Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed (14567 Views)

Rare Images Of RRS Team Fixing A Broken Down Truck At Ojota - Photos / Young Lady Dies After Being Crushed In A Fatal Accident While Travelling. Photos / Man's SUV Bashed By A Truck At Emohua, Rivers, Comes Out Unhurt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Automotive1(m): 12:20am On Feb 12, 2018
[img]https:///a/img923/9854/z7BUcD.jpg[/img]

[img]https:///a/img922/7736/Xhbx4t.jpg[/img]

Trying to sneak around an trucks or trailers at a roundabout can put you at risk of being crushed even if the driver is doing their best to avoid it.

There is another problem with trucks that could put the driver at risk. Large proportion of trailers have steering that is not 100 per cent accurate, meaning there are alignment issues between the front and the rear wheels. 

On a motorway or straight road it doesn't cause too many problems but ,on a small roundabout it's more pronounced.

One of the biggest issues facing truck drivers is visibility of the truck’s entire surroundings. Small cars are among those most at risk and can easily get lost in blind spots due to the high-riding read position. 

This causes the biggest issues for drivers on roundabouts due to the limited space and the sheer size and weight of these trucks. 

So it is advisable for drivers not to undertake a lorry or truck at a roundabout as the body could drift into you and be potentially dangerous. 

A good rule of thumb for articulated vehicles at a roundabout is that you should always stay behind if you can and not risk trying to undertake. 

As any truck driver will tell you, they sometimes need a bit of extra space to move down the road. Visibility can be restricted, and no amount of mirrors will allow all of the blind spots to be monitored all of the time.

By applying some simple rules and sharing the road space, we can make life easier for all of us.

Source https://autojosh.com/never-overtake-truck-roundabout-risk-crushed/

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by dexterautonomy(m): 12:22am On Feb 12, 2018
nice

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by OneCorner: 6:06am On Feb 12, 2018
dexterautonomy:
nice
Wich kain bad spirit dey ur body sef
Why u come quote everything becus u won write ordinary "nice"

12 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by niqqaclaimz(m): 10:38am On Feb 12, 2018
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 12, 2018
Cool

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by EmmaLege: 10:38am On Feb 12, 2018
Oshey wink

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by guywitzerogal(m): 10:38am On Feb 12, 2018
Do u need to tell sumone that? Unless there village people wan do practical wit them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 12, 2018
DANGEROUSLY DANGEROUS!!
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 12, 2018
Not bad, beware of blindspot accidents.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by hubtiva: 10:39am On Feb 12, 2018
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 12, 2018
Hope people learn from this
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Jac007(m): 10:42am On Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for the info..I hate driving behind trucks, I think I will be more careful.
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by maxiuc(m): 10:42am On Feb 12, 2018
cheesy

All those yellowbar Abuja taxi drivers don't understand this at all
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Ghnaija(m): 10:42am On Feb 12, 2018
Ok
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by skimpie(m): 10:43am On Feb 12, 2018
Better late than never....
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by MiyettiAllah: 10:43am On Feb 12, 2018
x
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by KinzyeWriter(m): 10:43am On Feb 12, 2018
Very very true
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by lawalosky(m): 10:47am On Feb 12, 2018
ok!
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by matgold(m): 10:59am On Feb 12, 2018
Nice info

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by ogtavia(m): 11:00am On Feb 12, 2018
That's how someone I know wanted to face a trailer at a bend along Abuja - Lokoja Road while we were returning to Abuja and I objected quite vehemently and he said he could have made it..Oga sir no be me you could take dey do experiment...Paul Walker Sabi drive so tey na motor kill am...It is calculations and assumptions of this kind that lead to road accidents, I drive fast and I enjoy overtaking heavy duty vehicles but that is when the road is clear and I can see clearly as well...If it weren't for security issues on our highways..i totally support the speed limiting device...

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by ibori1(m): 11:07am On Feb 12, 2018
cool
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by ironheart(m): 11:12am On Feb 12, 2018
Very common in kaduna state

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by pozamz: 11:13am On Feb 12, 2018
EmmaLege:
Oshey wink

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Stevengerd(m): 11:23am On Feb 12, 2018
The way i avoid trucks ehn, like Joor ma kobami.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Ogbuevi(m): 11:25am On Feb 12, 2018
Many drivers are always in a hurry forgetting that slow and steady wins the race and it is better to be late than be the late. I hope we heed this timely injunction.

Check out www.listclan.com

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:31am On Feb 12, 2018
Automotive1:
[img]https:///a/img923/9854/z7BUcD.jpg[/img]

[img]https:///a/img922/7736/Xhbx4t.jpg[/img]

Trying to sneak around an trucks or trailers at a roundabout can put you at risk of being crushed even if the driver is doing their best to avoid it.

There is another problem with trucks that could put the driver at risk. Large proportion of trailers have steering that is not 100 per cent accurate, meaning there are alignment issues between the front and the rear wheels. 

On a motorway or straight road it doesn't cause too many problems but ,on a small roundabout it's more pronounced.

One of the biggest issues facing truck drivers is visibility of the truck’s entire surroundings. Small cars are among those most at risk and can easily get lost in blind spots due to the high-riding read position. 

This causes the biggest issues for drivers on roundabouts due to the limited space and the sheer size and weight of these trucks. 

So it is advisable for drivers not to undertake a lorry or truck at a roundabout as the body could drift into you and be potentially dangerous. 

A good rule of thumb for articulated vehicles at a roundabout is that you should always stay behind if you can and not risk trying to undertake. 

As any truck driver will tell you, they sometimes need a bit of extra space to move down the road. Visibility can be restricted, and no amount of mirrors will allow all of the blind spots to be monitored all of the time.

By applying some simple rules and sharing the road space, we can make life easier for all of us.

Source https://autojosh.com/never-overtake-truck-roundabout-risk-crushed/

Dem dey tell person?
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Forceup(f): 11:32am On Feb 12, 2018
Dangote trucks will crush you regardless of what you do.. If you see them, you run for cover.

angry
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by rawtouch: 11:35am On Feb 12, 2018
informative..

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by jaxxy(m): 11:36am On Feb 12, 2018
I tried to over take 3 vehicles at same time the last being a trailer then 2 other Cars behind it b4 mine. Issues was it was accending of a 2way bridge and cudnt see wat was coming from d other side so i held out patiently. It's not only in circular situations. Slopes also

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by lexy2014: 11:41am On Feb 12, 2018
ogtavia:
That's how someone I know wanted to face a trailer at a bend along Abuja - Lokoja Road while we were returning to Abuja and I objected quite vehemently and he said he could have made it..Oga sir no be me you could take dey do experiment...Paul Walker Sabi drive so tey na motor kill am...It is calculations and assumptions of this kind that lead to road accidents, I drive fast and I enjoy overtaking heavy duty vehicles but that is when the road is clear and I can see clearly as well...If it weren't for security issues on our highways..i totally support the speed limiting device...
most Nigerian drivers believe that as long as they can move a car, they are good drivers. They no little about safety and d common sense rules that govern driving. Keeping 2d rules are more important than how fast I can drive
Re: Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed by Gracesofar(m): 11:58am On Feb 12, 2018
Jac007:
Thanks for the info..I hate driving behind trucks, I think I will be more careful.

Not more than I do. I learnt the odd way as a teenager. Was navigating a hill with dangerous bend between igede nd iyin ekiti state. Didn't know dz trailer couldn't climb and the big for nothing was falling back. Thank God for my sensitive and smart brother who made a sharp turn with the steering and headed for the Bush. I was so shaking that day

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flying With Iberia Airline / How Many States Have You Visited In Nigeria? / LASG Announces Diversion Of Traffic On Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.