Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,568 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Corolla 04 Gear Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Corolla 04 Gear Issue (8888 Views)

Reverse gear issue When Engine Is Cold / Toyota Camry 2007 Model Gear Issue / Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 9:08am On Mar 05, 2018
Good morning everyone, i will make it short, on my way to work this morning, after climbing a bump I noticed that the gear suddenly didnt respond, as if the gear is in neutral. I parked and switched off the engine, restart and engage the gear yet the car didn t move. I 've called my mechanic to check it while I join a cab to work. Gear hasn't been worked on before, gear oil is intact (faint pink). Please any suggestion because I don't trust all these kazeems. Car is corolla sport 04. c.c Gazzuzz, autologic, deportivo.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:41am On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
Good morning everyone, i will make it short, on my way to work this morning, after climbing a bump I noticed that the gear suddenly didnt respond, as if the gear is in neutral. I parked and switched off the engine, restart and engage the gear yet the car didn t move. I 've called my mechanic to check it while I join a cab to work. Gear hasn't been worked on before, gear oil is intact (faint pink). Please any suggestion because I don't trust all these kazeems. Car is corolla sport 04. c.c Gazzuzz, autologic, deportivo.

C.V joints. (Aka shaft)

It's a corrola, gear does not fail easily.

2 Likes

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Inception(m): 9:59am On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:

CV joint is one.

Was the gear selector cable checked?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:03am On Mar 05, 2018
Inception:

CV joint is one.

Was the gear selector cable checked?

I ruled out Selector cable because a pothole is involved (shock)
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 12:20pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

C.V joints. (Aka shaft)

It's a corrola, gear does not fail easily.
My mechanic said i need to replace the gear completely. Imagine just like that. I am very worried right now.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 12:22pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I ruled out Selector cable because a pothole is involved (shock)
They said the cable is ok. it was a very gentle bump, in fact other people inside the car didnt feel the small bump.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by autologic: 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
My mechanic said i need to replace the gear completely. Imagine just like that. I am very worried right now.
Ask him for the basis why he feel the gear must be replaced.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 12:28pm On Mar 05, 2018
autologic:

Ask him for the basis why he feel the gear must be replaced.
He just said the gear has failed and it is better i replaced out rightly.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:59pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
He just said the gear has failed and it is better i replaced out rightly.

where is the car? Send location

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 2:12pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

where is the car? Send location
Location is Ilorin. I just wish the car appear in your workshop.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:16pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:

it is not gear.

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by RZArecta2(m): 5:38pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
replace gear just like that ? Pls celebrate Easter for your mechanic grin
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 6:03pm On Mar 05, 2018
I don't think it's a gearbox failure. Where is the car at the moment?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2018
cyborg123:
I don't think it's a gearbox failure. Where is the car at the moment?
Ilorin
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2018
RZArecta2:
replace gear just like that ? Pls celebrate Easter for your mechanic grin
I am weary of all these kazeems.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
Ilorin
I meant, is it at your mechanic's workshop?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2018
cyborg123:

I meant, is it at your mechanic's workshop?
Yes, the car has been towed to his workshop. Just don't know what to do.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 6:13pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

it is not gear.
Oga Gazzuzz, Please do you have any competent hands in Ilorin for referral?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 6:16pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
Yes, the car has been towed to his workshop. Just don't know what to do.
I don't think your mechanic is right / honest. I would have given you my mechanic's number but no mechanic will work in someone else's workshop.

However, there's a way to test for damaged shafts. You can force him to do that if he hasn't.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:20pm On Mar 05, 2018
cyborg123:

I don't think your mechanic is right / honest. I would have given you my mechanic's number but no mechanic will work in someone else's workshop.

However, there's a way to test for damaged shafts. You can force him to do that if he hasn't.

Geovidal let me teach you a quick way to know your gear is good.

Go to workshop, start car, put it in drive, depress accelerator, if the speedometer moves gear is fine,
call police grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Go to workshop, start car, put it in drive, depress accelerator, if the speedometer moves gear is fine,
call police grin
wink
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 6:55pm On Mar 05, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

call police grin
thanks going there right away. Morning Oga Gazzuzz, I 've carried out the test, It's only the one on the left side (RPM) that moves when I depressed the accelerator. They also inspect the shaft, and found no problem. My mech took me to a someone that specializes in transmission repairs and gave me assurance that he can repair it or to change it completely. Please I need professional advice before I take action. Can transmission really be repaired? Or save money to buy another transmission, what is the likely cost? Thanks
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 8:42pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
thanks going there right away.
Feedback?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 9:29pm On Mar 05, 2018
cyborg123:

Feedback?
I am beginning to suspect my mechanic, i saw the car in his workshop but told me the man that towed the vehicle did not drop the key. Just imagine. May be he has a hidden agenda. I will hold him responsible if anything goes missing till tomorrow. Our initial agreement was to tow the vehicle to my friends house before he changed his mind. I will keep you guys posted.

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by scarplanet(m): 11:44pm On Mar 05, 2018
geovidal:
I am beginning to suspect my mechanic, i saw the car in his workshop but told me the man that towed the vehicle did not drop the key. Just imagine. May be he has a hidden agenda. I will hold him responsible if anything goes missing till tomorrow. Our initial agreement was to tow the vehicle to my friends house before he changed his mind. I will keep you guys posted.

Chai... Na wa oo
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Justbright(m): 2:38am On Mar 06, 2018
Am very much interested in hw dis eventually pan out.....another lesson learnt
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by sultaan(m): 5:32am On Mar 06, 2018
OP, think about this idea.

If they Jack up both front wheels off the ground then start the car and put the transmission in drive the front wheel should start spinning then look at the drive shaft front the transmission to the wheels and see if your CV has disintegrated.

Gazzuzz referred to the CV because it is the weakest point between the transmission and wheels.

It is improbable that both CV failed simultaneously, but plausible that one was bad initially and when the second one went out both snapped which was the slight bump you felt not the road

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 10:37am On Mar 06, 2018
Morning Oga Gazzuzz, I 've carried out the test, It's only the one on the left side (RPM) that moves when I depressed the accelerator. They also inspect the shaft, and found no problem. My mech took me to a someone that specializes in transmission repairs and gave me assurance that he can repair it or to change it completely. Please I need professional advice before I take action. Can transmission really be repaired? Or save money to buy another transmission, what is the likely cost? Thanks
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:14am On Mar 06, 2018
geovidal:
Morning Oga Gazzuzz, I 've carried out the test, It's only the one on the left side (RPM) that moves when I depressed the accelerator. They also inspect the shaft, and found no problem. My mech took me to a someone that specializes in transmission repairs and gave me assurance that he can repair it or to change it completely. Please I need professional advice before I take action. Can transmission really be repaired? Or save money to buy another transmission, what is the likely cost? Thanks

I have NEVER seen a toyota transmission fail that way from stock

3 Likes

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by kingreign(m): 11:45am On Mar 06, 2018
Kazeem fit don disconnect harness from gearbox to deceive OP or the gearbox sump fit don dent inside.

2 Likes

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I have NEVER seen a toyota transmission fail that way from stock
hmmm, make I go find another sikiru to inspect it.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 12:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
kingreign:
Kazeem fit don disconnect harness from gearbox to deceive OP or the gearbox sump fit don dent inside.
can the sump be repaired.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Innoson Full Option Fox And Umu Selling Now At 2.5m- Pictures / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? / How Much Is EOD Engine At Ladipo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.