Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 (37688 Views)

Ben Enwonwu’s Painting Sold For £1.1m After Google Search / Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by hakimi1974(m): 1:35am On Mar 01, 2018
thornapple:
I never stop wondering the motivation behind buying a piece of painting for millions.
you think so? wait and see how the price of this painting will skyrocket in 10yrs. it is bussiness. see it as an investment on real estate.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by T0bi(f): 1:45am On Mar 01, 2018
thornapple:
I never stop wondering the motivation behind buying a piece of painting for millions.

It's probably a whiteman that bought it, their appreciation for Art;s is truly something. WE are wired differently.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Burgerlomo: 1:55am On Mar 01, 2018
Nice one
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by tixo: 4:13am On Mar 01, 2018
Amazing, to see the worth of such a piece as compared to the nudity of women, called art on display today in most gallery. Our culture was the best.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 4:38am On Mar 01, 2018
thornapple:

Me too o,
Can't it be photocopied?
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 4:40am On Mar 01, 2018
nwabobo:

Afonja won't like this news.

What's the news is all about, I don't understand anything here
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 4:42am On Mar 01, 2018
sonnie10:
it shows class and separates the boys from men. Why do you work for money knowing that it is just paper? It is value the society has attached to it. The same material that is used in making 100 naira bill is used in making 1000 naira bill yet one is higher than the other! It feel good to own one thing that no one else can own, masterpiece.

Can't it be duplicated?
Nwanne if I see it I can duplicate it
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by naptu2: 4:45am On Mar 01, 2018
LAGOS LIVE STREAM OF THE BID PROCESS

Some people at the Lagos live stream also bought some of Enwonwu's paintings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osisiye/status/968897614942007296

1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by hopefulLandlord: 5:08am On Mar 01, 2018
I'm always skeptical of the art world since I got educated on how dirty monies are cleaned through them
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by datguru: 5:10am On Mar 01, 2018
thornapple:

It's a well organized scheme of money laundering and quick process of turning BLACK MONEY clean by the political elites and other cabals within a setting.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by naptu2: 5:21am On Mar 01, 2018
Ben Enwonwu's "The Drummer" at Net Building/NECOM House, Marina.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by dfrost: 7:11am On Mar 01, 2018
GodDeyCraze:

Can't it be duplicated?
Nwanne if I see it I can duplicate it

See my brother. Take one day and look around you and appreciate the how life is. Take a camera and go around your environment and take pictures.

You can never understand arts until you relax and look around you.

Thanks naptu2 for bringing up this information.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by steve6: 7:51am On Mar 01, 2018
Great!
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Dhotseal(m): 8:42am On Mar 01, 2018
Ayodejioak:
What are the facts here:

It is Vintage work of art. It's definitely a masterpiece.... But, It was made by a Nigerian

No one knew when it was listed in a foreign auction for sale

(It shouldn't even be listed for sale in the first place but ok...)

It wasn't even sold in Naira

Just in case someone begins to wonder if the Artist will get paid for his work

I guess you can deduce yourself!!!

Trying to picture this same scenario with one of Picasso's painting.... Only in Africa!!

What exactly are u trying to say dude?

What do u mean by "no one knew when it was listed?
By no one, I am sure u mean 'U', cos people knew, that's why there was an auction.

Besides, the person who gets the money from the auction is the immediate owner of the artwork and not the artist. I am sure if u sell your Mercedes Benz today, u don't send the money to Daimler Chrysler.

Picasso's works have been sold outside Italy; in New York and London.

Besides, why should the painting be sold in Nigeria?
Na u go buy am?

Name one art collector in Nigeria.

My point is this, you don't really have to comment on every post.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by GavelSlam: 8:48am On Mar 01, 2018
Opoki:

Lol... I guess you know the meaning of my smile. BTW, I'm from Ife and Tutu' first son, her third child is 76yrs old.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/24/tutu-ben-enwonwu-painting-nigeria-is-tutu-still-alive
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by LaudableXX: 5:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
Opoki:

Lol... I guess you know the meaning of my smile. BTW, I'm from Ife and Tutu' first son, her third child is 76yrs old.

No kidding!! shocked cheesy If Princess Tutu who was the subject of that painting is in her late 60s, how can her 3rd child be 76 years old? Or am I missing something?

Tutu is believed to be alive and living in Lagos, the Guardian can reveal after speaking to a cousin of the princess, who is scouring the Nigerian megacity for the woman who has become a national legend.

“We don’t know where she is, but she is still alive,” says Ronke Ademiluyi, speaking over the phone from Lagos. “We’ve been searching for her everywhere.”

Enwonwu painted three portraits of the Ife royal Adetutu Ademiluyi, whom he first saw in Ile-Ife, a town in south-west Nigeria. Struck by her long neck and graceful beauty, Enwonwu spent six months tracking Tutu down, and then had to persuade her family to let her sit for him – something seen as highly irregular for a woman of high birth.

“To have even just found the painting was incredibly exciting, in the very modest surroundings in which we discovered it,” says Peppiatt. “But then to find out that the sitter, Tutu, is still alive and living in Lagos – it’s the icing on the cake.”
Finding her, however, will not be an easy task. With a population of 21 million, it would be difficult to know where to begin searching in Lagos.

Ademiluyi’s late father and Tutu were both grandchildren of the Ife king at the time, making them first cousins. That will narrow the search, but not as much as one may think. The former king had 37 wives, and hundreds of children and grandchildren. Princesses, of whom Ademiluyi is one, abound.

“The Ademiluyi family is like a clan – there are thousands of us,” she says. “There’s no way we can all know each other.”

Ademiluyi knew nothing of her cousin until she learned about the missing painting. A 98-year-old great-uncle told her Tutu was still alive and in her late sixties, which would fit with her apparent age in the painting.

Oliver Enwonwu says he has heard conflicting accounts of Tutu, one that she was alive and the other that she was dead. He was born while the series was being painted, so he never knew his father’s sitter, but he has long wanted to talk to her. “It will be very exciting if she is still living – it will give context to the painting,” he adds. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/24/tutu-ben-enwonwu-painting-nigeria-is-tutu-still-alive

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by khalids: 5:35pm On Mar 01, 2018
Can you see when Igbo and Yoruba collaborate, the result is always excellence....

I really don't know why we keep fighting each other.....we are the ones that can genuinely pull Nigerian out of this mess...

I sometimes think there is a hidden hand behind this quarrel between both tribe....I SMELL DIVIDE AND RULE TACTICS

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Opoki(m): 5:35pm On Mar 01, 2018
LaudableXX:

No kidding!! shocked cheesy If Princess Tutu who was the subject of that painting is in her late 60s, how can her 3rd child be 76 years old? Or am I missing something?

I must have gotten a wrong information, you know African lineage is not well documented.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Opoki(m): 5:36pm On Mar 01, 2018
khalids:
Can you see when Igbo and Yoruba collaborate, the result is always excellence....

I really don't know why we keep fighting each other.....we are the ones that can genuinely pull Nigerian out of this mess...

I sometimes think there is a hidden hand behind this quarrel between both tribe....I SMELL DIVIDE AND RULE TACTICS

God bless you for this, I also notice the trend.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Opoki(m): 5:38pm On Mar 01, 2018
GavelSlam:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/24/tutu-ben-enwonwu-painting-nigeria-is-tutu-still-alive
Your info is very correct, I surely must have gotten a wrong information. African history/lineage is not/never well documented!

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by MrBingo: 8:28pm On Mar 12, 2018
thornapple:

Hehehehehe cheesy
That's deserving going by where their interest lies.

So your interest is asking people for moiney u gold digger. .anyways, did I mention I drive BMW and I leave in London? wink

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by LaudableXX: 6:19am On Mar 14, 2018
phreakabit:
And he named it Tutu of all things?
Na wa o
What should he have named it? Shekau?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Ogunlayis, Blind Couple That Make Beads / Photo Album: Funny Wedding Pictures / Makeup Artiste, Onilogbo Hakeem Transforms Woman Into An Acid Burn Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.