Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,359 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Mechanical Engineers Forum - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mechanical Engineers Forum (27973 Views)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! / AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by oyeludef(m): 5:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
hw much is it
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Tiimmy(m): 7:05am On Oct 03, 2014
Awesome group.

BSc. Mechanical Engineering (UNILAG), currently working as a Mechanical (Static & Rotating) & Piping Engineer.

Also involved in career development for recent Engineering graduates.

http://timmsvillee..com/2014/08/available-courses-who-should-attend.html
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Capableben(m): 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
stonero:
I'm a graduate of F.U.T Minna, Studied Mech. Eng & concluded my youth service Feb 2010.
hello sir pls can we talk personally?? like through fb or whatsapp... its totally about this career....
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by taiwoowiat: 3:26pm On Oct 04, 2014
welcome back cool
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2014
homerac7:
i studied mech eng'g in university in nigeria. now practice in mfg sector as maintenance engineer. also studying for masters in mech.
Sir, I would like to study this course (Bsc) but I'm not that good in chemistry. Am I good to go?
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 07, 2014
Onyeara:
Hi
Fellow machine members, can we please share our career experince here .
Mine, first degree mech eng, masters mech eng. P hd mech eng. energy options. Lectuter in themal power, university of Alberta
I really love this course but I'm not good in chemistry. Am I good to go?
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by homerac7: 11:50am On Oct 07, 2014
SmellMyFart:
Sir, I would like to study this course (Bsc) but I'm not that good in chemistry. Am I good to go?

Bro, polish up your chemistry and join us soonest. You can't run away from Chemistry in this profession. If not earlier, it will be later when your chemistry Achille's heel might catch up with you. Eng'g na ashewo course because it will in course of time take you round all sort of other disciplines, including Law and Mgt Sciences.

Good luck
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
homerac7:

Bro, polish up your chemistry and join us soonest. You can't run away from Chemistry in this profession. If not earlier, it will be later when your chemistry Achille's heel might catch up with you. Eng'g na ashewo course because it will in course of time take you round all sort of other disciplines, including Law and Mgt Sciences.

Good luck
thanks for this. smiley.

Please what are the challenging areas of this course? I hear some people say calculus is the hardest.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by homerac7: 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
SmellMyFart:
thanks for this. smiley.
Please what are the challenging areas of this course? I hear some people say calculus is the hardest.

The only major challenge in studying engineering is learning to get your lazy a.rse down early enough in the semester and start studying properly ahead. If you can do that, all other issues can be taken care of.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
homerac7:

The only major challenge in studying engineering is learning to get your lazy a.rse down early enough in the semester and start studying properly ahead. If you can do that, all other issues can be taken care of.
alright. Will have that in mind. Thanks a lot smiley
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 13, 2014
Femicrux:
Hi guys,

I just recently concluded my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I would like counsel from experienced professionals in the house about possible professional courses one could do to enhance one's value, asides from the regular AutoCAD and Project Management courses. Thanks
how long does it take to study this course in undergraduate level? Please reply asap
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 13, 2014
Kennyinusa:
Hello fellow nairalanders, I'm Olusola a 400 level student studying mechanical engineering. I appreciate everyone who has contributed to helping upcoming mechanical engineers. I'm considering pursuing a career in either "design and fabrication" or oil and gas, that's where I need your help, I need your opinions and views concerning the two options. I'm a member of so many proffesional institutions and bodies ( NSE, IAENG, IIW, NIW e.t.c). I want your opinions on what and what I should do and which certification I should get to make it BIG in the two fields.
please how long does it take to study this course in undergraduate level?
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Femicrux: 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
SmellMyFart:
how long does it take to study this course in undergraduate level? Please reply asap

A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering requires 5 years of study.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
Femicrux:

A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering requires 5 years of study.
thanks for the reply
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Reticular: 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
Tiimmy:
Awesome group.

BSc. Mechanical Engineering (UNILAG), currently working as a Mechanical (Static & Rotating) & Piping Engineer.

Also involved in career development for recent Engineering graduates.

http://timmsvillee..com/2014/08/available-courses-who-should-attend.html

Nice to read from a fellow piping engineer. This is an area that is not well pronounced among upcoming engineers. I blame this partly on the inadequate information on this field right from undergraduate study. It is interesting to know that one get good grasp of design when involved in piping engineering or pressure vessel task.

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Greatken007(m): 6:30am On Dec 03, 2014
TO KEEP THE BRAIN WORKING PERFECTLY WE MUST BE INTERESTED IN WRITING ARTICLES FOR JOURNAL PUBLICATION, WE CAN COME UP WITH A TOPIC OF INTEREST AND WORK ON IT....WE CAN WORK ON DESIGN OF HEAT EXCHANGER, EFFECT OF TEMPERATURE ON WELDED JOINT,EFFECT OF PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON PRODUCTION LINE, ACCIDENT PREVENTION IN A COAL MINE, MANY OTHERS,....STARTING SOMETHING NEW IS PAINFUL, BUT THE REGRET OF NEVER HAVING STARTED IS A LOT MORE PAINFUL(3 TO 4 PERSONS CAN TEAM UP AND WRITE AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION TO REDUCE COST, I CONFESS IT PAYS TO TRADE IN THAT LINE)

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Tiimmy(m): 7:11am On Dec 03, 2014
Reticular:

Nice to read from a fellow piping engineer. This is an area that is not well pronounced among upcoming engineers. I blame this partly on the inadequate information on this field right from undergraduate study. It is interesting to know that one get good grasp of design when involved in piping engineering or pressure vessel task.

I still don't understand why this field is still largely vague to undergrads....
Nice to know a fellow Engineer is here too....
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 03, 2014
Greatken007:
TO KEEP THE BRAIN WORKING PERFECTLY WE MUST BE INTERESTED IN WRITING ARTICLES FOR JOURNAL PUBLICATION, WE CAN COME UP WITH A TOPIC OF INTEREST AND WORK ON IT....WE CAN WORK ON DESIGN OF HEAT EXCHANGER, EFFECT OF TEMPERATURE ON WELDED JOINT,EFFECT OF PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON PRODUCTION LINE, ACCIDENT PREVENTION IN A COAL MINE, MANY OTHERS,....STARTING SOMETHING NEW IS PAINFUL, BUT THE REGRET OF NEVER HAVING STARTED IS A LOT MORE PAINFUL(3 TO 4 PERSONS CAN TEAM UP AND WRITE AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION TO REDUCE COST, I CONFESS IT PAYS TO TRADE IN THAT LINE)
Reticular:

Greatken007:
Reticular:

good day sirs, I'm interested in knowing what it takes to be a pipeline engineer and what areas to develop myself given the rare opportunities available and d barrier of "min. 2yrs exp."?
I know AutoCAD and inventor (tho still need to brushup.)
anticipating ur replies.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Ehimenboy(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
Tiimmy:

I still don't understand why this field is still largely vague to undergrads....
Hello. I'd like to know if a person without a first degree in Engineering (but probably with a Master's) can be registered as an Engineer with COREN.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2014
Tiimmy:

good day sir, I'm interested in
knowing what it takes to be a pipeline
engineer and what areas to develop
myself given the rare opportunities
available and d barrier of "min. 2yrs
exp."?
I know AutoCAD and inventor (tho
still need to brushup.)
anticipating ur replies.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Tiimmy(m): 7:11am On Dec 04, 2014
Ehimenboy:

Hello. I'd like to know if a person without a first degree in Engineering (but probably with a Master's) can be registered as an Engineer with COREN.
Thanks in advance.

First off, I don't see how a person without a 1st degree in an Engineering related course, will be admitted (in any institution world wide) for a Masters degree program in Engineering.

That being said, COREN is no more singled out (as it was some years ago). Now you have to be a member of Nigerian Society of Engineers for a period before proceeding with COREN. NSE however is a function of your 1st degree in an Engineering Field. So, I really don't see how you can be COREN registered without a 1st degree in Engineering..

This is just my humble opinion; try and do more research.

http://timmsvillee..com/
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Tiimmy(m): 7:47am On Dec 04, 2014
shyna01:

good day sir, I'm interested in
knowing what it takes to be a pipeline
engineer and what areas to develop
myself given the rare opportunities
available and d barrier of "min. 2yrs
exp."?
I know AutoCAD and inventor (tho
still need to brushup.)
anticipating ur replies.

Bro,

An Engineer role is very much different from a "Designer" role. Hence your proficiency in any CAD package doesn't necessarily qualify you for an "Engineer" position. There is a whole lot of analysis, design calculations, use of industrial codes & standards and lots more, for an Engineer compared with the high dependence on CAD softwares for a "Designer".

Engineers also use software packages, but its mostly for Engineering analysis and not modelling.

This means that a Pipeline Engineer is very much different from a pipeline designer.

Secondly there is lot of difference in job description and responsibility matrix between a Pipeline Engineer and a Piping Engineer.
Do some research about these two fields and you should be fine.

To answer your question, for an Engineer role, a lot is dependent on Experience and not proficiency in CAD packages. So you'll need to start from the scratch i.e an intern or trainee engineer position. No short course, BSc. ,MSc. or PHD will better prepare you for an Engineer position than an intern or trainee position.

However, your proficiency in CAD packages (with or without experience) qualifies your for a CAD designer position in most companies.

I hope you find my opinions very useful.

Cheers.

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Ehimenboy(m): 12:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
Tiimmy:

First off, I don't see how a person without a 1st degree in an Engineering related course, will be admitted (in any institution world wide) for a Masters degree program in Engineering.

That being said, COREN is no more singled out (as it was some years ago). Now you have to be a member of Nigerian Society of Engineers for a period before proceeding with COREN. NSE however is a function of your 1st degree in an Engineering Field. So, I really don't see how you can be COREN registered without a 1st degree in Engineering..
This is just my humble opinion; try and do more research.

Thank you.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2014
Tiimmy:

Bro,

An Engineer role is very much different from a "Designer" role. Hence your proficiency in any CAD package doesn't necessarily qualify you for an "Engineer" position. There is a whole lot of analysis, design calculations, use of industrial codes & standards and lots more, for an Engineer compared with the high dependence on CAD softwares for a "Designer".

Engineers also use software packages, but its mostly for Engineering analysis and not modelling.

This means that a Pipeline Engineer is very much different from a pipeline designer.

Secondly there is lot of difference in job description and responsibility matrix between a Pipeline Engineer and a Piping Engineer.
Do some research about these two fields and you should be fine.

To answer your question, for an Engineer role, a lot is dependent on Experience and not proficiency in CAD packages. So you'll need to start from the scratch i.e an intern or trainee engineer position. No short course, BSc. ,MSc. or PHD will better prepare you for an Engineer position than an intern or trainee position.

However, your proficiency in CAD packages (with or without experience) qualifies your for a CAD designer position in most companies.

I hope you find my opinions very useful.

Cheers.

thanks very much for the clarifications made. if I where to go for masters degree, which area(s) would u advice me to specialize in as most universities just do production, manufacturing, materials, corrosion amongst others?
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by olujastro: 3:18pm On Dec 06, 2014
A mech engr. Graduated Dec, 2011. Fell in love with Power plant eng during my undergraduate days, but found myself in d oil n gas sector as an Offshore assets engr (where job hunting first paid off).
If God wills, may further in thermal power.
I advice undergrad beginners to tk all preliminary engineering courses in year 2 (thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, strength of materials, engineering mechanics, etc) most seriously as they give u a major background n head start for years 3,4 n 5.
With a rudimentary understanding of it, eng thermodynamics is pretty easy, though most feared.

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by keftin: 11:28pm On Dec 07, 2014
Alright good idea o concure
Greatken007:
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by Tiimmy(m): 7:23am On Dec 08, 2014
shyna01:

thanks very much for the clarifications made. if I where to go for masters degree, which area(s) would u advice me to specialize in as most universities just do production, manufacturing, materials, corrosion amongst others?

That most universities offer courses in Production, Manufacturing & Corrosion is just not true. Except you are strictly referring to Nigerian Universities (and they offer more courses than you listed). My advice for you or anyone with regards a favorable choice for MSc. would be to first of all know your interest as well as where your strength lies (especially for people without any working experience). Those with reasonable working experience can easily go for an MSc. in their working field, with little or no consideration with regards to interest or strength.

As interesting as some of these courses sounds (Subsea Engineering, Pipeline Engineering, Offshore & Ocean Tech etc) they are simply not for the faint hearted. Interest & strenghth will be needed to see these courses through.

So research more sir, and choose with respect to your interest & strength.

All the best..

Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by deewon56: 11:25pm On Dec 10, 2014
am a newly admittd student to
study mech engr in
polythecnic..my dream job is
to become automobile engr
plz i need ur advice wat
proces am i to take to achive
my dream?plz let make ds
thread lively
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by 2muchopoTBdope(m): 3:41pm On Jan 10, 2015
Pls I need help here. I just graduated with a first degree in mechanical engineering.How do I become a member of COREN??
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by iyisco2001(m): 5:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
deewon56:
am a newly admittd student to
study mech engr in
polythecnic..my dream job is
to become automobile engr
plz i need ur advice wat
proces am i to take to achive
my dream?plz let make ds
thread lively
Be serious with your first degree, visit an automobile/mechanic workshop nearby and learn there even if you have to pay. Get your IT done at autonedics or any auto training school to perfect yourself. You are good to go. Make sure you aren't deceiving yourself.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by nuelsylves(m): 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
Happy new year to all the Engineers and aspirants. I have been following this trend for a while now. Please I need help. Am a final year student of mechanical engineering @ one of the federal university of science and technology. For while now I have been gathering ideas on project topics but uptil this moment I have not been able to arrive at any topic. Please I will gladly appreciate any suggestions (that's project topics) from anyone. Am slightly above average student and believe that I can learn and work on anything no matter how hard it seems to be. I will also welcome and appreciate any advice regarding final year in mechanical engineering. Thank you all.
Re: Mechanical Engineers Forum by deewon56: 6:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
iyisco2001:

Be serious with your first degree, visit an automobile/mechanic workshop nearby and learn there even if you have to pay. Get your IT done at autonedics or any auto training school to perfect yourself. You are good to go. Make sure you aren't deceiving yourself.
Tanx alot .api new year

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amarachi Okafor, UNIZIK Student Painter Attracts Government Attention / I Have A BSc Degree And Want To Join The Army / 30 Aba Shoemakers Sent To China For Training Start Their Practical Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.