Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,290 members, 7,811,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today (13725 Views)

Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah / Cheap Online Businesses In Nigeria You Can Start Today / The Top 5 Reasons why Nigerians (Should) Prefer PayPal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by ugojibaby: 9:47am On Jan 27, 2018
Freelancing is simply a means where you work independently and sell your skills to various clients. Unlike the regular offline jobs, with freelance, you are in charge of everything in your business. All your clients care about is that you make quality deliveries within the stipulated deadline.

Take a cue from the U.S

Many Nigerians still overlook freelance as a way of earning good income online. As a result, many people continually complain about either their low income or unemployed status or inflation rate. This does not have to be. Take for instance, statistics from a research by Forbes showed that about 35 percent of the U.S workforce are freelancers. That translates to roughly about 55 million Americans! This goes to show you how lucrative freelancing is.

Why freelance will still be relevant in future

The reason why freelance is lucrative is that there is a demand for various skills. The demand determines the supply and by extension, determines the continued existence of freelance. Many companies and start ups prefer to give projects to freelancers simply because it doesn’t make sense for them to employ someone.

For instance, a company that wants to redesign their website may find it cheaper to just hire a freelancer rather than employ someone for the job. Start-ups that need a logo will find it cheaper to hire a freelancer than employ a graphics designer for the job. When you put in mind that there are thousands of companies and start-ups with several needs all around the world, the idea of freelance will make more sense to you. So it’s a win for these businesses and for you too!

3 reasons why Nigerians should start freelancing today

1. Everyone has a skill

Nature has blessed everyone with a skill that allows us express ourselves and earn a living by it. For instance, some people are naturally wired to be geeks and so find coding to be interesting. Others have the natural ability to write what someone wants to read. Another set of people have a natural flair for languages and can speak one or more foreign languages. Yet still, some people are musically gifted.

No matter your ability, there’s a demand in the market for what you’ve got. So, why under-utilize your abilities when it could also fetch you an income?

2. The income is attractive

Literally, there’s no limit to what you can earn from freelancing. If you’re not content with what you’re earning as a freelancer, you can always push the price up by raising the quality your offer or by finding new clients. Either way, it’s more money into your account.

There’s no need explaining how tough Nigeria is. You can make it easier for yourself through freelancing.

3. It works for both the employed and unemployed folks

There are several success stories of people who started freelancing while still working at their regular jobs, but eventually quitted when it was obvious that freelancing fetched them more money than what they earned. Others turned into freelancing because they couldn’t find any offline job to do.

Either case, the point is clear that you can take freelance as a part time business and also a full time business. If you take it as a part time business, you may just have to turn down many jobs and limit yourself to the workload you can finish in your spare time. If you want it full time too, it’s still awesome!

Read More From Source http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2018/01/5-sure-lucrative-online-businesses-you.html

[img]https://1.bp..com/-BtgWvPu8Ttw/WmXmzgfJ9YI/AAAAAAAAAHE/syqX31WwMMc7hGQOQYpimOypUpYeFDSgwCLcBGAs/s1600/freelancing.jpg[/img]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by seunakin231(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2018
Side gigs are quite good, helpful and needful, no reasons not to have added income if u can, However, As much as i encourage It, Its underpriced in Nigeria, firms tend to see it as doing you a favour....

7 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by princetboy(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2018
Fp
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by smudge2079(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2018
I find this very informative. There is always a skill that can fetch you money. Think critically and find yours.

2 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by dhebz2pon(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2018
Good advice op
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by kstyle2(m): 7:55am On Jan 29, 2018
Good info.
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Danchibez: 7:58am On Jan 29, 2018
I need a clue on how to start it, can one help me?

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by SUMCIOUZ(m): 7:58am On Jan 29, 2018
Fuel iS180
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Imakeherdrip(m): 7:59am On Jan 29, 2018
The problem with most Nigerians, is the "traditional stereotype" -- which is, to be educated and later hunt for a white collar job.
As long as this abounds, Nigerians will never adopt freelancing as a good job prospect.
Thanks for the thread though. I believe this would make NLs aware of the goodies associated with freelancing.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Nathan2016: 7:59am On Jan 29, 2018
MMM....the best freelance website that year

11 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by mayskit4luv(m): 8:00am On Jan 29, 2018
Ok
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Imakeherdrip(m): 8:01am On Jan 29, 2018
seunakin231:
Side gigs re quite important, no reasons not to have added income if u can, However, As much as i encourage It, Its underpriced in Nigeria, firms tend to see it has doing you a favour....

That's the beauty about freelancing. It doesn't have to be a Local firm. You could decide to take the job or not. That's why platforms like fiverr were created.

3 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by afolwalex20(m): 8:05am On Jan 29, 2018
The problem is building the right profile for jobs to flow in.
I took my time in creating a nice profile.. I design websites.. No matter how good I present myself for jobs, I just couldn't get it. It's kinda hard for newbies..

3 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by phemmyfour: 8:06am On Jan 29, 2018
It doesn't work in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by emerged01(m): 8:06am On Jan 29, 2018
I need a help on how to start

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by jetz(m): 8:09am On Jan 29, 2018
fiverr is now flooded by indian spammers, you do a job they tell u it's not up to their taste yet they still use your work

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Thatnawtichick(f): 8:10am On Jan 29, 2018
I hear about this everyday but I need someone to tell me what its about , how to start ,and what to do

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by nofij(m): 8:17am On Jan 29, 2018
Freelancing has paid the bills for me.... I doubt I'll ever work for anyone.

13 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by umaryusuf(m): 8:21am On Jan 29, 2018
In Nigeria that people like SARS don't know the difference between a FREELANCER and YAHOO YAHOO.

If you ever say you work online, then nah Yahoo Yahoo you dey do....

5 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Pavore9: 8:23am On Jan 29, 2018
Freelancing is empowering. Once you can deliver more than expected and within the scheduled time, the hard currencies is yours. A good number of Kenyans depend on that from writing, transcribing, websearch and to even using hootsuite to manage the social media accounts of their clients who are predominantly in North America, Europe and Australia.

Once lived in an apartment block in Nairobi where most of the occupants were freelancers, the place was more like a ghost town as they were always indoors working on their laptops!

8 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Fingerprinter(m): 8:26am On Jan 29, 2018
I understand that the OP is just trying to lure people in and sell them a product.
That said, freelancing is still a good way to earn money in Nigeria.
If you have a good skill, are smart, then you can earn a lot of money from freelancing.
You must also think outside the box too!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by lavenjcrown(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2018
freelance simply means working for yourself without been under control by anybody called boss or oga. you mobilize your goods or product to client anytime any where.
Thatnawtichick:
I hear about this everyday but I need someone to tell me what its about , how to start ,and what to do
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by great664(m): 8:34am On Jan 29, 2018
A living proof.

I don't think I can work for anyone when foreigners appreciate little things you do for them while paying you instead of Nigeria where even Govt think thy are doing you a favor by paying salary..

I even have one client who pay me to just listen to webinar videos so I can learn what he want me to help him With....

Nigerians looking for 20 yrs experience and must not be more than 35 yrs with MSc and PHD as added advantage.

6 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Topmaike007(m): 8:35am On Jan 29, 2018
what type of skill should I pocess before becoming a freelancer?cos I am liking this one

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Krafty006: 8:40am On Jan 29, 2018
nice one, custom made shoes, marketers/ freelancers : 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6.
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Pavore9: 8:41am On Jan 29, 2018
great664:
A living proof.

I don't think I can work for anyone when foreigners appreciate little things you do for them while paying you instead of Nigeria where even Govt think thy are doing you a favor by paying salary..

I even have one client who pay me to just listen to webinar videos so I can learn what he want me to help him With....

Nigerians looking for 20 yrs experience and must not be more than 35 yrs with MSc and PHD as added advantage.

You are right. I have been freely trained on some skills which I was paid for when I started applying it. Foreigners are very liberal but clients from Pakistan, India, Nepal etc are not good news.

1 Like

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 29, 2018
seunakin231:
Side gigs re quite important, no reasons not to have added income if u can, However, As much as i encourage It, Its underpriced in Nigeria, firms tend to see it as doing you a favour....
Exactly
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 29, 2018
Thatnawtichick:
I thought I was the only one..the only thing I get are clues.. No tangible directive..
How do we start?
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by mrphysics(m): 8:46am On Jan 29, 2018
jetz:
fiverr is now flooded by indian spammers, you do a job they tell u it's not up to their taste yet they still use your work
I always tell people to avoid Indians. Immediately an Indian man contacts me for a job, I rejects it immediately. Indian and pakistans, I avoid them

5 Likes

Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 29, 2018
Pavore9:

You are right. I have been freely trained on some skills which I was paid for when I started applying it. Foreigners are very liberal but clients from Pakistan, India, Nepal etc are not good news.
May i ask what skills and how you got the free training? If you don't mind that is.
Re: Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 29, 2018
HarkymTheOracle:

I thought I was the only one..the only thing I get are clues.. No tangible directive..
How do we start?
Me too. I rly need this info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Destroys Umuahia Industrial Market / Kuda Microfinance Bank Sort Code / The Rise And Fall Of Online Retail In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.