Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:57 AM

Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc (3031 Views)

Court Slams N5 Million Fine On EFCC For Violation Of Right / Fraud In NBC: EFCC Recovers N10b, Set To Prosecute Ex-dg Mba, Three Others / PDP Releases Statement On EFCC's Media Trial. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by evil666(m): 2:04am On Apr 17, 2010
FORMER governor of Delta state, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has slammed a N10 billion suit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for what he called libelous publications against him.
In a 32-point statement of claims filed at the Federal High Court, Asaba, on Thursday, April 15, by his counsel, Ekemejero Ohwovoriole and J.B. Daudu (SAN), the plaintiff sought an order of perpetual injunction to restrain the anti-graft commission from further publishing any libelous publication about him.

Chief Ibori wants the court to declare that the defendant’s (EFCC) publication, dated 13th April, 2010 , headlined: “Why we are looking for Ibori – EFCC”, predicated on twisted falsehood, was libelous and defamatory.

The plaintiff catalogued the series of publications in the media against by EFCC since April 10, 2010 , saying that the publications exposed him to public odium, ridicule, disdain, hatred and that it had lowered his integrity in the estimation of the right thinking members of the society.

He claimed that the publications were read and viewed by third parties world wide through the television, radio broadcasts, the Internet and newspapers.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/887-ibori-slams-n10b-suit-on-efcc.html
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by tayoast(m): 6:18am On Apr 17, 2010
hehehe. . . ds is LAUGHABLE. The thief is out of cash. . .
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by snowdrops(m): 7:23am On Apr 17, 2010
Desperate measures.

The guilty are afraid.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by marvix(m): 7:30am On Apr 17, 2010
Quote frm post
saying that the publications exposed him to public odium, ridicule, disdain, hatred and that it had lowered his integrity in the estimation of the right thinking members of the society.

Those right thinkin people must be very few nd wld be membas of d thievin cabal, Ibori let the game begin
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by desthan(m): 11:45am On Apr 17, 2010
tayo_ast:

hehehe. . . ds is LAUGHABLE.[b] The thief is out of cash. . . [/b]

buhahaha. . . . grin grin
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by elelem(m): 12:24pm On Apr 17, 2010
Insult upon injury. What impudence,
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by jokingmary(m): 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
looks like EFCC are now doing some real job here cool cool
that's good cheesy
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by citizenY(m): 1:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
i LAUGH I ESPERANTO grin

THIS IS NIGERIA FOR YOU.

WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS FEDERAL HIGH COURT IN ASABA WAS ESTABLISHED SPECIFICALLY FOR IBORI.
SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT. THE DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT HAS ESTABLISHED A COURT FOR IBORI AS
PART OF HIS RETIREMENT BENEFITS. AND WE ARE WATCHING
cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by jumpmasta(m): 1:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
THIS IDIOT IBORI IS ADOPTING AN AGE LONG STRATEGY"THE BEST FORM OF DEFENSE IS AN OUTRIGHT ATTACK".HE WILL SURELY END UP IN PRISON ,WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by violent(m): 1:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
The rabbit is looking to catch the hunter!

He knows that with Aondoakaa out of power, that's definitely the last straw!

I love his strategy though, you gotta give it to him, his lawyers sure have brains and some balls! By the time his suit on EFCC is done, Waziri might be tired already.

The downside of it is, if court throws this suit out as baseless, then i will happily sit on my couch and eat pop corn as i watch EFCC drag his behind through the mud.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by SapeleGuy: 1:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
I don't see how he can lose this libel case (he may not get N10b), after EFCC declared him wanted on the 14th instead of the 17th.

This particular episode was particularly chaotic even by Waziri and Babafemi's standards. If he wins this case it will mark the end of Waziri at EFCC.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by saemoenl(f): 2:09pm On Apr 17, 2010
ok
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by violent(m): 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
I agree with SapeleGuy, EFCC went overboard in this case, they invited him to come on 17th and they declared him wanted on 13th!

Ibori might very well have a case here, but he should just forget about the 10bn, the most he can expect is apologies on the pages of newspapers.

let's see who laughs last
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by truly: 4:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
So he cannot be arrested
but he can sue
Na wah

I desperately need to become an ex-convict
Looks like that is a qualification for greater things
- governorship
- ability to fend off impending arrest
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by egift(m): 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
For being in the offensive - perhaps a good strategy for him. Maybe he have been attending a combat academy.

So lets see if EFCC will back off or complete this task.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by nethacker(m): 4:33pm On Apr 17, 2010
Ibori again!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked he needs to be stoned to death
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 17, 2010
Ibori & his lawyers are master strategists. People expected him to go on defensive but he went on offensive - the best way to defend is to attack. By the time waziri & her witch hunting agency wil out of the libel, she'l understand better that Ibori is a force to be reckoned with or maybe the FG would have sent her home. Lets see how the drama unfolds. It's becoming more interesting,
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by komekn(m): 5:35pm On Apr 17, 2010
Administrative error of dates is common place in Nigeria and does not constitute a material point of major contention and certainly not libel. Using the judgment of the reasonable man what is the dispute, James Ibori was, is and still is declared wanted for criminal offences, therefore what’s the point of contention, that they EFCC declared him wanted too quickly or did not take permission from him Ibori first.

Personally I think his suit will fail comprehensively, the issues of loss, damage as a consequence of libel again far from substantiated is at best facetious.

The only people that will laughing all the way to the bank are his lawyers who are taking him on a jolly good merry go round while they get their cut of that stolen loot.

Worry not it seems we will be seeing Ibori at the Old Bailey soon, it might be a better option jail in UK or in one of our 9JA jails , I am sure when he considers it he might beg to go to the UK, imagine breakfast at Okere or Wormwood Scrubs garri with roaches or baked beans and sausages, grin
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by violent(m): 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
komekn:

Administrative error of dates is common place in Nigeria and does not constitute a material point of major contention and certainly not libel. Using the judgment of the reasonable man what is the dispute, James Ibori was, is and still is declared wanted for criminal offences, therefore what’s the point of contention, that they EFCC declared him wanted too quickly or did not take permission from him Ibori first.

Personally I think his suit will fail comprehensively, the issues of loss, damage as a consequence of libel again far from substantiated is at best facetious.

The only people that will laughing all the way to the bank are his lawyers who are taking him on a jolly good merry go round while they get their cut of that stolen loot.

Worry not it seems we will be seeing Ibori at the Old Bailey soon, it might be a better option jail in UK or in one of our 9JA jails , I am sure when he considers it he might beg to go to the UK, imagine breakfast at Okere or Wormwood Scrubs garri with roaches or baked beans and sausages, grin

EFCC was meant to invite him, and if he fails to honor the invitation, then they can declare him wanted not the other way round.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by komekn(m): 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
The rules of criminal apprehension say well in fact there are no rules.

You don't give criminals an invitation you arrest them and if you can’t find them you declare them wanted, until you do find them.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by violent(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
komekn:

The rules of criminal apprehension say well in fact there are no rules.

You don't give criminals an invitation you arrest them and if you can’t find them you declare them wanted, until you do find them.

And how exactly by legal standards is he a criminal when he hasn't been convicted by the court?
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by nex(m): 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
Ibori's lawyer is silly. If he'd sued for a couple of millions, maybe it woulda been considerable. But since they've sued for N10 billion, then the EFCC have to go the extra length to prove his crimes so they wouldn't have to pay out two thirds of a billion dollars.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by komekn(m): 11:12pm On Apr 17, 2010
violent,

Generally speaking:

criminal legal definition-

1. One who has committed a crime.
2. One who has been convicted of a crime.
3. Constituting, implying, or involving a crime or an element of a crime.
4. Pertaining to some aspect of the penal code or its administration.

As is common knowledge Ibori convicted for theft (building materials) at Wickes and stolen credit cards in the UK as well as in Nigeria for theft of building materials .
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by redsun(m): 12:15am On Apr 18, 2010
How much money was allocated to ibori during his tenure as the governor of delta state and what did he spend it on?.it is quite simple,the records of the money allocations,aswell as the expenditures need to be accounted for to know whether he is guilty of misappropritaion of the public funds or not.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by redsun(m): 12:18am On Apr 18, 2010
I wonder why mend haven't killed that guy.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by okooyinbo(m): 1:23pm On Apr 18, 2010

Because they are in the same boat.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by mrkoma2012: 5:29pm On Apr 18, 2010
It seems this man has no decency with all d loot at his disposal
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by redsun(m): 6:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
okooyinbo:

Because they are in the same boat.

He is probably one of the top financier of mend.What a disaster.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by Rastamann: 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2010
This Ibori is a criminal and should be dealt with. Before, forcing himself on people (selected by PDP) as governor, he was a criminal, as a governor his criminality increased and now he is still a hardened criminal. Why are some people so shameless and conscienceless? My God, why can't are these people treating Nigerian masses like this? God where you dey?
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
The way some Nigerians reason baffles me. They don't read between the lines. What they know is kill him, stone him, jail him & all that. One should wait & ask what will edwin clark & his cohorts gain in pulling Ibori down? Is it because he didn't give them their own cut of the loot? Is Ibori the only ex-governor that is corrupt? Is it not a fact that all the 36 states governors during obj's regime are corrupt? In fact el-rufai inclusive because we all saw what happened when he appeared in the hallow chamber.
Why is Ibori the only one being chased up & down?
EFCC has not starting fighting corruption. When they start we'l all know. EFCC should start from the top because we know of a man who spent $16.5Bn on power sector but we got darkness, towards the end of his tenure(when TTA failed) he sold 2 of our refineries, he awarded railway project that worths $8.3bn and paid in full. If that $16.5bn was utilized in the power sector, the unemployment wouldnt have reached this level & no Nigerian company would have moved to Ghana. So EFCC should go after him if they want to be taken serious.
I'm already writing a book to enlighten Nigerians about the major players during obj's regime because i have their full dossiers.
The intelligent Nigerians know that what EFCC is doing is what is obtainable in Nollywood. So they can't decieve us anymore.
Re: Ibori Slams N10b Suit On Efcc by marvix(m): 9:58pm On Apr 18, 2010
All this Ibori nonsense just makes me imagine wat wld hav happened if Buhari had won d 2007 elections. The EFCC wld hav bin givin their court nd Asaba courts wil not have jurisdiction in any of his cases, evidences wld hav been released even in d face of Buharis tyranny Ibori wld find it dificult gettin refuge in any western nation esp UK, Idiagbon must sure be turnin in his grave nd d only thing we give credit 2 dis people for is human right abuses, I wonder who really abuses humans, the man who takes high profile thieves into jail without an oportunity 2 defend themselves or those who consistently loot our common heritage and turn graduates hawkers of crayfish, school children hawkers of poor water. Pls pple tell me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku To Go Back To Acn? / Tales Of Biafra We Shall Never Forget.(pictures) / Chime Declares Support For Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.