Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un (7431 Views)

Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? / Un Security Council Votes For No Fly Zone And Establishment Of Safe Zones In Lib / Libya No Fly Zone Cannot Be Us-led Says Clinton (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 17, 2011
the united nations just passed a no fly-Zone resolution on libya

lets see how the invading and capture of col. gaddaffi will look like
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 17, 2011
its been transmitted live on aljazeera and bbc
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Mar 17, 2011
Finally!!! I have to say, the UN has sort of been slow on this one.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 17, 2011
what does a no flight zone entail.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^^ it forbids the use of flight as such flight will be brought down i.e, air crafts are not permitted to fly around that territory (demilitarization)
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2011
Libya welcome to the world of Iraq and Afghanistan! Benghazi is rejoicing but I think there is nothing to rejoice about.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by wesley80(m): 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2011
@OP,
I think its actually called a No-Fly zone.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by violent(m): 11:58pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^
No one is out here to debate the usage of English terms.  "A no flight zone" apparently means the same as  "A no fly zone".

The UN has been sort of slow on this, I am betting my penny that France would be pushing for more direct military attacks on Libya airforce, and runways.

Ghadaffi's life will never remain the same again!

Let the F-22s take to the sky, those birds are capable of doing the impossible, i tell ya!
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 18, 2011
^ corrected,thanks
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:01am On Mar 18, 2011
A No- fly Zone is toothless and would not stop a massacre if gaddaffi so desires, the jury is still out on this Libya issue, IMO they should sort themselves out.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by violent(m): 12:07am On Mar 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

A No- fly Zone is toothless and would not stop a massacre if gaddaffi so desires, the jury is still out on this Libya issue, IMO they should sort themselves out.

You don't get it!

The contents of the Resolution authorizes "all necessary measures short of an occupation force" to protect the lives of civilians.

Jets could take off from French military bases along the Mediterranean coast, about 750 miles from Libya and Several Arab countries would join the operation. All these could happen within the hour!

Not to mention that US already has 5 war ships stationed off the coast of Libya, Ghaddafi's airforce and possible ground troops are owned!
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by MT: 12:11am On Mar 18, 2011
A no-fly zone over Libya is a welcome development. However, the effectiveness and the co-ordination of the implementation will go a long way. The french promise to be heading to Libya in a matter of hours and the UK promise to be in Libya early Friday. The whole scenario is shaping up nicely.

Ghaddafi has changed his tactics as well. He only wants his troops to encircle Benghazi. He even welcomes UN to supervise the disarmament of the rebels.

My take is Ghaddafi can never be trusted!. I hope the UN will implement the use of force against Ghadafi military as well as the no-fly zone to the letter. The world is watching
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:15am On Mar 18, 2011
violent:

You don't get it!

The contents of the Resolution authorizes "all necessary measures short of an occupation force" to protect the lives of civilians.

Jets could take off from French military bases along the Mediterranean coast, about 750 miles from Libya and Several Arab countries would join the operation.  All these could happen within the hour!

Not to mention that US already has 5 war ships stationed off the coast of Libya, Ghaddafi's airforce and possible ground troops are owned!
Calm down brother military warfare is not one plus one and biscuits. This is very unfair to the libyan people, there are better ways to squeeze  this man out other than this rubbish. Interference has never and would never solve the crisis, I wonder how people can look at Afghanistan and Iraq and think this will work. Loads of lives would be lost, the minute the west intervenes with military force the uprising loses its legitimacy. It would now be a defense against the west and this would surely whip up arab sentiment.

This is how people were cheering when the first missiles hit iraq now how many years later where is the country? If you remove this man who will take over? In a country where they do no know anything about democracy?
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Mar 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

Calm down brother military warfare is not one plus one and biscuits. This is very unfair to the libyan people, there are better ways to squeeze  this man out other than this rubbish. Interference has never and would never solve the crisis, I wonder how people can look at Afghanistan and Iraq and think this will work. [b]Loads of lives would be lost, the minute the west intervenes with military force the uprising loses its legitimacy. [/b]It would now be a defense against the west and this would surely whip up arab sentiment.

This is how people were cheering when the first missiles hit iraq now how many years later where is the country? If you remove this man who will take over? In a country where they do no know anything about democracy?

This sort of reveals you have not been following what has been taken place over the last month or so. THousands are suspected dead . . ,  at the hands of Ghaddafi forces. Bengazzi is next on Ghaddafi's list and he does not seem to be holding back much. Are you saying the UN should instead let the people be fried until they, the mostly unarmed people, sort themselves out? I mean what about the loads of lives already lost and being lost
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by naijaking1: 12:25am On Mar 18, 2011
Thank God for the UN resolution, now Gaddafi has more than poorly armed rebels to deal with.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:29am On Mar 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This sort of reveals you have not been following what has been taken place over the last month or so. THousands are suspected dead . . , at the hands of Ghaddafi forces. Bengazzi is next on Ghaddafi's list and he does not seem to be holding back much. Are you saying the UN should instead let the people be fried until they, the mostly unarmed people, sort themselves out? I mean what about the loads of lives already lost and being lost
My dear,
There are many reasons why the no fly zone took this long to enforce, when you deal with the arab world you have to be very careful not to whip up the zionist sentiment. It is the reason why the US has been on the back burner they have learned from afghanistan and iraq that force does not always solve the issue. Look there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and one cannot help but feel that libya's oil is what is driving this decision. When there was a media black out there was plenty of lies that they were bombardments of civilians, the government lifted the ban and invited foreign media, look they bombed weapons caches which is what the american government would do. Was there any footage whatsoever of ghadaffi bombing his people?

What do you think this no fly zone would achieve? He has done what any leader would do if people are armed you have to fight to disarm them or the country would descend into another somalia. Ghadaffi's loyalists would not disappear when he dies, the West and arab league created this problem, they have given him no other option than fight to death.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by violent(m): 12:32am On Mar 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

Calm down brother military warfare is not one plus one and biscuits. This is very unfair to the libyan people, there are better ways to squeeze  this man out other than this rubbish. Interference has never and would never solve the crisis, I wonder how people can look at Afghanistan and Iraq and think this will work. Loads of lives would be lost, the minute the west intervenes with military force the uprising loses its legitimacy. It would now be a defense against the west and this would surely whip up arab sentiment.

Did i read somewhere that you mentioned that "This is very unfair to the Libyan people". . . .or have i had too much wine to drink?

who are the primary callers for the No Fly Zone?  The British people?

What you haven't realized is that everyone has learned a thing or two from the Iraqi war, thus the delayed response from the US in backing a UN approval  for a no flight zone, along with strong demands that Arab country's participate fully in terms of military, so as to debunk all claims of western interference.  countries like Jordan, Qatar and UAE are likely to join military forces.

Ghadaffi is killing is own people like chicken, dropping all manner of objects and explosives on em!. . .true, this could lead to a longer term unstable situation, but the only alternative on ground is to watch the tyrant kill over a hundred thousand people in Benghazi
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by RoadStar: 12:32am On Mar 18, 2011
I wonder if a no fly zone will be imposed if China engages in a similar offensive against Taiwan.
Or where were they when Pakistan descended on restive Wazaristan apparently in search of al-queda operatives.

Rubbish  angry
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Mar 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

My dear,
There are many reasons why the no fly zone took this long to enforce, when you deal with the arab world you have to be very careful not to whip up the zionist sentiment. It is the reason why the US has been on the back burner they have learned from afghanistan and iraq that force does not always solve the issue. Look there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and one cannot help but feel that libya's oil is what is driving this decision. When there was a media black out there was plenty of lies that they were bombardments of civilians, the government lifted the ban and invited foreign media, look they bombed weapons caches which is what the american government would do. Was there any footage whatsoever of ghadaffi bombing his people?

I understand why the U.S has refused to step in front of this. It is the U.N that has instituted this NO-FLY zone now, not the U.S. Let us please not confuse the two.
I get that the U.N is hesitant in this case since it has to tread lightly where Arabs are involved, however, people, all over the nation have been calling for a NO-Fly zone for weeks now. And I am glad the U.N has finally obliged them.

For you however to now PRETEND this is mainly about OIL is you not being entirely fair. For you to even attempt to suggest that Ghaddaffi was telling the truth when he invited, monitored and directed the media to exactly where he would have them be, is another sign that you have probably weaved yourself and your take already on a situation still unfolding right before our eyes.

Chrisbenogor:

What do you think this no fly zone would achieve? He has done what any leader would do if people are armed you have to fight to disarm them or the country would descend into another somalia. Ghadaffi's loyalists would not disappear when he dies, the West and arab league created this problem, they have given him no other option than fight to death.
I am sorry but I refuse at this point to engage you any further as it has become a bit clear to me where you may be going with this and I believe there are other debates more worthy of my time than this one with you. cheesy
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:55am On Mar 18, 2011
violent:

Did i read somewhere that you mentioned that "This is very unfair to the Libyan people". . . .or have i had too much wine to drink?

who are the primary callers for the No Fly Zone?  The British people?

What you haven't realized is that everyone has learned a thing or two from the Iraqi war, thus the delayed response from the US in backing a UN approval  for a no flight zone, along with strong demands that Arab country's participate fully in terms of military, so as to debunk all claims of western interference.  countries like Jordan, Qatar and UAE are likely to join military forces.

Ghadaffi is killing is own people like chicken, dropping all manner of objects and explosives on em!. . .true, this could lead to a longer term unstable situation, but the only alternative on ground is to watch the tyrant kill over a hundred thousand people in Benghazi
Yes I said this is unfair to the Libyan people, the rebels are just a small percentage of the people. I say the Libyan people because they would be the ones to bear the sectarianism and suicide bombings that would come out of this. Everyone has realised that Iraq was a huge mistake, the arab league does not even has the military might to set up and maintain a no fly zone they need the west and it is france who would be leading air strikes in hours.

Now on the news they have said they would react positively to it and would not fly any planes they ask the UN to send a fact finding mission. If you are looking for a war game go and play call of duty, real lives are at stake here.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:03am On Mar 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I understand why the U.S has refused to step in front of this. It is the U.N that has instituted this NO-FLY zone now, not the U.S. Let us please not confuse the two.
I get that the U.N is hesitant in this case since it has to tread lightly where Arabs are involved, however, people, all over the nation have been calling for a NO-Fly zone for weeks now. And I am glad the U.N has finally obliged them.

For you however to now PRETEND this is mainly about OIL is you not being entirely fair. For you to even attempt to suggest that Ghaddaffi was telling the truth when he invited, monitored and directed the media to exactly where he would have them be, is another sign that you have probably weaved yourself and your take already on a situation still unfolding right before our eyes.
I am sorry but I refuse at this point to engage you any further as it has become a bit clear to me where you may be going with this and I believe there are other debates more worthy of my time than this one with you. cheesy

I have not said this is about oil, I feel it played a major role because the west especially France wants to secure its energy needs and I can understand that, but it is still only my opinion I have not said its the absolute truth. Look at the news now, the Government has said they would react positively to the no fly zone and asked the UN for the upteenth time to send a fact finding mission to the country. Mind you India, china, Brazil Germany and one other country refused to vote.
Using his son was the best PR move he did, his son is well versed in the western way of life and immediately lifted the media balck out and started press conferences of their own. Right now there is no proof whatsoever of a massacre anywhere.
I would love you to say what you think so I can quote it and set it out here we can come back one year from now and look at what you said again.

IMO he should have been offered more concessions, just the way charles taylor was cajoled to leave liberia then you can charge him later. Slapping a travel ban on him and his family is basically telling him go to hell so he has no other option than to fight to the death. This is exciting to the neutral, but the thoughts of air raids in Nigeria gives me the Shivers.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by nduchucks: 1:20am On Mar 18, 2011
The UN resolution is unprecedented in that it not only unanimously approves a "No Fly Zone" but the use of any force necessary to make the resolution effective. We should now expect millitary strikes and destruction of Gaddafi's defence systems, the bombing of several or all of his palaces because they contain anti aircraft machineries, and the bombing of a "few" of his heavy armory.

Gaddafi is a goner at this point. In the maintime, I hear that Nigeria, as the leader of AU and the proclaimed giant of Africa, is implicitly offering UN and/or Africom, logistical support by providing useful staging ground somewhere in the ND area as a show of love and support. I hope what I heard from the grapevines is inaccurate, if not, Beaf, MEND and their cohorts will be s.hitting in their pants as we speak. cheesy
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by violent(m): 1:23am On Mar 18, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

Yes I said this is unfair to the Libyan people, the rebels are just a small percentage of the people. I say the Libyan people because they would be the ones to bear the sectarianism and suicide bombings that would come out of this. Everyone has realised that Iraq was a huge mistake, the arab league does not even has the military might to set up and maintain a no fly zone they need the west and it is france who would be leading air strikes in hours.

Now on the news they have said they would react positively to it and would not fly any planes they ask the UN to send a fact finding mission. If you are looking for a war game go and play call of duty, real lives are at stake here.

The question is not whether or not the Arab leaque has the military might to set up a no fly zone, the concerns that should be addressed is why the Arab league has done so. . .except of course you would like to believe that the Arab league is colluding with the West to steal Libya's oil.

It's so sad that you have chosen to ignore the immediate impact of the absence of a no fly zone over Libya.  without this resolution, Benghazi would be a blood bath in 48 hours, and yes, this is no call of duty, real lives are at stake, real Libayn lives who need to be protected from the might of their own military.  Thousands are dead already, would you prefer that the rest of the world keeps quite and potentially do nothing while thousands more might be killed by this same time tomorrow?  or are you just pretending not to have heard Ghadaffi vowed to show no mercy to all oppositions in Bengahzi?

Are you saying in the name of avoiding another IRAQ situation, it is permissible for a few more thousand Libyans to die in the hands of Qaddafi?

The resolution is simple, "If you drop bombs on civilians, we will shoot your planes down". . . why should that be wrong?
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by violent(m): 1:29am On Mar 18, 2011
Mind you India, china, Brazil Germany and one other country refused to vote.

China and Russia both have veto powers, all it would have required was a single vote against the resolution from either of them for the resolution to be confined to the bins. . .but they didn't

It's just a very diplomatic way of saying "we support it in style, but refuse to share the blame, if it all turns sour"
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by mamagee3(f): 1:31am On Mar 18, 2011
It's high time that dimwitt is ousted out of office. . .

Now, I wait for France, U.S. and the U.K. to launch airstrikes.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by youngmonie: 1:39am On Mar 18, 2011
To me i feel it should be left in the hands of libyans to fight their way to freedom!!, No freedom without blood. I have still failed to understand why the WEST must put their nose in everysingle thing that goes on around the world. Especially this f&^king BRITISH people.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by CyberG: 2:05am On Mar 18, 2011
Some commentators are must be insane! How can you say people who are outgunned in every way including military rockets, artillery, tanks and warplanes defend themselves from marauding bombers? Have you been dead for so long that you have no idea what is going on?
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:20am On Mar 18, 2011
Its about time. already Egypt has opened its borders and sending arms to the rebels in benghazi. i would like to see those US F-22 raptors in action. Benghazi is the last strong hold of the rebels. if they lose it ghadaffi has taken over Libya. Already ghadaffi's son Saif al-Islam has told sarkozy to refund the money his father ghadaffi gave him for his election and that they have documents and transfers as proof which they will reveal to the world in due time.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:39am On Mar 18, 2011
violent:

The question is not whether or not the Arab leaque has the military might to set up a no fly zone, the concerns that should be addressed is why the Arab league has done so. . .except of course you would like to believe that the Arab league is colluding with the West to steal Libya's oil.

It's so sad that you have chosen to ignore the immediate impact of the absence of a no fly zone over Libya.  without this resolution, Benghazi would be a blood bath in 48 hours, and yes, this is no call of duty, real lives are at stake, real Libayn lives who need to be protected from the might of their own military.  Thousands are dead already, would you prefer that the rest of the world keeps quite and potentially do nothing while thousands more might be killed by this same time tomorrow?  or are you just pretending not to have heard Ghadaffi vowed to show no mercy to all oppositions in Bengahzi?

Are you saying in the name of avoiding another IRAQ situation, it is permissible for a few more thousand Libyans to die in the hands of Qaddafi?

The resolution is simple, "If you drop bombs on civilians, we will shoot your planes down". . . why should that be wrong?

You and I both know the resolution goes farther than that, but not withstanding No fly zones did nothing for srebrenica and kosovo. IMO gadaffi forces have shown restraint, they have been bogged down in Ajdabiya because the rebels have moved into homes and they are not willing to spill blood like that.

Gadaffi is a madman I would be the first to admit, he is old and does not really want to go down this way, offer him concessions. Offer him asylum something that would make him want to leave. If you were this man you would fight to the death, you really have no option.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by tony451: 2:55am On Mar 18, 2011
youngmonie:

To me i feel it should be left in the hands of libyans to fight their way to freedom!!, No freedom without blood. I have still failed to understand why the WEST must put their nose in everysingle thing that goes on around the world. Especially this f&^king BRITISH people.

Chrisbenogor:

Sirs, the positions you take are madenning to those like me who would rather help our fellow human beings rather than consign them to horrible deaths at the hands of a madman. Just this morning Ghaddafi announced that there would be no mercy for the people of Benghazi. What does this mean? It means that they will wipe out every one of those freedom loving people in the next day or so, so that he and his sons can continue their kleptocratic, brutal and oppressive rule of Libya.

I for one think this intervention should have come way earlier when the mercenaries and airforce started bombing and killing indiscriminately. If for instance during the Abacha years all of a sudden people decided they can't take it anymore and started demonstrating and Abacha started poundinf them with bombs? Tell me you wouldn't have welcomed foreign intervention to save our lives notwithstanding the fact that some people still supported Abacha and were ready to make him civilian president for life? Bear in mind that at the beginning of all this Ghaddafi said he would rather die than leave Tripoli!!

You do all of us NairaLanders a disservice by comparing Libya to Iraq. In fact you really are insulting the senses of everyone. Iraq was attacked on a false pretext when all that was wrong was that Saddam was a dictator. The real reason for the attack can be argued between oil, the fact that Bush wanted to complete his dad's job, or the fact that Cheney is just an evil evil man who saw an opportunity to get rid of Saddam and took it. Libya however is the direct fallout of the revolution sweeping North Africa and the Middle East were  people are genuinely asking for their right to rule themselves. In Tunisia and Egpyt they were met with negotiations. Gaddafi has instead turned it all into war by bombing the hell out of protesters. In that case no amount of non-violence will make a positive difference, the government still wants to wipe them out. It's left to the international commmunity to help.
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by Nobody: 3:20am On Mar 18, 2011
One of our biggest weakness is that we often forget too easily,  and hardly learn from the past. I have read most of the comments here, and if one replace the word Libya for Iraq and Ghaddafi for Saddam, what we have is  a deja vu ( Libya Iraq war) all over again. Looking back many years from now,  those supporting this foreign invasion - starting as a No Fly Kini ko - would be eating their words. Libya is one of the most armed countries on our continent and is in a preliminary state of civil war - like Saddam forces were with the Kurds/Shias - and the foreign powers , like vultures waiting to feed on a carcass , are about to invade it for its Oil,,,oh, let me see, you guys think this is really about promoting democracy and human rights, abi?  (sigh)well, dream on.

When that country explodes further and all is let loose , there's no predicting how many people or countries would be affected in our already chaotic continent. And btw,  one of the poorest countries on the continent stands between Libya and Nigeria, all you keyboard warriors should get that into your heads,,, Fly wey no hear word, naim dey follow dead body enter grave oo.  Me I don talk my own finish!
Re: Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un by LoveKing(m): 3:48am On Mar 18, 2011
Regard or disregard this. The Outcome of this 'no fly zone' in the next couple of days will trigger a disastrous effect, WWIII. You'all be ready, seems every country wants to flex powers just like 1914. Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Tweet From Donald Trump Is The Joke Of The Internet Now / Gaddafi's Son Captured. / Top Ten Most Dangerous Terrorist Group In The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.