Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? (26182 Views)

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? / How I Got Interviewed For A Job On Upwork / Who Has Interviewed At Fundquest Financial Services Limited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2018
satowind:
i bet to differ. her eating manner has nothing to do with the job she is coming to do. then again it depends on the position she applied for.
It does have everything to do with it. Getting a job goes beyond knowledge, it also depends on charisma and personal branding. If you could attend an interview and soil your attire with food, then you'd pretty much mess up everything at work especially when no one is watching

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Chibuikem93(m): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
I don't think there's anything wrong in that. I have had the experience, I ate the food and it didn't stop me from getting the food.
My only problem with her is the stain on her cloth

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by larryUG(m): 1:05pm On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

Collapse? After just three hours? Then what will happen if she needs to work eight hours straight without food for something urgent? If you're going for an interview, you should go prepared, all round. What about people that are made to wait for 6-10 hours nko? You didn't go there to eat, you went for a job, wisdom should tell you what to do.
I dont agree with u. Ok let's say the lady in question ate only once the previous day or not at all as a result of lack of money cos of no job, and then u r testing her resolve to stay for another 3 or 4 hours without food? Did the HR take into consideration that the said lady may not have had something to eat prior to her attending the interview? If she gets the job and u demand she works for 8 hours then fine. That u r working for 8 or 10 hours straight still does not mean u should not take 5 mins for a tea or snack. At least i have been opportune to work for Shell and the other IOCs as a contractor and no matter how pressing the issue is, there's time for coffee or ciga break
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

Africans and mediocrity and inferiority complex ...smh, what brought in imitating 'oyinbo people '? if imitating oyinbo people will yield better results then why go for less? Do you even have any idea of what preparation means? So not eating for less than 3hours will kill you? hahahhahahhahahh.... you guys are funny Abeg, with mindsets like this, little wonder this country is not not going anywhere.

Since we have u, please move the country somewhere for us

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Spidermon: 1:16pm On Feb 01, 2018
Nigerians are conditioned for pain.

I dont even know how to comment....

Hmmm....

When food no dey house and you used your last card as t fare to get to the interview which you are not sure of the outcome....

I might lick the plate join sef.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Misscaring(f): 1:24pm On Feb 01, 2018
justtruth88miSt:
i look for job for years i couldn't secure one... until a create one... i m now an employer of labour...

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Misscaring(f): 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2018
naturefellow:
Oga, never go to engagements as an interview or physical assessment or examination on an empty stomach.

What if you don't having anything to eat while going for the interview and the money you needed to buy food will be use for transport to the venue?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by noziz(m): 1:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
she don mess up her chances of being selected. they just tested her. meanwhile a CCTV was watching her grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by elantraceey(f): 1:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
larryUG:

I dont agree with u. Ok let's say the lady in question ate only once the previous day or not at all as a result of lack of money cos of no job, and then u r testing her resolve to stay for another 3 or 4 hours without food? Did the HR take into consideration that the said lady may not have had something to eat prior to her attending the interview? If she gets the job and u demand she works for 8 hours then fine. That u r working for 8 or 10 hours straight still does not mean u should not take 5 mins for a tea or snack. At least i have been opportune to work for Shell and the other IOCs as a contractor and no matter how pressing the issue is, there's time for coffee or ciga break

What if she wasn't offered food at all, would she have died? All these excuses you guys are giving doesn't make any sense. She didn't go there to eat, she went there to get a job, self discipline is key!
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by badhtking(m): 1:52pm On Feb 01, 2018
Even if she don't get the job, at least she chop for the company head

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Misscaring(f): 1:57pm On Feb 01, 2018
dazzlingd:
using time wasting as recruitment test by now should have been long abandoned and forgotten.

Time management is very essential, the candidates have a life and probably have other appointments to catch. An organization that cannot meet up with time is definitely not organised.

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by arrestdarrester: 2:00pm On Feb 01, 2018
debossng:

After waiting for nearly 3hrs and you rejected the meal offer by " I just ate before getting here" so if you breakfast, you no go eat lunch again?
Please let's stop judging, eating or accepting to eat at interview is not an offense.
If you're good you'll get hired.

No problem. I just reasoned that if etiquette is part of the interview and you are not aware, simply play safe if you know you're not strong in that area.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by elantraceey(f): 2:03pm On Feb 01, 2018
raphafire:

Since we have u, please move the country somewhere for us

I'm doing my part, you should do yours too
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by holybabayo(m): 2:03pm On Feb 01, 2018
I KNOW THERE ARE MANY I TOO KNOW IN NAIRALAND. BUT ON THE TOPIC OF EATING FOOD OFFERED DURING INTERVIEW, NOTE THE FOLLOWING RULES:

THERE ARE CONDITIONS THAT YOU SHOULD NOT ACCEPT THE OFFER OF LUNCH:
1. WHEN ONLY ONE PERSON IN THE PANEL WAS CALLED FOR DINNER AND HE/SHE INVITES YOU, POLITELY DECLINE.
2. IF THE INTERVIEW HAS STARTED AND ANYTHING OTHER THAN TEA/COFFEE IS OFFERED, POLITELY DECLINE.
3. IF THE MENU IS MENTIONED AND IT IS ANYTHING THAN RICE and SNACKS, POLITELY DECLINE

BUT THERE ARE CONDITIONS THAT YOU MUST EAT. IF YOU DON'T, FORGET THE JOB; YOU HAVE LOST OUT.
1. WHEN THE SECRETARY, P.A, COOK OR STEWARD INVITE YOU FOR LUNCH OR WHEN THE HR INFORM YOU THAT YOU WILL BE SERVED LUNCH IN THE DINING ROOM. NOTE THAT THAT IS PART OF YOUR TEST FOR TABLE MANNERS. THERE ARE CCTV IN THE ROOM TO SEE YOUR TABLE MANNERS. IF YOU DECLINE, YOU HAVE MISSED A TEST AND WILL LIKELY FAIL. IF YOU PERFORM VERY WELL IN THE INTERVIEW PROPER, YOU MAY LIKELY BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
2. WHEN TEA/COFFEE IS OFFERED, YOU CAN ACCEPT OR DECLINE. BUT IF COFFEE IS PRESENTED TO YOU WITHOUT ASKING FOR YOUR PERMISSION, YOU MUST TAKE IT. IN FACT, THE HR WILL AS THAT YOU DRINK YOUR COFFEE. USUALLY, IT IS SERVED VERY HOT. THEY WANT TO KNOW YOUR TABLE MANNERS.

GENERALLY, IF YOU PERFORM VERY WELL IN THE INTERVIEW, NOT ONLY IN THE CORRECTNESS OF YOUR ANSWERS, BUT IN YOUR CONFIDENCE, CALM AND SETTLED BODY LANGUAGE, YOU WILL GET THE JOB. FORGET TABLE PERFORMANCE, YOU WILL BE GROOMED ON THE JOB LATER.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by fresherdanU: 2:09pm On Feb 01, 2018
DONT EAT YOUR FUTURE

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by elantraceey(f): 2:14pm On Feb 01, 2018
FILEBE:

Madam. Sorry, this is wrong, so wrong. What all these H. R do is just acting like a god. Would you prefer a neat employee who is lazy to a somewhat dirty employee who works hard and achieve exceptional results.
Just because she had a stain, she wasn't offered the job, what of she had eaten without the stains? It doesn't make sense that she has to lose her job for that reason at all. That can't affect her performance

So you cant be highly efficient and neat as well? I don't do silly excuses.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by satowind(m): 2:17pm On Feb 01, 2018
Like I said depends on the nature of the job
Isaac10:

It does have everything to do with it. Getting a job goes beyond knowledge, it also depends on charisma and personal branding. If you could attend an interview and soil your attire with food, then you'd pretty much mess up everything at work especially when no one is watching
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by elantraceey(f): 2:18pm On Feb 01, 2018
Surrey2Bimshire:

Our bodies are different. We aren’t all the same There are people that can’t funtion well without food due to their metabolism or health condition.

what if the food wasn't served?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by meekah: 2:18pm On Feb 01, 2018
IF AT ALL SHE IS GOING TO ACCEPT THE FOOD IT SHOULD BE AFTER THE INTERVIEW, HER MIND IS SUPPOSE TO BE ON WHAT SHE WENT FOR NOT THE FOOD,I VE EXPERINCE OF SUCH IN SOME INTERVIEW THAT I VE THE PRIVELDGE OF ATTENDING, WE WERE OFFER REFRESHMENT BUT SOME OF DECLINE THE REFRESHMENT(NOT TOTALY REJECTING THE REFRESHMENT) UNTIL AFTER THE INTERVIEW ORDINARY MY MIND WAS ON THE INTERVIEW NOT THE REFRESHMENT,I EXPECT HER TO DELAY UNTIL AFTER THE INTERVIEW SHE WOULDN'T HAVE DIE IF SHE AS DONE THE WAITING

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by naturefellow(m): 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2018
Misscaring:

What if you don't having anything to eat while going for the interview and the money you needed to buy food will be use for transport to the venue?
So you wan tell me say things are as bad as not having even garri to drink at home...? Hey, I guess you just need a cogent excuse to eat that interview rice. Well, go on. Its not a crime and no one will kill you! grin
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by upuphim(m): 3:37pm On Feb 01, 2018
It's because there are no jobs and no competition at getting applicants in Nigeria that's why companies don't make provision for breakfast and lunch for interview. Those who support the HR staff against eating the food, what if company gives a transport allowance after interview, will it also be a test? Hardship has made us to accept somethings as not normal.

For your information, MTN Nigeria provided breakfast and lunch for a whole day interview for us the mid 2000 for Customer care. We were afraid that the breakfast was a set up. But when hunger came and there was lunch, everybody ate and nobody remembered a set up as you can't even think of going out to find something to eat. I equally attended another MTN interview for Security Supervisor. We took breakfast when they served other staff. The chairman of panel came so late behind schedule, while apologizing, he inquired if we have been served breakfast.

Actually, companies are supposed to show case their caring for their staff to woo applicants. Like I said earlier, the negative turn of things in country is seriously affecting us, it's now the applicants that keep wooing companies for employment. God have mercy!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Prosthuks(m): 4:07pm On Feb 01, 2018
Blakjewelry:
if she no get the job, she at least eat their food
Blakjewelry:
Blakjewelry:
U bad sha. hahahaha.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by tundemoen: 4:22pm On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

Bro, I am equally perplexed like you when I read the story.

For crying out loud, why would a recruiter judge a candidate based on her starving stomach knowing that they were the one that caused it by delaying her.

Some organisation judgement to access potential employees is horrible.

As for me, I totally disagree with her HR friend

Madam, this method to test her competence is archaic and seriously flawed. She might pretend and eventually collapsed during the interview session. On whose account would that read for. She didn't do anything wrong
The lady fit get ulcer sef.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Pringlez: 4:39pm On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:
A young lady was invited to an interview for an entry level role. She arrived at the venue exactly 10minutes before the scheduled time and was asked to stay at the waiting room.

40 minutes later, a young man worked into the waiting room and apologised to her for the delay. He explained to her that the head of HR is trying to resolved an issue with an irate customer but will be with her shortly.

An hour 30mins later, the young man came back to apologize for further delay. This time around asked her if he could ger her lunch. Apparently this young lady was hungry and could no longer bare it. She accepted and a sumptuous meal was served.

She ate to her satisfaction but in the process got her white shirt stained with oil.

Not long after she finished her meal, the head of HR sent for her and immediately the interview began. The first question she was asked was "What happened to your shirt" She explained and the interview continued. At the end of the interview, she was told the usual "we will get back to you". When she got home, she narrated her experience to an HR friend.

Her friend told her it was wrong to have accepted the lunch as it could be used against her during decision making.

Do you agree with the HR friend?

Source: HR Forum Africa Post On LinkedIn

Lalasticlala
Typical and capital lie!!! after being kept for a long waiting period, eating lunch offered by a would-be employer will never cause you to loose a job opportunity. I know so many people who have had this priviledge especially in my work place and even I inclusive.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by jerryfisher(m): 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
Blakjewelry:
i sight you,,, short & simple

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Tijay90(m): 4:54pm On Feb 01, 2018
Ok then, starve to death because you are looking for job.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by bamisepeters(m): 6:24pm On Feb 01, 2018
I tried readinf the post all over again after reading all comments. With what i have read most people concluded already that she lost the job meanwhile she was told same thing they usually tell everyone either successful or not as she mifht be called later with the good news.

Accepting the offer for food to me is subjective as she might have her reason(s) be it medical or otherwise (we shouldn't forget that she was delayed which resulted to that offer, if she had not taken the food and something unexpected happened minutes later, only if she is alive is ehen she can share the experience as anything can happen at anytime).

The stain might affect the decision, but she might be considered if her performance during the interview was superb.

We shouldn't conclude she didn't get the job just yet as it is so obvious the post is talking about the conversation that took place immediately after the interview.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by joshrare(m): 8:00pm On Feb 01, 2018
Andy2274:
. Abeg forget all these protocols. The oyibo people we are imitating don't do that. Nigeria so called HR are wicked. What kind of testing of patience is that? If you went for a job interview you should die abi. If they didn't give her the job because of that let them go with their job. You don't know if she is an ulcer patient, she should keep quiet and die because of interview which at the end the salary will not be more than 40k

Bros, I agree with you 100% but looking at Nigeria as a country you can't blame those organisation because they have certain mindset on Nigeria and the economic structure of the nation...The mindset that there's no job and there are millions of people out there waiting for that opportunity make them do non sense....... Nigeria's population outgrows its employment rate....
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

All these are mere excuses , any company can use any criteria they deem fit when it comes to recruiting workers, any company is as good as its workforce so don't blame them if they aim for the best.

Rejecting food offered to you or having the durability to go 3 hours without food judges you to the best
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by cchiagom(f): 10:28pm On Feb 01, 2018
It depends on the job, if it's a sensitive job that shows the person lacks tenacity, can't work under pressure, and lacks self control. To all job seekers even when you are asked if you need water just say NO
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by haslaw(m): 10:45pm On Feb 01, 2018
[quote author=elantraceey post=64678722]

Collapse? After just three hours? Then what will happen if she needs to work eight hours straight without food for something urgent? If you're going for an interview, you should go prepared, all round. What about people that are made to wait for 6-10 hours nko? You didn't go there to eat, you went for a job, wisdom should tell you what to do.

You have been working for too long with Indians and Chinese and the slave mentality has eaten too deep into you because you can no longer reason like a normal human being.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by FILEBE(m): 10:55pm On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

So you cant be highly efficient and neat as well? I don't do silly excuses.

But i am highly efficient and dirty. It's not silly excuse, it's just these H. Rs playing god. After all these interviews and pretence on the part of the employee, it still doesn't change who they truly are. We borrow ties and shoes to an interview, we starched our clothes, smile and pretend just to get the job. After getting the job what happens? Impressing you for one day doesn't mean i will be like that after that day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My N-Power Testimony By An N-Powered Youth / Workforce Academy II 2014 / "Why Should We Hire You?" - Tell Us How You Answer This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.