Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,613 members, 7,823,667 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Best State To Live In America ? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Best State To Live In America ? (7348 Views)

There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! / 91 Heads Of State To Attend Mandela's Memorial Service / Racism In America Is The Nightmare Of The American Dream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best State To Live In America ? by jookco(m): 1:02am On Apr 19, 2010
I currently live in Los Angeles Ca, and work as a CNA , the cost of living here is killing me, I mean one bedroom apartment and its Bill can range from 900 to -1200 USD,I have been reading much about Houston Texas from Citydata and just confirmed that Houston is very cheap though the jobs there don't pay like jobs in CA but I don't mind the difference is not that much, the only thing that worry me is the Weather in Houston which is said to be very Hot, not withstanding I was told that most Nigerians in the US live in Houston therefore I decide to ask my brothers and sisters that know better than I do to tell me the different between this two cities and why you will live in any of them, and let me know any other city in the states where one can confortably live with low cost of living.
Thanks you all inh Advance and God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by Kobojunkie: 1:22am On Apr 19, 2010
I am not certain how you are with roommates, but I think it will be a mistake to move to a place simply because more Nigerians live there unless you also feel they probably live as you do. Isn't it possible to move a little outside the city where in most cases, the cost of living is a bit lower? You could move to the surburbs or something.

Another option is to get a roommate. I remember having roommates over the years and that helped a great deal with rent, and some were real good company.
Re: Best State To Live In America ? by spoilt(f): 1:25am On Apr 19, 2010
Living with Nigerians (even relatives shocked) doesnt always turn out well. grin
The states that offer cheaper rents generally have a lower pay for salaries. You have to weigh the trade off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by loma(m): 2:29am On Apr 19, 2010
Cost of living is better in Houston.  Also my candid advice, CNA is just for you to get your footing,it is not a job you do for years or raise  family upon. You need to focus on education once you have your footing (within 6months-12 months is what I advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by PapaBrowne(m): 2:42am On Apr 19, 2010
If as you stated, weather is a factor in your considerations, then there is no reason why you should want to leave LA.
Asides, the rental difference isn't much. The average rent for a one bedroom in Houston is somewhere in the region of $750.

If you ask me, I'd say Hamptons Roads is my best. Its a metro area in Virginia. Worked around there some years back. Cheap. Lovely weather. Close to Maryland where you've got loads of Nigerians and lots of Jobs back then. Dunno about now. You might want 2 check it up.

1 Like

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by EzeUche(m): 2:54am On Apr 19, 2010
Maryland is a wonderful place for Nigerians to live. Especially in the DC area. And if you feel a little brave, maybe you could venture up to Baltimore where the housing is cheaper, but it has a high crime rate.

Anyway there are plenty of jobs in the Washington DC area. Move to Montgomery County where is safe, but has high housing prices or PG County where land is cheap, but the akatas from DC are moving there in droves.

1 Like

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by Dede1(m): 3:30am On Apr 19, 2010
EzeUche:

Maryland is a wonderful place for Nigerians to live. Especially in the DC area. And if you feel a little brave, maybe you could venture up to Baltimore where the housing is cheaper, but it has a high crime rate.

Anyway there are plenty of jobs in the Washington DC area. Move to Montgomery County where is safe, but has high housing prices or PG County where land is cheap, but the akatas from DC are moving there in droves.

There is always trade-off with every human endeavor on earth. Hampton Roads within the vicinity of Norfolk, VA is not bad but it looks more like a backwater than metropolis. The characterization you gave to Prince George’s County is not fair. I would like to know where land is cheap in PG.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by courage89(m): 3:35am On Apr 19, 2010
Responding to your main question, best state to live within US (not America) - that i'm not sure. This is because that will depend on a lot of yardsticks. I currently live in H-Town and I can comment on the weather, cost of living, social atmosphere, health care

Houston during the summer time is very hot and humid. I also think California during the summer time is hotter than Houston. During the winter, Houston weather happens to be one of the best within US. It hardly snow in Houston, and you're not going to hear about volcano eruption of any sorts as well. However, our worst nightmare happens to be those hurricanes that happen around Gulf Coast area every year. I hope Katrina, Ike, Rita refresh your memory.  

Cost of living is lower in comparison to some states including California, New York, Maryland, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, pennsylvania, Virginia. On the other hand, Houston cost of living is higher than some other states including Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas. Cost of good one bedroom apartment complex in Houston can range between $400 - 2500 depending on the area and your taste. Minimum wage in Houston is also $7.25/hr

Social atmosphere is also splendid and accommodating considering vast amount of Nigerians and other diverse people that lives within the city, different thriving industry, beautiful clubs, pubs, lounges and malls.

Houston happens to have one of the best health care systems within the nation and the world. Memorial Hermann Hospital, M.D Henderson, Methodist Hospital, St Luke’s, can attest to the stats. Also, the city has one of the highest levels of nursing homes within the country. Therefore, there is high demand for healthcare practitioner including nursing assistants.

I’ve lived in Houston for the past 10 years and I’ve enjoyed every bit of my life here. I think if you move here, your problem of high cost of living will be solved.  If you plan to go back to school, the school will also be cheaper compare to California and you can do that with less burden.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by jookco(m): 2:17pm On May 18, 2013
I resurrect this topic to get more info, please share your experience.
Re: Best State To Live In America ? by tpia5: 2:47pm On May 18, 2013
^ so, update your experience.

Did you eventually move or not.
Re: Best State To Live In America ? by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 18, 2013
jookco: I resurrect this topic to get more info, please share your experience.

Move to North Carolina. Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte and many cities in North Carolina are fantastic. Schools, shopping centers, parks, becahes, sport teams are here. Great Universities are also here. I have lives in three other states ( Oklahoma, New Jersey, Texas) and this is the best so far. I have also been to 19 states in the U.S so i know what I am talking about. I will never leave. I have brought many friends to North Carolina. The moment friends visit me in North Carolina, they have no choice but to move here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by solomon111(m): 2:57pm On May 18, 2013
Compared to many parts of the world,america is one big cesspit.
Re: Best State To Live In America ? by panafrican(m): 6:59pm On May 18, 2013
You also need a quiet place with a tropical climate
Check somewhere in the Glades County Florida or nothern Florida, just south of Georgia.
Avoid Detroit Michigan and Chicago Illinois.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best State To Live In America ? by jookco(m): 11:53am On May 25, 2013
payless:

Thanks payless, I moved to Texas but can't stand the hot and humid weather in Houston then I moved to New York, I love New York but its damn too expensive, I have seen some guys who moved from Raleigh NC to New York City because they said jobs dont pay good in NC, well lets get more opinion, its a nice topic.

Move to North Carolina. Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte and many cities in North Carolina are fantastic. Schools, shopping centers, parks, becahes, sport teams are here. Great Universities are also here. I have lives in three other states ( Oklahoma, New Jersey, Texas) and this is the best so far. I have also been to 19 states in the U.S so i know what I am talking about. I will never leave. I have brought many friends to North Carolina. The moment friends visit me in North Carolina, they have no choice but to move here.

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Israel 's F-35 Disgraced By Soviet S-200 In Syria / Exposed: Why Israel Is Hated By Arabs & Their Apologists / Kenyan Mother Names New-Born Twins Barack & Mitt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.