Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Corolla 04 Gear Issue - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Corolla 04 Gear Issue (8956 Views)

Reverse gear issue When Engine Is Cold / Toyota Camry 2007 Model Gear Issue / Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Inception(m): 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2018
kingreign:
Kazeem fit don disconnect harness from gearbox to deceive OP or the gearbox sump fit don dent inside.
Another very likely scenario
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
I just remembered my sister's Toyota Matrix gearbox failed in a similar manner last year and the gear was replaced.

Your mechanic might be right, geovidal.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 5:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
cyborg123:
I just remembered my sister's Toyota Matrix gearbox failed in a similar manner last year and the gear was replaced.

Your mechanic might be right, geovidal.
please how much does the corolla 04 gear cost.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by cyborg123(m): 5:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
geovidal:
Cc: gazzuzz, honmusa, crixie, et al.

I have no idea. But I hope someone that knows will reply soon.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
geovidal:

cost in market is 60k

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Kashif(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
Strange. No forward, no reverse? Just like that.

Check sump. Is the input shaft spinning?
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 7:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

cost in market is 60k
thanks
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 7:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
Kashif:
Strange. No forward, no reverse? Just like that.

Check sump. Is the input shaft spinning?
Yes o, just like that. Shaft not spinning.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Kashif(m): 7:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
geovidal:
Yes o, just like that. Shaft not spinning.

The input shaft I am referring to is the one that enters the gearbox. You won't know unless you put a scanner. Is your sump dented?

Raise the front tyres and see if they spin in D.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Alvin007: 9:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
Dear op, did you scan this car... (transmission codes) at all?...I think you should do that before concluding on replacing your gearbox.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by NobleEngineer(m): 11:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
most of the mechanics in ilorin are very incompetent. Especially when you have a highly technical issue with your car, you feel like giving up. My car still rattles on acceleration till today (no CEL or error codes thrown) no mechanic in town could fix it. last last i was told "na so Toyota engine dey do" lwkmd.
OP lets collabo and tow our vehicles to Gazzuz's workshop in lagos.

cc: Gazzuz

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 11:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
Alvin007:
Dear op, did you scan this car... (transmission codes) at all?...I think you should do that before concluding on replacing your gearbox.
I will scan tomorrow thanks.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 11:34pm On Mar 06, 2018
NobleEngineer:
most of the mechanics in ilorin are very incompetent. Especially when you have a highly technical issue with your car, you feel like giving up. My car still rattles on acceleration till today (no CEL or error codes thrown) no mechanic in town could fix it. last last i was told "na so Toyota engine dey do" lwkmd.
OP lets collabo and tow our vehicles to Gazzuz's workshop in lagos.

cc: Gazzuz
from Ilorin to Lagos. Do you think it's feasible? How much do you think it would cost
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 11:36pm On Mar 06, 2018
Kashif:

The input shaft I am referring to is the one that enters the gearbox. You won't know unless you put a scanner. Is your sump dented?

Raise the front tyres and see if they spin in D.
ok sir
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:41am On Mar 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Geovidal let me teach you a quick way to know your gear is good.

Go to workshop, start car, put it in drive, depress accelerator, if the speedometer moves gear is fine,
call police grin

this is wrong for a 2004 corrola.

There is no vSS on the gearbox for output speed to the cluster.

The 2002-2003 has a VSS on the gearbox.

The test above will not move the needle because the wheel speed sensors transfer information Via abs unit to the cluster.

Tow your car home we will continue diagnosis from there.

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

The test above will not move the needle because the wheel speed sensors transfer information Via abs unit to the cluster.

This is getting complicated, I have towed the car to my house. I just want to solve the problem once and for all cos it has hindered me from doing so many things. My work place is outskirts of Ilorin 2hrs drive to and fro.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by autologic: 1:32pm On Mar 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

No sir ,The corolla of that model still take vehicle speed signal from VSS located on the gearbox

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by autologic: 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
geovidal:
This is getting complicated, I have towed the car to my house. I just want to solve the problem once and for all cos it has hindered me from doing so many things. My work place is outskirts of Ilorin 2hrs drive to and fro.
your transmission need thorough diagnosis
Call engr (0803 391 6844) he will sort you out.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2018
autologic:

your transmission need thorough diagnosis
Call engr (0803 391 6844) he will sort you out.
Thanks
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 10:03am On Mar 09, 2018
To update you guys, car still at home. I 've been busy throughout the week due to nature of my work but hopefully I will try more hands to diagnose the problem.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by geovidal(m): 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2018
geovidal:
To update you guys, car still at home. I 've been busy throughout the week due to nature of my work but hopefully I will try more hands to diagnose the problem.
Vehicle has been scanned. The following codes are shown:
1. P0741, torque converter stuck.
2. P0974
3. P0977
4. P2716.
Please help a brother. Gazzuzz, kingreign, kashif,autologic. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:30pm On Mar 10, 2018
geovidal:
2. P0974
3. P0977
4. P2716.

all electrical, and circuit related.

Please call me codes do not make any sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
sounds electrical, all 2 of those codes are solenoid related, what are the odds that two different solenoids fail the same time?
last code is a tranny related limp mode code, so yep sounds electrical and not mechanical

since ur kazeem cannot understand what is happening, he wants the shortest and fastest way out .... replacing transmission - cos a replacement has a better chance of having working solenoids, a rebuild might work.... but he failed to acknowledge ecm and wiring!

Gazuzz has got ur back tho, seems highly electrical and not mechanical

what I'd do.... I'll check trans dipstick and level, jack front end of vehicle, start the car, put it in gear and try clearing the codes..... a Bluetooth scanner would be very efficient here as u would be able to see if the CV joints and wheel move WHEN/IF the codes are cleared...
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by ruby360: 11:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
Your Gear cable simply unhooked maybe because the way you use it.

The need to dissemble the plastic covers and attach it back. if you listen to that stupid mechanic then you are a mugu.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Inception(m): 11:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
geovidal:
2. P0974
3. P0977
4. P2716.

Check that all electrical harness connectors to the gearbox is firmly in place.

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:28pm On Mar 10, 2018
Inception:

Check that all electrical harness connectors to the gearbox is firmly in place .

seems the socket just came off.
Geodeval go and push down all the sockets in this area down your self, it is under the battery area. Push harness down firmly, also check if rodents( rats) have been nibbling on your wires in same area.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Nobody: 3:07am On Mar 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

God of mechanic for nairaland for don close shop if not for Google. But what do I know? lipsrsealed
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by FreshMekanik: 5:50am On Mar 11, 2018
desquad:
God of mechanic for nairaland for don close shop if not for Google. But what do I know? lipsrsealed

Young man what are you insinuating? shift let me see road.

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by oluwaseunla(m): 6:51am On Mar 11, 2018
Geovidal, you can call this guy in Ilorin:

Imperial Auto Clinic
0706 771 8297.

Never met him, but I was told he is foreign trained. Hopefully, he may be able to help since he is local. He used to operate a workshop inside Lubcon station beside stadium a few years ago, but I think he has moved.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by oluwaseunla(m): 7:05am On Mar 11, 2018
desquad:

Apparently, you know nothing about the subject matter sir.
Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by kingreign(m): 7:09am On Mar 11, 2018
desquad:

Why are you so myopic and filled with hatred jealousy and negative vibes?

1 Like

Re: Corolla 04 Gear Issue by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 11, 2018
desquad:
I dropped this line cos I've anticipated his sheeples would come for my head as usual, every other person who counter their god knows nothing. God of mechanic (aka Google keyboard warrior) knows it all

Tow your car home we will continue Google searching from there.

But what do I know?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Safety Precautions To Observe When Jacking Up Your Car / 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres / How Can One Know When The Leg Of Honda Car Is About To Pull Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.