Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,443 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Please Christians In The House Explain This - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Christians In The House Explain This (2777 Views)

Please Christians; Is This My New Fond Behaviour Good?. / There Will Be No Christians In Nigeria In Next 25 Years – NCEF Warns / Mistakes Most Christians In Nigeria Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 21, 2018
"Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering."
Judges:11:31

"And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter."
Judges:11:34

"And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,"
Judges:11:39

"That the daughters of Israel went yearly to *lament* the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year."
Judges:11:40

Is just me or is this a reference to human sacrifice?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by delishpot: 12:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

"And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter."

"And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,"

"That the daughters of Israel went yearly to *lament* the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year."

Yes it referred to burnt offering sacrifice using human. It seemed to be the practice with them then that was why Abraham did not think twice about offering his son Isaac. I suspect there are various Gods being worshipped by the israelites at that time and human sacrifice at one point was replaced with animal sacrifice which later was abolished with the human sacrifice of Christ. I believe at each stage and with each Entity they had new method of worship.

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
delishpot:

Yes it referred to burnt offering sacrifice using human. It seemed to be the practice with them then that was why Abraham did not think twice about offering his son Isaac. I suspect there are various Gods being worshipped by the israelites at that time and human sacrifice at one point was replaced with animal sacrifice which later was abolished with the human sacrifice of Christ. I believe at each stage and with each Entity they had new method of worship.
If that is the case doesn't that make YAHWEH a hypocrite?

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch."
Deuteronomy:18:10

"But he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, yea, and made his son to pass through the fire, according to the abominations of the heathen, whom the LORD cast out from before the children of Israel."
2 Kings:16:3

And are you really justifying human sacrifice?
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by delishpot: 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
If that is the case doesn't that make YAHWEH a hypocrite?

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch."
Deuteronomy:18:10

"But he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, yea, and made his son to pass through the fire, according to the abominations of the heathen, whom the LORD cast out from before the children of Israel."
2 Kings:16:3

And are you really justifying human sacrifice?

You carry wahala wey person no fit cure o. Did you read me justifying human sacrifice? Did you even read my post at all? Abegi carry your yeye waka go the other side make i see road pass.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Let me invite prominent Christians to explain better *unlike that drug dealer above*

Emmanystone, Butterflyl1on, OLAADEGBU, alBHAGDADI, Ferisidowu
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
delishpot:

You are wrong. Let me address the OP.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by petra1(m): 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
God doesn’t accept human sacrifice . He gave alternative plan of redemption for human sacrifice
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Gggg102(m): 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2018
petra1:
God doesn’t accept human sacrifice . He gave alternative plan of redemption for human sacrifice

but Jesus was human

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 12:48pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
"Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering."

This is the entire verse from verse 31 without skipping any part.

31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

32 Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the Lord gave them into his hands. 33 He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon.

34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter. 35 When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.”

36 “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

From this comes the Israelite tradition 40 that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite

I am sure you have now read through the entire verses. So let's analyse them together shall we?

Firstly it is not necessary to assume that Jephthah ever offered a human sacrifice. First, Jephthah was aware of the law against human sacrifice, and if he had intended to offer a human sacrifice, he would have known this would have been a blatant rejection of God’s law.

Secondly, the text does not actually say he killed his daughter in a sacrificial offering. This is simply inferred by some from the fact that he promised that whatever came out of his house first “shall surely be the Lord’s, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering” However as Paul indicated, human beings are to be offered to God “as a living sacrifice” (Rom. 12:1), not as dead ones. Jephthah could have offered his daughter to the Lord as a living sacrifice. For the remainder of her life, she would serve the Lord in the temple and remain a virgin.

Third, a living sacrifice of perpetual virginity was a tremendous sacrifice in the Jewish context of that day. As a perpetual virgin dedicated to the service of the Lord, she would not be able to bring up children to continue her father’s lineage. Jephthah acted as a man of honor and great faith in the Lord by not going back on the vow that he had made to the Lord his God.

Fourth, this view is supported by the fact that when Jephthah’s daughter went out to weep for two months, she did not go out to mourn her impending death. Rather, she went out “and bewailed her virginity”

Finally, if she was facing death at the end of the two month period, it would have been very simple for her to marry some young man and live with him for the two months prior to her death. There was no reason for Jephthah’s daughter to mourn her virginity unless she was facing a life of perpetual virginity. Being the only child of Jephthah, his daughter was not mourning her virginity because of any illicit sexual desire.

Why would she focus on mourning her virginity and not her impending death?

From what I presented which is right there in the scriptures in focus, Common sense should give you your answer except you wish to deny that what I have said are not found in those verses of scripture.

Have a good day.

4 Likes

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

This is the entire verse from verse 31 without skipping any part.

I am sure you have now read through the entire verses. So let's analyse them together shall we?

Firstly it is not necessary to assume that Jephthah ever offered a human sacrifice. First, Jephthah was aware of the law against human sacrifice, and if he had intended to offer a human sacrifice, he would have known this would have been a blatant rejection of God’s law.

Secondly, the text does not actually say he killed his daughter in a sacrificial offering. This is simply inferred by some from the fact that he promised that whatever came out of his house first “shall surely be the Lord’s, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering”
You know the Bible forbids adding to the scriptures that text says "as a burnt offering", there's no other option involved that 'up' you added completely manipulated the scriptures
butterflyl1on:

Third, a living sacrifice of perpetual virginity was a tremendous sacrifice in the Jewish context of that day. As a perpetual virgin dedicated to the service of the Lord, she would not be able to bring up children to continue her father’s lineage. Jephthah acted as a man of honor and great faith in the Lord by not going back on the vow that he had made to the Lord his God.

Fourth, this view is supported by the fact that when Jephthah’s daughter went out to weep for two months, she did not go out to mourn her impending death. Rather, she went out “and bewailed her virginity”

Finally, if she was facing death at the end of the two month period, it would have been very simple for her to marry some young man and live with him for the two months prior to her death. There was no reason for Jephthah’s daughter to mourn her virginity unless she was facing a life of perpetual virginity. Being the only child of Jephthah, his daughter was not mourning her virginity because of any illicit sexual desire.
. Most of what you placed here is guesswork the Bible plainly states "And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,"

What is his, vow burnt offering

No place where she went to the priest

But okay, anyway good one trying to justify the Bible could go with this (don't really want to provide other human sacrifices)
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
You know the Bible forbids adding to the scriptures that text says "as a burnt offering", there's no other option involved that 'up' you added completely manipulated the scriptures. Most of you placed here is guesswork the Bible plainly states And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

What is his, vow burnt offering

But okay, anyway good one trying to justify the Bible could go with this (don't really want to provide other human sacrifices)

I knew you would miss the truth even when broken down to you the way I did.

Why would someone who was to die be more focused on mourning her virginity?

I need you to answer this? Should she not be mourning her impending death rather?

Plus if she had died and not remained a perpetual virgin, shouldn't the daughters of Israel be mourning her death? Why were they also focused on mourning her virginity and not her death?

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

From this comes the Israelite tradition 40 that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite

Why would she and her friends be focused ONLY on mourning her virginity and not even a single place did they mourn her impending death?

Again the answer is right there but you deny it.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I need you to answer this? Should she not be mourning her impending death rather?

Plus if she had died and not remained a perpetual virgin, shouldn't the daughters of Israel be mourning her death? Why were they also focused on mourning her virginity and not her death?

Why would she and her friends be focused ONLY on mourning her virginity and not even a single place did they mourn her impending death?

One question though was he expecting a goat to come out his house to welcome him? She's crying because she never really got to enjoy life
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 1:38pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
One question though was he expecting a goat to come out his house to welcome him? She's crying because she never really got to enjoy life

Now you are the one adding to the scriptures. grin

1) Why did she and her friends focus on mourning her virginity and not her impending death?

Were her friends going to suffer with her? So why did they join her in mourning her virginity and why did they not rather leave her to mourn her virginity herself while they mourn her impending death?

Why did ALL OF THEM WITHOUT EXCEPTION MOURN HER VIRGINITY AND NOT HER IMPENDING DEATH.

is virginity worth more than death? Why mourn virginity if you were going to die? Why not rather wail and bemoan your death? Would mourning your virginity prevent your impending death? So why take that seriously so much so that all your friends would want to join you in mourning same?

Again the answer is right in front of you.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Now you are the one adding to the scriptures. grin

1) Why did she and her friends focus on mourning her virginity and not her impending death?

Were her friends going to suffer with her? So why did they join her in mourning her virginity and why did they not rather leave her to mourn her virginity herself while they mourn her impending death?

Why did ALL OF THEM WITHOUT EXCEPTION MOURN HER VIRGINITY AND NOT HER IMPENDING DEATH.

is virginity worth more than death? Why mourn virginity if you were going to die? Why not rather wail and bemoan your death? Would mourning your virginity prevent your impending death? So why take that seriously so much so that all your friends would want to join you in mourning same?

Again the answer is right in front of you.
"That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year."
Judges:11:40 okay she sacrificed her virginity, does that stop it from being human sacrifice?

She can't get married have children isn't she as good as dead? Note the judges got married Moses Aaron Eli Samson, isn't it still human sacrifice?
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by hopefulLandlord: 1:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
Similar discussion happened here www.nairaland.com/3585458/did-jephthah-actually-burnt-daughter

Christians also tried hard and failed to twist words while googling hard and regurgitating apologist bullsheet as usual

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Gggg102(m): 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

why did he vow a BURNT OFFERING?
afterall he knew it would be a human that would come out of his door.

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 1:58pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
"That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year."
Judges:11:40 okay she sacrificed her virginity, does that stop it from being human sacrifice?

She can't get married have children isn't she as good as dead? Note the judges got married Moses Aaron Eli Samson, isn't it still human sacrifice?

So remaining a virgin now translates to human sacrifice?

Remaining celibate for a life time now translates to "human sacrifice "? undecided

It's obvious you are confused.

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

So remaining a virgin now translates to human sacrifice?

Remaining celibate for a life time now translates to "human sacrifice "? undecided

It's obvious you are confused.
Celibacy that's your choice and you can't be celibate if you haven't had sex this is different definition of sacrifice

sacrifice

NOUN
an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to a deity.
Christ's offering of himself in the Crucifixion.

an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
Gggg102:

why did he vow a BURNT OFFERING?
afterall he knew it would be a human that would come out of his door.

God and Israel had a covenant based on animal sacrifice and not human sacrifice .

He expected an animal and not a human but since a human was who came to meet him, he still could not go contrary to the covenant of God based on animals but still had to fulfil his vow devoid of death. So he chose to ask the daughter to forfeit her virginity as a fulfilment of this vow. She agreed and decided to mourn it. She was to remain a virgin all her life and her friends joined her in mourning her virginity which if you read that scripture carefully, was actually the thing in focus and no longer her death.

2 Likes

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2018
LordVoldermort:
Celibacy that's your choice and you can't be celibate if you haven't had sex this is different definition of sacrifice

sacrifice

NOUN
an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to a deity.
Christ's offering of himself in the Crucifixion.

an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy

I hope you saw the words in bold.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I hope you saw the words in bold.
bros human sacrifice is still sacrifice, especially if you did not choose it yourself
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by hopefulLandlord: 2:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Gggg102(m): 2:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

God and Israel had a covenant based on animal sacrifice and not human sacrifice .

He expected an animal and not a human but since a human was who came to meet him, he still could not go contrary to the covenant of God based on animals but still had to fulfil his vow devoid of death. So he chose to ask the daughter to forfeit her virginity as a fulfilment of this vow. She agreed and decided to mourn it. She was to remain a virgin all her life and her friends joined her in mourning her virginity which if you read that scripture carefully, was actually the thing in focus and no longer her death.

1) he expected an animal to come to greet him from inside his house
2) even if it was an animal, that means he was going to burn the animal up.
but in your earlier post, you claimed burnt offering meant living sacrifice.
would he have given the animal for life service to the temple
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Please for those who would use Samuel as an illustration

Note: Samuel got married

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 21, 2018
Gggg102:

2) even if it was an animal, that means he was going to burn the animal up.
would he have given the animal for life service to the temple?
Lol

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 2:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
[quote author=Gggg102 post=65254430]

Yes! Try to first find out how they built or designed their house those days and in that region.

2) even if it was an animal, that means he was going to burn the animal up

Yes! .

would he have given the animal for life service to the temple

No! This is from my first post

Secondly, the text does not actually say he killed his daughter in a sacrificial offering. This is simply inferred by some from the fact that he promised that whatever came out of his house first “shall surely be the Lord’s, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering” However as Paul indicated, human beings are to be offered to God “as a living sacrifice” (Rom. 12:1), not as dead ones. Jephthah could have offered his daughter to the Lord as a living sacrifice. For the remainder of her life, she would serve the Lord in the temple and remain a virgin.

Because the covenant was with animals he could not redeem it with a human sacrifice because God forbad human sacrifice with Israel but he still had to somehow redeem his vow. So he chose to rather redeem it with servitude and not sacrifice which confirms Romans12:1.

1 Like

Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Emmanystone: 2:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
delishpot:

Is it what we think and believe or what the Bible says?
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Gggg102(m): 2:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
[quote author=butterflyl1on post=65254605][/quote]

how did they build their house that allowed them live indoors with livestock

if he did not offer his daughter as an offering, how come the bible says he fulfilled the vow that he made?
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2018
I have never thought about that passage like that. I always assumed the sacrifice was for her to be single and celibate.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by butterflyl1on: 2:55pm On Feb 21, 2018
Gggg102:

how did they build their house that allowed them live indoors with livestock

Those days, houses were built with courtyards in them and a main entry into the courtyard before you enter other rooms by passing through this courtyard.

Some Livestock were kept in this courtyard which doubled as a protective enclosure.

if he did not offer his daughter as an offering, how come the bible says he fulfilled the vow that he made?

Read the scripture again. He fulfilled his vow through offering the daughter in lifelong servitude as a virgin. Which is why her mourn was based on the fact that she would remain a virgin and never marry.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Gggg102(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
[quote author=butterflyl1on post=65255315]

He fulfilled his vow through offering the daughter in lifelong servitude as a virgin.

I never saw that when I read the story. what I saw was that he fulfilled his vow and the only vow he made was to offer a burnt offering.
Re: Please Christians In The House Explain This by Niflheim(m): 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
The suya loving god!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Video Of David Oyedepo Ongoing 100k Capacity Auditorium That Got People Talking / PART Two:complete Biography Of Saint Moses Orimolade..the Founder: C&S / Noah's Ark: Man's Greatest Invention Of All Time? (Photos and Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.