Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Nigerian Players In South African League - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Players In South African League (21706 Views)

Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 11:34am On Apr 26, 2010
Pere Ariweriyai
Club:AmaZulu Durban
Nationality:Nigeria
Height:1.83 m / 6 ft
Weight:76 kg / 167 lbs PositionCentral defender

He is the captain of the team,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmaZulu_F.C._(South_Africa)
http://www.amazulufc.net/

Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 11:47am On Apr 26, 2010
Greg Etafia
Nationality: Nigeria

Born: Thursday, September 30, 1982
Height: 180
Weight: 78
Position: Goalkeeper
Club: Highlanders Club, NUB FC, Lobi Stars, Plateau United (all Nigeria), Moroka Swallows

He is also the Captain of the team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Etafia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroka_Swallows
http://www.morokaswallows.co.za/default.asp

Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 11:55am On Apr 26, 2010
Felix Obada
Nationality: Nigeria

Born: Saturday, August 15, 1987
Height:
Weight:
Position: Forward
Club: Kwra United (NIG) Thanda Royal Zuulu

www.maritzburgunited.co.za
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Obada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritzburg_United

Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by Kgdavid(m): 12:09pm On Apr 26, 2010
man what are wages like in the south african league?
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:11pm On Apr 26, 2010
First name  : Ayo
Last name: Oluwafemi
Nationality:  Nigeria
Date of birth :22 March 1988
Country of birth :  Nigeria
Position  :  Defender
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:24pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kgdavid:

man what are wages like in the south african league?

Well information about players wages are not made public but I know that the minimum wage for newly promoted junior players start at R15 000 per month excluding bonuses and also clubs provide players with accomodation.

For big players it depend on your profile but you could earn up to R250 000 thousand per month excluding bonuses which ranges from R5000 to R15 000 per win.

1 Rand =7 US$
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by Kgdavid(m): 12:57pm On Apr 26, 2010
wow thats unprecedented in africa as far as i know. with the advanced state of ur league its a marvel that ur national team is so disappointing.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by snowdrops(m): 1:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
Apart from the team in 1996 who luckiliy won the AFC due to Nigerias' unfortunate absence South African National football team has been abysmal.

I hope they progress to the group stage in the summer. Anything short of that will mean disgruntled fans and empty stadia.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by 14(m): 12:38am On Apr 27, 2010
@RSA, the PSL has a rule for minimum pay of R20 000. The league is very strong financially, they have just signed an agreement with the German bundes Liga to share information and Ideas. You can see that its aserious league. Sundowns want to buy Dane Klate for R5 millions. Players dont want to go to Europe any more to make big bucks, They rather stay at home and make as much money they would make if they were in Europe.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
Kgdavid:

wow thats unprecedented in africa as far as i know. with the advanced state of your league its a marvel that your national team is so disappointing.

I am not too worried about the national team,remember that South Africa started playing international football only 17 years ago.And during that time we where once number one ranked African country and 18th in the world.We won Afcon in 1996,and where losing finalist in 1998,in 2000 we came 3rd.

Yes from that period things have gone down but that is football,Ivory coast went through the same path,Ghana also went through that.

We know where we went wrong,development was not taken seriously.Things have changed now,all Premier Soccer League teams have a strong development structures.

Supersport United have partnered with Totenham Hotspurs in England
Bloemfontein Celtic with Sporting Lisbon in Portugal
Ajax Cape Town with Ajax Amstradam in Holland
Wits Unevercity with Bronby in Sweden

This are just some of the few partnership South African team have with European teams,and this can only strenthen our football in future.

The future looks bright
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by Sagamite(m): 1:45pm On Apr 28, 2010
RSA:

Well information about players wages are not made public but I know that the minimum wage for newly promoted junior players start at R15 000 per month excluding bonuses and also clubs provide players with accomodation.

For big players it depend on your profile but you could earn up to R250 000 thousand per month excluding bonuses which ranges from R5000 to R15 000 per win.

1 Rand =7 US$

I think you meant 1 US$ = 7 Rand

Also none of those players look the age they claim, add anything from 6 to 10 years to those ages.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 2:25pm On Apr 28, 2010
^thanks no wonder KGDAVID could not believe the figure,my apology it was a mistake grin
Regarding age,it is sad but I guess if you've got to do it,in order to have a chance in life then I don't blame them they are not killing anyone or stealing anyones property.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by Sagamite(m): 3:17pm On Apr 28, 2010
RSA:

Regarding age,it is sad but I guess if you've got to do it,in order to have a chance in life then I don't blame them they are not killing anyone or stealing anyones property.

That's right.

Although it can be quite gut-irritating and nauseating to see a 32 year old with veins of adulthood all over his forehead claiming almost pubescent ages e.g. Stanley Okoro.

It might be more amiable to have some self-restraint and limit the severity of the lie e.g. cutting by 3 to 4 years, not the periodical renewal of their sworn affidavit every 6 years to be eternally 16 years old until either the end of their soccer career or a foreign club signs them.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by 14(m): 5:01pm On Apr 28, 2010
RSA:

I am not too worried about the national team,remember that South Africa started playing international football only 17 years ago.And during that time we where once number one ranked African country and 18th in the world.We won Afcon in 1996,and where losing finalist in 1998,in 2000 we came 3rd.

Yes from that period things have gone down but that is football,Ivory coast went through the same path,Ghana also went through that.

We know where we went wrong,development was not taken seriously.Things have changed now,all Premier Soccer League teams have a strong development structures.

Supersport United have partnered with Totenham Hotspurs in England
Bloemfontein Celtic with Sporting Lisbon in Portugal
Ajax Cape Town with Ajax Amstradam in Holland
Wits Unevercity with Bronby in Sweden

This are just some of the few partnership South African team have with European teams,and this can only strenthen our football in future.

The future looks bright

watch us in 3 - 5yrs, we will be causing trouble in Africa once again. you saw the under 20 team that was playing against Ghana in the Quaterfinal of FIFA World Cup U20 in Egypt. ghana managed to beat us in extra time. Our junior teams are very strong. Just watch the space.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 8:57am On Sep 13, 2010
I'm here to win with Pirates - Otorogu

Nigeria Striker Ezenwa Otorogu is looking forward to a more fulfilling career with Orlando Pirates than he had with his previous club, Club Africain of Tunisia.

- Join our fantastic new Prediction Game for the Absa Premiership

Otorogu told SuperSport.com that he feels more at home in South Africa than he ever felt in Tunisia.
“I am settling down quite easily and I’m feeling at home. There are so many Nigerians and my manager, Mohammed Lawal, has been a big help. It’s also great that Pirates have a connection with Nigeria, with international players Willy Okpara and Onyekachi Okonkwo having played here. The language here is English, the culture is not far from what I know and I am just happy to be here.”

Otorogu began his career with El-Kanemi Warriors in 2002 and joined Enyimba in 2006, scoring 20 goals in 27 games. This impressive return earned the interest of clubs from abroad. He has been courted by several clubs and tried out for Ajax Cape Town, Mamelodi Sundowns, Al-Hilal and Aalborg of Denmark before settling for Pirates.

The big striker earned two caps with Nigeria at the Fifa Beach Soccer World Cup in Brazil and also starred for the B team in the Africa Nations Championship qualifier for players based in Africa. He is hoping his exploits with pirates will attract the attention of national selectors.

Nigeria Striker Ezenwa Otorogu “I hope to follow in the footsteps of Raphael Ndukwe Chukwu, who was a phenomenal striker in the PSL, and attract a call up to the Super Eagles.

“My experience so far with Pirates has been quite phenomenal. Everyone has been fantastic -- the management, the technical crew and the fans. I want to assure them that I will give my best in the colours and leave the rest to God. I believe I have what it takes and I look forward to winning big honours

http://supersport.com/football/absa-premiership/news/100831/Im_here_to_win_with_Pirates_Otorogu
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 9:00am On Sep 13, 2010
Nigerian defender Fortune Chukwudi set to join Supersport United.

News coming out from the SuperSport United camp is that Nigerian defender Fortune Chukwudi is set to complete his move to the defending PSL champions.

The player’s representative confirmed that they are to start negotiating for the player’s terms in the near future.

Chukwudi previously played for A&B Football academy and he is currently the captain of the Nigerian Under-20 set-up. The 19-year-old player may be the ideal player to fill the void to be left by defender Bongani Khumalo who is set for a move to England.

However Chukwudi will face stiff competition for a place in the existing United squad, competing with Jeffrey Ntuka who seems to have gained his form and the 2009/10 PSL player of the season Morgan Gould.

The Under-20 captain Chukwudi had his age questioned during the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in 2009 who at the time was reported to have been over 25 by his former coach Adokiye Amiesimaka.
http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7487:matsatsantsas-back-up-for-khumalo-&catid=6:local&Itemid=129
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 9:06am On Sep 13, 2010
Maritzburg sign Ayo Oluwafemi
Posted: 2010-07-20 17:01

Nigerian Ayo Oluwafemi will remain in the Absa Premiership after joining Maritzburg United from Jomo Cosmos.

In a move that has been touted for weeks, Oluwafemi has finally signed for Maritzburg United, joining on a two year contract from relegated Jomo Cosmos.

Oluwafemi has an option of a third year with Maritzburg on his contract.

“It is an outright move for me as I have signed a two-year contract with an option of a third,” explains Oluwafemi.

The 22-year-old says he is pleased to be staying in the top-flight as going down with Cosmos to the First Division wouldn’t have done his ambitions any good.

“I am happy to have stayed in the Premier League and I am enjoying my time here. The coach (Ernst Middendorp) has already told me that he will be using me on the left side of midfield. This means I will be facing competition from Rudolf Bester and Felix Obada, another Nigerian product, who can also play on the left.

“Staying in the Premier League means a lot for me because I have waited a long time to be in this league. I was at the Cosmos academy in 2004 after which I was loaned out to AmaTuks before I came back in the season that Cosmos won promotion back into the top-flight (2008/09),” says Oluwafemi.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/16812/maritzburg-sign-ayo-oluwafemi.php
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 9:12am On Sep 13, 2010
Olomu wants to win

“We want to get back to winning ways” admits Bloemfontein Celtic’s Prince Olomu ahead his side’s home Absa Premiership clash against AmaZulu FC on Wednesday night.

The match will take place at the Seisa Ramabodu Stadium in Botshabelo, kick-off at 19:30.

The Phunya Sele Sele, despite having a fantastic preseason which saw them lift the Mangaung Cup, have struggled at the start of the official 2010/11 PSL season.

Initially the side from Bloemfontein were dumped out of the MTN8, losing 1-0 to Kaizer Chiefs, and were then beat 2-0 in their opening league fixture against Ajax Cape Town.

Celtic will now look to kick-start their season with a win over AmaZulu. “We need to get back to winning like we were in the preseason. We were the better side for large portions of the Ajax game and a 2-0 scoreline is a little unjust. Now coming up against AmaZulu the team feels we can grab all three points” says Olomu.

Playing at home will also be a huge psychological advantage for Celtic and Olomu points that out, “We are playing in front of our home fans and that is always a bonus, but they will be desperate for us to get a win. Another loss is not acceptable and we will do everything in our power to get all three points.”

Someone the Phunya Sele Sele will have to get past if they intend on beating AmaZulu is their central defender and captain Pere Ariweriyai. “I don’t plan on letting any of the Celtic strikers get past me” says the defender boldly.

AmaZulu, in contrast to Celtic, got their Absa Premiership season off to a thrilling start with a dramatic 3-2 win over Maritzburg United. “That was a tough game, but in the end I believe we deserved the win” suggest Ariweriyai.

Striker Ayanda Dlamini netted twice to see Usuthu defeat the Team of Choice for the first time in a league encounter and handed new coach Manqoba Mngqithi a winning start to his tenure in charge of the club.

Ariweriyai believes the new coach has really fitted in well since his arrival and has the complete respect of the players, “Since the coach has come in he has made a difference. He has got the players working a lot harder and it is paying off.”

In head-to-head stats, these two teams have met in 38 league encounters since 1985. Celtic has claimed 15 wins to AmaZulu’s 10 in that time, with 13 matches ending in stalemate. The Bloemfontein side, though, has outscored their Durban counterparts by 51 goals to 39.

Phunya Sele Sele have traditionally dominated when playing at home against Usuthu having claiming 10 wins and suffering just two defeats in 20 matches in the Free State. AmaZulu, however, last term took four points off Phunya Sele Sele after a 1-1 draw in the Free State and a 2-1 win for the Durban team in the return game, thanks to goals from Ayanda Dlamini and Marc van Heerden.

After rehearing that fact Olomu concluded matters saying, “We want let AmaZulu get any points off us this season, especially in our home fixture.”

http://www.psl.co.za/article.asp?id=370194
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by snowdrops(m): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2010
@ poster

whats the point of this thread? Should be shown to the garbage bin.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by Sagamite(m): 5:23pm On Sep 23, 2010
snowdrops:

@ poster

whats the point of this thread? Should be shown to the garbage bin.

You have a problem with someone giving you information about Naija players in their country?
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by snowdrops(m): 10:30pm On Sep 23, 2010
Sagamite:

You have a problem with someone giving you information about Naija players in their country?
i have a problem with a two faced hypocrire like the poster. simples.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:09pm On Sep 24, 2010
snowdrops:

i have a problem with a two faced hypocrire like the poster. simples.

What happen to one love my brother? We brothers aight? grin
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by snowdrops(m): 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
RSA:

What happen to one love my brother? We brothers aight? grin
Shakes head, farts and leaves thread.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by yousouph(m): 4:32pm On Sep 24, 2010
RSA can now say 'we are brothers aight'. Wonders shall never ceased. Anyway, i do watch out for Nigerians in SA league.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by snowdrops(m): 10:10pm On Sep 24, 2010
yousouph:

RSA can now say 'we are brothers aight'. Wonders shall never ceased. Anyway, i do watch out for Nigerians in SA league.
No mind am. His words stinks of hypocrisy
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by yousouph(m): 11:54am On Sep 27, 2010
Ezenwa Otorogu was part of the Orlando Pirates team that beats Kaiser Chiefs to reach the final of MTN 8 with a 2-1 aggregate win. His team will face Moroka Swallows (whom Greg Etafia plays for)in Durban next Saturday.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 9:53am On Sep 28, 2010
yousouph:

Ezenwa Otorogu was part of the Orlando Pirates team that beats Kaiser Chiefs to reach the final of MTN 8 with a 2-1 aggregate win. His team will face Moroka Swallows (whom Greg Etafia plays for)in Durban next Saturday.

We must point out that this will be Orlando Pirate's first cup final in 8 years,I am a Kaizer Chiefs supporter that is why I am rubbing this in grin
Well done to Pirates,and goodluck against Swallows.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by malaza: 7:43am On Oct 05, 2010
RSA:

We must point out that this will be Orlando Pirate's first cup final in 8 years,I am a Kaizer Chiefs supporter that is why I am rubbing this in grin
Well done to Pirates,and goodluck against Swallows.

So RSA when we the Bhakaniyas are not around you spread lies about us in other countrues huh ngwana mokgalabje? First cup final in 8 years? What happended to the one we had against you( ABSA cup) in 2005, against Sundowns in 2007 (SAA Supa cool and Ajax in 2008 ( TKO)? This is our first cup sucess in 10 years though, and it feels good. No wonder you di not come and update them sisnce we won cool. Once a Pirate always pirate, Up the Bucs.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by yousouph(m): 10:39am On Oct 05, 2010
but thats 1st Pirates cup in 10 years
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:15pm On Nov 16, 2010
Premier Soccer League newcomer Ezenwa Otorogu endured mixed emotions on Saturday after scoring his first goal for Orlando Pirates in the derby defeat to Kaizer Chiefs.

The burly Nigerian, who joined Bucs in the off-season, netted a late consolation effort off the bench in the 3-1 loss at Soccer City.

And while Otorogu was pleased to open his account, he was obviously disappointed to lose to Pirates' fiercest rivals.

"It was a great feeling to score my first official goal for my club, even though we lost the match," he told the Sea Robbers' official website.

"Obviously I am very disappointed that we lost such an important game because we were playing against our main rivals.
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by RSA(m): 12:22pm On Nov 16, 2010
This are some of the comments on Prince Olomu who is playing for Bloemfontein Celtics
in their forums

Prince Olomu candidate for player of the season

Message Topic Search Topic Options
Create New Topic
Printable Version
Govers
Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
Posts: 587 Quote Reply Topic: Prince Olomu candidate for player of the season
Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:55am
I don’t care who says what, Prince Olomu is a candidate for player of the season both for Celtic and for the ABSA Premiership. There is currently no player in the PSL who is consistent like Olomu. If he keeps his consistency I don’t see why he can’t be crowned player of the season. That guy has been a revelation and I will be surprised if he is not called up for his country’s World Cup qualifier away to Kenya on the 14 November 2009. Olomu deserves to be in their National Team.

Edited by Govers - 05 Nov 2009 at 7:56am

Darkcino
Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

I agree with you on Olomu the Prince but again dont forget Katlego Mphela also he is been scoring goals for sunflower, he is another candidate

Edited by Darkcino - 05 Nov 2009 at 8:07am

Thwala
Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

I feel the same way too but for me The PRINCE OF BLOEM will challenge even for the topgoalscorer award only if KILLER MPHELA of amaSUNFLOWER cud get injured or be booked for just 3 games.The PRINCE can make wonders for SIWELELE AND even a top spot we can achieve as MASELESELE this season.It`s every body`s league this one.

http://www.bloemfonteincelticfc.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123&PN=1&SID=e3bf8e6aac9z46d33zf492b78a1f7882
Re: Nigerian Players In South African League by semid4lyfe(m): 9:39pm On Nov 16, 2010
RSA, how bodi?

S.A hosted the AWC to use the home advantage to get to the final and qualify for the world cup and perhaps win it but still Banyana Banyana fell short. How do you feel?

Maybe SA should host the AWC in 2014 again so you can qualify for the 2015 Women's World Cup . . .LWKMD grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AFCON 2013 Jokes. Lets Share It. / Oliseh To Share In Nigeria’s 2018 World Cup Bonus / Arsenal Winger Saka Says Choosing Between England And Nigeria Will Be 'tough'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.