Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. (11915 Views)

How To Tell If The Spark Plug In Your Car Needs Replacement / 5 Warning Signs Of Low Coolant In Car / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by AutoJoshNG: 2:55pm On Feb 02, 2018
No one enjoys battery issues. It's irritating that when you are already prepared to leave for work in the morning but your car won't start. No one enjoys being stuck somewhere at night because your car won't start.

Batteries are vital when it comes to giving your car the power it needs to function.

First of all, the battery starts your car with its stored power. Second, it keeps all the vehicle parts that rely on electricity running while your car is turned on — including the radio, heater, air conditioning, and other features.

We bring forth to you some warning signs that reveal when your battery needs replacement.

1. Engine cranks over and over before finally starting:
This can indicate your battery isn't charging as it should. Check the battery straight away. Do not ignore a slow starting engine.

2. Check engine light come on when starting your car:
We all know that check engine light can mean a lot. Low battery can be one of them.

3. Your battery is swollen:
If the battery is swollen, have an auto electrician check it for you.
The likely cause is that the battery has become overcharged due to overheating or excessive revving of the engine. Another cause of a swollen battery is that it is beyond its expiration date.

4. Battery is past its expiration date:
Your battery can last longer than its expected lifetime; this may depend on how often you drive your car.

5. Visible signs of corrosion on the battery:
Corrosion on the positive (+) and negative (-) hookups where your cables meet the battery indicates battery leak. It is possible to drive your car under this condition, but the corrosion may cause electrical breach over time 

If you decide to ignore these signs, you might one day end up with a stalled car when you least expect it. Take the necessary actions when you find out any of these signs. Form it as a habit to Clean the battery terminals every six months and to have the battery inspected

https://autojosh.com/5-warning-signs-reveal-battery-needs-replacement/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

4 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by twinskenny(m): 6:40pm On Feb 02, 2018
some people stil do push n start

2 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by MetroBaba1(m): 10:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
Oya, Oga Lalasticlala (Driver), Make We Push This Car Make E Start.

Mynd44 (Conductor) Stay Here.

Ishilove, Marpol, Seun, Obinoscopy (Passengers), Oya Puuuuuuuuuuuusssshhhhh.

Lalasticlala Start The Car, Straight To Promise Land

That's How We Make Our Engine To Start In Nairaland grin

3 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by sexaddict08(m): 7:47am On Feb 03, 2018
I drive tear leather. no issue
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by stano2(m): 7:51am On Feb 03, 2018
What causes new battery of a car to run flat within 7months?

My mum is always buying like 2 new batteries every year and no mechanic has been able to find the fault
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by Bestfactor: 7:53am On Feb 03, 2018
Plus using China instead of Korea battery

2 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by mu2sa2: 7:55am On Feb 03, 2018
sexaddict08:
I drive tear leather. no issue
The tips still useful - in nigeria tear leather turns ordinary in no time because of poor maintenance.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by chnovpaul(m): 8:00am On Feb 03, 2018
What is the lifespan of car batteries? I have been using a 100mAh dry cell for more than 4 years now, and I think it's time to change it. What does anyone think?
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by MrMakaveli20(m): 8:07am On Feb 03, 2018
stano2:

My mum is always buying like 2 new batteries every year and no mechanic has been able to find the fault
That's not good at all. A new battery should last minimum of two years. She should get a good Electrician and have it checked.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by feelgoodstuffs(m): 8:09am On Feb 03, 2018
Needed this at the right time wink
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by MrMakaveli20(m): 8:11am On Feb 03, 2018
chnovpaul:
What is the lifespan of car batteries? I have been using a 100mAh dry cell for more than 4 years now, and I think it's time to change it. What does anyone think?
You don't have to change it as long as its still good and not malfunctioning. You are very lucky you know. Even when it starts showing signs of been bad, you can always give it to your Electrician to charge and it will still serve another couple of months.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 03, 2018
stano2:

It could be as a result of electrical glitches such as; grounding fault, fuse draining, faulty alternator diode and so on.
Your mechanic/rewire will need to carry out battery draining current test.
In some rare cases, it could be manufacturer error, also when the battery capacity you keep buying is below the car specification in terms of Ampere-hour.
what's the vehicle model?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by Aldebaran(m): 8:42am On Feb 03, 2018
Nice
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by Bsideboi(m): 8:59am On Feb 03, 2018
And also strong pungent odour coming from your hood can also mean your battery is fried.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by bjayx: 9:15am On Feb 03, 2018
I'll never vote a former military man

1 Like

Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by ipobarecriminals: 9:28am On Feb 03, 2018
angry angry angry sad embarassed lipsrsealed for where?Batri nor dey expire for hia karry go batri charger/make person help u push Nd start am.**Oshodi express, nir change oo*
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by omega2128(m): 9:50am On Feb 03, 2018
also on the dorm light and headlamp, crank your car, if the lights go dim. you need new battery or charge up.
best test is using battery load capacity tester.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by omega2128(m): 9:59am On Feb 03, 2018
stano2:

check if the battery gridlock ( battery guide) is still intact because battery loses its potency to excessive shake and, protect it from excessive heat as well. that's why some modern cars have their batteries at backseat or inside the trunk
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by gbadebosalewa: 11:10am On Feb 03, 2018
Noted. �

[url]mecofinder.com/mytrustedmeco[/url]
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by stano2(m): 11:44am On Feb 03, 2018
pflourish:

It could be as a result of electrical glitches such as; grounding fault, fuse draining, faulty alternator diode and so on.
Your mechanic/rewire will need to carry out battery draining current test.
In some rare cases, it could be manufacturer error, also when the battery capacity you keep buying is below the car specification in terms of Ampere-hour.
what's the vehicle model?
Thanks... Audi
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by babatee1985(m): 12:14pm On Feb 03, 2018
MrMakaveli20:

That's not good at all. A new battery should last minimum of two years. She should get a good Electrician and have it checked.
Good electrician or good rewire?
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 03, 2018
stano2:
Thanks... Audi

You can watch this video to get a better idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFThdbDYL-c
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by mymotong: 4:09pm On Feb 03, 2018
Cars need a ton of maintenance to keep running smoothly. The easiest thing anyone can do is check the fluids to ensure your car stays healthy. With that in mind, here are the five fluids you should check on a regular basis.

A large chunk of your car’s maintenance is preventative and regardless of your skill level pretty much anyone who can lift a hood can check the fluids. Doing so on a regular basis keeps your car running well and your repair costs down. Knowing the basics also empowers you so that when you’re getting any maintenance on your car you’re not swindled into flushing and replacing a bunch of fluids that don’t need it.

All you need to know is where to look and what to look for. We’re often told to “check your fluids often,” but let’s take a look at what “often” actually means. Keep in mind that every car’s a little different, but the below dates should apply pretty universally.

Engine Oil
Chances are, the first thing you ever learned about on your first car was how to check your oil. You have to do this in every car and pretty much every car has the same basic process to check it.

In most cars, you just need to pop up your hood, find the oil dipstick, pull it out, and wipe it down. Repeat that again and you’ll have your oil level. If it’s in the safe level, continue on your merry way. If it’s not, you need to add more. Depending on the age of the car, you may or may not need to add oil pretty often. If your car burns through a lot of oil, it’s worth going to a mechanic....

https://mymoto.com.ng/five-fluids-you-should-check-to-keep-your-car-running-smoothly/
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by stano2(m): 4:25pm On Feb 03, 2018
pflourish:

You can watch this video to get a better idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFThdbDYL-c
Thanks
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by soonest(f): 4:35pm On Feb 03, 2018
MrMakaveli20:

You don't have to change it as long as its still good and not malfunctioning. You are very lucky you know. Even when it starts showing signs of been bad, you can always give it to your Electrician to charge and it will still serve another couple of months.

I have been using my current battery since oct 2011. I'm even scared of the battery. It's a wonder to me, it's a saving grace to my neighbours and collegues that need to jump start their cars. I dont even know the name but it's a korean battery.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by MrMakaveli20(m): 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2018
soonest:

I have been using my current battery since oct 2011. I'm even scared of the battery. It's a wonder to me, it's a saving grace to my neighbours and collegues that need to jump start their cars. I dont even know the name but it's a korean battery.
those batteries are rare to find now. enjoy your moment bro.
Re: 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. by nonix22(m): 8:05pm On Feb 05, 2018
stano2:

Let her fix or buy new alternator

(1) (Reply)

DIY: How To Temporarily Fix Transmission Shift Cable Fault In Your Car / How Do You Hold And Use Your Gear Selector? (photos) / 2008 Camry Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.