Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (24857 Views)

My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 / Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. You’re Killing The Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:04am On Feb 28, 2018
erico2k2:
Thermostat got wired connectors? emits/generate heat?
yep the one from Japan! the brand is OPO KI
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 11:51am On Feb 28, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

yep the one from Japan! the brand is OPO KI
That's not a thermostat . I challenge yoy to show me any pic .
This thermostat is for my Transmission fluid coolant heat xchanger
PS I just got the sacastic vibe in your post ahahaha

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by connkg(m): 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

please u r the reason our cars in Nigeria can't operate with those thermostat from Finland, the one with 110v.

its either u stick to what u know and become an electrician/ rewire or u travel to Sweden and hussle....

PS I need a 220watts 110v thermostat for my murano, the one there is not emitting enough heat and I need heat please. the German one oh please not the Russian imitation.

can u help me out?

I read the comments, waiting and watching. Was shocked into silence, until I could laugh at your post.
Ah! Them Jon Snows! ("You know NOTHING, Jon Snow!"wink
Imagine? And still headstrong?

Imagine the fleet still with this problem. Manuals are online, yet...

Guy, when they supply the heat-emitting pressing iron, let me know. Rainy season's here!
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ow11(m): 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2018
[quote author=adecz post=65354581][/quote]

antifreeze lowers the freezing point of the water in the radiator and has nothing to do with cooling. I can drive a car without a steering wheel and that doesn't mean I should do so
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ow11(m): 6:26pm On Mar 12, 2018
holocron:

With an ambient temp of 40 deg centigrade, it takes less to no time for an engine to reach 90 deg. So for Nigeria humid and hot climate, thermostat is unnecessary and the fan needs to blow continously to maintain engine at the designed 90 degrees centigrade.

The proof is that cars are running successfully even for a decade without the thermostat and without any engine problem whatsoever.

Really, people drive cars without steering wheels or working suspensions, so they can without a thermostat. It does not stop the car from coming on like the absence of a steering wheel (a set of pliers will do the job). The problem here is that you don't actually understand how it works.

Like I wrote earlier, a radiator's function is to reduce the temperature of the water in the engine with the help of the fan. It is the water that actually prevents the engine from overheating NOT the fan, radiator or thermostat. Fans can't keep the engine running at a fixed temperature!

A thermostat is a piece of metal that expands when heated and is usually connected to a switch of some sort. Every appliance that requires a specific temperature range to perform optimally has a thermostat (fridge, AC, electric iron and car engines). It has nothing to with the ambient temperature. So once the engine gets too hot, the thermostat expands and opens the access for cold water to enter the engine block and this removes the boiling water and sends that to the radiator for cooling. when the temperature drops, the metal shrinks and the access is shut. this repeated movement over time will make it go bad. This is noticeable in the used cars we buy in Nigeria. If it goes bad in an open position, the car will never overheat but will have the problems the original post carried. Sadly, it usually goes bad in closed position because it is a spring and we park cars longer than we drive them and the over heating problems start!

why don't you remove the thermostat from your electric iron and use a bucket of water to keep the base from burning your clothes? That is exactly what you do when you remove the thermostat from a car.

3 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by adecz: 6:37pm On Mar 12, 2018
ow11:

antifreeze lowers the freezing point of the water in the radiator and has nothing to do with cooling. I can drive a car without a steering wheel and that doesn't mean I should do so

It lowers the freezing point to prevent the
radiator water from freezing at low temperatures,
because, if the radiator water freezes, water will not
circulate to cool your engine & you'll have
a bust top cylinder gasket on your hands.

I advice you to keep your nose out of what
you cannot comprehend... sad
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ow11(m): 6:39pm On Mar 12, 2018
adecz:

It lowers the freezing point to prevent the
radiator water from freezing at low temperatures,
because, if the radiator water freezes, water will not
circulate to cool your engine & you'll have
a bust top cylinder gasket on your hands.

you cannot comprehend... sad

Good, you have read up. So the water NOT the antifreeze cools the engine! My work here is done

you cannot comprehend... :

Says the fellow that wrote this.....'In oyibo countries, because of the general
cold weather, they aim at keeping their
car engines hot, to prevent stalling &
smooth running.They consistently use
anti freeze.'

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by adecz: 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2018
ow11:

I don't need to "read up" such elementary
motoring basics.
In temperate climes, the water & antifreeze work hand in hand to ensure smooth working of the engine's circulatory water cooled system.

Good, you have read up. So the water NOT the antifreeze cools the engine! My work here is done

Says the fellow that wrote this.....'In oyibo countries, because of the general
cold weather, they aim at keeping their
car engines hot, to prevent stalling &
smooth running.They consistently use
anti freeze.'

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 7:23pm On Mar 12, 2018
ow11:

Really, people drive cars without steering wheels or working suspensions, so they can without a thermostat. It does not stop the car from coming on like the absence of a steering wheel (a set of pliers will do the job). The problem here is that you don't actually understand how it works.

Like I wrote earlier, a radiator's function is to reduce the temperature of the water in the engine with the help of the fan. It is the water that actually prevents the engine from overheating NOT the fan, radiator or thermostat. Fans can't keep the engine running at a fixed temperature!

A thermostat is a piece of metal that expands when heated and is usually connected to a switch of some sort. Every appliance that requires a specific temperature range to perform optimally has a thermostat (fridge, AC, electric iron and car engines). It has nothing to with the ambient temperature. So once the engine gets too hot, the thermostat expands and opens the access for cold water to enter the engine block and this removes the boiling water and sends that to the radiator for cooling. when the temperature drops, the metal shrinks and the access is shut. this repeated movement over time will make it go bad. This is noticeable in the used cars we buy in Nigeria. If it goes bad in an open position, the car will never overheat but will have the problems the original post carried. Sadly, it usually goes bad in closed position because it is a spring and we park cars longer than we drive them and the over heating problems start!

why don't you remove the thermostat from your electric iron and use a bucket of water to keep the base from burning your clothes? That is exactly what you do when you remove the thermostat from a car.

well for the purpose of this thread, the thermostat is NOT Expanding metal nor connected. Only thermo switches and coolant temp sensors are connected.
There are some Anti-freeze which you do not need water mix on it, the water mix are 50/50
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by cobumneke(m): 3:50pm On Aug 26, 2018
Don't remove your thermostat, though it can go bad, if it's bad like other motto parts change it, whe it is bad it can stuck open or close if it's stucked closed that's when it causes over heating. just get another OEM thermostat or get any good one from parts seller and change it. don't be DECIEVED by those road side illustrates sorry to that call themselves mechanics
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by EngRichie: 5:11pm On Aug 27, 2018
If proper maintenance of using coolant solution and replacing the coolant and Thermostat periodically cannot be followed, REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT to protect the engine from catastrophic failure as a result of overheat. The effect is that it will take more time to reach operating temperature. The engine can also over cool during highway driving in a cold weather even in Nigeria as the natural air passing through the radiator will be over sufficient for the cooling and there won't be Thermostat to help in flow control.

This does not imply me saying that the use of water in place of coolant is okay.

Note that some vehicles use electronically controlled Thermostat to control flow under varying driving conditions. I advise that you must leave Thermostat in such vehicles and use coolant, though it will still work if you remove them but you will get a fault code.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 21, 2018
Many of you said it all with some correct answers both ways. I however do not like when we just say " as long as car manufacturers put thermostat there....... you should leave it". Most car makers do not recommend engine flush AND it is very good for cars (especially old cars). Most car makers do not recommend transmission additives and it is very good and helps prolong the life of your trasnmission- gear box. You can compare the temperature characteristics of a car in Canada and Dubai. Our mechanics I admit do not know about cars but it is by trial method that overheating has been stopped in Naija by removing the thermostats. Of course that may not be the best method but it actually works to solve this overheating problem in many cars imported from abroad. According to some research, it may also be some other problems in the vehicle like failed temperature sensor, engine gasket etc. A CAR without thermostat suffers more in a cold weather than in a hot weather like here. The truth is there are engine performance issues when a thermostat is removed which may not be so significant in a hot weather like Naija. This removing thermostat thing is not the worst. The worst things we do on our Car is using a thicker oil with viscosity of 20w50 instead of 5w30 or 10w30 for most old cars.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:01am On Sep 22, 2018
mosesmora:
Many of you said it all with some correct answers both ways. I however do not like when we just say " as long as car manufacturers put thermostat there....... you should leave it". Most car makers do not recommend engine flush AND it is very good for cars (especially old cars). Most car makers do not recommend transmission additives and it is very good and helps prolong the life of your trasnmission- gear box. You can compare the temperature characteristics of a car in Canada and Dubai. Our mechanics I admit do not know about cars but it is by trial method that overheating has been stopped in Naija by removing the thermostats. Of course that may not be the best method but it actually works to solve this overheating problem in many cars imported from abroad. According to some research, it may also be some other problems in the vehicle like failed temperature sensor, engine gasket etc. A CAR without thermostat suffers more in a cold weather than in a hot weather like here. The truth is there are engine performance issues when a thermostat is removed which may not be so significant in a hot weather like Naija. This removing thermostat thing is not the worst. The worst things we do on our Car is using a thicker oil with viscosity of 20w50 instead of 5w30 or 10w30 for most old cars.

you are wrong to say removing a thermostat it helps to solve overheating in reality removing one if the car is overheating sort of hides the overheating issue as coolant/water in engine wont be pressured enough to heat up and it would be flowing directly to the radiator getting cooled down therefore the temperature will never reach 90 degree aka average engine optimum efficient operating temperature.

so removing fools you to think overheating has been solved but not, bypassing other instruments doesnt mean the intial problem has been solved
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 22, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

you are wrong to say removing a thermostat it helps to solve overheating in reality removing one if the car is overheating sort of hides the overheating issue as coolant/water in engine wont be pressured enough to heat up and it would be flowing directly to the radiator getting cooled down therefore the temperature will never reach 90 degree aka average engine optimum efficient operating temperature.

so removing fools you to think overheating has been solved but not, bypassing other instruments doesnt mean the intial problem has been solved

Do you know that using a thicker oil like 20w50 that Mobil oil and other oil companies sells in Nigeria is deadly to your engine than removing your thermostat ? Do u understand viscosity of motor oils ?
I am not so much in support of removing thermostat but I have seen and heard many cars that stopped overheating after thermostat has been removed. Mind you this only proves that Thermostat was the problem. According to some research I made here in Naija, the thermostat sensitivity is very high and it takes longer time for it to close and open in many cases here. Before it detects that the engine is running hot to trigger the fan to blow and coolant to circulate round the engine the cars have already over heated. Mind you this is not the case of every cars. So don't quote me wrong. Some cars have thermostat with no issues. All overheating are definitively not caused by thermostat.
The point now is " if a thermostat causes overheating, what will be the solution that you have without removing it". Our unqualified mechanics solved the problem. You can't prove otherwise unless you have a clear solution to this issue. Simple

let me explain engine temperature as per viscosity u mentioned. 90% of engine wear occurs at engine start up. When a thermostat is removed in a hot weather like Nigeria, the fans/coolant keep cooling the engine. Observe very well, within few minutes the engine is warm at nearly it's operating temperatures or just at it's operating temperature even when the thermostat is removed. You do more harm to your car if u are using a heavier oil. Normal Engine operating temperature is something around 90 to 100 degrees Celsius. Most cars without thermostat enters this range except in very cold conditions like heavy rainfall and some cold weather experienced in Jos and Northern Nigeria during Christmas period. Even with that temperature scenarios, the engine is still close to its operating temperature because we not close to any thing like Winter season here. In addition, like I said before, The right viscosity of your motor oil is d most important.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:26pm On Sep 23, 2018
mosesmora:

Do you know that using a thicker oil like 20w50 that Mobil oil and other oil companies sells in Nigeria is deadly to your engine than removing your thermostat ? Do u understand viscosity of motor oils ?
I am not so much in support of removing thermostat but I have seen and heard many cars that stopped overheating after thermostat has been removed. Mind you this only proves that Thermostat was the problem. According to some research I made here in Naija, the thermostat sensitivity is very high and it takes longer time for it to close and open in many cases here. Before it detects that the engine is running hot to trigger the fan to blow and coolant to circulate round the engine the cars have already over heated. Mind you this is not the case of every cars. So don't quote me wrong. Some cars have thermostat with no issues. All overheating are definitively not caused by thermostat.
The point now is " if a thermostat causes overheating, what will be the solution that you have without removing it". Our unqualified mechanics solved the problem. You can't prove otherwise unless you have a clear solution to this issue. Simple

let me explain engine temperature as per viscosity u mentioned. 90% of engine wear occurs at engine start up. When a thermostat is removed in a hot weather like Nigeria, the fans/coolant keep cooling the engine. Observe very well, within few minutes the engine is warm at nearly it's operating temperatures or just at it's operating temperature even when the thermostat is removed. You do more harm to your car if u are using a heavier oil. Normal Engine operating temperature is something around 90 to 100 degrees Celsius. Most cars without thermostat enters this range except in very cold conditions like heavy rainfall and some cold weather experienced in Jos and Northern Nigeria during Christmas period. Even with that temperature scenarios, the engine is still close to its operating temperature because we not close to any thing like Winter season here. In addition, like I said before, The right viscosity of your motor oil is d most important.

you are shifting to win i never talked about oil

i responding the thermostat removal only

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2018
mosesmora:

I am not so much in support of removing thermostat but I have seen and heard many cars that stopped overheating after thermostat has been removed. Mind you this only proves that Thermostat was the problem
. According to some research I made here in Naija, the thermostat sensitivity is very high and it takes longer time for it to close and open in many cases here. Before it detects that the engine is running hot to trigger the fan to blow and coolant to circulate round the engine the cars have already over heated. Mind you this is not the case of every cars. So don't quote me wrong. Some cars have thermostat with no issues. All overheating are definitively not caused by thermostat.

there are many things that cause a car to overheat anything directly relataed to thermostat would be a thermostat stuck shut (meaning when coolant/water in block engine reaches 90+ degress it cant open to let in cold coolant/water from the radiator) in this case the thermostat would be the problem

the other factors needs to be investigated, simply removing the thermo is bypassing the signs of overheating but the cause of overheating wouldnt have been solved, what you would be doing is shorting the life span of your engine and also loosing horsepower and toque

overheating issue are matter of elimating causing, testing each componet that might cause over heating, not just taking of the thermostat and through away, a faulty thermostat should be replace with a new one

removing a thermostat with finding a cause of the overheating is like a coughing child, cutting her tongue wont stop cause of the coughing

then as per versocity yes true your are correct 20w is the wrong oil as it will take more time to reach critical parts becoz of it weight
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Readonee35L(m): 8:57pm On Sep 23, 2018
BaddaMan:

Same thing I was told when I ask why the thermostat of a diesel gen was removed after washing the radiator and it’s still overheating, we had to remove the thermostat then the temperature was balanced, weather is a key factor
The thermostat was already damaged. A replacement could have solved it
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by surefx(m): 7:13am On Sep 24, 2018
From experience, refilling a car cooling system with a thermostat installed requires more attention and skill. This is because of the restriction to flow caused by the thermostat. Air can easily be trapped in the system and the car will overheat.

I definitely support the use of thermostats, as they ensure that engines operate optimally, with acceptable temperature variations under varied operation conditions.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

there are many things that cause a car to overheat anything directly relataed to thermostat would be a thermostat stuck shut (meaning when coolant/water in block engine reaches 90+ degress it cant open to let in cold coolant/water from the radiator) in this case the thermostat would be the problem

the other factors needs to be investigated, simply removing the thermo is bypassing the signs of overheating but the cause of overheating wouldnt have been solved, what you would be doing is shorting the life span of your engine and also loosing horsepower and toque

overheating issue are matter of elimating causing, testing each componet that might cause over heating, not just taking of the thermostat and through away, a faulty thermostat should be replace with a new one

removing a thermostat with finding a cause of the overheating is like a coughing child, cutting her tongue wont stop cause of the coughing

then as per versocity yes true your are correct 20w is the wrong oil as it will take more time to reach critical parts becoz of it weight

Yes you are right when saying a thermostat shouldn't be removed. Removing a thermostat is like a temporary solution if it is bad and you are not ready to fix it ASAP. The driver of such vehicle should take the vehicle to a good mechanic to check and fix an OEM thermostat. The real reason why mechanics remove it is just a part of laziness from them. Failure to troubleshoot the problem and recommend alternatives. To go back to my previous point, in our weather here the engine operating temperature with and without thermostat is not so much and the engine performance will not be seriously affected compared to colder regions of the world. This is equally not enough to remove the thermostat. The radiator and fans will only be overworking continuously shortening their lifespan.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2018
Suggestions for further readings

1. https://www.quora.com/Can-you-drive-a-car-without-a-thermostat-in-temperate-regions-like-Africa

2. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-to-drive-your-car-without-thermostats

"In Africa, which by the way is NOT temperate, but is hot (‘temperate’ means neither hot like Africa, nor cold like say Alaska, but in the middle, like the UK is) once the car is fully to temperature the thermostat will be mostly open BUT…Because most cars have enough cooling to cope even with sub Saharan African heat, the thermostat is still limiting the flow through the radiator. remove it and the car will cool at the maximum rate the entire system can manage which might be OK in the middle of the day but when night falls, when you turn the car’s cabin heater on to stay warm (it gets pretty cold at night in Africa!) it’ll still be cooling the coolant as fast as it can and you’ll watch your cars temperature gauge drop and the cabin heater will blow cold.

worse still, a fuel injected car will sense the coolant temperature drop, and add fuel to the air/fuel mixture, ruining the car’s economy, and a carburettor will run inefficiently, losing power.

In anything but the hottest conditions, running with no thermostat will make the engine run below its perfect temperature."
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:24pm On Sep 26, 2018
mosesmora:

Yes you are right when saying a thermostat shouldn't be removed. Removing a thermostat is like a temporary solution if it is bad and you are not ready to fix it ASAP. The driver of such vehicle should take the vehicle to a good mechanic to check and fix an OEM thermostat. The real reason why mechanics remove it is just a part of laziness from them. Failure to troubleshoot the problem and recommend alternatives. To go back to my previous point, in our weather here the engine operating temperature with and without thermostat is not so much and the engine performance will not be seriously affected compared to colder regions of the world. This is equally not enough to remove the thermostat. The radiator and fans will only be overworking continuously shortening their lifespan.

the problem is the misconception that the thermostat is for the west world due to low temperature

the thermostat is mainly there to maintain optimum operating temperature thats makes the engines more effiecient in saving you fuel and also maintaining the longevity of the engine block, without a thermostat your engine is being heated and cooled at the same time, thats not good for the engine block
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 04, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

the problem is the misconception that the thermostat is for the west world due to low temperature

the thermostat is mainly there to maintain optimum operating temperature thats makes the engines more effiecient in saving you fuel and also maintaining the longevity of the engine block, without a thermostat your engine is being heated and cooled at the same time, thats not good for the engine block

I agree with you bro. Our local mechanics need to advise car owners to stop removing thermostat and rather solve the problems of overheating. Simple.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by olorunoba(m): 8:09pm On Feb 18, 2019
All said and done you are alright to remove or not to remove It better not to. The thermostat goes bad too and when that happens it need to be replaced but Nigeria mechanics just decide to remove it. Remember all car are brain box driven now . Without the thermostat it increase of fuel, don't remove it but replace when it gets bad
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by VolvoS60(m): 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
grin

Funny, interesting thread.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by moluwaseun: 11:12pm On Jul 11, 2019
I really appreciate the good works you are doing, I noticed coolant loss in the radiator on my Toyota Highlander 2004, took it to the mechanic and he replaced radiator cap, still had same issues and car got overheated, took it back and noticed a leak on the plastic part on the top of the radiator, he replaced the plastic part and still same issue of coolant loss after driving, while washing the car this morning, I noticed lots of coolant on the rear floor just behind the front passenger seat, the coolant gets so much and also little around the front passenger just along the door side, but that if the rear floor seems so plenty after driving what could be the cause and solution I would appreciate thanks
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ayodele2012(m): 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2019
Hello house I want to share my experience of my Chevrolet Malibu 2008 model over heating.after a year plus av bin using the car it just started suddenly one day when I was driving I noticed through the dashboard .I noticed the light was on and the charge was at H to indicate.I alert my mechanic he adviced my to go and blow my radiator and condenser which I did yet the over heating did not stop.some friends advice me that my radiator may have park off that I should change it to 2 cell.I also changed one of the fan through the advice of the auto-mechanic yet it doesn't stop.I battle for this for like 3 month.so I decided to look for mechanic that is expect in american car.then he start the engine for 2hrs on the AC,the engine does not over it and the guy told me that the fault is not from the engine.and he drove the car for like 2minutes the over heating happened again.so he has to pour water on the 4 wheels and the front tire at the driver side was ozzeing vapour very hot.so when he removed the tire alaas!!! the caliper as damage which made the engine to be over working.after changing the caliper av been driving my car without any problem but I spent a lot before I could detect the fault and it took me 3 month to do so.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by AutoTechDoyz(m): 10:15pm On Jul 17, 2019
I guess most of the people still removing their car' thermostats are still driving oldies. Remove a modern Car's thermostat, wherein virtually all systems are ECU controlled, and invite the dreaded and infamous Check Engine Light grin

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 11:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
ayodele2012:
Hello house I want to share my experience of my Chevrolet Malibu 2008 model over heating.after a year plus av bin using the car it just started suddenly one day when I was driving I noticed through the dashboard .I noticed the light was on and the charge was at H to indicate.I alert my mechanic he adviced my to go and blow my radiator and condenser which I did yet the over heating did not stop.some friends advice me that my radiator may have park off that I should change it to 2 cell.I also changed one of the fan through the advice of the auto-mechanic yet it doesn't stop.I battle for this for like 3 month.so I decided to look for mechanic that is expect in american car.then he start the engine for 2hrs on the AC,the engine does not over it and the guy told me that the fault is not from the engine.and he drove the car for like 2minutes the over heating happened again.so he has to pour water on the 4 wheels and the front tire at the driver side was ozzeing vapour very hot.so when he removed the tire alaas!!! the caliper as damage which made the engine to be over working.after changing the caliper av been driving my car without any problem but I spent a lot before I could detect the fault and it took me 3 month to do so.
your sliding pin was dry or whoever serviced it used normal grease on it, my question to you, what grease did this new guy use?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by monimore: 6:09pm On Aug 03, 2019
Nija don't remove your thermometer ooooooo, we don't know better than the manufacturer
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by 7pages(m): 7:38pm On Aug 16, 2020
phayvoursky:

I ALSO USE A GOLF. I HAD PEACE WHEN I TOOK OFF THAT THING. IMAGINE A CAR OVERHEATING IN TRAFFIC. YOU MECHANIC DID YOU WELL.

bro which model of golf do you used then and does removing the thermostat put a permanent solution to overheating?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by phayvoursky(m): 11:19pm On Aug 16, 2020
7pages:

bro which model of golf do you used then and does removing the thermostat put a permanent solution to overheating?

A golf 3 1999 model. Yes; the mechanic took out the thermostat and that was the end of the problem.

After taking of the thermostat some mechanics might also suggest you get a bigger cooling fan. That helps too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BMW 7 Series Facelift: Everything You Need To Know / ECU Stolen / He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.