikenga sited wink
truckin:
My brother, back in the day... If Absu senate catch u erh!

An Ikenga sited
Re: Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? by IME1: 8:05pm On Feb 03, 2018
mytym:

And what were their CGPAs as at Part 3 in both courses? Even if they did well ceteris paribus, they're are like 0.1% the other 99.9% are the ones who had 2 courses concurrently and didn't do so well in both courses. From lectures and examinations clashing to Avalanche of references. Let's not delve into the intricacies sef. The best case scenario is someone pursuing both courses in the same school which is very criminal.

Truth is it is possible, but what's the objective of taking any undergraduate course...To sufficiently learn enough to effectively translate and put to use the knowledge for the benefit of human environment having passed necessary requirements which includes but not limited to Quizes, Exams, Assignments,Thesis, Labworks, Field trips, internships and all necessary knowledge exposures.

Do you know that some undergraduate degrees are so laborious that if one has a reference in a particular course, one doesnt have enough space to re-register that particular course immediately in the following session due to work load and exhausted credit units. At times when you have the space, exams clash. Now imagine pursuing two different undergraduate degrees. Even in schools that allow for summer resits it is counter productive...

The OP asked a legality question. It is outrightly illegal.
Ideally the JAMB issues Matric Number to all undergraduates, so if things are done normally Jamb's database should even eliminate biometric data that appear in any Tertiary application who's been matriculated and whose duration of study has not termed. This will even prevent the person from 2nd admission until he concludes the first one or until rustication whichever case happens first.

But Nigeria is still crawling (strikes and all...) so anything is possible. I personally know a family friend that ran a degree program and HND concurrently. (OAU and Fed Poly Ede).

My brother the thing tire me oh.
One stays opposite my house she ran fine art and engineering
Her dad said she must study engine na so she knack am 2.1 carry 1st class for fine art.

The second one her papa na former registrar I no know if she continue with the second course sha, na law and ISD

The third na microbiology and medicine , I sure say the guy drop the MOB.

most of these people did it cause they took a course and rewrote JAMB for the courses they genuinely desired...

Wetin I know, make i watch news bo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: UTAS Doesn't Have Hardware Backing. – Ngige / FG Suspends UNN Chairman Of Governing Council / Panel Clears FUTO Over Appointment Of Pantami As Professor Of Cybersecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.