Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions (2639 Views)

10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 / 2018 FG Scholarship Awards For Students In Nigerian Tertiary Institution / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by YhungPablo(m): 12:54pm On Feb 18, 2018
There have been series of arguments
about the superiority of some courses
in Nigerian Tertiary institutions: some
students feel their course of study is
more important and special than
others. Don’t worry, I’m not here to
bore you with my opinion about that-
maybe I will put that forward another
day.
Some courses, students or departments
in our schools have been facing this
inferiority tag. Because of this, some
lose interest in their course or
ashamed but we still have the proud
ones who don’t care. I still don’t know
what people see wrong with these
courses that they tend to underrate but
here is the list:
The 5 Most Underrated Courses in
Nigerian Tertiary Institutions are

1. History
People don’t just see reasons why
someone will go and spend four years
or more to study past events. History
students are always tagged archaic;
their discussions and studies are
always based on passed dates and
events. You might be tempted to feel
superior to someone who all what he
has to offer is events that happened
even before Christ (BC) in this 21st
century.

2. Agriculture
Agriculture students are popularly
called “farmers”. I don’t know why
people look down on this course?
Maybe because you always see them in
campus with farming tools and in their
farm. I am sure others undermine
them because they are naive about the
fortune they can make with the
knowledge of the course. People are
going back to Agriculture and
embracing it daily, so I believe this
should be out of this list soon.

3. Nigerian Languages
“Hey babe! What Course are you
studying in school?” and her reply was
“Yoruba Language”. My friend bursted
into laughter telling me why didn’t she
just go to a typical village and mingle
with the villagers to learn their
language, instead of coming to school.
Students studying Nigerian Languages
faces this downgrade almost every day
in school.

4. Education Courses
Because of the poor treatments being
accoladed to teachers in Nigeria,
students studying any education course
are degraded-students see them as
another “suffer head” teacher to be.
They have forgotten that without
teachers, they won’t be where they are
presently and we now have successful
teachers making it big.

5. Zoology/Botany
Zoology and Botany are different
branches of Biology and what they do
is to study plants and animals. Because
zoology is related with “Zoo”, other
students assumes all the students
studying it will end up in the Zoo.
Do you agree with this List? – Drop
your Comments.

More updates at https://studentsbase.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 12:58pm On Feb 18, 2018
Op remove agriculture and add sociology and physics.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by mozele(m): 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
Abdulnur:

lols. You got to be kidding me! Those are even some of the most populated departments in my school with over 300 students in a class.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 18, 2018
Religion and cultural studies.
NLanders will be like, this course is the cause of our national problem.
Scrap it!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Davedgr8(m): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2018
Abdulnur:
you must be a Jambite
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by encryptjay(m): 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
Education courses are so looked down upon.
Nigerians need counselling; they need psychologists.
Come to fitness and understanding your bodies and staying healthy, you need Health educators. You love Ronaldo but hate courses that assist with fitness.
We ought to change our mindset towards courses that we don't like.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by SonOfEl(m): 3:58pm On Feb 18, 2018
YhungPablo:
There have been series of arguments
about the superiority of some courses
in Nigerian Tertiary institutions: some
students feel their course of study is
more important and special than
others. Don’t worry, I’m not here to
bore you with my opinion about that-
maybe I will put that forward another
day.
Some courses, students or departments
in our schools have been facing this
inferiority tag. Because of this, some
lose interest in their course or
ashamed but we still have the proud
ones who don’t care. I still don’t know
what people see wrong with these
courses that they tend to underrate but
here is the list:
The 5 Most Underrated Courses in
Nigerian Tertiary Institutions are

1. History
People don’t just see reasons why
someone will go and spend four years
or more to study past events. History
students are always tagged archaic;
their discussions and studies are
always based on passed dates and
events. You might be tempted to feel
superior to someone who all what he
has to offer is events that happened
even before Christ (BC) in this 21st
century.

2. Agriculture
Agriculture students are popularly
called “farmers”. I don’t know why
people look down on this course?
Maybe because you always see them in
campus with farming tools and in their
farm. I am sure others undermine
them because they are naive about the
fortune they can make with the
knowledge of the course. People are
going back to Agriculture and
embracing it daily, so I believe this
should be out of this list soon.

3. Nigerian Languages
“Hey babe! What Course are you
studying in school?” and her reply was
“Yoruba Language”. My friend bursted
into laughter telling me why didn’t she
just go to a typical village and mingle
with the villagers to learn their
language, instead of coming to school.
Students studying Nigerian Languages
faces this downgrade almost every day
in school.

4. Education Courses
Because of the poor treatments being
accoladed to teachers in Nigeria,
students studying any education course
are degraded-students see them as
another “suffer head” teacher to be.
They have forgotten that without
teachers, they won’t be where they are
presently and we now have successful
teachers making it big.

5. Zoology/Botany
Zoology and Botany are different
branches of Biology and what they do
is to study plants and animals. Because
zoology is related with “Zoo”, other
students assumes all the students
studying it will end up in the Zoo.
Do you agree with this List? – Drop
your Comments.

More updates at https://studentsbase.

1. Agriculture? Really? Do you know about the course called FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY?
cocacola, nestle, uac foods, 7up, OK foods, gsk, NAFDAC, Promasidor, Guinness, wamco foods, erisco foods, dufil, the list is just endless. These food industries and agencies employ students from that department... Only foolish youths underrate Agriculture.

2. Education courses are relatively gaining some grounds now, particularly SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (MATHS, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY, BASIC SCIENCE, etc) EDUCATION. For teachers, higher degrees and working location are the main factors that brings more cash. Lecturers own houses and drive solid cars, college teachers in urban centres make moderate income coupled with a free time to run other businesses.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Deckline(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2018
Philosophy nko? Worst course ever in Nigeria today. Guidance and counselling. These "curses" weak me.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2018
Davedgr8:
you must be a Jambite

No sir, ijmbite. You must be a Jambite.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 4:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
mozele:

lols. You got to be kidding me! Those are even some of the most populated departments in my school with over 300 students in a class.

You're talking of a single uni. The topic is about Nigeria as a whole.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Davedgr8(m): 4:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
Abdulnur:

No sir, ijmbite. You must be a Jambite.
I see. And no, I'm in my finals.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2018
Davedgr8:
I see. And no, I'm in my finals.
Best of lucks over there.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by YhungPablo(m): 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
SonOfEl:

1. Agriculture? Really? Do you know about the course called FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY?
cocacola, nestle, uac foods, 7up, OK foods, gsk, NAFDAC, Promasidor, Guinness, wamco foods, erisco foods, dufil, the list is just endless. These food industries and agencies employ students from that department... Only foolish youths underrate Agriculture.

2. Education courses are relatively gaining some grounds now, particularly SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (MATHS, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY, BASIC SCIENCE, etc) EDUCATION. For teachers, higher degrees and working location are the main factors that brings more cash. Lecturers own houses and drive solid cars, college teachers in urban centres make moderate income coupled with a free time to run other businesses.
can you compare those course's with only Medicine or Mech.Engr.?FP please Lalasticlala
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Davedgr8(m): 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2018
Abdulnur:
Best of lucks over there.
Thank you. And you too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Imprida(f): 6:54pm On Feb 18, 2018
building technology

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by jericco1(m): 7:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
no comments. it doesn't matter what you study. I'm a theatre art student currently in my final year and people tend to think all we do is to dance. lol but that is a pure nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 7:29pm On Feb 18, 2018
jericco1:
no comments. it doesn't matter what you study. I'm a theatre art student currently in my final year and people tend to think all we do is to dance. lol but that is a pure nonsense.

Exactly. We're all spectators of other courses and as a result, we think Nutritionists are thought to cook while political scientists are groomed to be political leaders. I don't know how op defines under ratio, cos all the courses he mentioned are highly competitive in my university.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by jericco1(m): 7:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
Abdulnur:

Exactly. We're all spectators of other courses and as a result, we think Nutritionists are thought to cook while political scientists are groomed to be political leaders. I don't know how op defines under ratio, cos all the courses he mentioned are highly competitive in my university.

he's myopic

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Abdulnur(m): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2018
jericco1:

he's myopic

You know, we bloggers write at any cost, irrespective of the accuracy of the info.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by SonOfEl(m): 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2018
YhungPablo:
can you compare those course's with only Medicine or Mech.Engr.?FP please Lalasticlala

Medicine i.e. 'medical doctor' is lucrative but overrated. Nutritionist/Dietitians and pharmacists are taking over not only prophylactic medicine but also therapeutic medicine as well.

Mech. Engineering are losing their shine because they have no base in Nigeria. How many automobile factories do we have in Nigeria? Mech engineering are busy rubbing shoulders with mechanical technicians (mechanics)
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by YhungPablo(m): 3:07pm On Feb 20, 2018
SonOfEl:

Medicine i.e. 'medical doctor' is lucrative but overrated. Nutritionist/Dietitians and pharmacists are taking over not only prophylactic medicine but also therapeutic medicine as well.

Mech. Engineering are losing their shine because they have no base in Nigeria. How many automobile factories do we have in Nigeria? Mech engineering are busy rubbing shoulders with mechanical technicians (mechanics)
OK cool

(1) (Reply)

Fight At UNICAL Female Hostel..all Entrance Locked / Online Exam In Nigeria / Help For Your Purchase Of Unaab Admission List Checker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.