Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Birthmark - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Birthmark (142228 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Birthmark by heemah(f): 7:29am On Mar 20, 2018
Thanks for the update Ma'am

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by bimberry1307(f): 8:33am On Mar 20, 2018
wow! this revenge is sweet.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by murphymakun(m): 12:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nice update

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Otuosowo(f): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
thanks for the update ma'am, pls keep it coming consistently. more inspiration to you

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 12:37pm On Mar 22, 2018
Yes, it is untill it start to backfire..
bimberry1307:
wow! this revenge is sweet.
Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 12:39pm On Mar 22, 2018
EIGHT

Fatihat strolled into the house after receiving her stockbroker’s call and grinned at her sister who was reading the novel in the sitting room.
“You won visa lottery?” Josephine asked as she glanced at her.
“It is something better than that. I just bought the last of the Abeebs‘s share which means I have the bigger share of the company than Tunde Abeeb. That calls for a celebration, doesn’t it?” She went to the drink cabinet and poured herself a glassful.
“I see.” Josephine continued reading without giving her a glance. Fatihat sipped her drink and came to stand before her. “Is that all you have to say, Jose?”She asked angrily. “What do you want me to say? You always do things your own way, so I don’t think my opinion is of any relevance to you.” she shrugged.
“I want it anyway. After all, it is free.” She downed her remaining drink and stared down at her sister.
“I will give it to you.” Josephine put her feet down and faced her. “In all sincerity, if Tunde throws in the towel and resigned, Can you singlehandedly run that company, even if it is not crumbling?” She demanded as she stared at her.
Fatihat stared at her for a moment and sat down abruptly opposite her. “Of course, he can’t do that. He still owns part of it and it means a lot to him.” She said calmly, even though she wasn’t sure any longer.
“We both know it is a possibility and you like facing reality, don’t you? That company is crumbling and you know it, yet you tied up almost all your money in it because you want to revenge. If that guy walks out of the door, you are in a great soup of trouble, you slowpoke.” Josephine hissed viciously and she put the wine glass down.
“Okay, I got your point.What should I do now?” she asked worriedly, chewing on her lower lips.
“I don’t know. It is your funeral, you attend it alone.” Josephine picked up her novel and walked away from her, leaving her in deep thought.
Tunde stormed into the house and met his three brothers in his mother’s bedroom with his mother. “How was the meeting, Tunde?”Wale asked quickly.
“Can somebody explain this? I just received a call from the company lawyer and he told me you guys just sold out your shares. Can you tell me the reason?” He asked coldly.
“I need money in school and the value of the shares is dropping anyway, so what is the big deal?”Tayo, the baby of the family said with a glare.
“You are a big fool.”Tunde made to hit him but wale pulled him back. “Take it easy please, Tunde. I understand how you feel.” Wale said pleadingly.
“What is going on, Tunde? You should have let us in before now.”Ayoola, the older of the two brothers said worriedly.
“She bought it all.”Tunde sank unto the sofa wearily, suddenly drained out.
“Who is she, wale?”Yemi spoke for the first time. The recent trying period had taken its toll on her youthful face and she looked older than her age.
“Delilah Smith. She has been buying our asset; I think she means serious business.” Wale sat on the bed and leaned against the bedpost.
“I wonder how she got so rich within a short period of time, it is unbelievable.”Tunde said in reluctant awe and wonder.
“Come off it. She is a very beautiful woman.” Wale said with a quick grin.
“She is really out for me, wale. What should I do now?” Tunde gave his brother a bleak look.
“How come you know her so much, wale? I thought you have no interest in the business.” Their mother said lightly.
“Mum, she is Fatihat Ali.”Tunde said bluntly and watched his mother’s jaw dropped in shock.
“Our prettiest housemaid? What happens to her by the way?”Tayo asked curiously.
“She got pregnant and I sent her away. Her beauty got the better of her” Yemi said, still angry at the memory.
“She was pregnant?”Tunde echoed in disbelieve as the room suddenly become hot for him. He removed his jacket as he got to his feet.
“You didn’t use protection, Tunde?” Wale narrowed his eyes at him.
“I didn’t plan it. I just came back from work and met her in my room that day, then…….”His voice trailed away as his mother stared at him in horror. He looked away and then started pacing.
“You raped her, Tunde?”Yemi asked in a shaky whisper. “I never meant to……” Tunde scrubbed his palm down his face wearily and held it out helplessly. “I’m sorry, mum.”He finished lamely.
“I want a yes or No answer. Did you rape her, Tunde abeeb?”She asked coldly.
“Yes, ma.”He said in a small voice and blinked when her palm connected with his cheek in a resounding slap. His head snapped back when a second blow followed on the other cheek.
“I’m so ashamed of you, Tunde. You are a disgrace to this family, so you could bow so low as to rape an innocent girl?” Tears filled her eyes as she turned away and bowed her head. “I was busy, warning her when the black sheep was actually in my own family; among the fools, I called responsible children.” She swallowed her sobs as she paced up and down the room while her children looked on in silence.Tunde’s ears continued to ring and his heart constricted painfully in his chest. “She was trying to tell me the day I sent her out but I didn’t believe her that a child of mine could be such an animal. How are you so sure the pregnancy is yours?” She turned to him and he flinched unconsciously. “She was a virgin. I was her first man.” He said quietly.
“Oh my God!” She rocked back and forth on her heels and tried not to let the tears drop. “Do you know she was almost through with secondary school when I sent her out? Her remaining balance with me could not even take her to Ibadan, talk less of taking her back to the north where her family resides. You are wicked, Tunde, selfish and irresponsible. I wish I can disown you.” She threw him an angry glance.
“Mum, the deed is done already, what is the way forward now?” Wale asked after some time.
“Are you asking me for the way forward? Ask your idiot brother for the way out. I don’t have your time. Please get out of my room, all of you.” she said coldly. All her sons filed out except for Tunde who lingered behind them.
“I’m truly sorry, mum. I made a terrible mistake and I wish I can undo it. I will try my best to rectify it though, I promise.” He said desperately and she faced him squarely. “That is your problem, Youngman and it is none of my damn business. I’ve washed my hand completely off your father’s business, so you are free to do as you please your lordship. Now, get out before I do something we will both regret later.” She told him and he quietly exits her room, closing the door silently behind him.
Fatihat came back from school quite late. She was about to sneak up to her room when she heard an argument coming from the kitchen below and paused on the staircase. The argument was between Josephine and wale and she groaned when she realized she was the topic of discussion.
“Jose, why are you behaving this way? Please persuade your sister to stop adding to our problems.” Wale’s voice vibrated with suppressed anger.
“Just tell me one good reason I should interfere on your behalf. I’m sure you are aware of the whole history by now. I don’t dapple into what is not my business. I’m sorry about that, boyfriend.”
“Are you refusing my request, Jose? I’ve never asked you a favor in my life. Can’t you just try on this one? Please!”
“I’m refusing this one, wale. On the other hand, you can go and talk to her if you feel like.”
‘Your sister is single-handedly manipulating a whole family, your fiancée’s family and you are feeling smug about it. What kind of wife are you going to be?” He said tartly. “Next time, your brother should keep his trousers zipped up tight and your mother should learn to be a bit more tolerant. Is that okay, boyfriend?”
“Please stop insulting my family, girlfriend. The least you could do is respect them just a little bit and stop being so judgmental.”He walked out of the kitchen and towards the doorway. He saw fatihat on the staircase but didn’t pause in his stride. “Are you doing it or not?” He asked for the last time at the doorway.
“We are through with that discussion, Mr. Abeeb.”Josephine told him with her hand on her hip.
“Good riddance to bad rubbish.” He muttered loud enough for both of them to hear and went out while she flinched visibly.
Josephine sat down and tapped her nails sharply on the glass tool impatiently.fatihat came down the staircase and sat opposite her.
“I hope you know I’m capable of fighting for myself, I don’t need you to fight on my behalf.”
“Come off it. You know it is not about you.” Josephine threw her an irritating glance.
“So what is this all about? You guys were discussing me when I came in.”
“Don’t be so full of yourself, girl. We were discussing the issue going on in their family and it is none of your business.”
“Josephine, I know you are crazy about this guy. Don’t throw away this relationship because of something that happened to me in the past. My rotten past is not worth that kind of sacrifice.”
“You are worth everything and anything. Please don’t get me angrier than this.” she glared at her younger sister.
“Accepted. Don’t you love him as much as you thought you do?”Fatihat asked impatiently.
“When did you start believing in love, my dear girl?” she asked with sudden interest.
“I don’t believe in it but you do and that is enough. Do you think it is easy to get a man who will accept you for who you are, with your rotten past and all? Wake up, big sister. Think twice and don’t give him an excuse to walk away from your life.”She picked up her bag and walked upstairs.
Josephine did think twice but she was not ready to swallow her pride and go begging him back into her life. Wale did not call or check on her and she started getting really worried.Fatihat was busy throughout the week in school. She didn’t have time for the company or Josephine’s love problem. There were tests and general preparation for their second-semester exam.
It was Sunday and Wale’s day off from the hospital.Tunde has spent the night in his house. It gave them enough time to discuss the issues going on in the family. He was at the breakfast table while Tunde was in the bathroom when the doorbell rang. He left his breakfast and went to open the door. His eyes nearly popped out of its socket when he saw his early morning visitor.
She was looking cute in a micro-mini flowery sun-dress with a cap sleeve and a low-heel white sandal adorned her small feet. She flashed him her radiant gaped-teeth smile and he couldn’t help smiling back.
“You are a stunner, girlie. I nearly did not recognize you.” He grinned at her.
“Don’t insult me. You’ve always known I’m a looker.” She hit him playfully on the chest.
“Come on in. Good morning.” He moved aside for her to enter and he locked the door behind her.
“You don’t look too good. What is the problem?” She cocked her head to a side.
“What are you insinuating?” He scowled at her.
“I’m not insinuating anything. You have a lovely apartment. Anything for the babe?” she looked round in appreciation and he brought out a bottle of wine from the fridge.
“Do you care for this?” He placed the wine with its glass in front of her.
“I rarely take breakfast. I’m good.” she popped the cover of the bottle open and poured the wine into a glass cup.
“How is my baby?” He asked as he sat opposite her.
“She is not looking better. She doesn’t know I’m here.” She sat back and cross her legs. “So why are you here? I have this impression that you don’t care about my existence that much in your sister’s life.” He said bluntly.
“I don’t care for any man. I see them as toys to play with and discard when they are no longer useful.” She paused but his face was expressionless. “My sister is the most important thing to me and you happen to be very important to her, so I’m at a crossroad here. I understand that this is your first real quarrel and it is all about me. I hope she hasn’t given you a reason to walk away?”
“I don’t just walk away from relationships. Kindly bear that in mind and I believe anything worth having is worth working for. I’m different from all the men you ever know in your life.” He told her firmly and she regarded him in silence for a moment. “Prove it and I will give you benefit of doubt.” she said with a hint of challenge in her voice.
“I will.” He promised quietly.
Tunde came into the sitting room from behind her, clad in boxers’ shorts with a towel around his neck. He bent over fatihat, holding her by the waist and gave her a smacking kiss on the cheek.
“You, rat. How dare you scare me so?” she glowered at him as she turned around.
“Do you scare so easily? I don’t believe that. Where have you been?” He came round and sat beside her.
“How is that your business? Get away from me.” She tried to move away but he pulled her back.
“Are you scared of sitting beside me? You look good enough to eat.” He smoothed her hair back from her face and she stared at him in amazement.
“You are an incorrigible flirt, Tunde Abeeb! Do I look like someone you can flatter?” She tried to move away again. He picked her by the waist and dropped her on his lap. “Every woman needs to be flattered once in a while but I am not flattering you.” He grinned as he rocked her back and forth. To her dismay and horror, she found herself relaxing in his intimate embrace and struggled to keep herself alert.
“Thanks. Let me go” She wriggled her toes and realized her feet were not even touching the ground.
“At least I can’t rape you in my brother’s presence.”He grinned at her as he caught her face in his hand and kissed her fully on the mouth. Fatihat froze for a moment, undecided in her mind but for the first time in years her emotions ruled over her and she responded to the gentle persuasions of his lips on hers. Her palms went flat on his chest and she sagged against him as he deepened the kiss. None of them noticed Wale left the room or even the house either as they were lost in their own blissful world. Tunde broke the kiss and came up for air. It was then she realized the full force of what she had done and stared at him in dismay. She got to her feet abruptly and picked up her bag.
“Fatihat, I’m sorry. I got carried away.”Tunde got to his feet too and wrapped the towel around his waist when he realized the evidence of his arousal was blatantly showing. “What are you apologizing for? Do you think I’m the same dummy girl you raped years ago?” She asked coldly and he winced slightly.
“Come off it. We were both carried away a moment ago. I admitted I started it and I’m sorry for that but you didn’t exactly reject my kiss, did you?” He said as a matter of fact. “I guess I forgot the lesson I learned years ago that men are real snakes. It won’t repeat itself.” she vowed as she walked out of the room without a backward glance, slamming the door behind her.
Tunde sank unto the sofa and released his breath slowly. God! What are my doing to myself? My life is crumbling all around me and all I can think about is this devil incarnate called Fatihat Ali, he thought miserably and sighed heavily.
Fatihat was still fuming with rage when she ran into traffic on her way home and turned off the engine. She rolled down her window and stared out of the car when a little girl walked past with a box of gala sausage rolls and snacks.
“Aunty, buy sweet gala. It is fresh and crisp.” The girl flashed a toothless grin and she looked at her. The girl was around seven years old and was clad in faded jean shorts and t-shirt. Her hair was covered with a scarf and she carried her box of gala elegantly on her shoulder.
Fatihat was impressed, she smiled at the little girl and the girl smiled back.
“How much is your gala?” she asked, even though she has no appetite for it.
“It is fifty naira each ma. How many do you want?” The little girl asked eagerly.
“Give me two” Fatihat gave her two hundred naira note and collected the snacks from her. The little girl put down her box of snacks and was looking for a change when cars started moving.
“What is your name? You can keep the change.”Fatihat turned the ignition key.
“I’m Gift Thomas. Thank you very much ma.”The girl grinned happily at her.
“You are welcome, gift. See you some other time.” Fatihat waved at her and drove away as she rolled up her window.

P.S

Do you want to study, work and live in Australia? We offer free education consultancy, assist with Admission processing and student visa application. We also do flight reservation and ticketing to any destination outside Nigeria. Chat me up if you are interested. I can be reached at @obolaji on twitter and https://web.facebook.com/olanrewaju.mobolaji on facebook. You may also inbox me at obolaji2002@yahoo.com......

Cheers!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by divinehand2003(m): 1:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
Nice piece.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by genius43(m): 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
Nice one keep it coming.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by skubido(m): 2:46pm On Mar 22, 2018
Gift Thomas abi? Hmmmm. Make i chi.

Tanks a lot 4d update ma

3 Likes

Re: Birthmark by Eddyella(f): 3:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
Finally.d twins re now complete.
I dey follow u 4rm bumper 2 bumper.
More update pls....

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Eddyella(f): 3:07pm On Mar 22, 2018
Finally.d twins re now complete.

I dey follow u 4rm bumper 2 bumper.

More update pls....

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by aprilwise(m): 3:19pm On Mar 22, 2018
such a masterpiece. thanks for the update. hope to read more soon.

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by heemah(f): 9:14pm On Mar 22, 2018
Our second baby is alive too grin.
Thanks BOLAPE.

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 1:28pm On Mar 23, 2018
**smiles.
Thanks for reading.
Keep your fingers crossed..

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 1:29pm On Mar 23, 2018
**smiles.

Both twins are alive.

Keep your fingers crossed..

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by skubido(m): 1:33pm On Mar 23, 2018
Gbam.........

Sist Oya comma update oo

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by bimberry1307(f): 3:27pm On Mar 23, 2018
Gift Thomas! that's her baby she just dashed 100 box. ok o, I'm watching from a ten story building.

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
Don't fall from the Ten storey building please. lol
bimberry1307:
Gift Thomas! that's her baby she just dashed 100 box. ok o, I'm watching from a ten story building.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Nickibeauty(f): 10:56pm On Mar 24, 2018
Wow keep it coming

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 1:03pm On Mar 26, 2018
NINE
“That gala girl is sure a pretty one. Isn’t she cute, mum?” Lekan turned to his mother with a grin.
Yetunde looked out through the window to see the gala-girl selling her snacks to the occupant of a car. They were on their way home from her shop and were held up in traffic.
“She is beautiful indeed. I thought Funmi is the prettiest girl to you right now or that has changed already?” she teased as she glanced at him.
Funmi was Ademola Badmus’s ten-year-old daughter. She attended the same school with Lekan. She was a result of an affair that had almost ended in marriage but her mother died in a fatal motor accident which nearly killed all of them a week to the wedding. After that incident, Ademola had washed his hands off the institution called marriage until he met Yetunde two years ago and the feelings he thought were dead re-surfaced. Fortunately for him, Funmi had taken an instant liking to Yetunde to his surprise because she always resent the presence of his previous girlfriends in his life and she also liked Lekan immensely.
It had been love at first sight for both kids and they had taken to each other as if they were blood relative. Unfortunately, Lekan disliked Funmi’s father openly and intensely but Ademola was damned if it would be the little boy that will keep him away from the only woman that meant something to him after his first love.
“Funmi is a very pretty girl but I think that gala girl is prettier than she is, don’t you think so, mum?”He insisted. She sighed inwardly, wondering at the kind of man who actually fathered him because it was obvious he was going to like women a lot.
“How come you like Funmi so much and you dislike her father? Don’t you know they are the same blood?” She broached the subject that had always created an issue between them.
“I just don’t like him.” His voice turned sulky as he turned away.
“You don’t have a very good reason for not liking him, Lekan. I may decide to marry him and make him your new daddy. Won’t you like to have a daddy like your mates in school?”
“I don’t want or need a daddy. I’m perfectly okay with you.” He brought out his new game from his bag and concentrated fiercely on it. Yetunde sighed heavily and let the subject drop.
The second semester ended in school. Fatihat becomes a regular visitor to the Abeebs‘s company. Between herself, Tunde and his personal assistant, they worked on their goals to bring the company back to his feet.
Surprisingly, she got a lot of satisfaction from working in the office and felt worthwhile for the first time in her life. She also found out she was right about Tunde Abeeb once again. His father’s company was his first love which was followed by his sweetheart, Adenike and she had succeeded in hitting both squarely in the middle.
Being occupied in the office reduced the rate at which she went on an outing and to parties greatly. She has to turn down several party invites. She was the new occupant of the Chief Executive Officer’s Office and had it re-furnished and decorated to her taste.
Three months after she occupied the new office, she received the least expected visitor in her office. Her secretary and personal assistance, Lara was on Lunch break and she was trying to finish a thriller novel in her office before leaving for the day when she heard a knock on her door.
“Please come in” Fatihat dropped her feet on the floor and looked towards the door while the half-smoked cigar smoldered away in between her fingers. The door opened.
Yemi Abeeb walked into what used to be her husband’s office which was supposed to be her son’s current office but was obviously her former housemaid’s office now. The impact of what had been happening to them all this while hit her with full impact and she aged visibly as fatihat watched her without a flicker of expression. She dragged on the cigar stick sharply and dropped the half-smoked cigar into the ashtray as she leaned into the seat.
“Good afternoon, fatihat” Yemi greeted her quietly.
“Good afternoon, Mrs. Abeeb. Please have your seat.” She gestured casually to a seat and reached for her box of cigar stick. Yemi sank down gratefully into a seat opposite her and watched the beautiful young lady before sighing heavily to herself.
“Thank you. Where is Tunde? I thought this was his office. That was why I came here.”Yemi watched her lit a cigar stick, dragged at it and blew the smoke leisurely into the air before turning to face her.
“The general manager’s office is where he is but I guess he should be out of the office now to see one of our existing clients. Will you leave a message for him?” She asked casually, pushing a notepad with a pen to her across the heavy, dark mahogany table between them.
“There is no problem. I will probably talk to him when and if he comes home tonight. Can I talk to you for a moment, fatihat?”Yemi asked hesitantly, even as she realized that this sophisticated, wild young woman was different from the innocent beautiful girl she used to know a long time ago. Thanks to me and my son, she thought bitterly.
“Please shoot. I’m all ears but you have to make it snappy because I have to leave the office any moment from now.” she glanced at her slim gold wrist-watch and met her gaze.
“How will I convince you that I’m truly sorry for what happened between us almost eight years ago? I should have listened to you.”Yemi said earnestly as she leans forward.
“Yes, you should have but you didn’t and that happened light years ago. Please forget it, Mrs. Abeeb and let’s move on with life.” She flashed a brief smile as she flicked ash into the ashtray with a gentle tap of her long fingers.
“It is obvious you are not ready to talk about it. Thank you for not walking me out of your office. I hope we will be friends one day though.”Yemi got to her feet with the remnants of her pride and moved towards the door.
“Good day, Mrs. Abeeb. I will tell your son you stop by.” she told her back and turned away to smoke in silence. She went to deliver the message to Tunde’s secretary and left company’s premises immediately.
Tunde came in thirty minutes later and went straight to fatihat’s office.
“She is not in sir.” Lara told him as she looked up from her system.
“Where has she gone to? Our contract has been renewed and we have to finalize it before they have a chance to change their mind.”Tunde was barely suppressing the excitement bubbling in him.
“Well……..she left a note that she is going to the golf club to see some friends.” She said feeling distinctly embarrassed for what seemed like her boss’s irresponsible action.
“She went to a golf club in the middle of a workday?” He asked in disbelieve that was rapidly turning to anger.
“Yes sir.” she replied quietly.
“I will be right back.” He promised ominously and strode out of the office. He knew her favorite golf club because he had gone to drag her from the place one or two times which had ended in a severe row between them. He got to the club, seething with rage and went straight to the receptionist.
“Good afternoon. Have you seen Delilah Smith today?” He asked without preamble. “She was here for about thirty minutes and left in the company of friends for Alpha beach for a get-together I think. I heard her talking to a lady called Josephine.”Fatihat was a popular figure in the club and virtually everybody knew her. The young receptionist looked at Tunde, wondering if her explanation made any sense to him and he thanked her with a generous tip. He called Josephine and demanded to know where her sister was headed to.
“She is at Alpha beach for a get-together party and from there she is headed for ……….I can’t remember the name of the hotel for an all-night party. In short, she is not coming home tonight and that was why she called me. Is there any problem?” Josephine asked casually, sorting through files on her table.
“It is nothing I can’t handle. Thanks for the information.” His tone turned icy as he headed for the beach. He recognized her immediately he strolled into the party arena, even though she has changed into a jean bum short and a short tank top which did not cover her navel.
She dropped a can of Smirnoff she was holding and was dancing vigorously to Wande coal’s ‘bumper to bumper’ that was blaring from God’s nowhere. Her friends cheered her on and even Tunde has to admit she was an excellent dancer.
Tunde waited patiently until the volume of the music went down so that the real program could begin before moving to where she sat with her friends, smiling faintly as she tried to light a cigar and all eyes moved towards him.
“Good day, ladies and gentlemen. I’m sorry I need the attention of one of your friends, Lilah Smith.” His lips smiled at them but his eyes were like a chip of ice and fatihat knew he was furious.
“Tunde, what is the meaning of this?” she asked as she got abruptly to her feet and glared at him.
“There is time for everything. It is time to go back to work. Don’t bother to create a scene because I won’t hesitate to lift you bodily out of this party arena.’’
“My clothing is in my car, it is at the golf club. I came in my friends’ car.” She protested strongly, digging in her heels but his hand fastened around her upper arm like a steel rope.
“Please behave yourself. Let’s go. I got you a skirt suit on my way here and you will work for it, I promise you.” He said as he started pulling at her wrists.
“Damn it! Who is the boss here anyway? I can damn well sack you” She threatened hotly.
“When I’m no longer part of the company, you may run it down but as long as I’m still part of the team, I won’t allow you to play when you should be working. Do you understand that?” He said through gritted teeth.Fatihat wanted to slap him but she realized suddenly that her friends were watching and listening to them openly and unashamedly.
“Can I at least say goodbye to them?” she said through gritted teeth, swallowing her pride with deliberate effort.
“I give you five minutes. Otherwise….” He left the sentence hanging as he strolled away. Fatihat stood for a moment, staring at him in rising anger before she turned to her friends.
“Nice looking dude. Is that your latest man friend? He sure handles you.” Martha said with undisguised admiration, staring at his retreating back.
“He is my manager, my employee, he works for me.”
“He is one hell of an employee but I can smell the attraction between you guys. Are you sure you he is not going to be more than an employee eventually?” Andrew said with a grin as he dragged at a cigar stick.
“I don’t appreciate that joke at all. See you guys some other time.” She picked up her beach bag and swung away.
“I bet five hundred dollars that Lilah will eventually sleep with that guy.” She heard Andrew said which fueled her anger.
“I second it.” Michael chipped in.
“I hope not because I really like that guy and I will look out for him.” Martha said sulkily and the others burst into laughter but fatihat did not even smile.
Fatihat joined Tunde in the car, bristling with anger and spoiling for a real fight but he didn’t even spare her a glance as he kicked the engine to life. He drove to his friend’s hotel which was on their route and pulled up in the car park at the rear of the hotel. He reached behind her and dropped a T.M Lewis bag on her lap.
“I’m going to borrow my friend’s suite so that you can change in privacy. I don’t have all the time in the whole world because we’ve wasted enough of it already. Let’s go.” He said quietly and unlocked the doors.
“Can I have the suite‘s number and the key to it?” She held out her hands but he ignored it and stepped out of the car, giving her no choice than to follow.
A security man came over with a smile and greeted him, then saluted her as if she wasn’t improperly dressed. “I will be right back, Stephen.”Tunde gave him his car key and propelled fatihat towards the back entrance of the hotel with his hand on the small of her bare back. She turned on him fiercely immediately he opened the suite and they were alone.
“What is your problem anyway? You love playing the knight in shining armor, right?”
“I don’t have time for your injured dignity; fatihat.You should have acted more responsibly.” He glanced at his wrist-watch pointedly.
“You can go to hell with your suits. I’m not in the mood to work and I’m not coming with you.” She flopped into a sofa and dropped the bag like a pack of trash. He leaned over her with his hands on both arms of the sofa, automatically trapping her in and said with a dead calm
“I won’t hesitate to UnCloth you and dress you up properly. It will be a great pleasure to me, miss Ali.”
“You are a fool.” She raised her hand to hit him but he caught it in his hand and stared down at her.
“You are a real bitch.”He held her upper arms in a fierce grip and his mouth came down on hers with a brutal force. She winced as her lips got bruised and whimpered in protest against him.
The next moment he was the one sitting down and she was cuddled in his laps while his lips softened up on hers. She sank between his laps and kissed him back with a fire-hot passion that seemed to consume them both. He gathered her closer and his fingers slipped beneath the hem of her tank top while her fingers got busy with the buttons on his shirt. He sucked in his breath when her cool fingertips came into contact with his skin and he groaned against her mouth. The kiss deepened as his arm tightened around her and she moaned. He reached for the tank top and pulled it over her head before she could protest. She was bra-less and his blood boiled with passion at the sight.
“Oh God! I want you so much.” He groaned as he buried his head between her breasts and she shuddered involuntarily. They were soon drowning in the sea of passion that threatened to drown them both, all reasons and places are forgotten.
“Tunde Abeeb, what are you doing in a hotel room with a woman in the middle of a workday?”Olayiwola Douglass‘s voice proceeded him into the suite.
Tunde dropped Fatihat in the bedroom with a speed of lightning. “Dress up and meet me downstairs. I will be waiting for you.” He mouthed at her and was gone before she could reply.
“Get out” He met his friend at the door and the latter took in his less than elegant appearance in a glance.
“Who is she? She must be very important for you leave the most important work in the world to bring her here.” He leaned against the door post.
“Stop being such a poke nose and go back to work.”Tunde made a show of dressing up properly and propelled his friend out of the room.
“You don’t want to tell me who she is, isn’t it? Have you forgotten Nike so soon? This is one woman who has stayed with you when you needed one most.”Olayiwola said bitterly and he gave a deep sigh.
“I’ve never forgotten her, Ola but what should I do if she refused to see or talk to me. She has even changed her number because of me. If she truly loves and trusts me, she could have given me a benefit of doubt, despite everything. There is a limit to what a man can take, don’t you think so?”
“You are right. I did try approaching her too but it was as if we’ve never been friends, she was so cold. So are you dating someone else now?” His friend asked in curiosity. “No. I need that company back on its feet before anything else, even if it is no longer mine. I don’t have time for relationships.” He moved down the staircase.
“But you have time for flings, right?”Olayiwola teased as he followed behind.
“Flings doesn’t cost anything and drop it, I won’t tell you who she is.” He grinned and headed out to his car.Fatihat joined him barely five minutes later and they drove back to the office in a companion silence.
She thought the previous day was the most stressful at work but she realized that today was even worse and Tunde had spent the whole of the two days in her office, working towards a deadline that was drawing near. They were working towards a contract and they needed to put certain things in place before they had any chance of being considered at all. They had a very short break in which they were supplied with snacks and drinks by her secretary and they joined a conference call after then which ended in the evening. “I’m ready to drop.” She flopped unto the sofa in her office and closed her eyes. “Common, Fatihat. We have a few more files to go through now and we are done here.” “I can’t go on any longer. Every other thing can go to hell.” she removed a cigar from the pack on the stool beside her and put a lighter to it.
“We will achieve more at a faster rate if we do this together, then we can both go home. We should be able to go to that meeting tomorrow.”He was growing impatient.
“You are the workaholic, Mr. Abeeb, please get on with it.” She blew smoke leisurely into the air and smiled at him.
“Don’t be such a spoilsport, fatihat. Don’t you want a return on your money?’ He struggled to visibly control his temper.
“I’ve other investments elsewhere that will yield plenty of profits either I work for it or not, you are the one who will get hurt if this company went under because it is your last hope.” She told him flatly. His heart went cold as he realized bitterly that she was right. “I accept, iron lady. I promise to drive you home if only we can just finish this today. Be a good girl.” He grinned at her. She sighed heavily as she realized he won’t give up on her.
“You are a real pain in the ass and I will stay well clear of you after we are done here.” Her voice sounded bitter as she dropped the half-smoked cigar into the ashtray and got to her feet. “You will drive me home in my car.” she said after a moment.
“I will even carry you to your bedroom and give you a bath if you want.” He teased. She hissed in exasperation.

P.S

Do you want to study, work and live in Australia? We offer free education consultancy, assist with Admission processing and student visa application. We also do flight reservation and ticketing to any destination outside Nigeria. Chat me up if you are interested. I can be reached at @obolaji on twitter and https://web.facebook.com/olanrewaju.mobolaji on facebook. You may also inbox me at obolaji2002@yahoo.com......

Cheers!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by kunbeex(f): 4:15pm On Mar 26, 2018
ha ha ha following bumper to bumper,Good work

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Kinggnicole(f): 6:05pm On Mar 26, 2018
This is so good . I'm hooked

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Jane1234f(f): 8:07pm On Mar 26, 2018
Nice piece

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by indodon(m): 9:23pm On Mar 26, 2018
this story is a bomb......

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by bimberry1307(f): 12:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
I'm so loving this right now.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by oloyedprince1(m): 10:41am On Mar 28, 2018
bolape, nice update, u are consistent, kudos for dat....next please

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 4:34pm On Mar 29, 2018
Thank you.

Who should Tunde go for? Nike or Fatihat?

oloyedprince1:
bolape, nice update, u are consistent, kudos for dat....next please
Re: Birthmark by genius43(m): 4:38pm On Mar 29, 2018
BOLAPE:
Thank you.

Who should Tunde go for? Nike or Fatihat?

Fatihat, the feeling between both are mutual even if it is suppressed.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
Wats going on ere??
Story fun finish?
Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 5:53pm On Apr 03, 2018
TEN

Fatihat was unusually quiet on their way home. She closed her eyes as she leaned her head on the head-seat. He thought she was asleep, so he drove in silence until he was held up in traffic and turned off the ignition key. He rolled down the window in time to see a little girl waving gleefully at him and he stared at her in amazement until he realized it may be fatihat she was actually waving to. He tapped her on the knees and she gave him a sleepy look.
“The little gala girl across the road has been trying to get your attention, I guess.” He gestured towards the little girl’s direction. Fatihat looked and then, grinned.
“Hey, baby. Whatz up?”Fatihat waved at her. The girl came running across the road, unaware that cars had started moving.The blue Nissan pickup coming towards her tried to stop in time but not before her dress caught the front of the car and she went down on her face on the road.
“Oh my god!”Fatihat muttered in horror as her heart seemed to freeze in her chest. With a burst of renewed energy, she yanked the car door open and got out.
“For God’s sake, Fatihat, use your sense and watched the way.”Tunde shouted after her but his warning was too late because she has jumped over the mid-way pavement with an unladylike agility and ran over to the girl sprawled on the ground with her wares spread around her. The driver of the van turned off his engine and came out of the car.
“Gift, are you okay?”Fatihat knelt beside the little girl, not caring about her five hundred dollars expensive suit she wore and lifted the little girl’s head gently, being careful not to move her too much in case she had broken something. The girl nodded numbly and she realized that the girl was more shocked than hurt. Relieve washed over her like a tide and she closed her eyes briefly before sweeping the little girl into her arms. Gift hugged her back and started crying.
“It is okay, baby. You are safe with me.”Fatihat smiled at her and kissed her cheek. “Madam, do you know the little girl?” The driver asked with a plain puzzle.
“The fact that I know her or do not know is none of your damn business. Why is it so difficult for you to have a little patience and let her go before moving? Assuming she was killed or bruised further than this, I would have made sure you spend the rest of your life in jail.” she said coldly.
“Take it easy, Fatihat. How is the little girl?” Tunde said as he joined them. She got to her feet before pushing the little girl unceremoniously into his arms.
“I’m sorry, madam. I didn’t see her on time.” The driver said, faintly embarrassed. She bent down and counted the number of sausages scattered on the ground to the amazement of those witnesses watching them.
“There are fifty sausages in the box, put your hand in your pocket and give me two thousand, five hundred naira only.” She snapped her fingers at him. Everybody burst into laughter except the harassed driver.
“Why should I give you any amount of money? After all, she is not your child and she is not bruised.” He said indignantly.
“That is a small amount to pay for what you did. Answer me now.” Her voice was hostile. He removed his wallet from his pocket and counted out the money to her.
“Thank you for your concern.” She suddenly grinned at the sea of faces around them, pick up the box of gala along with the unspoiled ones. “Let’s go, Tunde.”She went over to where he stood with the now quiet little girl and could see he was furious but she ignored him. By that time, cars had started moving and they got into her car.
“You are not in the position to hawk anymore tonight. Where do you live?”Fatihat sat beside him and the girl slipped into space between them.
“I live on Denro road, that bad dusty road that leads to akute. I like your car. I’ve never been in one before.” The little girl leaned over to whisper in her ear and she winced slightly.
“Are you hurt? Is it your back or your waist?”Fatihat asked quickly in concern.
“My back hurt a little.” Gift admitted.
“Let me see it.”Fatihat pulled the girl across her lap before she could protest and saw the bruised skin through the torn in her dress. She inspected it and pulled the dress down a little to know the extent of her injury.
Just above the cotton panties on her lower back, the small black mole stood out on the fair skin!

TEN

“Oh my God!” Fatihat whispered under her breath but Tunde heard her and glanced briefly at her.
“Are you alright?”He asked quietly.
“I’m fine.” She smiled woodenly as she drew the girl to a sitting position but she knew by the searching look he gave her that he didn’t believe her. “You need to see a doctor but it is late already and your place is quite far. Who do you stay with?” She asked curiously.
“I stay with my mum.” Gift rattled off her house address and direction to get there as she rested her head against her chest. Fatihat brushed the ugly scarf away from her head. The little girl’s dark silky hair was parted in the middle and braided into two. It was the same texture as hers and her heart beats increased immediately.
“Where do you guys come from? I mean are you Nigeria citizens or from our neighborhood country?” Fatihat asked in a playful tone, ignoring Tunde’s searching gaze again.
“Mummy is a Canadian but I’m not sure how we got here.” Gift shrugged and then, yawned aloud, snuggling closer to the young woman.
Fatihat fell silent after that and stared unseeingly out of the car into the darkening night.
It was 9 pm by the time they pulled up in front of Gift’s house. The area was quiet as the residents have gone indoor but they peeped through their windows when they heard the sound of a car in front of the house. It was quite unusual in the neighborhood and they wondered who the visitors were looking for.
Fatihat swept Gift into her arms after getting out of the car while Tunde took her box of Gala sausages, locked up the car and followed them into the face-to-face building.
“Mummy, I’m home.” Gift announced loudly as they walked into the long corridor that was lit with a yellow bulb. A door opened on the left at the far end of the building and a woman looked out with a smile which froze when she saw Gift in the arms of a strange young woman.
She was a white woman in her late thirties or early forties and was clad in the traditional Iro and Buba. “Your daughter had a minor accident and I brought her home.”Fatihat put her on her feet and put her money in her hands.
“Oh, my baby girl!” The woman said as she came out to hug the little girl, then she proceeded to check her thoroughly from her head to her toes in an open motherly affection.
“I’m okay, mum except for my back.” Gift grinned up at her and the woman gave her an impulsive kiss on the lips.
Fatihat suddenly felt lonely again in her life at the sight of the obvious bond between mother and child which she never had. She took involuntary steps backward and Tunde’s arms came round her waist in a protective gesture.
“Please thank Aunty on my behalf, she was the one I told you about the other day. She even collected the money for all my galas from the man who hit me.” Gift opened her palm for her mother to see the money.
“Thank you very much, young lady. I’m Chenille Thomas by the way. It is nice meeting you guys.” The woman held out her palm and Tunde shook it.
“I’m Tunde Abeeb and she is Delilah Smith. We would start going now. It is late.” Tunde spoke for both of them but fatihat was staring at the woman now.
“You said you are Chenille Thomas, is that right?”Fatihat asked in a voice barely louder than a whisper and the woman nodded firmly.
“I see. I’m out of here.” She turned on her heel and walked out. Tunde smiled at them and followed slowly while the woman and her child stared at the young lady, puzzled beyond words.
“Why did aunty behave so strangely? It was almost as if she doesn’t like you and she has never met you before, has she?” Gift asked later in the evening after her dinner and a brief visit to the nurse down the road.
“I don’t know. Do you know her name? Oh, her friend said she is Delilah Smith.”Chenille said with a slight shrug and they retired to bed after then.
Fatiha’s house was in darkness when Tunde pulled up in front of her house and turned towards her.
“Will you please tell me what is going on, fatihat?”He asked quietly. She has been staring out of the window ever since they left the little girl’s house and refused to say a single word to him.
“I’m fine. You can take the car home for easier transportation; I will have it back whenever we see again. Goodnight.”She said quietly and made to get out of the car but he put a restraining hand on her arm.
“The house is in complete darkness which means nobody is at home. Can you actually stay alone in that big house?” He asked with open concern.
“Come off it, Tunde, I’ve been alone all my life.” She gave a short humorless laugh and got out of the car. He watched her open the gate and walked in before driving away with a heavy sigh.
Fatihat woke up with a start to the consistent ringing of the doorbell and groaned as a nagging headache hit her. She pulled on a long blue robe over her crumpled undies and dragged herself downstairs. Her headache worsened with every step she took and she cursed her early morning visitor under her breath. She glanced at the wall clock. It was eight ’o clock. She grabbed a can of beer from the refrigerator before heading to the door. She took a long swing from it before opening the door.
It was Tunde and she stepped back as he comes in. He looked good in a pair of blue jean and white t-shirt.
“No work today?”Fatihat asked wearily as she moved to sink into the nearest sofa and down the rest of her beer in one swallow.
“Why are you drinking so early in the morning, fatihat? You have a hangover, right?” He said with sudden clarity and a hint of annoyance.
“I’m having a nasty headache but I think it is better now.” She curled into the sofa and looked at him with such a forlorn expression his heart turned over.
“Have you taken any other thing apart from alcohol since last night?” He got to his feet and she shook her head like a little girl.
He went into the kitchen and made her a hot cup of beverage with toast. She was already dozing when he came back into the sitting room with the tray of breakfast and she opened her eyes with a lazy grin. Aroma of hot cocoa tickled her nostril and her stomach rumbled in protest as she sat up. He placed the tray on her lap on towels and watched her eat like a starved kid.
“Are you okay or should I make more for you?” He got to his feet in concern.
“I’m fine now. Thank you, Tunde. God bless you.” She lifted the cup of tea while he took the tray away. She was stretched out on the longest sofa when he came in and he sat opposite her.
“I hope you are in a better mood now, isn’t it?” He turned to face her and she nodded mutely. “I know you were pretty upset last night and you dealt with it by taking to the bottles. Who is Chenille Thomas?” He asked bluntly.
“That is my mum’s name.” She answered in a whisper and he looked surprised.
“What happened to her? Where is she?” He asked in amazement.
“I don’t know her. I came across her international passport one day when I was cleaning my father’s room and I asked my step-mum about her. She was delighted to tell me she ran mentally ill and walked away to God knows where. I didn’t believe her of course but what else can I do?” she said with a sigh.
“Is she a Nigerian?” He asked puzzled.
“No. She is a Canadian from what I saw on the passport. I’m a half-caste I guess.” She said with an embarrassed little laugh.
“I see. That means she is still in Nigeria if she is still alive, right?”He looked at her and she nodded.
“Where is your dad? He should know where she is; after all, she had a daughter for him.” He asked curiously.
“He is dead. He died about nine or ten years ago just before I leave Kaduna. He never talked about my mother. It was as if she never exists in his life except for me. He barely acknowledged my presence in his house either.” She said in a resigned voice, tinted with heavy bitterness.
“You had a tough childhood and an even tougher adulthood. You are a brave soul, Fatihat.” He said quietly.
“Thank you.” Her voice was husky with tears and she coughed to clear it. She hasn’t cried in years!
“It is obvious that Gift’s mother is white from all appearances and she is old enough to be your mother. It could be just a coincidence but it doesn’t hurt to check her out. What do you say to that, fatihat?”He said casually and her pulse rate increased instantly.
“I don’t know. I’m having mixed feeling about it.” Her big brown eyes widened in anticipation.
“Nothing is stopping us from finding out. Go up and get dressed, lazy bone.”He pulled her to her feet and she laughed nervously.
“Thank you for everything.” she gave him a brief hug and bounded up the staircase like an excited kid.
Chenille Thomas was about to leave her house for the market when her august visitors arrived but they were not totally unexpected and her instinct had been right. “You are welcome.”Chenille grinned at both of them as she let them into her sparsely furnished one-room apartment.
“Where is Gift?”Fatihat asked promptly as she sat on the only furniture inside the room where she was joined immediately by Tunde who then stretched out his long legs and made the room looked smaller than it actually was.
“She has gone to school. She insisted she is okay, so I let her go before she turned restless which will not be too good for both of us. What can I offer you?” Chenille asked eagerly. “We are fine. We’ve taken our breakfast.”Fatihat looked at him for confirmation and he nodded solemnly.
“You, guys seem to be quite close. Do you stay together?” Chenille asked curiously as she pulled a low stool and sat opposite them.
“No!!” They both exclaimed simultaneously, a look of horror on their faces and chenille laughed heartily.
“Such a denial. We will talk about that later. So what brought both of you back here this morning?” She asked after a moment and fatihat took a deep breath.Tunde drew a hand down her narrow back briefly in assurance and she sat up straighter with a new determination.
“My birth name is Fatihat Ali and my father’s name is Usman Ali. Does that name made any sense to you?”Fatihat asked quietly and watched the woman grew very pale. “That was the name of my husband if he is still alive” Chenille laughed nervously but her voice was hostile and Fatihat felt her limbs trembling.
“Why did you leave him or let me say how come you guys are no longer together?” The question was from Tunde. The woman practically glared at him.
“Why will I leave him when I came to Nigeria because of him? We came back together after he completed his course over there but his family hated me on sight and wanted me out of their son’s life. Well, they got their wish at long last.” she ended bitterly.
“How?” Her voice was barely above a whisper.
“I was pregnant before we came to Nigeria. I was a full house-wife and was always alone at home with my baby once my husband left for work. On this fateful day, my baby was feverish and didn’t sleep throughout the night. By the time she fell asleep in the morning, I was tired and feeling sleepy myself. When I woke up, my room was in darkness because the curtains were down. I saw four men by the side of my bed. Three of them were my husband’s family but I don’t know the fourth guy. He must have been a doctor or health officer or at least know something about the human body because he was holding an injecting needle and discussing something with them in Hausa. I was terrified and tried to scream. Three of them held me down while the man injected the content of the injection needle into the back of my leg. I guess I blacked out immediately because the next time I opened my eyes, we were moving on the road.”Chenille paused and swallowed hard. “How did they get into the house? Don’t you lock your doors back then?” Fatihat asked with a whirling mind, trying to take it all in.
“I locked the door always whenever Usman left for work because I have had an issue of sexual abuse with an uncle when I was young. I am also a light sleeper but until today, I never stopped wondering how they got into the bedroom.” She turned to look at Fatihat blankly.
“Where did all this took place? In Lagos?”Tunde asked in a curious tone.
“No. Usman is a Hausa man. We lived in Kaduna but they brought me all the way to Lagos to drop me, unconscious and disoriented and told me I was lucky they didn’t want to kill me. Isn’t it funny?” She finally grinned at them but Fatiha's heart was beating so hard she thought it would be heard by the others and she exchanged a glance with Tunde. “I still have the scares of the needle at the back of my leg.” Chenille said as she pulled up her wrapper and showed them the scar.
“They are wicked. I don’t think they need to go to such extent to show their hatred.”Horror filled Fatihat’s voice.
“Well, I thank God they didn’t kill me. It took a turn on my mental and psychological health. I roamed aimlessly in this town for years. I always wonder what happens to my baby and my husband and what went on in his head when he came home to realize I have disappeared without a trace. I grieved the loss for a long time.” Her voice was low.
“He died almost ten years ago in a fatal motor accident and he never really discusses you with anyone.” Fatihat told her solemnly.
“I see.”Chenille was silent for a while, obviously trying to come to terms with the fact she would never see the only man she ever loved in her life again before she finally looked at fatihat and their eyes held for a moment.
“What did you call your name again?” Chenille asked abruptly.
“Fatihat Ali.”She swallowed hard.
“Fatihat Elizabeth Ali!”Chenille pronounced her name fully with a smile, even as her eyes filled with tears.
“Yes mama” Fatihat tried to return the smile but a sob came out instead. The next moment, she was in her mother’s arms, both of them were crying and laughing at the same time while Tunde silently slipped out of the room to give them some privacy.

P.S

Please drop your feedback.

Cheers!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by kunbeex(f): 6:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
nice update ma

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Ayoshewa12(f): 6:33pm On Apr 03, 2018
Gracious Lord

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

In Love With Her Pastor-episode 1 By Angelsss / Almost Paradise / Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.