Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! (13086 Views)

My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / How To Switch To A Career In Data Analysis / I Found My Profession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Hassanabioduna(m): 9:26am On Feb 20, 2018
jobbitto:
Hello guys, my name is Fabian, a graduate of surveying and geoinformatics, now a graphic designer. I have worked with many companies here in Lagos. Companies i have worked with. i got through this forum. Thanks to Nairaland.

I want to switch back to what i studied but i am confused. Last month i went for an interview on the island, after the interview, the HR of the company told me that he would advise me to go back to the east and practice my profession because surveying is very lucrative there. On that note, he didnt give me the job haven passed the interview.

The HR said he too studied surveying and he is regretting why he didnt practise but advices people who studied same to go practise.

Because of this, I am now thinking if maybe i am wasting my time in what i do since what i studied as he said is lucrative.

Please i need advise on what to do.

Mr. Seun, please help me. I really need your advise and the advise of others.

Thank you.

What the HR said is true, go back, u can be doing ur pupilage and still be doing ur graphic design too, it's not all the time u will be going to site. One of the speakers at NIS Lagos 2015 AGM said " if u want to make money go into buying and selling but if u want prestige, try to rise to the top of ur profession "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 20, 2018
That was a subtle and polite way of refusing you the job and asking you to leave Lagos.

Is south east the only place that surveying is booming? Why didn’t he advice you to relocate to Abuja, Portharcourt, Kano, Nasarawa, Ogun state.
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Donpoker9(m): 9:37am On Feb 20, 2018
jobbitto:
I know i would av to write surcon exam before becoming registered, and i wish to write although i am nt yet financially ok to take the exam. Before i switched to graphics i had looked for survey firms in lagos to work with and all i get from those firms is, there is no much job here. For me to enrol for pupilage, wont i work under a surveyor?

For you to enroll for pupilage, you have to work under a registered surveyor for two years.

The question now is what do you want?
You really have to make this decision for yourself. .
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by eezeribe(m): 9:55am On Feb 20, 2018
Old man that does not know what he wants in life... Pathetic
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by kissdaniel37: 9:55am On Feb 20, 2018
Earn a career as a mixologist!
Free cocktail videos!
* Training is FREE!!
*Certificate and handout are on request.
Date: 24/02/18.
Venue:Tivoli Residence and Hotels.
10, Fatai Irawo Street, Off Ajao Estate, Airport rd, Oshodi Lagos.
Time:10am.

Note: Restaurant Management Training(for Waiters & Waitress) comes up in March 2018.

Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by anyicash(m): 9:57am On Feb 20, 2018
Do both
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 20, 2018
ucheuzor1:
as far as I know, quantity surveying is a very lucrative course...I have seen so many rich men in Warri here, they are all surveyors. some work with ministry while some own their own firm.

my advice is practice what u studied. sometimes changing environment is very necessary. it mustn't be Lagos.

bro dnt confuse d two. quantity surveying is different from surveying and geoinformatic
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 20, 2018
akeentech:
YOUR VILLAGE PEOPLE WILL BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOU BACK. VILLAGE PEOPLE USING THE HR TO CONVEY THEIR MESSAGE.

guy no kill me abeg grin
akeentech:
YOUR VILLAGE PEOPLE WILL BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOU BACK. VILLAGE PEOPLE USING THE HR TO CONVEY THEIR MESSAGE.

guy no kill me abeg
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by chibjohn(m): 10:41am On Feb 20, 2018
I have a surveyor friend in the east and the guy makes money. If you switch back, you may not start making money immediately. Its a profession that requires time to build the clientele that will propel you.
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by peculi(f): 10:50am On Feb 20, 2018
For you to fully practise the profession, you must be registerd. Keep up with your work and save enough money for the professional journey.....

proudly a Surveyor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by jobbitto(m): 10:57am On Feb 20, 2018
TRW Consult, 1 african church close, ilupeju, lagos
Arthurmillz:

Bro can you link me with any of the companies you worked as a Graphics designer? Will really appreciate
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by jobbitto(m): 11:10am On Feb 20, 2018
Hi, i just sent u a mail
opalu:
When you mix your Profession (Surveying) plus Passion (Graphic design) you would become a Hotcake.
For instance a Housing Development company like ours can give you a work to do both Surveying and Designing.
However you would be under a more experienced Surveyor who would teach you the basics. What I can tell you is that you condition your mind that you are not working for money because you are starting a PRACTICAL TRAINING. Mistake that most inexperienced jobseekers make is to be demanding for the salary of highly experienced professionals. Work to learn not work for money. Final advice:- Don't go back to the east until you have mastered your field in the city.
Send your CV to daystarshelter@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by benniearinze: 12:48pm On Feb 20, 2018
My brother, I'll give you my honest advice.

No.1: No matter what you do, stay away from the east as much as you can. Ignore at your own peril.

No.2: My dad is an estate surveyor here in onitsha and he still regrets not moving over to lagos or abuja when he had the chance.

No.3: I'm a computer scientist so I think I can help u analyse this situation. As a graphic designer, your opportunities are endless. In the world of today, the digital way of doing things has taken over giving way to things like digital marketing etc.

If you use YouTube on a regular basis, you would've noticed that almost every video starts with an advert. These are adverts from companies willing to pay video animators and editors huge amounts of money to create very compelling and creative adverts for them.

My advise: Expand your knowledge, learn more about photography, video editing and animation. Be very excellent in these. You can even open up your own advert agency where you create very nice video ads for companies and get paid.

Pro tip: You can even align yourself to digital marketing agencies. They need people like these a lot and outsource them a great deal. Prove to them you're good at what you do and watch your business grow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by pedrilo: 1:25pm On Feb 20, 2018
so u mean u dnt knw wat u r to do wit ur life?
aye mi te mi ba mi!
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by akaahs(m): 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2018
Hmmmmm, just last week Friday i received a message from one business center like that to come nd start work as a graphic designer, i spend d weekend thinking nd asking myself serious questions on whether to resume work or just focus on my passion as civil engr. Last last i have to abandon d graphics design work as i only learn it for d cash.
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Arthurmillz(m): 2:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
jobbitto:
TRW Consult, 1 african church close, ilupeju, lagos
Thanko bro. Any contact details? And any hint about what the pay is like? Pardon all my questions sir smiley
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by Arthurmillz(m): 2:35pm On Feb 20, 2018
benniearinze:
My brother, I'll give you my honest advice.

No.1: No matter what you do, stay away from the east as much as you can. Ignore at your own peril.

No.2: My dad is an estate surveyor here in onitsha and he still regrets not moving over to lagos or abuja when he had the chance.

No.3: I'm a computer scientist so I think I can help u analyse this situation. As a graphic designer, your opportunities are endless. In the world of today, the digital way of doing things has taken over giving way to things like digital marketing etc.

If you use YouTube on a regular basis, you would've noticed that almost every video starts with an advert. These are adverts from companies willing to pay video animators and editors huge amounts of money to create very compelling and creative adverts for them.

My advise: Expand your knowledge, learn more about photography, video editing and animation. Be very excellent in these. You can even open up your own advert agency where you create very nice video ads for companies and get paid.

Pro tip: You can even align yourself to digital marketing agencies. They need people like these a lot and outsource them a great deal. Prove to them you're good at what you do and watch your business grow
I totally agree with this. I'm a freelance graphics designer currently developing myself in 2D animation with Adobe after effects even though I studied Geology. You just inspired me to put in more effort! It certainly feels more rewarding
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by jobbitto(m): 5:44pm On Feb 20, 2018
Simbiat-08158416441, salary 5ok and above. Depends on how u bid
Arthurmillz:

Thanko bro. Any contact details? And any hint about what the pay is like? Pardon all my questions sir smiley
Re: I Want To Switch Back To My Profession But I'm Confused. Help! by benniearinze: 8:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
Arthurmillz:

I totally agree with this. I'm a freelance graphics designer currently developing myself in 2D animation with Adobe after effects even though I studied Geology. You just inspired me to put in more effort! It certainly feels more rewarding

Bro just be the best of what you are and watch money be ur doormat... You won't regret it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share Your First Day At Work Experience. / Aero Airline Sacks 60% Of Workers / Only 20 Out Of 85 Directors Passed Perm Sec Promotion Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.