Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions (50630 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Floats Autonomous Financing Channel For Lagos Tertiary Schools / Kano Makes NIN Mandatory For Students In Government Schools / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 12:41pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

How are we wrong if you could explain yourself properly?
he said the law was targeted at igbos..if that is true then it will not work for igbos who have a population born and brought up in lagos and can speak and write yoruba well.

now from you perspective 'it will work' probably because you feel it will preserve yoruba language..however the problem if if you really want to do that it has to be in a primary and secondary school setting(especially primary)because it is far easier to learn a language at the stage

finally what preserves a language is if it survives modernity by its usage in technology,innovation,manufacturing and most importantly language of instruction(using it to teach things like chemistry)

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by bakynes(m): 12:42pm On Feb 12, 2018
Vcblinks:
I knew it will not pass them as for Igbo's it is clear you are not wanted in Lagos.it is a pity that this happens in a so called shithole in a country so other tribes can not apply for the state university.Yoruba's are nepotic as hell,I could recount when my friend had a business to do with them that involved with them because he was non yoruba, they cunningly swindle him.they are never happy for others.my friend was so heartbroken that people he came with a clean slate they bleeped him up because he is omo igbo,though not all of them but once they know your Igbo you know your just in for frustration.Don't know what brought about this hatred like I told my brother he should not invest in anything in Lagos and he blatantly did so I hope his reading this.Have told all this foolish Igbo's come back and stay in your land where u will be appreciated but in a quest to make it which I don't blame them venture into a land,am in my state and am leaving fine so no idiot will condition me.Is best to split d country let everyone be and stop using cunning ways to pursue people.is really a pity but some Igbo's deserve it,when they are practicing one Nigeria by investing in others people land without using their sense.its just the beginning. A word is enough for the wise.
All tribes and races are nepotic to an extent ,what do you expect when your brothers keep saying "Lagos is a no man's land" officials of the state government too use social media so they hear and see these things so they had to quickly react to the situation. Lagos remains home to all but we must preserve our heritage here before the world forgets Lagos state is indigenous to the Yoruba people and other people start laying claim to what is not theirs.

Igbos are the only ones who would want to change an age-long tradition of a people just to suit themselves, like the issue of Baba loja and Iyaoloja that has existed in Yoruba Land for centuries. We will not abandon our culture,tradition and Language because we have non Yorubas living amongst us.

We are first of all Yorubas before been Nigerians, the earlier we revert back to Regionalism or split the country the better for all us.

That is why England is separate from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but all in a bigger country called the United Kingdom all administering their own laws.

12 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 12:43pm On Feb 12, 2018
mankand:

We don't need oodua State make progressive moves. That's the difference between our leaders and your leaders

Have you seen the guys yet. Cowards hiding behind one Nigeria...
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odkosh: 12:43pm On Feb 12, 2018
[s]
texazzpete:
What a backward and retrogressive law.
If you want to 'preserve the Yoruba language', why not restrict this only to Yoruba people? Why is this not optional?

This is hostile to others, and disregards the fact that we have a national language in English to eliminate issues such as this. Essentially, this law makes it legal to go to a meeting in the Civil service and have the entire meeting conducted in yoruba language, to the exclusion of any present non-yoruba speaker.

Heck, you can even no use this law to hold lectures in LASU in 100% Yoruba.

Imagine if every tribe copies this and you then need to have a credit in Igbo language to even apply to Imsu angry

Disgraceful that there are some people here supporting this shite.

[/s]Trash, trash, trash. Go n tell that sermon to the germans, russian, spanish or italian.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odkosh: 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2018
Premiumwriter:
Another nonsense
Hang yourself.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ODVanguard: 12:46pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:

No one went to court to challenge the one u have already enacted last year. It's a useless law that needs not to be challenge it.

See your life? Upon all your huffing and puffing you no even get liver to go court to challenge the law. Smh. I feel una pain though. Lol.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 12:47pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/dailypost.ng/2017/10/20/lagos-house-assembly-passes-yoruba-language-bill-law/amp/

Another useless law enacted in Lagos n has been forgotten already, none of them will fly.

Yoruba is not a Lagos indigenous language and till today Yoruba is not the lingua franca in Lagos and will never be.

"""federalism, not disintegration"""

Federalism n disintegration is same......U should have long known this if u were in the know.

Federalism and disintegration is not the same. Stop developing high blood pressure, over something you do NOT understand. undecided In disintegration, you break up into separate countries, while in federalism, you still remain part of the same country, but with freedom to make laws that affect your people directly within your region, and also the freedom to take charge of resources found within your area, and use it directly to develop your people and its communities.

As for the law passed by Lagos, it can only be abrogated by a court judgement, or repealed, suspended or modified by another law passed by the same Lagos state house of assembly. Educate yourself and stop misyarning. And use panadol for the headache that this matter has given you.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by bakynes(m): 12:47pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Lagos is not Yoruba land.
It is presently a public Information.
E pain am go to Lagos State instutions and argue with them that you will not learn Yoruba language. Fool.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adebowale89(m): 12:47pm On Feb 12, 2018
Esseite:

"Complex inferiority"... i give up.
Moreover, i didnt rubbish you, i only put it to you on the negative of the bill passed which you should not support, and gave ample reason as to why.

Anyways adebowale, am sorry if our convo degenerated to this.. i hope am able to convince you otherwise. Have a great day.

you're speaking off point, if you're hungry to teach, goto motherless babies home for charity teaching

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by successinlife: 12:48pm On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
..start teaching chemistry,physics in yoruba then we will be talking

Rome wasn't built in a day,a journey of thousands miles starts with a step.This is why alot of countries that weren't in Nigeria level in 1970's overtook us,i knew what malaysia was before they start importing our palm karnel nuts for planting and twenty years later we are still struggling, Thailand was just about Bangkok struggling when we have LSTC buses,when we have free education in Nigeria,today Nigeria is a far cry to Thailand,why are we afraid of building ourselves?why are we afraid to try what we haven't tried?we should try another formula if the present system doesn't work.It took these developed countries alot of years to discover who they are,to discover what they want,to discover what is good for them,why can't we study our own and develop along it,why should we always be copycat?I believe in Africa as a power house(a pan african) and the earlier we believe in ourselves the better.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 12:48pm On Feb 12, 2018
ODVanguard:
See your life? Upon all your huffing and puffing you no even get liver to go court to challenge the law. Smh. I feel una pain though. Lol.
You dey mind am? He is just busy developing headache, backache and high blood pressure over such a small matter. He even lied that Yoruba is not the indigenous language in Lagos. Alright, o! I forgot that it was Japanese! cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odingo1: 12:49pm On Feb 12, 2018
Yoruba like introducing tribalism into anything in Nigeria, they first introduce tribal politics now tribal education yet they are the tribe that love one Nigeria more than any other tribe because of Niger delta oil money that they are feeding on.

Imagine what will happen in Nigeria if every state in Nigeria state to enact a law that say that every student must have a credit in any of their indigenous language in their state before a student will be allowed to study in their schools.

Federal government should call them to order or they should divide Nigeria let every region manage their resources.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:53pm On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
i learned speaking it at home not school..i learned writing it in school..so what stopped you from learning to speak at home(if that is the case) and writing at school(wasn't Yoruba taught in your primary and secondary schools)?
Go read what I write again and get back to me ok? it seems you are a bit confused about my messages
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odkosh: 12:54pm On Feb 12, 2018
Soreza:
NONSENSE TRASH TARGETED AT THE IGBOS,IT WON'T WORK I ASSURE U.
Yinmu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 12:56pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:
I never heard about such a law and even if they enacted it, Its dead long before it arrives. It might be something that happened maybe 10 years ago n was never enforced because it is IMPOSSIBLE.

No state in Nigeria can "force" anyone to read a local language before they are allowed to graduate or allowed to gain admission. Such a law has never seen the light of the day in Nigeria and it will remain like that.

Besides if such a law was legal and was announced, Its Igbo land so it is justifiable . Lagos is not Yoruba land so the Afonjas have no ground to enact such law.
Keep kwayiet dia! shocked The fact that you never heard about such a law, does not mean that it doesn't exist. Anambra and Imo states enacted the law on teaching and studying of Igbo language and made it compulsory till today, for all students at primary and secondary school level to study and pass it, in order to be promoted to the next class.

And why is it 'justifiable' for such a law to be enacted in Igbo land, but it is not permissible, for Lagos state to do the same? Stop this hypocrisy, biko. According to you, Lagos is not Yoruba land....okay, I guess it must be Ibibio land or Kalabari land then, not so? shocked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ODVanguard: 12:56pm On Feb 12, 2018
Odingo1:
Yoruba like introducing tribalism into anything in Nigeria, they first introduce tribal politics now tribal education yet they are the tribe that love one Nigeria more than any other tribe because of Niger delta oil money that they are feeding on.

Imagine what will happen in Nigeria if every state in Nigeria state to enact a law that say that every student must have a credit in any of their indigenous language in their state before a student will be allowed to study in their schools.

Federal government should call them to order or they should divide Nigeria let every region manage their resources.

Where was your hypocritical behind when your SE governors pioneered the idea?

www.thenationonlineng.net/obiano-makes-igbo-language-compulsory/, www. biatimes.com/2016/03/07/nigeria-igbo-language-now-compulsory-in-igbo-schools-governor-rochas-okorocha/, www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/university-make-igbo-language-compulsory-course-students

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 12:58pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

Go read what I write again and get back to me ok? it seems you are a bit confused about my messages

What you don't know these days is, most Yoruba people including me can't read or write properly in Yoruba language the way we write in English language, imagine if government doesn't give proper look into this, the language will go into extinct,

'including me'....again what stopped you reading and writing yoruba properly the way you write english?i hope you know it is primary and secondary school one learns this?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by successinlife: 12:59pm On Feb 12, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Those countries are mostly ethnically homogeneous, and have their languages as the national language. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic unitary state with an official language which happens to be a colonial one.
In any case, that isn't even the important thing. No one has stopped you developing a Yoruba curriculum. If they were teaching Engineering in Yoruba in LASU, no one who doesn't speak or write Yoruba would bother applying. That's a different thing from going to study a professional course with English as the language of instruction, then having to waste your time with irrelevant courses that adds nothing to your profession. It is understandable in basic education (primary and secondary), but not educating a bunch of adults that came to the university to train themselves as professionals.

Spain is ethnically homogeneous? with Catalan,Basque,Andalusia etc,they all have different languages and cultures.

France is ethnically homogeneous? with Corse,Marseille, Basque and Britons? they all have their language and cultures.

In many european countries there are underground secession agenda.Don't look at what you are reading about them in books,it is real.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by D2DK(m): 12:59pm On Feb 12, 2018
aremuforlife:

I can see how delude you are. English is a foreign language and It's killing our local lang6and culture and a law has been pass to awake the dead language but you are here saying rubbish about a an educated Yoruba man can speak or pronounce good English have you ever ask yourself why did AMERICA have their own version of English instead of British that colonized them.
It's high time we promote ourselves and our own things in our own way.if you are in any European country you will be forced to go to school to learn their local dialect before you can be consider in any things.
The first step of restructuring should be language colonization. Every region should use their local officials language to communicate in their region and I believe with this we are ready for separation or restructure.
like I said before I still stand my ground and I'm sure you're a Yoruba man from the way you're struggling to compose this sentence. Meanwhile the America and other countries you talked about are they multi lingual like Nigeria? We're praying for national unity and integration and you're talking about making Yoruba official in the state so come to think of it what if every other states choose to do same? Where do you think it will land us as a country
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odkosh: 12:59pm On Feb 12, 2018
[s]
Odingo1:

[/s]Trash. When you were appointing your people into UI in the olden days in yoruba land because the vc of UI was igbo man, that is not tribalism. When you refused an hauseaan from contesting in ebonyi, that is not tribalism nut dibalism. You people just start. This is yorubaland n yoruba affair. Go to alaigbo if you do not like it.

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by bakynes(m): 1:01pm On Feb 12, 2018
Odingo1:

Direct you anger to Hausa-Fulani who are the major beneficiaries of your Oil, Yoruba's were the first to suggest Resource control and reverting back to regionalism which will help the Niger delta people So you can keep your Niger-delta oil.

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ositadima1(m): 1:02pm On Feb 12, 2018
tunjijones:

Compare the numbers of south west in the east to the number of easteners in the west... The number of Easterners in the west is alarming. Am not the type that dwel on tribe or a tribalist but if Lagos state says that's what the want then you have to abide by it or you get the f...k off. And bros pls stop lumping south east with south south, they are not the same pple.

I never said east and south south are the same people, show me where I insinuated that or you must be poor at comprehension.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by whitebeard(m): 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
you are not making any sense.
It says yoruba is now mandotary for "admission" in to Lagos schools.

It means you need to pass Yoruba in your waec or what ever exam you wanna do to get into Lagos school, just like you need English to get into the federal schools in Nigeria.

If you are not complaining about needing french to get admitted in France, why are you crying about needing Yoruba to get into Yoruba schools?

English is federal language, the law didn't affect federal schools. Go to federal school and leave Yoruba school for Yorubas if you cannot cope with our language.
our culture yoruba, igbo, Hausa is fading u only trying to have hope...it too late the young generation think differently of what ur generation thinks. It can't be helped.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by proffemi: 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2018
Sorry, but unless there's more to this than has been reported, it's a stupid idea.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by whitebeard(m): 1:07pm On Feb 12, 2018
aremuforlife:

Yes there different version of Yoruba language, but I want you to know that we have a unified Yoruba language that connect all the omonuabi's together very understandable. It's a welcome ideal and it will promote our culture and it will also employe most of the Yoruba teachers who are out of work.
is not only yoruba teachers that are out of work..but don't worry sha, the reason might not be clear yet..just give it a couple of decades...u would understand for reason the position of culture in our country.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Premiumwriter: 1:09pm On Feb 12, 2018
Odkosh:
Hang yourself.
e dey pain am grin grin
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 1:09pm On Feb 12, 2018
ODVanguard:

www.thenationonlineng.net/obiano-makes-igbo-language-compulsory/, www. biatimes.com/2016/03/07/nigeria-igbo-language-now-compulsory-in-igbo-schools-governor-rochas-okorocha/, www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/university-make-igbo-language-compulsory-course-students
Hehehe.....they developed selective amnesia when all this was happening in the SE!

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odingo1: 1:10pm On Feb 12, 2018
ODVanguard:

Did anybody complain when Lagos make Yoruba language compulsory in their schools, what is shameful and tribalistic in it is saying that before you enter tertiary institutions own by lagos state that one must have credit in Yoruba language, that is highest point of bringing tribalism into education, what will happen to a parents that just relocated to Lagos due to federal government posting and the children cant access the higher institution in the state because they must have credit in yoruba languge,isn't that a tribalistic unintelligent stupid retrogressive law.

You people will carry one Nigeria for head like gala but in dark corner be planting division and tribalism everywhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by bakynes(m): 1:10pm On Feb 12, 2018
But I don't understand all these Igbos on Nairaland, if Anambra and Imo can pass such a law why are they pained with Lagos state passing a similar law?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:10pm On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:

What you don't know these days is, most Yoruba people including me can't read or write properly in Yoruba language the way we write in English language, imagine if government doesn't give proper look into this, the language will go into extinct,

'including me'....again what stopped you reading and writing yoruba properly the way you write english?i hope you know it is primary and secondary school one learns this?
For your information, i can communicate, write, read in Yoruba language and i learned most of it from parent and of course primary and secondary school as well, i do hope have answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odkosh: 1:12pm On Feb 12, 2018
D2DK:
I knew this was going to happen one day. Because no matter how educated a Yoruba person is they find it very difficult to speak English or pronounce another tribe's name. I won't be surprised very soon primary school teachers will be teaching all subjects with Yoruba and when they eventually travel to another place for youth service You See them finding it very difficult to communicate with good English. I'm Oduduwa is disappointed with this law where ever he is grin
Can your father speak good english than wole soyinka, or can your achebe speak good english than him. If you are pained about this, abeg visit lagoon.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odingo1: 1:14pm On Feb 12, 2018
bakynes:
But I don't understand all these Igbos on Nairaland, if Anambra and Imo can pass such a law why are they pained with Lagos state passing a similar law?

How will school system look like in Nigeria , when you want to enter any state own tertiary school in the east you must speak Igbo and most speak Hausa for the north and for south south you must speak Efik or Ibibio for Akwa cross and Isoko,Ijaw, Urobo,Bini and others, yet your tribe people want one Nigeria by all means tongue tongue tongue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply)

Ever Had A Classmate That Cheated Like This? (Photo) / UNILAG Female Hostel Roof Leaks As Heavy Rain Water Fills The Rooms (Photos) / Kwara State University, Malete Drone Pictures And Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.