Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Is Your Spouse Treating You Like A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Your Spouse Treating You Like A Child? (6429 Views)

My Brother Is Like A Houseboy To His Wife / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Your Spouse Treating You Like A Child? by zboyd: 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2014
When someone says that they are sick of their husband or wife treating them like a child, what comes to your mind? What is being treated like a child like? What do we adults mean when we say that? Below are two letters from a husband and a wife who say their spouses are treating them like children.

How would YOU advise this husband?

MY WIFE TREATS ME LIKE A CHILD

Dear Nairalanders:

"I am a 45-year-old man. I have been married to my wife for 15 years and we have two children. The first two years were my happiest but since then it has been downhill. I feel like an abused man but I do not know what is abuse. I have never told anyone about the way I feel but the more I read about women’s abuse, I feel it describes my situation at home. I walk on eggshells around my wife because I am tired of hearing her scream abusive insults at me. My self-esteem is shot. I feel I can not leave her because no one else would want a loser like me. She speaks to me like you would not even speak to your child. She orders me around and if her friends are around she would say 'go get this' or 'shut up', if I offer an opinion.

I feel worse than our pet dog. She treats the dog like a human, then she wonders why she feels I am no longer attracted to her. I hate her but I cannot leave her. I feel trapped and dehumanized by my wife. The only thing she has not done is to try to hit me physically. I am so happy to go to work each day because there is compassion and respect with my colleagues. I believe that’s what keeps me going because some days I feel so down that there seems to be no point. I have tried talking to my wife about the way I feel and she says that I should be a man and stop whining. I have to leave but I need my children. How can I do this?

Signed,

Despondent

Reference: globalcounselor.com
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How would YOU advise this wife?

MY HUSBAND TREATS ME LIKE A CHILD

Dear Nairalanders:

My husband treats me like a child! I am at the end of my tether. My husband is 35 and i am 26 and he treats me like a child all the time. We've been married for 7 years and have a 3-year old little girl. He has always been a little bit of a stress-head but since our little girl was born he has become so bad. It's reached a point now that I can't take it anymore. I'm not a push over and I stand up to him, but it doesn't make any difference. For instance, we went out on our bikes the other day and at one point I was on the wrong side of the road, but it was brief and we were on a quiet side street; he just started shouting at me 'get to where you should be! your doing it wrong!!' I just ignored him, but later he started saying things like, 'If that's how you use a bike, how can I trust that you will respect the rules of the road, while driving the car with our daughter in it?', Then, if I am ever going anywhere in the car, he wants to know where I am going, how I will get there, which motorway I will use. He wants to print maps out for me and lectures me on safe driving. I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 8 YRS AND NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT!!!!!! He tries to say it's because he cares about us but really, it's because he doesn't trust me. When our daughter was younger, he used to ring me up and ask what id given her for her dinner and if she was getting her 5 a day. When he is a passenger in the car with me, he is always flinching and jumping about and shouting at me, even though I'm driving normally.

When I go out to a friend's, which is very rare, he'll ring me 4 times to ask when I'm coming home and, when I do come home, he'll spy on me out of the window, when I'm in the taxi, or the car of the person who's given me a lift home. Then when I come in, he'll ask what took so long. I just wish he'd give me a bit of space and afford me some credibility as an adult. When he questions me, I don't give him what he wants. I refuse to answer and, I explain how I feel but he just says I'm wrong and out of order. I can't take it anymore. Please help!

Signed,

Desperate

Source: yahooanswers.com / Family & Relationships - Marriage & Divorce
Re: Is Your Spouse Treating You Like A Child? by KanwuliaJara: 9:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
He can't help it!
He is a CONTROL FREAK! Nor be Naija man? cheesy
I just ignore him and do what I damn well please anyway!
No barry can treat you the way you dun wanno be treated!

If you put up with it. . .YOUR BUSINESS! DIE DIA!!!kiss

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love / How To Catch A Cheating Wife, Husband, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Etc (pics) / Verbal Abuse VS Physical Abuse, Which Is Worse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.