Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

The Coming Revolution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Coming Revolution (710 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / "The Coming Of Buhari's Change Agents" By Garba Shehu (ssa To Buhari) / Safest Cities/states To Stay In Nigeria During The Coming Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Coming Revolution by bilymuse: 1:16pm On Apr 22, 2010
[size=17pt]The coming revolution[/size]

by
Anietie Usen

"My name is Golden Sekibo. I am a Niger-Deltan. I hold a bachelors degree in Political Science and a Masters degree in International Relations. Right now, I am an Okada rider (commercial motorcyclist) in Port Harcourt". The audience froze to a pin-drop silence, as the young man paused to fish out a piece of paper from his breast pocket.

"When I heard about this conference through one of my passengers last week, I promised myself that I would make it to Uyo, even if it meant riding down here on a motorcycle and that is what I have done. I am glad that this conference is a reality, We, in Niger Delta, are a people conquered. We are a people robbed and spoiled. We are enslaved, snared in holes and fair game for all. And there is none to say 'enough-is-enough'." A loud applause ceased the hall, as he waited almost calmly for the uproar to subside. "Let those who have ears listen to me: Revolution is not made, it comes. It is coming soon in Niger Delta. Those who make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable, Anger was palpable in his tone and the same feeling permeated the entire hall.

Nothing in Sekibo's carriage or comportment had suggested he was educated and nothing about him prepared the packed hall of academia, politicians, diplomats, businessmen and journalists for the dynamite the young man would unleash. He looked haggard like a typical motorcycle-taxi driver. His trousers were faded and his shirt thread-bare. He had only managed to get the microphone when a chance was given to the audience to ask questions at the end of a paper by one of the key speakers. In only three minutes, he x-rayed the despoiled condition of the Niger-Delta, blasted the leadership of the region for the historic betrayal of a people in exchange for personal crumbs and provoked the consciences of not a few. He was not alone.

Thrice, when George-Hill Anthony, President, Commonwealth of Niger-Delta youths for peace spoke and when James Essien, a lawyer and Mrs. Victoria Udoh, an American-based educationists spoke, I saw men fighting back tears with little or no success. Anthony told a story of a Niger-Delta village, where local folks sneak early enough in the morning to scavenge garbage heaps of oil company workers and are depending solely on these left-overs to feed their children. He narrated sordid story of blood and death in the hands of cruel security agents posted to ensure free and uninterrupted flow of crude oil in Bayelsa villages. Ben Chuke, the Minister of Special Projects in the Presidency could not help but acknowledge " the reality of this suffering" of the Niger-Delta people. Though not a Niger-Deltan, he himself told a story of how he visited the home town of Bayelsa State governor, Alamasigha from Yenogoa, the capital city and how what could have been a one hour return trip became seven-hour ordeal on impossible road. Yet, I can say, these were just the appetizers.

The stage was the first international conference on Niger-Delta held last week in Uyo, the bustling capital city of Akwa Ibom State. I would not have forgiven myself if I did not find time to be at that conference. It was for many the singular most important event in the Niger Delta region in recent years. For three straight days, breaking of oil pipelines, uprooting of drilling installations and kidnapping of oil company workers gave way to breath-taking intellectual interpretation and repositioning of the oil-rich but poverty stricken region.

Not that thousands of Niger-Deltans that thronged the venue of the conference thought little of the courageous role of militant youths but that they needed to back their struggle with a sound and well-articulated blue print for integration, development, cooperation and sustainable peace in the region. Sponsored by the governments of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, Rivers and Cross River states under the auspices of Integrated Development Initiative, a non- governmental organisation, it drew the best of minds in various development issues from as far as United States and attracted the officials and interests of UNDP, UNESCO and Ford Foundation.

The first day was akin to walking the political minefield. Senate President Pius Anyim and Speaker of the House Representatives, Ghali Na'Abba, who sent strong delegations led by Senate Deputy Whip, Ibok Essien and south-south caucus leader in the House Ndueso Essien; washed their hands off the problem of the region and pointed accusing fingers instead on the Presidency. Anyim said, the National Assembly had made every attempt through the NDDC Act as well as in past and present Appropriation Acts to ensure that the region receives its legitimate entitlement but for the Presidency which claims to be wiser than all the membership of the National Assembly put together.

Governor Victor Attah of Akwa Ibom State, the chief host, in a keynote address, warned against the danger of divide and rule. Waxing metaphorical, he said: "The broom is a fitting lesson in the concept of unity and strength, A broom stick is easy to break, But any energy (directed) at breaking a bundle of broom is dissipated, We must remain bound in this struggle, no matter the odds."

Yet nearly half of the governors in the core Niger Delta were neither present at the conference nor represented. Speaker after speaker blasted the absentee governors for either lack of seriousness and loyalty to the cause of the region or being lackeys of some vested interest. Apart from the Bayelsa State governor who had representatives throughout the conference, Delta State made strong representation with a delegation of House of Assembly members. But Rivers State, one the closest neigbours of Akwa Ibom was visibly absent at governmental level. Angry delegates and participants from the state could not resist the temptation to speak about their government with unkind words. After Senator David Dafinone, a prominent son of the region delivered his paper on "Niger-Delta: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow," someone queried him on the leadership problem" in the region. His answer was sharp and terse. "All I can say is that Jesus came to serve and Judas came to steal and betray" Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye, Chairman of that session agreed with him and said some governors of the region were gambling with the destiny of the region.

The conference went ahead to deliberate on oil companies and the regions environment; human right violation; options for prospective investors. In a session chaired by General Edet Akpan (rtd), former NYSC director general, Dr. Esohe V. Molokwu, the Regional coordinator of UNESCO in Nigeria, said all the four ecological zones of Niger-Delta "have been systematically degraded and in some cases destroyed" Molukwu, like all other key speakers, out-lined detailed options and solutions available to the region in the short and long term.

Mike Ozekhome's paper of legislating for integration, development and growth, was one of the star papers. But beyond that it almost cause an instant uprising as delegates especially those from youth organisations rose up and loudly demanded for an end to injustice in the region. Said one angry contributor from the audience: If the oil wealth of Nigeria was in Sokoto, Ogun or Zamfara, how many people in Niger Delta would be allowed to get to the top.

It was the same session that Professor Akpan Ekpo, Vice Chancellor of the University of Uyo, presented another star paper on Investment Opportunities: Options for Perspective Investors, while Professor Calestine Bassey of the University of Calabar presented a paper on Imperatives of Federalism, Resources Control and Grassroot Economic Empowerment. The subject of resource control became explosive. Professor Bassey said resource control was at the root of war in Katanga and in Columbia. He reduced the constant political battle in Nigeria between the three majority tribes to a fight for the control of oil wealth. "If there is anything that the three major Nigerian tribes have agree, it is the federal control of crude oil money.

Other issues as capacity building and skill acquisition as well as education for survival in Niger Delta were tabled and discussed by such international speakers as Dr. Uduak Udofia, Dr. Amaechi Nzekwe, Dr. A. A. Ikoiwak and Dr. Ekeng Anam-ndu.

At the end, virtually all the multifaceted problems of the region were examined documented and solution proffered.

At least 10 consultation committees were set up to fine-tune the blue prints and draw up the work plan on specific development issue. This should be a treasure to the region as it struggles to free itself from the stranglehold of indigenous colonialism.

The writer sent this piece in from Uyo, Akwa Ibom State , Nigeria

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/tarticles/the%20coming%20revolution.htm
Re: The Coming Revolution by otawa: 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2010
The coming revolution, in Nigeria? forget about it.

The only coming revolution is a few more money in their pocket and all is well.
Re: The Coming Revolution by candylips(m): 1:53pm On Apr 22, 2010
lol. Their mouth will be shut with plenty money very soon. Revolution indeed

(1) (Reply)

ff / Babangida Must Not Return! / Reps Members Exchange Blows, Melaye, Others Suspended For 1 Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.