Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir (22951 Views)

Paddy Adenuga Advises Men On What To Do Before Sending Money To Their Women / Paddy Adenuga: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Mike Adenuga’s Son / Paddy Adenuga: 'I Cannot Date A Lady That Wears Wig, I Have Standards' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by ochejoseph(m): 5:16pm On Jan 31, 2018
Chronicles of Catalan : Five Lessons I learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir

One thing that Paddy's memoir thought many ignorant Nigerians like my self was that Paddy Adenuga was not the spoilt, overbearing, and unintelligent fellow that the Nigerian media have painted over the years. As I read through his Chevron Netherlands acquisition dairy, I pictured a young Nigerian that exemplifies the true Nigerian spirit of never giving up, a young Nigerian transforming his education, training, and contacts into an idea that would have revolutionized the way oil and gas business is conducted on the continent.

Going through his write up to me was like attending Harvard Business school through the back door, the whole business concept of Catalan, and the openness with which he described his failures and willingness to accept responsibilities for them makes the chronicles of Catalan a good read for African businessmen and women with interest in becoming big players in the Oil and gas sector on the continent with one of the largest proven oil and gas reserves in the world.

Lessons From Paddy

1. Unlike many rich kids and heir to riches, Paddy had the courage to strike out on his own and build a business that was bigger than anything he has ever attempted.

Lesson: All rich kids are not the same ; the fact that he/ she is from a rich home does not mean he/she is not intelligent, ambitious or hardworking.

2. Although born with a silver spoon, here was a golden boy, uncomfortable with sitting back and getting a golden pass through life. He swapped the largest Indigenous mobile telecommunications operator with a five man start up to pursue his dreams.

Lesson: Riches does not necessarily make you fulfilled

3. He was willing to venture and travel into unfamiliar territories outside his comfort zone in search of new opportunities instead of "feasting" on his fathers empire.

Lesson : There are certain things you will never learn in your comfort zone

4. The Edgar and Remi component of the memoir showed that experience and relationships still matters a lot in business, and that although he has managed companies at the highest levels, he was not immune to making bid wrecking and business crumbling mistakes.

Lesson: You may never get help if you refuse to ask.

5. The Catalan Management advice against his guts is a reminder to business tycoons and entrepreneurs that sometimes its pays to trust your instincts.

Lesson: It takes more than best brains to succeed in business.

As an avid reader and author, I have chosen to share this few but powerful lessons I have learnt from Paddy's chronicles praying that perhaps , Nigerians who hate long reads like me sometime ago will somehow learn from a Nigerian who has chosen to share his memoir with us with the hope that we will learn from the mistakes of his near acquisition of Chevron Netherlands and just like his father we will one day share in his joy and accomplishments.

Oche Joseph Otorkpa
31. 01. 2018
Abuja, Nigeria

http://www.publichealth.com.ng/catalan-chronicles-5-lesson-i-learnt-from-paddy-adenuga-memoir/

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by HRHQueenPhil(f): 5:34pm On Jan 31, 2018
chronicles of catalan, sweet name though

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by YouthsPC0: 6:09pm On Jan 31, 2018
A young man with good business sense

10 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by FleetAdmiral(m): 6:17pm On Jan 31, 2018
Really inspired...paddy got guts

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by oviejnr(m): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2018
That part he talked about Bull being his fathers favorite Avatar while he choose Lion really got me. A Lion in the North Sea cool cool

14 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by hoygift(m): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2018
Is not easy to come from a rich family though, i know how its like... Then seeing them that work hard not minding dads money make me cry grin grin grin

Come to think of it the rich men will always show their kids the way to becoming rich, that's why we dont get to see them or hear about them any how, like today is the first time am hearing of this paddy...

The rich men of this time was very serious while the average men of this time were busy selling those stuffs to the white men and busy chasing women up and down..

I love rich dads no matter the means more than the poor dads...

Thank you nigerians

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by MhizzAJ(f): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2018
The guy looks rough

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by megastu(m): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
It thought me to value and pay professionals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
Paddy got me inspired by sharing that piece ...oh shiit

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
We will keep seeing different posts from different people claiming they have learnt one or two thing.... simply because it's Adenuga. The typical ass licking character with most Nigerians. What paddy has done is what every other "business man" does everyday. Trying to get deals done.
Whilst I salute his effort, boldness, courage and entrepreneur spirit, I do not find his story motivating. Yes, it's not bad belle. Catalan was just another trading business that may have happened. Typical buying and selling with no tangible technology creation or transfer itself. I mean Paddy is not building a product from scratch, going to test it market, trying to acquire customers and then not making money as one would have projected. Stories like facebook, Google, Amazon, Dropbox, pay stack, microsoft, apple and name it. These are businesses that were built from nothing. Adenuga wanted to purchase an asset. With some connection, you can secure loan from the bank and buy an oil assest. It's something we hear everyday. It would have been a more interesting story if he did something outside his father's business. I mean build a product from scratch. This is my own definition of entrepreneurship!

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Afam4eva(m): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
1. Unlike many rich kids and heir to riches, Paddy had the courage to strike out on his own and build a business that was bigger than anything he has ever attempted.

Lesson: All rich kids are not the same ; the fact that he/ she is from a rich home does not mean he/she is not intelligent, ambitious or hardworking.
Yes, the fact that he or she is from a rich home does not mean they will be intelligent or ambitious but being from a rich home puts you at a pedestal from where you can decide what you want to do with your life. Paddy Adenuga had all that.

9 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by dhamstar(m): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
OK... cool
Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Bayajidda1: 6:38pm On Jan 31, 2018
grin
Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 31, 2018
Now, after reading through the memoir of Paddy, this is the 2nd thread created about lessons learnt.

Yes, Paddy is a brilliant business oriented chap & I also learnt from his mistakes but please, it is enough. Let us not overflog this issue.

Nagode!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by AdolfHitlerxXx: 6:38pm On Jan 31, 2018
This story is over-hyped... really don't get all the hullabaloo

Some folks are just jumping on the bandwagon and pretending it's Nobel or Pullitzer worthy grin.

1. There was no guarantee he would have won the bid if he had paid the facilitator that huge amount

2. It's not 100% sure he could have competed with the company from Oman - we don't know the size of their pockets

Paddy is MEGA rich and handsome...i don't just get the hype of this "Chronicles of Catalan"

If you go around bribing conmen to "facilitate" deals and keep telling all family friends your business plans, ur bank account would speak up

For those who "get" it and are inspired by what i consider a puff piece, wish them good luck!

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by obiageIi(f): 6:39pm On Jan 31, 2018
Best read of the year so far.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by PoliticalThuG(m): 6:39pm On Jan 31, 2018
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 31, 2018
No be person wey don chop go dey think how to acquire chevron.

Is it somebody that is still praying "... and give us our daily bread" without knowing where the bread is coming from that will be taking reckless finanancial risks up and down

18 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by BiafranBushBoy: 6:40pm On Jan 31, 2018
wow

It is all sumed up in this piece my father taught me.

50 life lessons you should learn before you turn 35 years

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by solid3(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2018
I will write my story soon. I was inspired.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by ebujany(m): 6:43pm On Jan 31, 2018
undecided

I just see a rich kid with connections

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 31, 2018
ebujany:
undecided

I just see a rich kid with connections
nothing was built from ground. Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by crismark(m): 6:45pm On Jan 31, 2018
nonsense!!! he had free access to huge capital
Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by YouthsPC0: 6:47pm On Jan 31, 2018
Typical brainless Nigerian always complaining and never having the opportunity to appreciate anything good.
Paddy is one of us rich or poor he has shared his story with us not hidding his flaws if you did not learn anything at least you can learn to shut up

majekdom2:
We will keep seeing different posts from different people claiming they have learnt one or two thing.... simply because it's Adenuga. The typical ass licking character with most Nigerians. What paddy has done is what every other "business man" does everyday. Trying to get deals done.
Whilst I salute his effort, boldness, courage and entrepreneur spirit, I do not find his story motivating. Yes, it's not bad belle. Catalan was just another trading business that may have happened. Typical buying and selling with no tangible technology creation or transfer itself. I mean Paddy is not building a product from scratch, going to test it market, trying to acquire customers and then not making money as one would have projected. Stories like facebook, Google, Amazon, Dropbox, pay stack, microsoft, apple and name it. These are businesses that were built from nothing. Adenuga wanted to purchase an asset. With some connection, you can secure loan from the bank and buy an oil assest. It's something we hear everyday. It would have been a more interesting story if he did something outside his father's business. I mean build a product from scratch. This is my own definition of entrepreneurship!

21 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by juddexy2(m): 6:47pm On Jan 31, 2018
Personally i learnt :
1. Atimes you join alliances with your rivals to achieve a noble cause
2. Never underestimate the power of intellectual instinct
3. Finally, take out time to relax and refresh the mind as this may bring in fresh ideas as fine wine does to the mind�

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by MrMcJay(m): 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2018
majekdom2:

As you stand today, if I'm to invest a million dollars into you, do you have a viable business enterprise to absorb such investment or you'll keep manufacturing excuses as you did above?

Mike has laid a solid foundation for Paddy to build on. Whether you like it or not, he won't operate business at your level, he's passed your pedestal. He's filling the gap between demand and supply and not trying to create a market in itself. Those points you created are for a different business model.

Because you have built a thatched hut, you refuse to learn from someone who tried to build a. duplex and suffered temporary setback.

If you can't build a skyscraper, build the solid foundation that your children would build skyscrapers on.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by sexaddict08(m): 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
aint opening any bbnaija thread...
thank God its working, so far i don't know anyone there.
important thread don't make front page only this useless ones without value.
you can do the same too

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 31, 2018
YouthsPC0:

Typical brainless Nigerian always complaining and never having the opportunity to appreciate anything

how do you mean appreciate. Why should I appreciate it. What value will be added to Nigeria? Will catalan be a Nigeria company paying tax to Nigerian govt? Will Nigerians be employed? Why una no dey use una head like this. . Shell and many IOC's divests assets all around the world and it's individuals that buy them? What's the noise all about really??

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by michlins(m): 6:54pm On Jan 31, 2018
I read the whole memoir. Though the dude made use of the parents wealth but he's something many aren't. He's hardworking and resilient

5 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by YouthsPC0: 6:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
crismark:
nonsense!!! he had free access to huge capital

Other rich kids also have huge access to Cash and blew it all on Ashawooo

5 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of Catalan : Five Lessons I Learnt From Paddy Adenuga's Memoir by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2018
Bleep him! Bleep his lessons!

The playing ground isn't levelled!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Cooking Gas Business Unveiled / Shareholders Funds Wiped Out As MTN Nigeria Incurs N740bn FOREX Losses / How Can I Make Money Online With No Start Up Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.