Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? (26171 Views)

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? / How I Got Interviewed For A Job On Upwork / Who Has Interviewed At Fundquest Financial Services Limited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by oodua1stson: 9:20am On Feb 01, 2018
Stupid people.

They should know people find jobs to eat 1st. Now she was offered the food without the job and you expect her to turn it down
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Yameater(m): 9:24am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:
I believe it was done to test her patience and focus on her objective, she didn't go there to eat but to get a job, if refreshment was initially stated as a part of the interview then it won't be wrong.

brilliant!!!
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Johnnyoungster(m): 9:26am On Feb 01, 2018
There is something wrong with our thinking mentality in this part of the world....We are so backward....

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by frank043(m): 9:31am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

All these are mere excuses , any company can use any criteria they deem fit when it comes to recruiting workers, any company is as good as its workforce so don't blame them if they aim for the best.

Don't be too quick to judge madam. Those we are copying are evolving positively, but we are just here perpetuating mediocrity. That young lady may have grave circumstances behind her decision to accept lunch... I believe she knows that the best decision for her is to accept that lunch and solve her immediate challenge, probably to gain some composure and all. The only area I felt she flawed was not being careful enough to avoid the oily mess on her shirt.

Mind you, I have been to an interview where I drank water, took a cup of coffee, ate snacks and still go the job! So my dear, having a bite or a drink won't affect your competency for that position.

It's only a shitty company that can go this far and deny a competent and prospective employee a role cos he/she accepted a meal offer.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Chyxki: 9:33am On Feb 01, 2018
In my own thoughts, I believe accepting an offer for lunch would depend on the setting. If there is still sufficient time before you face the panel. accepting is okay. I don't see anything wrong she did by accepting the offer for lunch after she had been delayed for about two hours. Also, for the stain on her shirt, I feel it's no offence if they give her a little time to clean up a bit. If her overall appearance is neat and decent, then an oil stain from a meal she had in the interview premises should be overlookable (since it's obvious she didn't arrive that way i.e she carried out due diligence to respect the organisation by arriving neatly dressed).

However, it becomes an offence if the role she's to be interviewed for requires that she never accepts an offer of a meal under such conditions, or gets her shirt stained for any reason (even by mistake); then she has obviously given reason for a low score. There are a number of ways to think about this issue...

On the other hand, the truth remains that every interview is a two-way thing: while the interviewer interviews the interviewee, the interviewee should also not fail to make a mental assessment of the organisation to know whether he or she would like to work there. Some organisations could be unnecessarily, strict or harsh, and trust me you don't want to be with them.

For me, I don't think the candidate did wrong by politely accepting a meal nicely offered, and that shouldn't make he or she fail except they did not perform very well on the necessary indices. I can go on and on, but maybe I should stop here.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by wristbangle: 9:35am On Feb 01, 2018
Andy2274:
. You just judged yourself. Tell me what preparation is. I am not surprised if you are one of them that put graduate through written test and 3 oral interviews and the only time you see them smile at the applicant is when they want to tell you that your salary is #30,000 and you will work from Monday to Saturday. Go to good companies if they do all these nonsense. They give you time not those idiots that will send you interview message by 7pm for interview the next day by 8am at lekki when they see Iyana ipaja in your address. I have attended interview with 2 oil firms they serve breakfast and pay me. Ask anybody that have attended interview with Total and Saipem like 5 years back. HR people like you that graduate with 3rd class and was manipulated to be in position will be looking for first class and second class upper with 25years of age and 3yrs experience for a job of 30k.

Fantastic comment! The part where you mentioned that organisation give short interview notice to employees is so common most especially those lekki firms. They deliberately do this to screen out candidates.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by frank043(m): 9:36am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

Africans and mediocrity and inferiority complex ...smh, what brought in imitating 'oyinbo people '? if imitating oyinbo people will yield better results then why go for less? Do you even have any idea of what preparation means? So not eating for less than 3hours will kill you? hahahhahahhahahh.... you guys are funny Abeg, with mindsets like this, little wonder this country is not not going anywhere.

Not eating for 3hours and more may not kill you, and you don't represent the entire human race!

My former boss needs to regularly up his sugar level every 2hours or thereabout, so, stop generalizing, it proves absolutely NOTHING!!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Justeenaleo(f): 9:37am On Feb 01, 2018
You people are just over analysing this thing. If she did well she would have gotten the job.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by delishpot: 9:46am On Feb 01, 2018
It shouldnt affect anything unless she dissregarded their instruction. eg if they said take one and she took 2 thinking no one was watching.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Oludon20: 10:03am On Feb 01, 2018
I do not agree,I also went for a job interview in Lagos in 2016. Although the Lunch was given to me after my interview....but Bros I chop am o and by his grace I am working for that Company today. So i guess it depends.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by kollinpowel(m): 10:09am On Feb 01, 2018
In Jose Mourinho's voice: if you miss the ball don't miss the leg
Meaning: if you are not sure you will get the job then don't miss the meal.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by manikspears: 10:13am On Feb 01, 2018
Blakjewelry:
if she no get the job, she at least eat their food

abi now! plus all these dos and donts are just used to create tension,the company HR already know who they want (list done complete before interview)so come what may.i will advise her to go and learn table manners,why she go chop stain shirt angry ?
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by joenor(m): 10:15am On Feb 01, 2018
For me, I don't see anything wrong in that, I arrive before the said time, and they delay me till almost 2 hours, if i be that person when nor dey like morning food, and at that time my belle need food, I know it better to take an excuse to get something outside the office, but if I nor come get money... I better chop the one I see.. Shu Oghene Migwor! tongue
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by texazzpete(m): 10:25am On Feb 01, 2018
When I say Nigerians are the biggest cowards in the world, people start arguing blindly. Why would you be frozen in fear when someone offers you food to compensate for keeping you waiting?
It's your choice to either reject or accept. No sane HR person would reject a stellar applicant just because they ate food the company offered them.

That said, allowing oil to stain your clothes is just sloppy.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by zeestone99(m): 10:32am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

Bro, I am equally perplexed like you when I read the story.

For crying out loud, why would a recruiter judge a candidate based on her starving stomach knowing that they were the one that caused it by delaying her.

Some organisation judgement to access potential employees is horrible.

As for me, I totally disagree with her HR friend

Madam, this method to test her competence is archaic and seriously flawed. She might pretend and eventually collapsed during the interview session. On whose account would that read for. She didn't do anything wrong

Well said, I can't jst imagine, if we shud count all d don'ts of all dis job interview nonsense, its sickening, all because I wanna work, rubbish
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by joe4christ(m): 10:40am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

Bro, I am equally perplexed like you when I read the story.

For crying out loud, why would a recruiter judge a candidate based on her starving stomach knowing that they were the one that caused it by delaying her.

Some organisation judgement to access potential employees is horrible.

As for me, I totally disagree with her HR friend

Madam, this method to test her competence is archaic and seriously flawed. She might pretend and eventually collapsed during the interview session. On whose account would that read for. She didn't do anything wrong

She was wrong to have eaten that meal, this goes out to all those intending to go for an interview. Pls eat well before you go for that interview, an average interview is time consuming. Opportunity met with preparedness is what will eventually lead to success.
Patience could actually be what the organization was on the look out for. She was tested, and she failed.

So, you're wrong to have judge the organization for putting such a test as a criteria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by joe4christ(m): 10:43am On Feb 01, 2018
zeestone99:

Well said, I can't jst imagine, if we shud count all d don'ts of all dis job interview nonsense, its sickening, all because I wanna work, rubbish

You weren't forced to apply, but in the working environment, you must behave formal. And her attitude towards the offer for a meal was too informal and unprofessional. Believe me!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by fpeter(f): 10:48am On Feb 01, 2018
Always politely decline an invitation to eat or drink when you go for an interview.
To the interviewer, if you eat, it shows lack of discipline and focus. Your main (interview) objective should be your major focus.
The interviewer may want to assess your table manners, or test how you would carry yourself in public if you're hired.
They may feel that you would likely go on to betray the company just for a plate of food or if you're sent to represent the brand you would lose focus of the message and instead of ensuring efficient service delivery you would be busy eating and drinking.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by ariklawani(f): 10:53am On Feb 01, 2018
No,onijekuje.Argentina...eat and lost Ur job opportunity...stupid question
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Ejerry(m): 10:56am On Feb 01, 2018
Leave that thing abeg.
When I went for the interview for where I currently work, I swear I was the last they interviewed, I was so hungry I ate the food, including other pple's; those who were too nervous to eat their food, I collected all of them cos the food wasn't plenty like house own.

You know what?

I got the job!

...and trust me the job was very competitive.

God's Grace!
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by holybabayo(m): 11:01am On Feb 01, 2018
Her not getting the job has absolutely nothing to do with the lunch she was served. Maybe getting her cloth stained may not appeal to the HR team. But generally, if she answered her questions well enough to the satisfaction of the team, she will be hired.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Reelmii: 11:11am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

Do you even know if she has been fasting, didn't eat well in the previous days or an ulcer patient?. Yes circumstances happen that put an employee in a position not to have time to eat but using this criteria to judge a potential employee is shameful.
it is not shameful, dat is y it is advisable to be well prepared, u can eat before going, or buy something light on ur way but most pple dont do this because we are to anxious about getting d job we forget dat at the end of d day we might still not be taken
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Missonas(f): 11:21am On Feb 01, 2018
No you should not eat even after the interview undecided
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Azam101: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2018
Blakjewelry:
if she no get the job, she at least eat their food
Poverty mentality ! she shot her self on the foot.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Azam101: 11:31am On Feb 01, 2018
Glutton lady!
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:32am On Feb 01, 2018
Azam101:
Poverty mentality ! she shot her self on the foot.
the last time I checked it is poverty mentality that will make a mother beat a child for eating meat from the pot.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Azam101: 11:44am On Feb 01, 2018
Blakjewelry:
the last time I checked it is poverty mentality that will make a mother beat a child for eating meat from the pot.
Bros they are two different scenario.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by dazzlingd(m): 11:45am On Feb 01, 2018
using time wasting as recruitment test by now should have been long abandoned and forgotten.

Time management is very essential, the candidates have a life and probably have other appointments to catch. An organization that cannot meet up with time is definitely not organised.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by sheriph: 12:11pm On Feb 01, 2018
YEYE NAIJA HR PEOPLE....I did an interview and the HR MANAGER was a British man . He moved us from the 4th floor of the office building to KFC ground floor. HE ordered for lunch meal which i ate with chilled cola and the interview commenced.. During the interview we spoke about football as well and i got the job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
satowind:
No. The only thing wrong is being carried away by food to the extent of staining your cloth. They offered her food for delaying her so there is nothing wrong with accepting.
Exactly. Eating the food isn't the problem but the fact that she stained her clothes shows she is not fit to represent the brand. Imagine if she was invited to an executive dinner, what will happen?
We all need to learn eating etiquette
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by satowind(m): 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2018
Isaac10:

Exactly. Eating the food isn't the problem but the fact that she stained her clothes shows she is not fit to represent the brand. Imagine if she was invited to an executive dinner, what will happen?
We all need to learn eating etiquette
i bet to differ. her eating manner has nothing to do with the job she is coming to do. then again it depends on the position she applied for.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by einsteine(m): 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2018
joe4christ:

You weren't forced to apply, but in the working environment, you must behave formal. And her attitude towards the offer for a meal was too informal and unprofessional. Believe me!

You were there to know her attitude towards the offer of the meal?

She could as well be disqualified for NOT eating the meal.

In any case, the reason for the bizarre behavior of HR operatives in Nigeria is due to the lack of jobs. When there are many vacancies to fill, companies would look for reasons to EMPLOY applicants rather than reasons to DISQUALIFY them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Graduates Get Paid As Low As #6000 Per Month In Nigeria? / "Why Should We Hire You?" - Tell Us How You Answer This. / Nigerian Airforce List Of Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruitment Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.