Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? (12652 Views)

Poll: Should They?

Yes: 66% (77 votes)
No: 13% (16 votes)
Indifferent: 19% (23 votes)
This poll has ended

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by lexyy: 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
language does not matter but the person , his persona
it is the trend in my family
and the regretable one is the marriage that involves our tribal person
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by udezue(m): 11:57pm On Jun 30, 2010
No mind these yeye hypocritical
One naija ppl. Funny thing is that they and their families are least diverse than the ones they are preaching to even marry Eskimo sef. I'm part Ibibio and my fam got Ijo, Yoruba, caucasian, Ughanda, itsekiri yet I'm not here screaming into anyones ear to marry outside their village. I find inter tribal and ethnic mixtures exotic but like I said apply some common sense. U won't want to marry one of Yerima's people.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by vescucci(m): 1:46am On Jul 01, 2010
I do not think they should be encouraged. What I think is that they should not be discouraged.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by EzeUche(m): 3:47am On Jul 01, 2010
I plan on marrying a Yoruba woman so. . .

Welcome this Igbo man to the family. grin
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by udezue(m): 4:50am On Jul 01, 2010
Why do u plan on marrying Yoruba? Is there some cookie for u to get? Ezeuche
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 01, 2010
@ Udezue I dey see your signature oooo grin
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by idifu(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2010
I am a product of Inter-tribal marriage my dad's an Egba man from Abeokuta, while my mother is Calabar woman from Cross-river, i got uncle's from my father's dat are married outside the Yoruba race, same thing from mom's
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Dalby(m): 10:16am On Jul 01, 2010
It integrates the country more cool
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Mubz(m): 12:00pm On Jul 01, 2010
iHustle:

inter-tribal marriage should be encouraged IF AND ONLY IF there is a guarantee that the children of the couple will be well grounded in the cultures of their parents' tribes. If not it should be discouraged.
In most homes where the parents are from different tribes you will notice that English is the predominant medium of communication. this accelerates the extinction of the languages of both parents. This way our indigenous languages and cultural values die, while English language and culture is embraced as the supreme by the children.
Many of our indigenous languages are on the path of extinction. Let's be guided please. I don't believe in do or die love. If the person you love is from another tribe, and you know within you that when you start a family with that person your children will be lost as far as your culture is concerned, please look for someone in your tribe to marry. Don't tell me you can't find one!

Has to be the best reply of this thread,while im all in support of inter-tribal marriages, i see so much sense in what you ve said, VERY TRUE. and im talking from experience.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by nopuqeater: 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2010
@Udezue: « #58 on: Yesterday at 08:51:31 PM »
Nopuqueater,
Biko go rest. Like I said anything pass Southern Kaduna is a no go area. Why would let my child marry into a culture that is highly incompatible with the rest of the nation? Its common sense.
I am hoping that you live in the swamp, instead of the city of Houston. Everyone who has common sense know that everyone in a cuture is not exactly a cookie cutter of the everyone in that culture. Crawford Texas most uncivilized citizen is 1000% better better than you. Afterall, he let his daughter married a virginian. You darn "Ewu". Igbo people say you are a goat in your thinking. Darn ode; thats what yoruba people call you. I think hausa will from that place you hate so much will call you something similatr to what igbo and yoruba call you.

U are here preaching love yet u insult the Igbo by implying that once I am offered $$ I will turn coat.
darn liar. Where did I insult igbo people, except i just said you have a price, you personally. Afterall, a 1000 years ago, what you eat in America, your black ass african would have laughed at it as food for goats. Do you have any conscience at all.

Thunder blast your nyash.
Thunder cant do nothing for me. There are two many tall buildings here to take the charges. You on the other hand live in the big plains. I pity you. Just duck and dont expose yourself to the element because its huricane season, already.

silly Bytch.
Am a woman now? You call nigerian man a woman? You think I dont like women? Lol. If I see you, I will bury my left shoes except God Almighty will prevent me from abusing you for taking full blooded Nigerian 100% grade A man for woman. i know must have been high on some paya to drag you into that mud of a terrible classification. If my woman hear you, she will show you that you dont insult igbo woman's man, and get away scott-free. Dont worry. I will save your hide from her 9ja anger.

Hypocrite.
maybe. But not on this one subject. Go eat some pork. I already left everything for you. Swine. Accusing me of insulting my inlaw people. You want them to charge me cows and goats and never forget that somebody said I said something bad about them, darn texas village idiot? You village in Texas is looking for you.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by oisehumen(m): 12:54pm On Jul 01, 2010
iHustle:

inter-tribal marriage should be encouraged IF AND ONLY IF there is a guarantee that the children of the couple will be well grounded in the cultures of their parents' tribes. If not it should be discouraged.
In most homes where the parents are from different tribes you will notice that English is the predominant medium of communication. this accelerates the extinction of the languages of both parents. This way our indigenous languages and cultural values die, while English language and culture is embraced as the supreme by the children.
Many of our indigenous languages are on the path of extinction. Let's be guided please. I don't believe in do or die love. If the person you love is from another tribe, and you know within you that when you start a family with that person your children will be lost as far as your culture is concerned, please look for someone in your tribe to marry. Don't tell me you can't find one!

Incredible contribution.
I never knew some nairalanders could this be so intelligent. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Some of my elder brothers married from my home town and yet their kids can't even exchange greetings in our local dialect.
Is a calamity and i feel so sad whenever i visit them.

how do we address this situation, for instance?
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by spicyhoney(f): 1:18pm On Jul 01, 2010
It should be encouraged cos it would reduce the rate of the inter-tribal war going on in Nigeria, there would be less fights when u know that you've got in-laws in the tribe u re planning to fight. It  would actually bring on the spirit of oneness to the country.

However, truth be told, there are some tribes i will definitely not marry into and at the same time I would love it if I don't marry from my tribe even though I know my own Dad would love to see me marry not even just from my tribe but from my home town and funny my mum is not even from my state.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Ranoscky(m): 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2010
Rano walks in. . .yanws. . .hmm. . .msceew, somehow bored topic undecided . .whatever!!!. . .**but wait O! shocked. . .Na true O! shocked. . .parent's no dey allow dia children marry outsider/another tribe. but nowadays, hardship don make some parents dey even advice dia daughters to marry rich men no matter the tribe! grin. . .MONEY RULES!!! grin grin grin
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by NaijaSisi(f): 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2010
me, personally intend 2 marry fellow yoruba so my kids will be brought up well grounded in my culture, but if i happen to fall in love with a non-yoruba, out of my tribe, then ko si wahala, there is no problem at all!
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Ranoscky(m): 2:33pm On Jul 01, 2010
^^^O rie pe jare, Omo iya mi
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by NaijaSisi(f): 2:39pm On Jul 01, 2010
Ranoscky:

^^^O rie pe jare, Omo iya mi

grin, eshe smiley
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by 006(m): 2:44pm On Jul 01, 2010
It should be discouraged! Cultures are dying and it’s not good.
If I “mistakenly” marry a non-Igbo, then she must agree to be igbonised. Simple as that.
If my sister wants to get married to a non-Igbo, then her kids must spend every Christmas in our village else I won’t endorse the marriage.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On Jul 01, 2010
I vote "No".
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by iHustle(m): 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2010
Mubz:

Has to be the best reply of this thread,while im all in support of inter-tribal marriages, i see so much sense in what you ve said, VERY TRUE. and im talking from experience.
Thanks Mubz.
oisehumen:

Incredible contribution.
I never knew some nairalanders could this be so intelligent. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Some of my elder brothers married from my home town and yet their kids can't even exchange greetings in our local dialect.
Is a calamity and i feel so sad whenever i visit them.

how do we address this situation, for instance?

Thanks for the compliment Oisehumen.
It's indeed a calamity. Parents are to be blamed for this problem. If a child cannot speak his/her parents' language(s) it's the parents' fault, not the child's. Parents have to show a positive attitude to our indegenious languages. We should be proud of our heritage. Parents should adopt this formula: speak the local dialect to the children at home, then they go to school and learn English. I have seen a couple practice this with their children, and their children speak Igbo and English fluently.   Another party to this calamity is the concept called "Nigeria". In my opinion, Nigeria is the worst thing that has happened to Nigerians. In this country, we have over 300 ethnic groups, controlled by a central government. Hence, the need for a common language. The colonialists took active steps in destroying our cultural heritage, while venerating theirs.
However, I believe there is a solution. We have to be determined to solve this problem. Individuals, families, clans, local governments, state governments, and the federal government have to make inputs in preventing our cultural heritage from eroding before our very eyes.
The Jews recovered the Hebrew language after over 1500 years of disuse, this feat is hailed as one of the greatest artistic achievement in history. Ours is not as bad as theirs, so I believe we can make it if we are determined enough. 
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by EzeUche(m): 9:53pm On Jul 01, 2010
I vote hellll yea!

I want to get at least 6 different babes from different ethnic groups.

I want the elusive Fulani babe! If I have to pretend to be a Mahmud Bello from Katsina, then darn it I am willing to do it. I must attain at least one northern babe.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by ezeagu(m): 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2010
Dalby:

It integrates the country more cool

Nah it doesn't. Not in Africa.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by udezue(m): 11:02pm On Jul 01, 2010
Nopuqeater, Bytch shut da 4k up and stay n ur lane u dumb mofo. I called u a bytch coz u are bitchyy so please don't get mad when u get called out. It aint my fault. What da hell does this topic got to do with TX? Haha were u mistreated by a Texan? I beg go take out ur frustration on da right 1. Btw being a man does not and cannot erase the fact that u a bytch nigga. Who cares about ur Igbo wife and ur inlaws? Mscheew!!! Are u an almajiri? Lol Ewu awusa onye ota gworo. I've said my piece and it is what it is. If u pains dats ur problem.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by udezue(m): 12:27am On Jul 02, 2010
Reality, nna it is what it is. Kedu ije man?
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I vote "No".

I'd think you'd be the last one to say no.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:30am On Jul 02, 2010
Why would you think that?
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 02, 2010
From your previous posts in RACISM, TRIBALISM & SECT. section, you seems to be the type that would encourage bridging the gaps between diff  tribes across Nigeria.

Why did you say no?
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:32am On Jul 02, 2010
I didn't know that my posts made that kind of impression. Well, yeah, you are correct. I do encourage bridging the gaps between peoples, but that is inasmuch as understanding one another goes.

FL Gators:

Why did you say no?
Well, my reason is rather complex and would take a while to explain, but it could all basically be summed down to "compatibility".
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by udezue(m): 3:42am On Jul 02, 2010
FLgators, Nigerians just need to learn how to respect and accept eachother's existence. We don't need to go hunting for wives and husbands across the Benue and Niger to achieve peace coz it won't make any difference when there is trouble.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 4:06am On Jul 02, 2010
udezue:

FLgators, Nigerians just need to learn how to respect and accept eachother's existence. We don't need to go hunting for wives and husbands across the Benue and Niger to achieve peace coz it won't make any difference when there is trouble.
True that.

@chineye
understandable.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by EzeUche(m): 4:07am On Jul 02, 2010
Nsido mfinna mfo Udezue?   undecided

Oh I forgot u no hear nor speak Ibibio. . .
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 02, 2010
Let's just say, inter-tribal marriages shouldn't be discouraged.
Re: Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? by onc4all(f): 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2010
My colleague married outside Igbo land and she has warned me never to marry outside my tribe, She is speaking out of experience.

Inter tribal marriage is not for me, NEVER.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? / Ibeyi Talk About Their Yoruba Heritage In A New Interview / The Origin And Etymology Of Assassination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.