Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,980 members, 7,810,723 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial (1588 Views)

Onitsha Protest: Arase Orders Arrest Of Pro-biafra, MASSOB Agitators / Court Determines Suit Between Nigeria, Biafra On Sept 22 -daily Sun / Biafra: MASSOB, Niger Delta Group Team Up To Actualise Struggle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial by newmaster(m): 6:08am On Apr 28, 2010
6 shot, 27 arrested at Uwazuruike’s trial
28 April, 2010 02:22:00 EMMA OGU, Owerri
Font size:

Anarchy reigned yesterday in Owerri, Imo State capital during the trial of Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, leader of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), as six persons were shot by the police and 27 arrested.

Teargas and bullets were used by the police to disperse a restive crowd shortly after Uwazuruike was brought to Owerri High Court for trial.

Uwazuruike who is being tried over alleged kidnap of one his former members, was later remanded in Owerri prisons by the trial judge, Hon Justice C.A. Ohakwe. Former Biafran leader and Ikemba Nnewi, Dim Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu visited him in prison and had a closed-door discussion Uwazuruike for about 17 minutes.

Over 3000 policemen, including men of anti-terrorist police squad were deployed to the streets to contain with tumultuous crowd of MASSOB members and sympathizers who arrived from different parts of the country to pay solidarity to their leader.

Uwazuruike, who spotted a brown-coloured caftan, was brought to the court in a pick up van accompanied by two other vans, loaded with policemen, anti-terrorist squad and prison warders. He was detained at Kuje Prisons, Abuja, before yesterday’s trial.

The atmosphere in Owerri was charged as mobile policemen cordoned off all the entry points leading to the Judiciary premises as well as Okigwe road round about leading to Government House as early as 6.30 am, possibly to ward-off MASSOB activists who were came into the city in droves.

Trouble started when security operatives resorted to releasing teargas and bullets to disperse increasing MASSOB activists who succeeded in beating security check point at Akwakuma junction and were about entering the road to the High Court premises, but were stopped by the operatives manning the axis. The shootings continued even at the entrance of the court premises.

Movement was paralyzed around the area, particularly the Owerri-Orlu road for several hours as people scampered for safety. Several commuters, especially pregnant women coming into the town who were trapped in commercial vehicles were sighted weeping after inhaling the choking police teargas. Many of them were reportedly rushed to nearby hospitals.

Lawyers, workers and visitors in the High Court were not left out as many of them could not enter the premises of the court to do their works in the wake of the chaotic atmosphere. Every one was in tears scampering for safety and using handkerchief to cover his face to ward off the choking effect of the released teargases.

While the anti-terrorist policemen and the regular policemen overzealously harassed passers, even those identified to have genuine business to do in the court. In other parts of the town there was unusual security beef up and the prison premises on Okigwe road was heavily guarded.

Human rights lawyer and defense counsel to the MASSOB leader, Chief Festus Keyamo who was greeted on arrival with teargas had to complain bitterly to the High Court Judge Justice C.A.Uwakwe about his experience and that of other lawyers.

Immediately the presiding judge read his ruling on the bail application filed by Chief Uwazuruike, Keyamo stood up and said: "My lord, I had to bring to your attention my experience in Owerri today. It is unimaginable that the police should be firing teargas even at the premises of the court. Lawyers and litigants were also prevented from entering the premises of the court to do their jobs. Many of them were affected. This is unfair."

Justice Ohakwe who said his attention was drawn to the development on arrival condemned the act.

Meanwhile, wife of the MASSOB leader, Mrs. Ngozi Uwazuruike and thousands of the activists of the movement left home disappointed as Chief Uwazuruike’s bail application was rejected.

The presiding judge adjourned the case to May 5, to enable the Director of Public Prosecution reply the application for bail filed the MASSOB leader.

While Keyamo who spoke to journalists at the premises of the court expressed happiness that the judge fixed the matter on a short date, he said it was unfair for the ministry of justice to keep somebody in the prison only to come to court to ask for a date to reply to earlier application.

Ojukwu who arrived the court premises about 25 minutes after the court had adjourned the matter however, called at the premises of the state police command to inform the commissioner of police Aloysius Okorie of his intention to see Chief Uwazuruike as directed by the prison officials. He came with his wife, Bianca in company of Uwazuruike’s wife, Ngozi.

Shortly after his aides met with the police boss, he was driven to the prison premises. As he disembarked from the car, his wife, Bianca quickly clutched his hand and Ojukwu was apparently impressed burst into laughter and exclaimed: "That is good enough do you want to carry me on your back."

He was only allowed to enter the prison yard with his wife, personal assistant and wife of the detained MASSOB leader.

Ojukwu could not disclose the details of his meeting with Uwazuruike when prodded by journalists. He said: "At my level do you still expect me to divulge my private discussion?"

However, he said he took the pains to come to Owerri from Enugu to see Uwazuruike because he is one man that is worth his commendation. Dim Ojukwu was also happy that Chief Uwazuruike was looking better than what he thought.

"I looked at him, when I saw him, he was looking better than what I thought. I commend the Nigerian Prison authorities for that. Ralph is the only man that is worth my commendation. That was why I took the pains to travel down to Owerri today to witness his trial and see him", he said.

Meanwhile, MASSOB director of information Uchenna Madu alleged that six members of the movement were shot by the police at the Orlu road axis while 27 were arrested at Mbaise road and Port Harcourt road Owerri. Madu came to Rotibi street housing offices of all the national dailies with 67 year old Chief Augustine Dike, Area administrator of MASSOB in Amiri, Oru East LGA who had a fresh bandage on his face and traces of blood all over his body, claimed he was one of those shot by the police at Orlu road.

Both the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Linus Nwaiwu and the Special adviser to Governor Ikedi Ohakim on security, Sir George Egu faulted the claim of assault on the MASSOB members by the operatives and said the presence of the policemen on the streets was to check possible resort to violence by the group.

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=31547
Re: Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial by EzeUche(m): 6:16am On Apr 28, 2010
And so it begins. How dare that attack peaceful protesters? angry

We Igbos need to wake up before it is too late.
Re: Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial by yarodin: 7:24am On Apr 28, 2010
EzeUche:

And so it begins. How dare that attack peaceful protesters? angry

We Igbos need to wake up before it is too late.

Why don't you fly to Imo state from your Maryland hideout and wake them up?
Re: Nigeria - Biafra( Massob ) 6 Shot, 27 Arrested At Uwazuruike’s Trial by chosen04(f): 7:55am On Apr 28, 2010
yarodin:

Why don't you fly to Imo state from your Maryland hideout and wake them up?

Why does he have to fly from Maryland when others Ndigbos home are UP ALREADY and protesting?==

(1) (Reply)

Inec Chinese Firm: Chief Of Staff, Mike Oghiadomhe, 1st Lady Patience Jonathan I / How To Clean Up, Babatunde Fashola Take Note / Only In Naija: BSc (1997), Professorship (2003)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.