Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Still On Joe Achuzie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Still On Joe Achuzie (1154 Views)

Joseph Achuzie "Hannibal" Is Dead (Photos) / More Photos From Kanu's Visit To Col. Joe Achuzie / Nnamdi Kanu Visits Achuzie 'Air Raid' At His Residence In Asaba. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On Joe Achuzie by Napoleondegreat: 11:25am On Feb 27, 2018
JOSEPH "Hannibal" (Airaid )ACHUZIE
(born 1929) was a general in the Biafran Army.
''The last man standing'' has joined his ancestors
Presented by M.M.Mbanaja
Biafra
Prior to joining the Biafran Army in May 1967 Achuzie had been a soldier in the British Army.
On the outbreak of the genocide war in 1967 ,he returned to fatherland to defend Biafra from Nigerian genocide,which he defended galantly with the courageous Biafran army that led to the survival of the remnants of indigenous people of Biafra ,who hitherto could have been extermited by the combined minancing forces of the British,Rusian and Egyptian military machines.

After Biafran soldiers were forced to retreat across the River Niger Bridge into Onitsha on September 20, 1967 Achuzie was promoted to major and given command of the Biafran 11th Battalion with the responsibility for defending the area between Atani and Ndoni from an imminent Nigerian attack. After the Biafran 18th Battalion under Colonel Assam Nsudoh was forced to retreat from Onitsha after 8 days of bloody house-to-house fighting, the 11th Battalion under Maj. Achuzie linked up with the 18th Battalion east of the city and made plans to counter-attack.
The 18th Battalion swung south along the Old Market Road while the 11th Battalion under Maj. Achuzie swung north along the New Market Road in a coordinated Pincer movement. The majority of the 5,000 man Nigerian 2nd Division stationed in Onitsha were either massacred or taken prisoner by Achuzie's men. Two separate counter-attacks were made by the Nigerian 2nd Division in the days following the Biafran assault but were both thwarted by the 11th and 18th Battalions stationed in Onitsha. Achuzie was given total control of the Biafran 11th Division on January 19, 1968 by President Ojukwu once the Nigerian 2nd Division under Murtala Mohammed reached Awka, giving the Nigerians a direct route to Onitsha. The 11th Division under Maj. Achuzie managed to hold off the Nigerians for 2 months until an offensive launched on March 20 resulted in the Nigerians breaking through the Biafran defensive lines surrounding the city, the final battle would last less than 24 hours. The Nigerians were forced to pay with heavy casualties but they managed to capture Onitsha and forced the Biafran 11th Division to retreat to Nnewi.

On May 19, 1968 Maj. Achuzie was transferred to Port Harcourt and made commander of all Biafran soldiers within the city. Port Harcourt was subjected to heavy Nigerian artillery bombardment while defending Biafran troops fiercely resisted. During five days of heavy fighting, Port Harcourt's airport and army barracks changed hands on numerous occasions but by May 24 most Biafran troops had been pushed out of the city into the surrounding areas. Maj. Achuzie stubbornly continued to fight against the Nigerians before narrowly escaping death after almost being run over by an armored car; it was then that Maj. Achuzie abandoned fighting and retreated to Igrita. On September 22, 1968 Maj. Achuzie took part in an attempt to re-capture the Obiangwu Airstrip from the Nigerian 22nd and 44th Battalions but was instead forced to retreat. On March 15, 1969 the Biafran S Division under Major Timothy Onwuatuegwu made a frontal assault on the 16th Brigade but was forced to halt after suffering heavy casualties. Maj. Onwuatuegwu placed half of his men under the command of Maj. Achuzie and were able to get within 1 km of the city. Major Achuzie demanded total control of the S Division but was refused by Onwuatuegwu and the two men almost shot each other after drawing their guns. President Ojukwu stepped in and gave Major Achuzie control of the S Division for one week, continuing the frontal assault on Owerri. Achuzie's plan ultimately failed and he retreated after suffering heavy casualties, Ojukwu then immediately restored Onwuatuegwu as commander. On January 9, 1970 President Odumegwu Ojukwu officially placed all remaining Biafran soldiers under the command of Maj. Achuzie and gave his vice president Philip Effiong his title of President. Three days later on January 12 Effiong, Achuzie, and other Biafran officers made their way to Amichi and later Owerri to broadcast their final surrender to General Olusegun Obasanjo.
After Biafra
After Achuzie was released from prison in 1970 he officially retired from military activities and moved to Asaba, his home-town from where he had been coordinating the pro-Biafran activists including Ohamadike ,Nnamdi Kanu and others in Biafraland.
He lived there as of February 2018 when he died.
The miracle of Abagana
Operation UNICORD Midwest Invasion of 1967 Enugu First Onitsha Operation Tiger Claw Second Onitsha Port Harcourt Abagana Ambush Operation OAU Owerri Operation Hiroshima Operation Leopard Operation Tail-Wind
The Abagana Ambush (March 31, 1968) was a military ambush by Biafran guerrilla troops led by Major Jonathan Uchendu that wiped out the Nigerian 2 Division.[9] Of the 6000 Nigerian troops ambushed, only very few survived including General Murtala Muhammad.

Background
On October 4, 1967, the Nigerian 2nd Division began bombarding Onitsha and continued the assault for eight days before a 10 boat armada crossed the Niger River into the city. The occupying Nigerians didn't pursue retreating Biafran soldiers and instead opted to loot and burn the Onitsha market to the ground. The Biafran 11th and 18th Battalions under Maj. Joseph Achuzie and Col. Assam Nsudoh formed a pincer and attacked Onitsha from two directions, capturing and killing most Nigerian soldiers. In December 1967 the Nigerian 2nd Division an 6th Battalion crossed the Niger River at Idah and began making their way towards Onitsha, finally capturing the City after several attempts. The Nigerian Forces now intended to link up the 1st Division at Enugu with the 2nd Division at Onitsha. To this end the Nigerian 2nd Division moves out towards Enugu in a long convoy supported by armored cars on 31 March 1968.[4]

Ambush
On March 31, 1968, a 206 vehicle convoy of the Nigerian 2nd Division transporting 6000 infantry as well as armor from Onitsha to Enugu was ambushed and decimated in the town of Abagana by a small troop of Biafran soldiers led by Maj. Jonathan Uchendu. Homemade Ogbunigwe rocket missiles were launched by the Biafrans at a tanker truck carrying gasoline which caused an enormous explosion that tossed armored cars like tin cans.[10] 350 tons of equipment were destroyed or captured by the Biafran troops.Murtala was said to be entering the Biafran hinterland with the wicked aggression to final extermination of his Asaba massacre trade mark. He even had a trailer load of koboko,for the men who will be annihilated from the age of 6 and above,after whipping them with koboko while the women are taken assex slaves and islamization,however,the God of Biafra,hukwu Okike Abiama performed his miracle of Abagana.

Aftermath
The successful ambush at Abagana gave both Biafran soldiers and civilians hope in the war as well as temporarily halting the Nigerian advance into Biafran territory. General Murtala Mohammed was relieved of his command and never commanded a division again.

Notes
Though John de St. Jorre mentions Colonel Joseph Achuzie as commander of the operation,Major-General Alexander Madiebo (General Officer Commanding the Biafran Army) credits Major Uchendu. Chinua Achebe and others also credit Uchendu. From all indications, Achuzie was the commanding officer of Uchendu`s division and strategically planned the operation, while Uchendu led the actual ambush.
International journalists present in Biafra at the time like Frederick Forsyth, Gilles Caron and other authors give the strength of the ambushed Nigerian troops as 6000 men supported by armor, of which almost all were lost. Chinua Achebe gives the much lower figure of about 500 Nigerian troops. All sources state that the convoy was about 200 vehicles long including troop transport, ammunition transport, tankers and armored cars.
Major Jonathan Uchendu carried out the very attack. His 39 Battalion was an offshoot of 18 Battalion commanded by Col. Nsodor. In his own words, Uchendu said the sight of the convoy almost paralyzed his troops. His boys were so anxious to start firing, more out of panic than anything else. He asked them to remain calm until he gave the command. He allowed many of the Nigerian 2 Div. convoy pass through. His boys were shocked why he would allow them go through into Biafran held zone. They were nervous, suspicious, yet they trusted he military gallantry and so awaited to know his strategy. He said they concluded that the war was over, but as brave soldiers, they must fight to the last!

As he was guiding the soldier (I think a Sergeant) with the rocket launcher on what to do to the invading convoy and when best to strike, the soldier nervously and accidentally pressed the trigger,letting go the rocket! Luckily, he hit a target - a fuel Tanker! The Tanker exploded and threw its contents onto a nearby Armour carrier setting everything ablaze. The multiple explosion commenced! In panic, soldiers who already crossed over into Biafran line ran in different directions in total confusion. Biafran soldiers attacked. They radioed the regular troops and they joined in the attack. When Uchendu learnt that Muritala Mohammed was with the Convoy and somewhere in Nawfia, he set off hurriedly to capture him but was late as Muritala was sighted taking off with a Helicopter!
I will bring to our readers,a personal story he narrated to us at Owerri about the Surrender that resulted to no voctor ,no vanguish by Gowon.
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by Napoleondegreat: 11:28am On Feb 27, 2018
I still shed real tears reading all these
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by Napoleondegreat: 11:39am On Feb 27, 2018
Adieu, "Air Raid", my dreaded Oga, our hero.
He had sent my Unit to hit Adoru, near Idah, Benue State, behind enemy lines. We marched from Aguleri, the HQ of the Brigade he commanded, passing through Nsukka and back to Adani.

On that day the Nigerian troops pushed past Onuiyi Haven, the country home of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, burnt it down and headed to capture Adani town. My Unit stopped the Nigerian advance by blowing the bridge across the Adani River.
Four of my friends, students of St Joseph's Secondary School, Aguleri, all older than me, died that day. I was 14 years of age, tagging along Capt. Raph Ifekauche, the Company Commander. At Adani we were joined by other units to create 59th Battalion for Capt Ifekauche.

With a wound on my left leg, I was permitted to go to Otuocha for treatment. We crossed the Anambra River into Otuocha. And that day was my first encounter with Air Raid, Col. Achuzie.
The stern officer ordered all soldiers back to Adani. He pulled a pistol as he shouted instructions, threatening to shoot the foolish troop who tried to ignore his order. On seeing my bandaged left knee, he asked me to sit.
Later I joined his Landrover back to Adani where I rejoined my new battalion.
From Adani, 59th Battalion, under Capt. Ifeka, moved to Awkuzu and camped at a primary school compound. Our first duty tour was to visit Ifite Ukpo Junction. It was April, 1968. Coming from the Awkuzu-Otuocha road axis, we burst into the Onitsha-Enugu highway at Ifite Ukpo and found the road and surrounding bushes still smouldering from the Biafran ambush of a week earlier. We could still hear the sporadic explosions of Ammo from burning ammunition trucks of the decimated Nigerian forces.
A team of foreign journalists soon arrived; some of them white people. They interviewed Capt. Ifeka and took photographs of the burnt and still burning ruins of the Nigerian forces which stretched far down on both ends, towards Enugu-Ukwu on the left, and towards Onitsha on our right.

Chike Ememike-Facebook user
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by Napoleondegreat: 11:41am On Feb 27, 2018
To Achuzie, You gave all your best for the survival of your father land. May our creator reward you in heaven and on earth
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by gidgiddy: 11:58am On Feb 27, 2018
Napoleondegreat:
To Achuzie, You gave all your best for the survival of your father land. May our creator reward you in heaven and on earth

He was a greate Igbo son who will be greately missed. I cant help but sing that Biafran song

Achuzia bu Hanibal Biafra!

Ojukwu bu Eze Biafra!

Achuzia is the Hanibal of Biafra!
Ojukwu is the King of Biafra!
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by EternalTruths: 12:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
gidgiddy:

He was a greate Igbo son who will be grestely missed. I cant help but ding that Biafran song

Achuzia bu Hanibal Biafra!

Ojukwu bu Eze Biafra!

Achuzia is the Hanibal of Biafra!
Ojukwu is the King of Biafra!

In the next war, watch out for more & greater Achuzies including me in Jesus Name Amen.
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by gidgiddy: 12:44pm On Feb 27, 2018
EternalTruths:

In the next war, watch out for more & greater Achuzies including me in Jesus Name Amen.

Hopefully there wont be a war, hopefully there will be a referendum
Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by EternalTruths: 12:47pm On Feb 27, 2018
gidgiddy:

Hopefully there wont be a war, hopefully there will be a referendum

After Biafra is established, Fulanis will attempt to kill all Northern Christians which will lead to massive migration into Biafran land.

This will propel the Biafran government to deploy troops in the North .

1 Like

Re: Still On Joe Achuzie by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2020
Napoleondegreat:
I still shed real tears reading all these

Achuzie was a fraud and you're a dummy

(1) (Reply)

Those Jubilating Over Dapchi Girls’ Abduction Is An Enemy Of Nigeria -presidency / Shocker!! Fayose May Decamp To The APC / Suspected Killers Of Army General Alkali Paraded By Police In Plateau. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.