Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,787 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 (37679 Views)

Ben Enwonwu’s Painting Sold For £1.1m After Google Search / Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Acidosis(m): 9:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
thornapple:
I never stop wondering the motivation behind buying a piece of painting for millions.

same here
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by martineverest(m): 9:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
what modern Nigerian artists and artistes lack:creativity
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by KendrickAyomide: 9:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
Narldon:
Tutu?
no, Toto
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Mypeople2(m): 9:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
What a beautiful creative mind ! What a genius!

5 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by EmekaBlue(m): 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
Oboooy...million pound bill

See money
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by eyinjuege: 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
They say Princess Tutu is still alive somewhere in Lagos....
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by sonnie10: 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
thornapple:
I never stop wondering the motivation behind buying a piece of painting for millions.
it shows class and separates the boys from men. Why do you work for money knowing that it is just paper? It is value the society has attached to it. The same material that is used in making 100 naira bill is used in making 1000 naira bill yet one is higher than the other! It feels good to own one thing that no one else can own, masterpiece.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by BeijinDossier: 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
Anambra born Ben keep doing the black race proud.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
[quote author=naptu2 post=65451691][/quote]

He was truly a giant among men. . . .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by eyinjuege: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
What are the facts here:

It is Vintage work of art. It's definitely a masterpiece.... But, It was made by a Nigerian

No one knew when it was listed in a foreign auction for sale

(It shouldn't even be listed for sale in the first place but ok...)

It wasn't even sold in Naira

Just in case someone begins to wonder if the Artist will get paid for his work

I guess you can deduce yourself!!!

Trying to picture this same scenario with one of Picasso's painting.... Only in Africa!!

It was stolen when his house was burgled in the UK.

They found it years later in someone's flat.

His family definitely knew about the auction. His son claimed that was his father's favourite piece of art.

5 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by IME1: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
Art is great
Great Prof, if only he lived to see this
But even in death his art work has been found and priced well
I am listening to i am Nigeria by Threadstone and reinforcing my faith in a better Nigeria
Till further notice

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by ChiefSweetus: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
Amazing! How come he isn't one of the most celebrated Nigerians ever? I mean he undoubtedly deserves greater prominence going by his professional antecedents.

And as usual, fantastic curation, naptu2. You are such a legend!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:56pm On Feb 28, 2018
I wish the man Is still 2 witnessed this day his work of many which has gone missing finally found but I think they sud sue who ever is in possession of that art work

3 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Adefemiaderoju1: 9:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
A great Man indeed

3 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Ayodejioak(m): 9:58pm On Feb 28, 2018
eyinjuege:

It was stolen when his house was burgled in the UK.

They found it years later in someone's flat.

His family definitely knew about the auction. His son claimed that was his father's favourite piece of art.

If this is true and known enough, Then Im interested in seeing how the world handles this
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 9:58pm On Feb 28, 2018
nwabobo:
This is definitely not a good day for skull miners.

That's why we call you people 'chestbeaters'. If this were a Yoruba or Hausa man or Edo, you will never see his tribesmen rushing into the thread to proclaim how they are the best tribe.

Such inferiority complex on your part, such tribalism. Nobody cares where he is from before acknowledging his genius, except.you easterners with your warped and demented psyches.

9 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Narldon: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
GavelSlam:

Yes.

I heard she's still alive.

Where is she?

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by naptu2: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
He made a statue of Sango, the god of thunder/lightning in front of the ECN/NEPA headquarters (electricity for the electricity provider).

He made a statue of a drummer at the headquarters of NECOM/NET, the external telecommunications service provider (ancient African means of communication for a modern communications provider).

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Daewang: 10:02pm On Feb 28, 2018
God bless our Igbo race.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:02pm On Feb 28, 2018
Uhmmmm... Sir, He can't be paid, at least not directly. He is dead but his ingenuity lives on.

Ayodejioak:
What are the facts here:

It is Vintage work of art. It's definitely a masterpiece.... But, It was made by a Nigerian

Trying to picture this same scenario with one of Picasso's painting.... Only in Africa!!
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by ibusiness: 10:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
That's good to know and a lot of good money for is family that he left behind,Professor Ben Enwonwu’s is someone i know very well,have been to is house before at Ikoyi.

And i have been privileged to see some of this art works when he was alive and when he was gone,and the good thing is that despite the temptation all the years the family have refuse to sell is house.

His house is in between formal British ambassador to Nigeria now own by Hakeem Osagie bello and US Ambassador to Nigeria.. A Good man and an awesome artist.

6 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by kernel504(m): 10:08pm On Feb 28, 2018
nuoladee:
Smart guy quickly painted a Yoruba woman grin
Yoruba women and beauty be like bread and butter.

If you think the magic is in the Yoruba lady, now you have them in millions, draw yours, let's see how far you can go.

9 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 28, 2018
kernel504:

If you think the magic is in the Yoruba lady, now you have them in millions, draw yours, let's see how far you can go.
You cant give what you dont have. He saw many Igbo women but chose a yoruba beauty. Everyone chooses a model that will add beauty to their work so yes the Yoruba woman was and is still the magic. Not to say the artist isnt talented but you cant dispute the beauty the woman adds.

5 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
What are the facts here:

The piece was domiciled in the UK and sold in the UK. The sale was advertized.
Usually, the last known legitimate owner would be contacted and the painting returned to him / her. They are the ones to authorize the sale.
Failing that, the painting would normally be returned to the estate of the painter or his home government.... but Nigeria does not have a government so thats that.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by phreakabit(m): 10:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
And he named it Tutu of all things?
Na wa o
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:13pm On Feb 28, 2018
thornapple:

1. Cultural value

2. Aesthetic value

3. Emotional value

4. Bragging rights

5. Serves as a store of wealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Ogunlayis, Blind Couple That Make Beads / Photo Album: Funny Wedding Pictures / Makeup Artiste, Onilogbo Hakeem Transforms Woman Into An Acid Burn Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.