Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile (7117 Views)

Innoson Partners With Shell For The Supply Of Innoson Vehicles(photos) / 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car / 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by meganews: 10:14pm On Jan 30, 2018
Two Nigerian companies, Media Seal Limited (formerly Starcom Media Services Limited) and Bytesize Limited, as well as Mr. Ayo Oluwatosin, have dragged Hyundai Motors Nigeria Limited before a Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja, over allegation of sale of defective automobile.

They are praying the court for an order compelling the automobile company to pay them a total of One Hundred and Sixty-Five Million, Five Hundred and Ninety-Five Naira (165, 595) only as refund of the purchase sum, breach of contract as well as general damages.

The claimants in their Writ of Summons denominated as ID/ADR/629/2017, are seeking a number of reliefs including a declaration that an Hyundai Grand Santa Fe GLS 3.3L AT Arabian Mocha/Black with Chassis number: KMHSN81EDFU097184 and Engine No: G6DFEA34538 sold to the claimants by Hyundai Motors is not fit for the purpose for which it was bought.

They are also praying the court for an order that Hyundai Motors refunds the sum of Fifteen Million Five Hundred and Ninety-Five Thousand Naira (15, 595, 000. 00) only being the amount paid for the said car.

The claimants are also praying for an order that they be paid Fifty Million Naira (50,000,000.00) only for breach of contract, and another One Hundred Million Naira (100,000,000.00) only as general damages.

The claimants is also seeking an order compelling the defendant to pay 15% interest to them from the day the suit was filed till judgement was given, as well as another 25% interest to them from the day judgement was given till judgement sum is liquidated.

In their statement of claim dated 9th November, 2017 signed by their counsel, Wale Ogunade the claimants averred that they purchased four (4) units of vehicles from Hyundai on the 1st June, 2016, as well as the car in question on 5th October, 2016.

The claimants further averred that the said cars were delivered to them on the 6th October and 2nd June, 2016, respectively.

They further stated that when the Grand Santa Fe GLS 3.3L was put to use between the 21st October and 26th October, 2016, it was discovered that the said vehicle had a brake problem, a development that was promptly brought to the attention of Hyundai Motors.

The claimants further averred that they received an internal correspondence from the automobile company through electronic mail on 26th, 27th, and 28th wherein Hyundai Motors reportedly urged some of its staff members that the repairs of the said vehicle be hastened to avoid suspicion by the claimants.

While pointing out that the parties reached an agreement on 23rd March, 2017, following the intervention of Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse, the claimants averred that it has come to their notice that Hyundai Motors has been in the news for defects in some of its vehicles of which some have been recalled by Hyundai Motors parent company.

In the written statement/deposition on oath of Mr. Oluwatosin, he stated that at a meeting held at Bonojo Badejo & Co office, Hyundai Motors demanded a fresh Four Million Naira (4,000,000.00) only for the replacement of the alleged defective car.

Hyundai Motors, however denied culpability in the transaction having according to it conducted extensive pre-delivery on every component parts of the vehicles and that all were found to be in perfect condition before handing the said vehicle over to the customers.

http://meganews.com.ng/2018/01/30/hyundai-faces-n165-million-suit-alleged-supply-defective-automobile/

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by bendike: 10:26pm On Jan 30, 2018
Isn't a vehicle worth 15m meant to have at least 3 years or 100k mile warranty? shocked

16 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Omololu2121: 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2018
When Hyundai lose if they refuse to pay,what will the court do,cause I don't think they have any asset here in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by ruggedmallaam(m): 6:42am On Jan 31, 2018
Okay o that is their own cup of akamu
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by MiguelKingII(m): 6:43am On Jan 31, 2018
How this news go take put food for my table this morning, abi wee wit change the fact that Buhari is still the president of Nigeria while somewhere in other part of the world somebody is swearing himself in as President of a Country lipsrsealed
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by 2shure: 6:47am On Jan 31, 2018
auction export loading

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Gkay1(m): 6:47am On Jan 31, 2018
e nor concern me
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by oneda(m): 6:49am On Jan 31, 2018
These foreign companies need to be taught heavy lessons so they won't be taking citizens for a ride. Anyways if the government would rather deploy the army on its own unarmed protesters while turning blind
eyes to armed has slamming cattle rearers and even invasion of its territory by Cameroon when will they have time to address issues as this?

3 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by AdolfHitlerxXx: 6:51am On Jan 31, 2018
Chineke...the same steaming pile of SHIIT some dealers here ask 7 million for? grin

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by money121(m): 6:55am On Jan 31, 2018
Ok
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by bendike: 6:55am On Jan 31, 2018
Omololu2121:
When Hyundai lose if they refuse to pay,what will the court do,cause I don't think they have any asset here in Nigeria
I believe they have show rooms filled up with vehicles. They also have consignments of imported vehicles that could be seized. Very liquid assets. cool

5 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Nobody: 6:59am On Jan 31, 2018
Because u bought a single car for 15 million, u r demanding over 100 million in damages. The thunder that will fire u people is coming from Libya

5 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 31, 2018
bendike:

I believe they have show rooms filled up with vehicles. They also have consignments of imported vehicles that could be seized. Very liquid assets. cool
how is it the fault of Hyundai? They agreed to fix it for them
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 31, 2018
Omololu2121:

It can be enforced being that their rep in Nigeria is a legal rep of the company. Even if hounds parent Co is deep in sea that judgement will be enforced
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by salford1: 7:11am On Jan 31, 2018
bendike:
Isn't a vehicle worth 15m meant to have at least 3 years or 100k mile warranty? shocked
Nigerian roads would void any warranty after 1 week of driving the vehicle. Only tokunbo, Innoson and old school 504 are good for Nigerian roads. lol

3 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by SalamRushdie: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2018
Hyundai should have just replaced the defective car and save themselves the bad marketing this suit might whip up ..

3 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by deepwater(f): 7:20am On Jan 31, 2018
Even in the marine world
Ships on maiden voyages makes port call often to replace defective components.

That is where aftersale engineering comes into learn, it's a very important phase for the manufacturer as they learn how their products perform in real life than just relying on simulations.

Not enough reason to sue

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by poseidon12: 7:21am On Jan 31, 2018
lofty900:
Because u bought a single car for 15 million, u r demanding over 100 million in damages. The thunder that will fire u people is coming from Libya

I was wondering about that too. The plaintiffs come across as greedy. They want to use Hyundai to hammer. They should get their 15M plus a little in punitive damages.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by BigIyanga: 7:32am On Jan 31, 2018
“An Hyundai Grand Santa Fe GLS 3.3L AT Arabian”
See English..type it the way u say it in your dialect
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 31, 2018
BigIyanga:

“An Hyundai Grand Santa Fe GLS 3.3L AT Arabian”
See English..type it the way u say it in your dialect

How can anyone in his right senses buy an Hyundai product for 15 Million Naira? Is that person mad or bitten by a rabid dog?

I swear to Obatala, if I am gifted any Hyundai car, I will immediately put it up for sale within 30minutes.

There are difference between cars & bicycles!

3 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by CSTR2: 7:42am On Jan 31, 2018
lofty900:
So if someone happens to use that vehicle and got an accident where he broke his spinal cord due to the faulty vehicle, you think 100 million will be enough to give him his health back?

3 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:57am On Jan 31, 2018
hyundai has a reputation for selling defective vehicles, if every one that had a problem with a brand new hyundai came out like this, they would be out of business in no time.

7 Likes

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by deathwing(m): 8:22am On Jan 31, 2018
abi

bendike:
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:36am On Jan 31, 2018
Omololu2121:

Their business in Nigeria is worth billions, besides they can be dragged to ecowas or AU courts of jurisdiction it even sued in their own countries.

There is no hiding place.
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by geosuzzy(f): 8:46am On Jan 31, 2018
Paper trail
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by deathwing(m): 8:53am On Jan 31, 2018
What then is the value of the warranty that car sellers bandy about if they have to be dragged to court to fix brake pad??
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 31, 2018
If you want to buy a hyundai or kia it's better one buys a US spec version cos the ones sold here in Nigeria is Nothing to write home about. Scaled down versions brought in from Malaysia and some features removed.
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by WorldRichest: 9:39am On Jan 31, 2018
Imagine common Orients with tiny eyes now defrauding Nigerians with big opolo eyes.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by FFOD(m): 10:25am On Jan 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
hyundai has a reputation for selling defective vehicles, if every one that had a problem with a brand new hyundai came out like this, they would be out of business in no time.

I find this surprising..
I'm thinking about my Kia in a funny way now

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by mommaJ(f): 3:19pm On Jan 31, 2018
GOOD DAY NAIRALANDERS.I M STILL HERE...DONT GIVE UP ON ME YET https://www.nairaland.com/4312232/husbanda-good-man-help#64528004
Re: Hyundai Faces N165 Million Suit Over Alleged Supply Of Defective Automobile by BigIyanga: 3:49pm On Jan 31, 2018
Zoharariel:

How can anyone in his right senses buy an Hyundai product for 15 Million Naira? Is that person mad or bitten by a rabid dog?

I swear to Obatala, if I am gifted any Hyundai car, I will immediately put it up for sale within 30minutes.

There are difference between cars & bicycles!
Still didnt get it? Lol. It’s “A” Hyundai not “an”Hyundai

(1) (Reply)

NADDC Plans To Develop Campus Shuttle Electric Vehicles In Nigeria / Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise / Changing My Torn Car Leather Seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.