Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? (12548 Views)

Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? / 6 Attributes Employers Look For In A Candidate / A Candidate Didn't Do Well In Her Interview But She Was Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Rubyjade: 4:29pm On Sep 20, 2022

Do you have any question for us?

Oh yea, that very question all recruiters ask at the conclusion of every interview stage.

Immediately after my NYSC I started job hunting and was open to any role. As a matter of fact, my LinkedIn headline was "open to work"

After numerous interviews with countless rejections, I was invited for an interview for the position of a Front Desk Representative.

With joy in my heart, i acknowledged the email stating that "I will be available for the interview"

The first stage of the interview went smooth and all questions asked by the recruiter were perfectly answered and in my head, I knew I killed the process��

As expected, I made it to the next & final stage which was a chat with the MD, indeed I was glad and I came to a conclusion that the end of my job hunt was close.

So I prepared to meet the MD, the interview was going smoothly and all questions were answered perfectly. The MD went through my CV and having seen my qualifications and class of degree (CGPA) I noticed the look on his face changed.

The MD then asked, how can a B.Sc graduate with a good class of degree be applying for a front desk representative.

It was obviously the begining of my career and all recruiters knew that no ambitious candidate would want to spend years as a front desk rep except that candidate lack the zeal to grow.

You will agree with me that no knowledge is a waste and I tried my best explaining to the MD that I intend to gain practical knowledge and experience that will enable me grow in my career.

The MD was pleased and the interview process continued and then he popped the question "DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION FOR US?"

Of course I had a question �‍♀️ I started by explaining the importance of teamwork knowing fully well that teamwork is paramount for organizational growth, then I went further to ask if the staff in the organization work as a team�‍♀️

Indeed that was a simple & harmless question and the MD responded perfectly.

So as usual, they promised to get back to me

Days passed and no feedback so I contacted the HR wanting to know why I was yet to get a feedback, behold the HR said the MD didn't chose me because I asked him too many questions�

Like really??

I only asked one question about Teamwork, JUST ONE QUESTION�

I felt bad and that kept me wondering if it was wrong asking a question after every interview process.

Due to the feedback from the HR claiming that I asked the MD too many questions, I lost confidence in myself and I was always scared to ask a question during an interview.

I gave it a second thought and I promised to build back my self confidence and not let that scenario affect my approach to interviews.

Despite the challenges faced at the beginning of my career, all thanks be to God for seeing me through. I may not be where I want to be but I thank God I am not where I use to be.

Now my question is;

-Is it right or wrong for a candidate to ask questions after an interview
#work

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2022
To me that question sounds a little bit embarrassing, I would say that should not be a basis for you not to be given the role you applied for, but as you know we're all different.
What Mr A might see no offense in, Mr B might find it highly offensive.

14 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by lavylilly: 5:07pm On Sep 26, 2022
JosephJP:
To me that question sounds a little bit embarrassing, I would say that should not be a basis for you not to be given the role you applied for, but as you know we're all different.
What Mr A might see no offense in, Mr B might find it highly offensive.
what are you saying? If they don't ask you, inform the you have a question and in the event where you are coming from is far, request politely by asking them, "the question is , I don't know if you could support me with transport back home"

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by dpwinx25: 5:23pm On Sep 26, 2022
Ordinarily, you are meant to ask a question or questions when necessary. The issue we should be considering isn't he kind of questions you should ask. So, the questions should show your ambition to work in the organization and you can fit into the role perfectly. In simple terms, the question should show that you are ready to work and you want to know how you can fit in.

So, I'll say that your question is not bad, but I think the question you asked isobvious and even if they don't work as a group, trust me, they won't tell you otherwise.

I wish you good luck in your job search and if you have one already, congratulations

11 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
lavylilly:
what are you saying? If they don't ask you, inform the you have a question and in the event where you are coming from is far, request politely by asking them, "the question is , I don't know if you could support me with transport back home"
Baba, calm down
Your question was " Do you work as a team"
Wait! Or remind me if otherwise.
The organization wasn't working as a team, and they still stood the test of time till they had a vacant position to offer you?
Guy, if na me be the boss I swear I go slap that your dirty mouth.

17 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by DaBogu: 11:36pm On Sep 28, 2022
shocked
JosephJP:

Baba, calm down
Your question was " Do you work as a team"
Wait! Or remind me if otherwise.
The organization wasn't working as a team, and they still stood the test of time till they had a vacant position to offer you?
Guy, if na me be the boss I swear I go slap that your dirty mouth.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes.
Questions like:
1. How much you go pay if it hasn't been mentioned before?
2. Una get retirement benefits or pension?
3. Any sick leave or maternity leave?
4. Working hours and day?
5. Accomodation go dey?
6. Extra work or extra hour allowances nko?
7. Una dey do refreshing courses?
Any firm I drop my CV, they marvel cos of my experience. I no even do job hunting again since I turned a lawyer.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by DropsMic(m): 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2022
Here to learn
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by obembet(f): 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2022
M
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by wunmi590(m): 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2022
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes, ask questions
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Newfoundlove: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
I ask questions and I was never shunned
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Starboytwo(m): 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
Cant relate, sorry.

Never been to an interview before.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by StonedLex(m): 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
*** Puffs joint***

For me, it's okay to ask questions during interviews depending on who your interviewer is.
During the interview, get to know what type of personality he/she has. Little signs like body language is enough to read the interviewer.

I was once interviewed and it turned to a conversation lol

It doesn't work in all cases though.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Brendaniel: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
It depends on situation and circumstances...
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by phemmyfour: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes, I did...and I got the job

No, I did not...and I got the job

Don't be a robot, be natural when asking or responding to questions in an interview room

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by bigdammyj: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by ScamHunter: 2:22pm On Sep 29, 2022
You should ask questions in interviews
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by worldclass68(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2022
Not that kind of questions...its really embarrassing.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by ecolime(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2022
It's not wrong. Must be a reasonable question though.

In other news, vote Peter Obi so our business people can create more jobs for the Youths.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Faber(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes o...

Me I asked my interviewers in a firm in Benin City yesterday, " Hope one is allowed to attend Political rallies, like we are in campaign period?"

The main man laughed and said sure but it will not be more than twice in a month.

He come asked, : " it seems you're one of those Obidients? I replied yes...he said, he himself is obedient and must vote that day.

"Young Man you can now go" , that's what he told me, smiling, Omo I don chop that job, na wetin my mind dey tell me, since yesterday grin grin

It's important you ask some questions, make them no go sack you like that girl for PH, when you decide to express your constitutional rights

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Chizzyjforce: 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
If there's a meaningful question to ask, go ahead and ask, if not, don't ask unnecessary questions.

I remember asking the HR team of over 7 how was my performance when they asked if I have a question, we all started laughing because all of us including myself knew that I did Nonsense grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by seandurse(m): 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by kamokaze10(m): 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
Otondo... you manage see interview, you successfully passed the stage but at the point where you should just SHUT UP and quietly leave the office knowing the job is 50% in the bag.

Village people decided to restart their WiFi network in your head... Wetin concern you with teamwork, is that what you're going there for? Mtcheeeewwww.

Abeg next...

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by ogatboy(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
It is always good to ask questions. It shows you are inquisitive and interested. A standard question to ask is, 'how would you measure my success or progress in the given role?'

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Johel(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
[quote author=Rubyjade post=116849528][/quote]

Questions that's reasonable and relatable based on subject.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by valentineuwakwe(m): 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
yes..especially the salary size and work ethics.....they are very very vital!
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Toriagirl(f): 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
Asking questions are necessary because,they want to know if you able to do the job he or she applied for,but the question of asking for how many years experience is what is discouraging most times....
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by BrickDevo: 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes, only when the interviewer requests for it
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by JustforMen: 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
Make sure you ask atleast two intelligent questions.
Dont ask anything about Salary or leave or working conditions, etc.

Ask questions that demonstrate your interest in delivering value for the company.

E.g. what would you advice someone that wants to excel in this role to focus on for the first three months?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by chiefolododo(m): 2:28pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes...you are not a slave
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by SirJerrie(m): 2:29pm On Sep 29, 2022
The M.D most-likely had someone else in mind. And probably just wasted your time.

Asking questions during an interview is adviced against keeping quiet on matters you may not understand about the company... To avoid the "I thought.." scenarios

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Leadway Interview Experience. / Lubeck Capital Limited Fresh Graduate Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / N300,000-for-a-Job Civil Defence Scammers Nabbed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.