Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love (6429 Views)

My Husband Is Killing Me Emotionaly, How Do I Deal With Him / My Uncle's Wife Is Killing Me. / Please I Need Your Advice I Feel Like Killing My Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by folaski: 10:55am On Apr 28, 2010
I met a lady while i was in A.B.U Zaria as a student and we both fell in love. This relationship had been going on for 4 years before an uncle of mine informed me that he would be visiting me at home. i was eager to introduce my wife to be to him. This uncle is just about 8 years older than me and had been married for about 2 years when he visited. when he saw my fiance he looked shocked and i thought maybe he mistook her for somebody else or that they have heard relationship in the past. to be brief, my lady happened to be his wife's younger sister. I called my parents to inform them and i was shocked about what i heard from them. they said the tradition forbids such union that i should break my relationship of many years. it is very hard for me to do as well as for my lady.
We are resolute to proceed with our wedding with or without our parents consent. We are hopping to go to the registry by July,2010 ending.
I have serious pains in my heart now about this and Please i need your candid advice. thank you cry
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by dominique(f): 11:57am On Apr 28, 2010
that's bizarre, i've never heard anything like that before. your parents should be realistic, where do they want both of you to start from? just try and talk to them and make them see your point (prostrate if you have to). and if they don't give in, marry the woman of your dreams. we only live once, how can you say you want to please some people and end up displeasing yourself.
goodluck.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 28, 2010
folaski:

I met a lady while i was in A.B.U Zaria as a student and we both fell in love. This relationship had been going on for 4 years before an uncle of mine informed me that he would be visiting me at home. i was eager to introduce my wife to be to him. This uncle is just about 8 years older than me and had been married for about 2 years when he visited. when he saw my fiance he looked shocked and i thought maybe he mistook her for somebody else or that they have heard relationship in the past. to be brief, my lady happened to be his wife's younger sister. I called my parents to inform them and i was shocked about what i heard from them. they said the tradition forbids such union that i should break my relationship of many years. it is very hard for me to do as well as for my lady.
We are resolute to proceed with our wedding with or without our parents consent. We are hopping to go to the registry by July,2010 ending.
I have serious pains in my heart now about this and Please i need your candid advice. thank you cry

That is absurd. What kind of tradition is that? You guys are not related by blood and the man is even your uncle, not your direct brither. Abeg bone them jor and marry your girl. angry
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Radiant(f): 2:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
To be honest I don't see anything wrong here
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by coolier(f): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2010
I would think your relationship is in order but most parents in those days feel otherwise. But this is the 21st century, and things are changing, have a serious talk with them about this, it would be nice to have your parents at your wedding.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by safeact(m): 3:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
I laugh in yoruba! Im not yoruba so cant say 4 sure bt its left 4 u to verify and get their consents b4 doing anything! Let me share a sma£ tori wit u. During my service year, i v corp member girl who was a yoruba, she was opposed marrying a guy (stil from yoruba) by d her parents just dis ur case, after persistent pleas and dragings, d duo went and got married in a friends church who is a pastor plus their court marriage to give it legal backing! In d far north, where we served, d man once came and visited her, dnt forget that every night with d help of midnight calls, they will always pray to bind and cast watever against their union from 12.30 to 4.30am. D judgement day came, after d man's visit, d woman took in, later on, she fell sick and despite all that was done to save her, my neighbour just died like that. As if it was not enough, d parents said they wil take d corpse as they never recognised any marriage that took place. So my dear b wise if u lv ur gal and ursf. There might be something that they have seen that u hv not seen! Tread with caution.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by temmytanny(m): 4:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
this tradition is killing legitimate to be marriages and building about to breakup ones.this is one of the things causing many divorces now adays.

am dating a girl from akwa ibom and my yoruba family dont like such idea. i tried look for yoruba girl of my choice dat would better her,hav not seen,am getting older and many waiting for me to marry.what should i now do?

my brother listen to your heart b4 you act cos they wouldnt stay with you when its getting better or worse.my worry is ur parents blessing to the marriage.dont marry at their back but keep letting them know why she is the one u truly love.one day tradition would change by force

as for me,i stil dey with my akwa ibom babe ooooo.i will only leave her if she messes up.nobody can tell me what to do at this age.i know when they see me getting older they would accept her
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Wislet(f): 1:35pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^^^ smiley
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Wislet(f): 1:37pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^^^ smiley
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Outstrip(f): 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
safeact:

I laugh in yoruba! Im not yoruba so cant say 4 sure bt its left 4 u to verify and get their consents b4 doing anything! Let me share a sma£ tori wit u. During my service year, i v corp member girl who was a yoruba, she was opposed marrying a guy (stil from yoruba) by d her parents just dis your case, after persistent pleas and dragings, d duo went and got married in a friends church who is a pastor plus their court marriage to give it legal backing! In d far north, where we served, d man once came and visited her, dnt forget that every night with d help of midnight calls, they will always pray to bind and cast watever against their union from 12.30 to 4.30am. D judgement day came, after d man's visit, d woman took in, later on, she fell sick and despite all that was done to save her, my neighbour just died like that. As if it was not enough, d parents said they wil take d corpse as they never recognised any marriage that took place. So my dear b wise if u lv your gal and ursf. There might be something that they have seen that u hv not seen! Tread with caution.

So what does all this mean? The only thing it means is that their parents are very wicked and need to pray that God allows their soul to see heaven for the pain they brought on their children by making them go though hell for no just reason. Everybody is a child of God and unless the parents have a good reason for them to be wary then really they need to be quiet because they are not God.
This mentality of going along with something simply because someone says it is why Nigerians cannot put things together to solve their problems. Going through life with slave mentality. You have no right to your own happiness. You have no right to do this or do that when it is right that God has already given you. How can you base a life long decision as an adult on the idea that "daddy said it so it must be so". There is no marriage that is a walk in the park whether daddy said it is good or not.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by skfa1: 2:56pm On Apr 29, 2010
temmytanny:

this tradition is killing legitimate to be marriages and building about to breakup ones.this is one of the things causing many divorces now adays.

am dating a girl from akwa ibom and my yoruba family dont like such idea. i tried look for yoruba girl of my choice dat would better her,hav not seen,am getting older and many waiting for me to marry.what should i now do?

my brother listen to your heart b4 you act cos they wouldnt stay with you when its getting better or worse.my worry is your parents blessing to the marriage.dont marry at their back but keep letting them know why she is the one u truly love.one day tradition would change by force

as for me,i stil dey with my akwa ibom babe ooooo.i will only leave her if she messes up.nobody can tell me what to do at this age.i know when they see me getting older they would accept her

My own na IMO babe , come see how my sister dey rake for me o, say make i go find yoruba girl like say na she born me, i never tell my parents cause i know say na fire for fire. All this tribal issue na wah o.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by temmytanny(m): 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2010
like i said before,no can influence my decision not even tribe or tradition

i will only leave the girl if she messes up.

and if my parents insist,NO marriage
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by sayso: 10:34am On Apr 30, 2010
Nigerian Movies set
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Emperoh(m): 10:35am On Apr 30, 2010
I expected the Yoruba goons in da house to educate us on this part of their tradition!!

OR i just think its the old way syndrome of the parent of the guy involved.
There is no blood relationship whatsoever so i don't see why they can't marry!!!
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by sley4life(m): 10:41am On Apr 30, 2010
folaski:

u are a nui/sance 2 proceed with or without ur parents consent. If they agree with with ur irrespective of the ur sis in-law relationship with ur fiance then ok. But don't proceed without their blessing.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Lisakingsdauta: 10:56am On Apr 30, 2010
Wow this is reli bad,but dnt do anith witout their consent which can bring conseqnces,talk to them,n if u r strong xtain then pray God wil surely direct u.i wish u wel.[color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by MONAGHAN: 11:47am On Apr 30, 2010
what can i say, let me start by saying congrats, to both u and your uncle for keeping it in the family
but if your uncle can not see the good side of this , kindly tell him to use this as opportunity to divorce his wife
or use the an gar to take a second wife ,another alternative for your uncle is to do wife swap with his neghour
simply because
oto to la wa ye
mi o se aye a laye
grin grin cheesy
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by otukpo(f): 11:49am On Apr 30, 2010
temmytanny:

my brother listen to your heart b4 you act cos they wouldnt stay with you when its getting better or worse.my worry is your parents blessing to the marriage.dont marry at their back but keep letting them know why she is the one u truly love.one day tradition would change by force

i trust them babes.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 30, 2010
otukpo:

i trust them babes.

I can already picture her to be beautiful. smiley
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by kufreabasi(m): 12:15pm On Apr 30, 2010
An idiom in my place says, 'if an in-law's family or place is good, there's need to go for a second time'. You had made your choice for long a time and your appointed time you ahve been praying to God for is at hand. so that it will not seems as God doesnt answers prayer and this your fiancee in question is not your blood sister nor your relation, guy go ahead with your proposal.
Note that whosever findeth a wife, findeth good thing and obtain favour from the Lord.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by dadafay: 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2010
Mine is kind of unique, i have been going out with a girl who is yoruba as myself only she is ijebu, which didnt go down well with my parent. dey tried to put an end to our relationship but we endured. We started our relationship 11 years ago when both families were family friends, but when my parent discovered that we had something going the family friendship ended, it has been arunning battle since then.

A lot transpired along the way, my parent claiming that dey have prayed about it that there is nothing that wil come out of the union, but today, i have a son and we will be making our union legal very very soon. my parent hostility towards her has reduced, she even calls my wife behind my back to ask of her well being. IT PAID OFF
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by otukpo(f): 12:54pm On Apr 30, 2010
i sorry for the poster. U no go fit leave the babe.
Is it their delicacy or their bedmatic abilities?
They know how to snatch a married man's heart not to talk of a single one.
Once u are hooked, no going back. and i wonder the Y girl dt will beat her to it.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 30, 2010
otukpo:

i sorry for the poster. U no go fit leave the babe.
Is it their delicacy or their bedmatic abilities?
They know how to snatch a married man's heart not to talk of a single one.
Once u are hooked, no going back. and i wonder the Y girl dt will beat her to it.

The poster's babe is yoruba just liek him.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Radiant(f): 1:21pm On Apr 30, 2010
dadafay:

Mine is kind of unique, i have been going out with a girl who is yoruba as myself only she is ijebu, which didnt go down well with my parent. dey tried to put an end to our relationship but we endured. We started our relationship 11 years ago when both families were family friends, but when my parent discovered that we had something going the family friendship ended, it has been arunning battle since then.

A lot transpired along the way, my parent claiming that dey have prayed about it that there is nothing that wil come out of the union, but today, i have a son and we will be making our union legal very very soon. my parent hostility towards her has reduced, she even calls my wife behind my back to ask of her well being. IT PAID OFF

Isn't that a brave step?

But I think the poster's story is different even though it doesn't make sense to me.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by olayinkaj2(m): 3:13pm On Apr 30, 2010
Hmmmm! tradition tradition tradition, this tradition of a thing go spoil many things o. God help them.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 30, 2010
Well tradition will always be tradition, and only our ancestors know what they saw before making that as a tradition.
But then I dont see anything wrong in that, he is an uncle and not a brother, if it were to be ur brother's wife it would hav been another story,
But then we only live once, omo enjoy ur life jor, no let any tradition deprive u jare
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Akosbaba(m): 3:56pm On Apr 30, 2010
I doubt it if u nd ur uncle were to marry sistas 4rm adenugas family and sum f**king tradition wud be a stumbling block.lol
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Radiant(f): 4:22pm On Apr 30, 2010
Akosbaba:

I doubt it if u nd your uncle were to marry sistas 4rm adenugas family and sum f**king tradition wud be a stumbling block.lol

Tradition get level na wink grin
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by cantell(m): 4:23pm On Apr 30, 2010
safeact:

I laugh in yoruba! Im not yoruba so cant say 4 sure bt its left 4 u to verify and get their consents b4 doing anything! Let me share a sma£ tori wit u. During my service year, i v corp member girl who was a yoruba, she was opposed marrying a guy (stil from yoruba) by d her parents just dis your case, after persistent pleas and dragings, d duo went and got married in a friends church who is a pastor plus their court marriage to give it legal backing! In d far north, where we served, d man once came and visited her, dnt forget that every night with d help of midnight calls, they will always pray to bind and cast watever against their union from 12.30 to 4.30am. D judgement day came, after d man's visit, d woman took in, later on, she fell sick and despite all that was done to save her, my neighbour just died like that. As if it was not enough, d parents said they wil take d corpse as they never recognised any marriage that took place. So my dear b wise if u lv your gal and ursf. There might be something that they have seen that u hv not seen! Tread with caution.
@Poster,
I've heard this kind of story. If they do not want you to marry their daughter, there's no point pushing it. It could end up badly.
In some places in Igboland, if the parents of a lady refuses to give their daughter's hand in marriage and you marry the girl without their consent, wahala fit dey.
First, they'll deny ever knowing you, if anything happens to her(like if she's seriously sick or dead).
If she's dead, be ready for real trouble. They'll first of all accuse you of killing their daughter. By the time you fight ur way out of that, it'll seem like eternity. When they eventually accept that you did not kill her,they'll make sure you pay for everything that comes out during the burial and even more.
Bros, don't listen to people who barely know their culture. They'll mislead you and when you get into trouble, they wouldn't be there to help out.
Try ur best to reason with her people and if their answer is still no, look for another woman.
Nothing is too much trouble for love doesn't apply here.
@offtopic,
This also applies to guys that keep women in their house without being married to them. If anything happens to them, d same kind of treatment would go to the person.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 30, 2010
^^^^ well if u r not in luv with her then u can say all this and feel no pain
if u luv her very much she is worth every trouble. i want to beleive men like u would prefer tradition over luv well Kudos

for me i would choose luv anyday over tradition, let the uncle go fuXk himself.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by Ninapha(f): 5:54pm On Apr 30, 2010
@sley4life

u are a nui/sance 2 proceed with or without your parents consent. If they agree with with your irrespective of the your sis in-law relationship with your fiance then ok. But don't proceed without their blessing.

Your reply is so annoying and i hope you would learn to respond to issues especially sensitive ones like love/marriages.

So you expect him to just follow the parents' will without even any consideration to his feelings or that of the lady in question. You really surprised me.
Re: Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love by HARDDON: 6:26pm On Apr 30, 2010
wow, thank the heavens ma family arent like that and wor tradition is dere? cant remember although, i am a PRINCE, and a royal blood flowin in am vains, which wud hv made it really worst, but i can marry frm anywhere ,

sowie poster

dnt knw wor to say or advise

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Verbal Abuse VS Physical Abuse, Which Is Worse? / Is Your Spouse Treating You Like A Child? / Men Beware! This Can End That Lovely Marriage/relationship Silently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.