Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? (46611 Views)

Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra / Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by PSTEMMA1960(m): 7:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
joeaz58:
It is not very common for babies to be born while flying at 36,000 feet, but when it does happen it is generally a newsworthy event for a plane to land with one more passenger than it had when it took off. This week, a mom gave birth to a healthy baby on an Air France flight from Paris to New York before they could reach the ground at JFK. Luckily, there was a doctor on board to manage the situation until they could get the mama and baby some on-the-ground medical attention, and in this case, everything seems to have worked out just fine.

A common question that comes up when this happens (in addition to does the baby get free flights?) is what citizenship is a baby given when they are born on an airplane?

airforce1

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by IamLEGEND1: 7:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
ipledge10:
This show is reducing my sleeping time. I’m still in season 2. It’s second to the Originals in my ranking
The show kind of goes downhill in season 3 but season 4 was fire.

The originals disappointed me with their latest season......but I'm already hooked on it,so I've got to stick around for the final run.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2018
ogbeniolola:
May your wife not put to bed on a flight from US to Nigeria.
LMAOOO grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Jabioro: 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2018
It is called midair or airbone citizen and if it happened to cross international dateline his/her age will be automatically reduced by a day...lobatan!
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by neolboy(m): 7:31pm On Jan 27, 2018
IamLEGEND1:
It means the baby won't be a grounder.... he'll be a citizen of Skaikru.

abeg who knows when the 100 will be returning?

Around April 24 precisely
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by lordess(m): 7:33pm On Jan 27, 2018
ogbeniolola:

Abeg no vex... where u from? grin
ogbeniolola:

Abeg no vex... where u from?
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by winfy11(m): 7:34pm On Jan 27, 2018
gurunlocker:
Airplane mode
shocked
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Niftyrules(m): 7:35pm On Jan 27, 2018
joeaz58:
It is not very common for babies to be born while flying at 36,000 feet, but when it does happen it is generally a newsworthy event for a plane to land with one more passenger than it had when it took off. This week, a mom gave birth to a healthy baby on an Air France flight from Paris to New York before they could reach the ground at JFK. Luckily, there was a doctor on board to manage the situation until they could get the mama and baby some on-the-ground medical attention, and in this case, everything seems to have worked out just fine.

A common question that comes up when this happens (in addition to does the baby get free flights?) is what citizenship is a baby given when they are born on an airplane?

I thought of that same question too when I saw that post.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by jeroba1(m): 7:36pm On Jan 27, 2018
d final destination of d plane is the baby country
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Emmahunk(m): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2018
The embassies or high commission of any Country in another Country, enjoys the rights and privileges of it's parent Country. This is to say for instance, that the American embassies in Lagos and Abuja are assumed by law to be America. Likewise, the vessels or aircrafts of any Country enjoys the same rights and privileges.
However, since citizenship regulations vary from Country to Country, the citizenship of the child in question is subject to the Immigration laws of the Country of disembarkation ordinarily, he would have acquired the citizenship of the Country that owns the flight where in it was born as would be the case if delivered on an American owned flight.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Sanctecosma(m): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2018
Vannlex:
the country that the was born at that point in time ;Dthe country that the was born at that point in time

Even when you repeated ur comment, you still didn't come out clean.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by greatwhite(m): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2018
The baby could file for citizenship in the country of destination or the country that the airplane represent. It depends on the country's immigration laws. If it accommodates such scenario. But in between that time the baby remains state less.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by bigtt76(f): 7:38pm On Jan 27, 2018
Aeroplanean grin but village people nor try for that mom shaaa cheesy after all the hustle and arrangements to born for US, dem nor wan gree am grin

joeaz58:

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by 2016easy2017: 7:39pm On Jan 27, 2018
dual.
wherehe's coming from and where he's going
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by ikemesit4477: 7:40pm On Jan 27, 2018
joeaz58:

Nice question, but I won't lie to you, I don't know!
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by socialmediaman: 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2018
omosefeeguaibor:
I guess the child's citizenship will take the country of where the plane was registered kind of, that is at least logical

I’d say it depends on whose airspace the child was born and the country’s immigration policy regarding births within their airspace.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by CornFooPanda(m): 7:42pm On Jan 27, 2018
Politiculator:
The country where the plane was currently located before the child was born.
If it was over the Atlantic ocean, then the child belongs to the Marine spirit. If it is over India, the child is an Indian and may likely worship cows.
If it is over Alqaeda, then the child is a terrorist.
If it is over Edo, then the child is not a child but your ancestor who is flying with the plane.

Omo na ur answer correct pass grin
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by IamLEGEND1: 7:45pm On Jan 27, 2018
neolboy:

Around April 24 precisely
Thanks,man.

beautydutch:
February
Apparently they'll be back mid-april.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by umuna(m): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
9jaBloke:
Exact question I thought of when I heard the news. I also think the country of destination will claim the child on arrival, since that is the first country the child is entering.

Someone with facts should please answer.

The plane landed and she was taken to hospital for checkup. The pickin na us citizen!
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Itulah(m): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
Right answer so far...

nextstep:
Depends on the situation.

For some countries, citizenship is granted on basis of blood (i.e. your parents, no matter where, and what vessel).

Then in addition, some countries (e.g. US) grant citizenship if child is born in or over its territories.

And third, depending on where the plane is registered (if the country is signatory to the Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness agreement), said child is a citizen of the country of registry.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by OjujuCalabar(m): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
The country of destination of the mother. �����
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by DemonInSiege: 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
Na airplane impregnate im mama?
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by socialmediaman: 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2018
joeaz58:

I think it depends on the country who owns the airspace where the child was born at that time and the country’s immigration policy regarding births in their airspace. If the child was born in nobody’s airspace then his/her citizenship would naturally default to the mother’s citizenship since most countries would automatically give citizenship to a child based on the mother’s citizenship
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by BlackDBagba: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2018
Errrr... UK does not give automatic citizenship. Sorry.

moscobabs:
I wanted to ask this question last week but I remembered a topic was created sometimes ago and it makes front page but seems the op missed the topic or is a new nairalander

If a plane is travelling to UK when the baby is born the baby is definitely a UK citizen and if the baby comes to the world and he was born while coming from US to Nigeria then he is definitely a Nigeria born
angry
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by emmie14: 7:49pm On Jan 27, 2018
Hi. Is illegal to admit a 9months pregnant woman on board
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Remiblaze(m): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2018
Tallesty1:
A citizen of flight mode.

LOL
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Itulah(m): 7:51pm On Jan 27, 2018
The answer is quite complicated, and contested. Countries have different laws governing the citizenship of babies born on their soil–either jus soli or jus sanguinis; Latin for right of the soil versus right of blood, respectively. Most countries follow jus sanguinis, which dictates that the baby can only assume citizenship via one or both parents. However, the U.S. and some of its neighbors observe the more generous jus soli, which grants automatic citizenship to babies born on their soil.

Things get a little shadier on ships and aircraft. Is an airplane considered to be the soil of the country which owns the airline? According to the United Nations, a baby born on a flight is a citizen of the country where the airline is registered. However, this is not always the case. Weirdly enough, despite its general adherence to jus soli, the United States will not recognize a baby birthed on a U.S. vessel unless it is docked at a U.S. port or flying within the country's airspace.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Remiblaze(m): 7:51pm On Jan 27, 2018
IamLEGEND1:
The show kind of goes downhill in season 3 but season 4 was fire.

The originals disappointed me with their latest season......but I'm already hooked on it,so I've got to stick around for the final run.
What show is that pls
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by ABSTRUSE: 7:56pm On Jan 27, 2018
Well, if both parents are Nigerians, he becomes a Nigerian automatically. However, depending on the laws of the other country, he could enjoy dual citizenship.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:56pm On Jan 27, 2018
beautydutch:
February
It's April actually not February

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by soyyo: 7:57pm On Jan 27, 2018
DrObum:
I used to think it's the country in which the airline is registered.
... its actually the country of the airline,in this case the child will be a french citizen haven been born on an airfrance flight.thats always the first option that is considered,the second is the territory on which the child was born in.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lastma Officer At Ikeja Axis Dancing While Executing His Duty Excellently / Finally, My Experience Flying For The Very First Time / Heartbreaking Burial Poster Of Couple Who Died In Accident In Benin Expressway(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.