Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,035 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. (62782 Views)

We Have No Intention Of Paying Fines To Nigerian Government - Binance / Payoneer Paid Me 607 Naira To 1 USD / Revealed: 1 Simple Step To Own A Government Approved Land In Lagos. Click Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by ManirBK: 10:38am On Feb 16, 2018
Mynd44 oam4j lalasticlala we needs your attention here wo!
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Rexnegro(m): 10:43am On Feb 16, 2018
Nice write up bro
Samleen:
*If government can stop the printing 500 NGN notes and 1,000 NGN notes and officially discontinue its use!

*Reintroduction of Nigeria coins, 50Kobo, 1 NGN and 2 NGN.

Welcome, lets get started by examinining the top 10 performing currencies in the world to gain necessary insights before drawing our conclusions.

*.Kuwait Dinar KWD:  (  1 KWD = 1201.9611 NGN  )
Bank notes: 1/4, 1/2, 1, 5, 10, 20 Dinars
Coins: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 Fils

*.Bahraini Dinar BHD: (  1 BHD = 956.3254 NGN   )
Bank note: BD 1/2, BD 1, BD 5, BD 10, BD 20
Coins: 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Fils, BD 1/2

*.Omani Rial OMR: (  1 OMR = 936.2906 NGN  )
Bank note: 1/2, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 Rials
Coin: 50, 10, 20, 50, 100 baisa and rarely used 200 biasa

*.Jordanian Dinar JDD:  (  1 JDD = 507,65070 NGN  )
Bank notes: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, Dinars
Coins: 1/2, 1, quirsh, 21/2, 5, 10 Piastras

*.British Pound GBP:  (   1 GBP = 504.8154 NGN   )
Bank notes: €5, €10, €20, €50
Coins: 1P, 2P, 5P, 10P, 50P, €1, €2

*.Caymanian Dollar KYD:  (  1 KYD = 432.7622 NGN   )
Bank notes: 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Dollars
Coin: 1, 5, 10, 25 Cents

*.Euro EUR:  (  1 EUR = 448.2926 NGN  )
Bank notes: €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200 and  €500

*.Swiss Franc CHF:  (  1 CHF = 388.1395 NGN  )
Bank note: 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 1000 francs
Coins: 5, 10 and 20 Rp/cts, 1/2, 1, 2 and 5 Fracs

*.United State Dollar USD: (  1 USD = 360.5000 NGN   )
Bank note: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
Coins: 1C, 5C, 10C, $1/4, $1/2, $1.

Go back to the list once again and check what's the highest denominations of each currency (and population of users of each currency), You will discover that the top performing currency do not have high face value like we have 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN in Nigeria.

Also, you will notice that the top performing currencies have coins form of currency with denomination of very low face value.

The highest of the denominaton is 1000 Franc followed by 500 EUR. 1000 Franc is not in frequent use and the highest Franc denomination next to it is 200 Frank ( not like 500 NGN as we have here in nigeria ). Also the use of 500 EUR will discontinue this year 2018.

Get a hold on history of exchange rate in Nigerian, you will find out that every introduction of new high denomination currency note has averse advese effect on it.

Why High Denominational Currency Note Is Bad:
1. Increase in prints of currency notes with high face value e.g 1000 NGN makes other lower currency of less important and less usefull. This can gradually lead to upgrade of price of goods and services in market.

2. It makes stealing and loothing of cash easier as larger amount of money value can be packed into a very small space.

Why do CBN currently print more high denominational currency alone? Methink its in a bid to enhance hoarding of cash against the comming 2019 general election.

3. 500 NGN and 1000 NGN are no money for the common man, go to the market and examine what denomination are most in use.

4. It's in a way opposing the cashless policy by the federal government of Nigeria.

What The Wise Nations Did:
1. United State of Ameria used to have $500, $1000, $2000 currency notes until December 14, 1945, when the high denominational bills were last printed and officially discontinued on July 14, 1969 by the Federal Reserve System.

2. Europian Central Bank announced on 4 May, 2016 that it would phase out the 500 Euro notes by the end of 2018.

Other Factors That May Affect The Exchange Rate Of A Currency Include:
1. Ratio of goods/services importation to exportation

2. Availability of currency and number of complying users.

The Illegal illegal printing of currency by the CBN according to as reported by some news media outlets has a long way to desctroy value on our cash.

3. Inflation rate

4. Government debts and federal reserve.

5. Political policies and stability

6. And many more

My Recomendations:
Nigerian government should permanently discontinue and remove 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN currency notes from circulation. Reintroduction of 50 Kobo, 1 NGN and 2 NGN coins should also be done.

A serious government fighting corruption will yield to my advice as abundance of lower denomination currency will discourage looters from hoading and keeping cash in a safe instead of bank.

Caveat emptor:
This writeup is a personal opinion resulting from my many observations. It is not a scholarly work and should not be treated as one. Copy-and-paste bloggers should please reference the link and author of the article.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 16, 2018
Thanks boss. I totally agree with your point also
jaybabs1:

Bros, am a macro economist and I agree perfectly with your opinion. You are well-learned! To add to your point, it is supply and demand forces and deregulation of production or of supplies that create equilibrium. If $1 will be equal to N1 then the amount of $ available or supplied to the Nigerian economy via either Foreign direct investments (FDI) or forex earnings from exportation of products and services demanded by international markets must be at equilibrium with the indices of Nigeria's export-led industrialization or export oriented production.

The higher our export oriented product the more $ will be supplied to purchase these exportable goods and the lesser the exchange rate, Naira gets stronger, more employment is created, GDP increases, and the economy gets all better ...its a chain reaction! The Goverment's part is to provide favourable policies, incentives to production, provide financing platforms and enlighten the masses.

3 Likes

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 16, 2018
Baba, many things dey worry us for this country. Corruption is number one but I believe lack of knowledge is number two. We just have too many educated illiterates in position of power.
But I believe things will change as more young people become policy makers... Na small small but we go reach dere.

pcicero:

A very good head you have on your body. Ori e wa'nbe.

Our problem is that most of our elected leaders do not really have what it takes in terms of knowledge of micro and macro economic theories to take the country higher.

Even when they are surrounded by the best brains in the world as Special assistants/advisers who are often mirred in needless bureaucratic arrangements with the largely incompetent civil service, the result is the backward growth we are experiencing as a nation.

Oftentimes, I wonder if our leaders are truly patriotic.

By the way, I learnt somewhere that in most cases, the directors of finance always end up as Permanent secretaries because they usually have access to more than enough funds to grease their ways to the top.

It is also without gainsaying that our worst always find their ways into the civil service.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 16, 2018
My oga, there are a number of things to consider when looking at currency strength and a lot of people smarter than I ,have made some great contributions.

But I believe having lower denominations in circulation is an effect of having a strong currency rather than what causes a currency to be strong.

Samleen:

You raised some points too but

What I wrote up there is just a basic truth!

Ok, why do other african countries with poorer socio-political and business development have better performing currency than what we have here in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by trillville(m): 12:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
It is great to see so many bright Nairalanders. The only way out for Nigeria is to elect someone born after 1982. These old folks (leaders) will always protect themselves to our detriment.

Not to sound too bookish, "inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon"- Milton Friedman.
Any increase in money supply that is not reflective of an increase in productivity will always and everywhere lead to inflation. This is why some of us argue against an increase in the minimum wage even though we acknowledge the suffering of the masses. An increase in taxes on the rich in society will also provide funds for developing much-needed infrastructure to improve productivity. Finally, a gradual liquidation of government MDA's that provide no goods or services should be carried out to free up much-needed funds for development. In fact apart from necessary regulators, government healthcare providers, security and teachers, all other MDA's should be considered for scrapping. This is how you get 1 naira to equal 1 dollar.

7 Likes

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by LordAdam16: 1:31pm On Feb 16, 2018
Omololu2121:
he didn't promote it during the tenure of OBJ,but during the tenure of yaradua.

Even if we do all wat the op says,the naira will still lose value against the us dollar cause of our weak economy.

Ghana did it,and it has not really change anything

We should redenominate jor.

A currency losing value over time is normal. In the last ten years, naira has only fallen by 250 pc, mostly because of the two oil crises we've had. Between 1997 and 2000, naira fell by over 400%.

The real reason to redenominate tho' is that the cost of printing a N10 note is almost the same as printing a N1000 note. Furthermore, coins last longer than notes, and since the majority of transactions in the economy are made using lower denominations, it makes no sense to use notes exclusively that have a lifespan of about a year.

However, this isn't exactly a priority right now. We've got bigger issues to worry about.

-Lord

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2018
ManirBK:
Mynd44 oam4j lalasticlala we needs your attention here wo!

I wish they listen to you on this call. Having this topic on front page will help get more contributions.

Many people will also get aware of this!

Let me also call their attentions to help move this topic to the front page
mynd44 oam4j and the Birthday Man lalasticlala ( Happy Birthday! )

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by ManirBK: 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:

I wish they listen to you on this call. Having this topic on front page will help get more contributions.

Many people will also get aware of this!

Let me also call their attentions to help move this topic to the front page
mynd44 oam4j and the Birthday Man lalasticlala ( Happy Birthday! )
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by nelklyn(m): 6:25pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:

Japanish Yen JPY  (  1 JPY = 3.4020 NGN  )
Banknotes ¥1000, ¥2000, ¥5000, ¥10,000
Coins ¥1, ¥5, ¥10, ¥50, ¥100, ¥500

1 USD = 105.8455 JPY

Sir, alway check your facts before you make your comments.

When did the poor performing NGN become a stardard of measure of performance for other currency?

If 1JPY = 1 NGN, like you wrote, then the both currencies are poor performing and you should retract your statement of classifying Japanish Yen as part of top performing currencies in the world.

The only point you have is the import/export ratio which has helped the Japanish Yen to perform better than the NGN. It in a way nullify the effect of presence of the high face value e.g. 10,000 JYP currency Notes.

Japan economy is export dependent and they have to make their products affordable hence they take it upon themselves to devalue their currency against other currencies especially the USD through the BoJ's constant intervention in the foreign exchange market plus their interest rate is negative -0.10% to further encourage borrowing.

In fact one of the core aims of the BoJ is to achieve price stability keeping the Yen at a Limit Low and High, thus a currency's exchange rate cannot be used to measure the performance of an economy.

As you pointed out 1NGN is not equal to 1JPY they won't allow that, I mean Nigeria is not even among their trade partners

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Xisnin(m): 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2018
Voodoo Economics.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by gurunlocker: 6:57pm On Feb 16, 2018
Which kind Bullshit outline is this? You think USA will be watching for 1naira to equal 1 dollar? You really think your suggestions will solve the problem? Hell no!

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by pennywys(m): 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2018
Economists in the house oya make una come
Deliberate on this issue

In this case nothing concern me
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Aleora(f): 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2018
seunlayi:

You can only find few worn out 100 naira notes in circulation now
even 10 naira
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by ikorodureporta: 7:03pm On Feb 16, 2018
We can by doing what Ghana did....
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Daviddson(m): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2018
Partly true.

I too have reasoned along this same line several times. Higher denominations contribute to the lowering of the purchasing power of the naira. Imagine if Sanusi had succeeded with that N5000 notes! That'd have been a disaster.
Ben Bruce advised similar thing back in 2015. How I wish we could give it a go.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by DWJOBScom(m): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2018
Omololu2121:

Even if we do all wat the op says,the naira will still lose value against the us dollar cause of our weak economy.

WE still have a good student of history over here
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Koolking(m): 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:
*If government can stop the printing 500 NGN notes and 1,000 NGN notes and officially discontinue its use!

My Recomendations:
Nigerian government should permanently discontinue and remove 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN currency notes from circulation. Reintroduction of 50 Kobo, 1 NGN and 2 NGN coins should also be done.

A serious government fighting corruption will yield to my advice as abundance of lower denomination currency will discourage looters from hoading and keeping cash in a safe instead of bank.

You are somewhat right about the bold statement.

I am wondering what .50, 1.00, 2.00 can buy in Nigeria of nowadays where 100.00 items are even scarce to buy.

Nigerian Pastors will have to pally senators to kill this idea on arrival assuming it's a tenable proposal.

Nice work by the way
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2018
bloodmoneyspita:
there's no 100 naira right now and things hasn't changed, the CBN has silently withdrawn 100 naira in case you guys don't Kno.
I have actually, because the rate at which conductors have been giving me horrible 100naira note is annoying.

2 Likes

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by akigbemaru: 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:

Welcome, lets get started by examinining the top 10 performing currencies in the world to gain necessary insights before drawing our conclusions.

Go back to the list once again and check what's the highest denominations of each currency (and population of users of each currency), You will discover that the top performing currency do not have high face value like we have 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN in Nigeria.

Also, you will notice that the top performing currencies have coins form of currency with denomination of very low face value.

The highest of the denominaton is 1000 Franc followed by 500 EUR. 1000 Franc is not in frequent use and the highest Franc denomination next to it is 200 Frank ( not like 500 NGN as we have here in nigeria ). Also the use of 500 EUR will discontinue this year 2018.

Get a hold on history of exchange rate in Nigerian, you will find out that every introduction of new high denomination currency note has averse advese effect on it.

1. Increase in prints of currency notes with high face value e.g 1000 NGN makes other lower currency of less important and less usefull. This can gradually lead to upgrade of price of goods and services in market.

2. It makes stealing and loothing of cash easier as larger amount of money value can be packed into a very small space.

Why do CBN currently print more high denominational currency alone? Methink its in a bid to enhance hoarding of cash against the comming 2019 general election.

3. 500 NGN and 1000 NGN are no money for the common man, go to the market and examine what denomination are most in use.

4. It's in a way opposing the cashless policy by the federal government of Nigeria.

1. United State of Ameria used to have $500, $1000, $2000 currency notes until December 14, 1945, when the high denominational bills were last printed and officially discontinued on July 14, 1969 by the Federal Reserve System.

2. Europian Central Bank announced on 4 May, 2016 that it would phase out the 500 Euro notes by the end of 2018.

The Illegal illegal printing of currency by the CBN according to as reported by some news media outlets has a long way to desctroy value on our cash.

3. Inflation rate

6. And many more

My Recomendations:

Caveat emptor:
This writeup is a personal opinion resulting from my many observations. It is not a scholarly work and should not be treated as one. Copy-and-paste bloggers should please reference the link and author of the article.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2018
This doesn't make too much sense.

When the cashless policy is well implemented, the purpose of high denomination currency will fade as there will not be pronounced need of them as a way to move much cash.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Ogaonos: 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
Omololu2121:

u rite mak cedi high value 2 other african currencier wich may affect their export 2 africd.wat i propope 4 naira is 2 manipulate d exchange rate 2 anotha currency dt is revalve 2 dollar nd remove few of our goods/service 2 dt currency nd bring america interest.so dt us go turn blind eye d manipulatn since they control imf/world.eg of wat am saying 2onaira to singapore dollar wibh is peg 2 a dollar.den commot few of our import 4rm dollars den 4ward our export 2 africa in d agreement.bbos d import goods wil b reexport 2 w.africa nd central africa
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 16, 2018
Xisnin:
Voodoo Economics.

If you think this is an irrational approach, then what solution will you profer sir?
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Samabu07(m): 7:15pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:

3. Inflation rate

6. And many more

My Recomendations:

Caveat emptor:
You deserve a space in the Nigerian Economy team. Thank you for this analysis.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Cromagnon: 7:15pm On Feb 16, 2018
jaybabs1:

Bros, am a macro economist and I agree perfectly with your opinion. You are well-learned! To add to your point, it is supply and demand forces and deregulation of production or of supplies that create equilibrium. If $1 will be equal to N1 then the amount of $ available or supplied to the Nigerian economy via either Foreign direct investments (FDI) or forex earnings from exportation of products and services demanded by international markets must be at equilibrium with the indices of Nigeria's export-led industrialization or export oriented production.

The higher our export oriented product the more $ will be supplied to purchase these exportable goods and the lesser the exchange rate, Naira gets stronger, more employment is created, GDP increases, and the economy gets all better ...its a chain reaction! The Goverment's part is to provide favourable policies, incentives to production, provide financing platforms and enlighten the masses.
haha you still waiting for these useless elders in gwament to provide environment
you better get on with it and build your own environment

1 Like

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by israelmao(m): 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2018
Good piece of work.There's certain degree of truth to those observations.creative minds are always observant.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Cromagnon: 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2018
CASTOSVILLA:
God help us
God has helped you
the land is green
rain is falling
sun is shining
enter farm

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Ugosample(m): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2018
This is not 100 % true tho

Euro has 500 and 200 notes, yet it is one of the most valuable currencies in the world

It's all about creating value, as long as your country is not creating value, your economy and currency will continue to sink

Ghana redenominated their currency about ten years ago to be about 1 cedi to 1 dollar

Today it's $1 to 4.4 cedis, a 400 % drop in the value of the currency in 10 years

So my man, it's all about creating value.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by firo08(m): 7:18pm On Feb 16, 2018
Nice observation.
Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by EnkayDezign4: 7:19pm On Feb 16, 2018
Ken4Christ:

I do not agree. It will only limit looting but it will have no effect on the exchange rate. The countries you made references to didn't have a terrible economy like Nigeria does.

The major reason why out currency is low in values is because Nigeria is not a producing country. We import virtually everything.

If we want our currency value to appreciate, what we should do is;

1. Ensure all our refineries are working. It will save us lots of foreign exchange.

2. We need an industrial revolution.

3. We need to invest more in Agriculture.

4. Every local government chairman should be productive rather than administrative.

5. Corruption should be punished.

6. Our tax system should be made more effective.

7. Out railway should be developed to reduce cost of transportation of food items.

8. Our borders should be closed. If possible, fence the country round.

Export should exceed import if our currency must appreciate. After all these is done, then we can take away the high currency notes.

we can't just devalue our currency with a non-performing economy and expect it to work. Naija needs an industrial revolution BADLY!

Even South Korea that has a very strong economy and manufactures and exports so many goods to the world, has never devalued it's currency.

5 Likes

Re: The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. by Cromagnon: 7:20pm On Feb 16, 2018
Samleen:

You raised some points too but

What I wrote up there is just a basic truth!

Ok, why do other african countries with poorer socio-political and business development have better performing currency than what we have here in Nigeria?

cos they don't have oil distorting their economy
so they still farm and produce some things
we don't produce anything except food
even the food we are importing cos no one wants to farm again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Puts His N40million Wristwatch In A Fridge (Pictured) / Private Jets Owned By Wealthy Nigerians And Their Costs / What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.