Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature (4178 Views)

If God Is An All Knowing God, Why Did He Regret Creating Man ? / The All Knowing, All Powerful And All Loving God? / Is God Really Omniscient (All-Knowing)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by chrisd(m): 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2006
Make a short summary the result and why
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by nferyn(m): 8:48am On Jan 10, 2006
@ chrisd
Just an interesting article by Carl Zimmer on the thing your geneticist friend is working on (if I understood correctly)
http://carlzimmer.com/articles/2006/articles_2006_Lynch.html
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by nferyn(m): 9:14am On Jan 10, 2006
chrisd:

I tell you, considering physicists here, that some came up with ideas and concepts that fell ouside the scope of rational scrutiny, yet were proven right. Example is non conservation of energy and parity violation.
The source of your hypothesis does not need to be rational. The investigation thereof however does need to be rational. The scientific method is entirely rational.

I can understand that in physics it must sometimes be very hard to operationalise and test your concepts.
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by chrisd(m): 10:27am On Jan 10, 2006
Scientific method, what scientific method. Is more like are really.

I began to think, what else is there that we believe? (And I thought then about the witch doctors, and how easy it would have been to check on them by noticing that nothing really worked.) So I found things that even more people believe, such as that we have some knowledge of how to educate. There are big schools of reading methods and mathematics methods, and so forth, but if you notice, you'll see the reading scores keep going down--or hardly going up--in spite of the fact that we continually use these same people to improve the methods. There's a witch doctor remedy that doesn't work. It ought to be looked into; how do they know that their method should work? Another example is how to treat criminals. We obviously have made no progress--lots of theory, but no progress--in decreasing the amount of crime by the method that we use to handle criminals.

Yet these things are said to be scientific. We study them. And I think ordinary people with commonsense ideas are intimidated by this pseudoscience. A teacher who has some good idea of how to teach her children to read is forced by the school system to do it some other way--or is even fooled by the school system into thinking that her method is not necessarily a good one. Or a parent of bad boys, after disciplining them in one way or another, feels guilty for the rest of her life because she didn't do "the right thing," according to the experts.

So we really ought to look into theories that don't work, and science that isn't science.

I think the educational and psychological studies I mentioned are examples of what I would like to call cargo cult science. In the South American Seas there is a cargo cult of people. During the war they saw airplanes with lots of good materials, and they want the same thing to happen now. So they've arranged to make things like runways, to put fires along the sides of the runways, to make a wooden hut for a man to sit in, with two wooden pieces on his head to headphones and bars of bamboo sticking out like antennas--he's the controller--and they wait for the airplanes to land. They're doing everything right. The form is perfect. It looks exactly the way it looked before. But it doesn't work. No airplanes land. So I call these things cargo cult science, because they follow all the apparent precepts and forms of scientific investigation, but they're missing something essential, because the planes don't land.

Now it behooves me, of course, to tell you what they're missing. But it would be just about as difficult to explain to the South Sea islanders how they have to arrange things so that they get some wealth in their system. It is not something simple like telling them how to improve the shapes of the earphones. But there is one feature I notice that is generally missing in cargo cult science. That is the idea that we all hope you have learned in studying science in school--we never say explicitly what this is, but just hope that you catch on by all the examples of scientific investigation. It is interesting, therefore, to bring it out now and speak of it explicitly. It's a kind of scientific integrity, a principle of scientific thought that corresponds to a kind of utter honesty--a kind of leaning over backwards. For example, if you're doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid--not only what you think is right about it: other causes that could possibly explain your results; and things you thought of that you've eliminated by some other experiment, and how they worked--to make sure the other fellow can tell they have been eliminated.
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by chrisd(m): 10:43am On Jan 10, 2006
I would like to add something that's not essential to the science, but something I kind of believe, which is that you should not fool the layman when you're talking as a scientist. I am not trying to tell you what to do about cheating on your wife, or fooling your girlfriend, or something like that, when you're not trying to be a scientist, but just trying to be an ordinary human being. We'll leave those problems up to you and your priest/pastor/rabbi. I'm talking about a specific, extra type of integrity that is not lying, but bending over backwards to show how you're maybe wrong, that you ought to have when acting as a scientist. And this is our responsibility as scientists, certainly to other scientists, and I think to laymen.

For example, I was a little surprised when I was talking to a friend who was going to go on the radio. He does work on cosmology and astronomy, and he wondered how he would explain what the applications of his work were. "Well," I said, "there aren't any." He said, "Yes, but then we won't get support for more research of this kind." I think that's kind of dishonest. If you're representing yourself as a scientist, then you should explain to the layman what you're doing-- and if they don't support you under those circumstances, then that's their decision.

One example of the principle is this: If you've made up your mind to test a theory, or you want to explain some idea, you should always decide to publish it whichever way it comes out. If we only publish results of a certain kind, we can make the argument look good. We must publish BOTH kinds of results.

I say that's also important in giving certain types of government advice. Supposing someone asked you for advice about whether drilling a hole should be done in a particular place; and you decide it would be better in some other place. If you don't publish such a result, it seems to me you're not giving scientific advice. You're being used. If your answer happens to come out in the direction the government or the politicians like, they can use it as an argument in their favor; if it comes out the other way, they don't publish at all. That's not giving scientific advice.
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by nferyn(m): 11:15am On Jan 10, 2006
chrisd:

Scientific method, what scientific method. Is more like are really.
If you're talking about social sciences, you do have a point, but that has got more to do with the quality of the people entering the field than anything else. I could write a book about my experiences with some professors that knew how to play the publis-or-perish game very wll, but had basically nothing to say. It is the reason I started working in the private sector instead of going for an academic career.
Fortunately, you have less of this kind of probelms in the exact sciences

chrisd:

I began to think, what else is there that we believe? (And I thought then about the witch doctors, and how easy it would have been to check on them by noticing that nothing really worked.) So I found things that even more people believe, such as that we have some knowledge of how to educate. There are big schools of reading methods and mathematics methods, and so forth, but if you notice, you'll see the reading scores keep going down--or hardly going up--in spite of the fact that we continually use these same people to improve the methods. There's a witch doctor remedy that doesn't work. It ought to be looked into; how do they know that their method should work? Another example is how to treat criminals. We obviously have made no progress--lots of theory, but no progress--in decreasing the amount of crime by the method that we use to handle criminals.
Yes, but here you're looking at the problem in isolation. Teaching methods my have improved, but there is more to learning than the strict school environment. And pedagogy is one of the softest applied sciences you can find (i would hardly call he field scientific).
Concerning how to treat criminals you're again talking about one of the softest [i]sciences [/i]you can find. Again, I wouldn't call criminology scientific. They may sometimes use statistics, but that's as far as it goes.

In both cases, they shun the use of the recent findings of evolutionary psycology (or sociobiology if you fancy that name) and neuroscience.

chrisd:

Yet these things are said to be scientific. We study them. And I think ordinary people with commonsense ideas are intimidated by this pseudoscience. A teacher who has some good idea of how to teach her children to read is forced by the school system to do it some other way--or is even fooled by the school system into thinking that her method is not necessarily a good one. Or a parent of bad boys, after disciplining them in one way or another, feels guilty for the rest of her life because she didn't do "the right thing," according to the experts.
You are so right on that one. The expertise of these so-called experts is founded on hot air in many cases. E.g. t's amazing how much many psychologist stil rever Freud and how psycho-analysis is sugarcoated in a scientific
sauce

chrisd:

So we really ought to look into theories that don't work, and science that isn't science.

I think the educational and psychological studies I mentioned are examples of what I would like to call cargo cult science. In the South American Seas there is a cargo cult of people. During the war they saw airplanes with lots of good materials, and they want the same thing to happen now. So they've arranged to make things like runways, to put fires along the sides of the runways, to make a wooden hut for a man to sit in, with two wooden pieces on his head to headphones and bars of bamboo sticking out like antennas--he's the controller--and they wait for the airplanes to land. They're doing everything right. The form is perfect. It looks exactly the way it looked before. But it doesn't work. No airplanes land. So I call these things cargo cult science, because they follow all the apparent precepts and forms of scientific investigation, but they're missing something essential, because the planes don't land.
Nice story. Good analogy

chrisd:

Now it behooves me, of course, to tell you what they're missing. But it would be just about as difficult to explain to the South Sea islanders how they have to arrange things so that they get some wealth in their system. It is not something simple like telling them how to improve the shapes of the earphones. But there is one feature I notice that is generally missing in cargo cult science. That is the idea that we all hope you have learned in studying science in school--we never say explicitly what this is, but just hope that you catch on by all the examples of scientific investigation. It is interesting, therefore, to bring it out now and speak of it explicitly. It's a kind of scientific integrity, a principle of scientific thought that corresponds to a kind of utter honesty--a kind of leaning over backwards.
Integrity is the key point here. Social sciences allow you to muddle the waters way too easily by using jargon.

chrisd:

For example, if you're doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid--not only what you think is right about it: other causes that could possibly explain your results; and things you thought of that you've eliminated by some other experiment, and how they worked--to make sure the other fellow can tell they have been eliminated.
If you're in an experimental context, it is far easier to control for these factors. E.g. sociology does not give you that kind of luxury. It is paramount that your paradigmatical assumptions are very explicit in the construction of your quesionnaires and that you insert enough control points to test for the validity of these assumptions.

But then again, I think it has more to do with the general quality of the people entering the field than with a lack of integrity on the part of the participants.
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by chrisd(m): 11:28am On Jan 10, 2006
That's just what you think. Consider this.

When I was at Cornell, I often talked to the people in the psychology department. One of the students told me she wanted to do an experiment that went something like this--it had been found by others that under certain circumstances, X, rats did something, A. She was curious as to whether, if she changed the circumstances to Y, they would still do A. So her proposal was to do the experiment under circumstances Y and see if they still did A.

I explained to her that it was necessary first to repeat in her laboratory the experiment of the other person--to do it under condition X to see if she could also get result A, and then change to Y and see if A changed. Then she would know the the real difference was the thing she thought she had under control.

She was very delighted with this new idea, and went to her professor. And his reply was, no, you cannot do that, because the experiment has already been done and you would be wasting time.

For example, there have been many experiments running rats through all kinds of mazes, and so on--with little clear result. But in 1937 a man named Young did a very interesting one. He had a long corridor with doors all along one side where the rats came in, and doors along the other side where the food was. He wanted to see if he could train the rats to go in at the third door down from wherever he started them off.
No. The rats went immediately to the door where the food had been the time before.

The question was, how did the rats know, because the corridor was so beautifully built and so uniform, that this was the same door as before? Obviously there was something about the door that was different from the other doors. So he painted the doors very carefully, arranging the textures on the faces of the doors exactly the same. Still the rats could tell. Then he thought maybe the rats were smelling the food, so he used chemicals to change the smell after each run. Still the rats could tell. Then he realized the rats might be able to tell by seeing the lights and the arrangement in the laboratory like any commonsense person. So he covered the corridor, and still the rats could tell.

He finally found that they could tell by the way the floor sounded when they ran over it. And he could only fix that by putting his corridor in sand. So he covered one after another of all possible clues and finally was able to fool the rats so that they had to learn to go in the third door. If he relaxed any of his conditions, the rats could tell.

Now, from a scientific standpoint, that is an A-number-one experiment. That is the experiment that makes rat-running experiments sensible, because it uncovers that clues that the rat is really using-- not what you think it's using. And that is the experiment that tells exactly what conditions you have to use in order to be careful and control everything in an experiment with rat-running.

I looked up the subsequent history of this research. The next experiment, and the one after that, never referred to Mr. Young. They never used any of his criteria of putting the corridor on sand, or being very careful. They just went right on running the rats in the same old way, and paid no attention to the great discoveries of Mr. Young, and his papers are not referred to, because he didn't discover anything about the rats. In fact, he discovered all the things you have to do to discover something about rats. But not paying attention to experiments like that is a characteristic example of cargo cult science.

Another example is the ESP experiments of Mr. Rhine, and other people. As various people have made criticisms--and they themselves have made criticisms of their own experiements--they improve the techniques so that the effects are smaller, and smaller, and smaller until they gradually disappear. All the para-psychologists are looking for some experiment that can be repeated--that you can do again and get the same effect--statistically, even. They run a million rats--no, it's people this time--they do a lot of things are get a certain statistical effect. Next time they try it they don't get it any more. And now you find a man saying that is is an irrelevant demand to expect a repeatable experiment. This is science?

This man also speaks about a new institution, in a talk in which he was resigning as Director of the Institute of Parapsychology. And, in telling people what to do next, he says that one of things they have to do is be sure the only train students who have shown their ability to get PSI results to an acceptable extent--not to waste their time on those ambitious and interested students who get only chance results. It is very dangerous to have such a policy in teaching--to teach students only how to get certain results, rather than how to do an experiment with scientific integrity.
Re: Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature by fuzek: 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2007
I think we should consider the following;

God's predestination for a man is just his Intention but not his Decision. Because of the freewill (Choice), dat he gives to us, we (man) collaborates/woks together with God to make his Intention for man a Decision.

Example, Jesus. . . it was his pre-destination to come,die &resurrect to redeem and reconcile man back to God, and when the time came for the scripture/ pre-destination to be fulfilled, even Jesus said in Mark14:36. . . Abba Father, all things are possible with you, take away this cup from me, nevertheless not my will but your will be done.

From d above, Christs' pre-destination was to die on the cross to reconcile man wit GOD which was God's Intention and later Christ (now in flesh-man), had his own freewill to either conform with his Father's intention to make a decision or go by his own freewill atleast we know the rest.

So i think with this scripture amongst many others, there's something called Predestination and Freewill (choice), and they both exist seperately 4 dat matter.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Authoritative View Of The Old Testament / Atheists and Traditionalists Come In. / Jay-z Claims Jesus Was Invented To 'control Dumb People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.