Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? (13109 Views)

I'm A Muslim, My 2 Wives Are Christians, My Children Are Confused - Asari Dokubo / Simon Odo ‘King Of Satan’ Dies: Enugu Native Doctor Who Married 59 Wives Is Dead / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 05, 2018
this is Aimed at Christian edification, can a Christian marry two or more wives? is it a sin? since it's not written in the law, ?
(please I hope the purpose of this question is discerned by friends)
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 06, 2018
are the pastors running?
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 06, 2018
Polygamy is not supported in Christianity. Non of Christ teaching on the subject matter supports polygamy
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
Polygamy is not supported in Christianity. Non of Christ teaching on the subject matter supports polygamy

the situation is, I had a conversation with a bro, he was like since it's not written in the law then how can I prove that marrying two wives is a sin, he even said he is ready to marry two wives, he is a Christian and does read his Bible
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 06, 2018
Ferisidowu:

the situation is, I had a conversation with a bro, he was like since it's not written in the law then how can I prove that marrying two wives is a sin, he even said he is ready to marry two wives, he is a Christian and does read his Bible
for this purpose shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife(not wives) and they twain (not triple or quadruple) shall be one flesh.. Its is in the Bible na
Matt19:5, mark 10:7, Ephesians 5:31
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by MightySparrow: 9:37am On Mar 06, 2018
Are peopte still discussing this topic? I think a half of a woman is enough for wife.
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by CandidSeeker(m): 9:44am On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
for this purpose shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife(not wives) and they twain (not triple or quadruple) shall be one flesh.. Its is in the Bible na

Ephesians.5:31 refers to Genesis 2:24

Genesis 2:24 NKJV
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

After which God didn't condemn polygamy.

Abraham (righteous friend of God) had other women aside Sarah & Haggar:

Genesis 25:1, 6 NKJV
Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah.

[6] But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.

Jacob had four wives:
Leah, Rachael, Bilha & Zilpha -Gen.35:23-27

Jewish Law:

Deuteronomy 21:15-17 NKJV
"If a man has two wives, one loved and the other unloved, and they have borne him children, both the loved and the unloved, and if the firstborn son is of her who is unloved,
[16] then it shall be, on the day he bequeaths his possessions to his sons, that he must not bestow firstborn status on the son of the loved wife in preference to the son of the unloved, the true firstborn.
[17] But he shall acknowledge the son of the unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his.

Exodus 21:10 NKJV
If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

God didn't condemn David for taking other wives except Batsheva (who even ended up giving birth to Solomon):

1 Kings 15:5 NKJV
because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

2 Samuel 12:8 NKJV
I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more!

Gideon (choice judge):
Judges 8:30-31 NKJV
Gideon had seventy sons who were his own offspring, for he had many wives. [31] And his concubine who was in Shechem also bore him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.

There's now only one & new commandment:

John 13:34 NKJV
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 06, 2018
CandidSeeker:

Ephesians.5:31 refers to Genesis 2:24

Genesis 2:24 NKJV
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

After which God didn't condemn polygamy.

Abraham (righteous friend of God) had other women aside Sarah & Haggar:

Genesis 25:1, 6 NKJV
Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah.

[6] But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.

Jacob had four wives:
Leah, Rachael, Bilha & Zilpha -Gen.35:23-27

Jewish Law:

Deuteronomy 21:15-17 NKJV
"If a man has two wives, one loved and the other unloved, and they have borne him children, both the loved and the unloved, and if the firstborn son is of her who is unloved,
[16] then it shall be, on the day he bequeaths his possessions to his sons, that he must not bestow firstborn status on the son of the loved wife in preference to the son of the unloved, the true firstborn.
[17] But he shall acknowledge the son of the unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his.

Exodus 21:10 NKJV
If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

God didn't condemn David for taking other wives except Batsheva (who even ended up giving birth to Solomon):

1 Kings 15:5 NKJV
because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

2 Samuel 12:8 NKJV
I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more!

Gideon (choice judge):
Judges 8:30-31 NKJV
Gideon had seventy sons who were his own offspring, for he had many wives. [31] And his concubine who was in Shechem also bore him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.

There's now only one & new commandment:

John 13:34 NKJV
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

see how you try to muddle up scripture.. The Gen 2:25 you quoted where the institution of marriage was established, was it before or after the fall of man?

can you check the topic of the thread again? Can a "Christian".. A Christian follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came to restore man from his fallen state. There is no where in the new testament where Jesus or Apostles approved to polygamy. Infact Jesus even condemned divorce and said it was given in the old testament because of hardeness of mans heart..

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 12:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
undecided have you ever seen a wedding ceremony for three or more individuals (a man and 2 women)?
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 12:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
see how you try to muddle up scripture.. The Gen 2:25 you quoted where the institution of marriage was established, was it before or after the fall of man?

can you check the topic of the thread again? Can a "Christian".. A Christian follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came to restore man from his fallen state. There is no where in the new testament where Jesus or Apostles approved to polygamy. Infact Jesus even condemned divorce and said it was given in the old testament because of hardeness of mans heart..
shocked wait how does condemning divorce have anything do with with having 2 wives shocked

is it not simple, don't divorce your unloved wife just marry another but treat them both fairly.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by EVarn(m): 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
The bible never specifically said it is a sin, its the way most modern christians interprete the bible that makes the matter more controversial.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 06, 2018
jamescross:
undecided have you ever seen a wedding ceremony for three or more individuals (a man and 2 women)?
you haven't? Fela married 20+ ladies in a day.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
jamescross:
shocked wait how does condemning divorce have anything do with with having 2 wives shocked

is it not simple, don't divorce your unloved wife just marry another but treat them both fairly.
in the same place he condemned divorce, he brought them back to the book of Genesis where the marriage was instituted. He said "in the beginning it was not so" "they two shall be one flesh "
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
EVarn:
The bible never specifically said it is a sin, its the way most modern christians interprete the bible that makes the matter more controversial.
how more do you expect the Bible to say it was a sin when Jesus already said "two shall be one flesh"?
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by ifenes(m): 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
Religion does indeed controls the mind. Well done to those who created Christianity! I am yet to see a more efficient mind control system.
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 12:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
you haven't? Fela married 20+ ladies in a day.
nope shocked, but ofcourse it's possible and that is a ceremony cheesy

only bishops (those in pastoral ministring) were instructed to have one wife. if all the men had one wives has a norm i don't think that would have been mentioned.
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:59pm On Mar 06, 2018
ifenes:
Religion does indeed controls the mind. Well done to those who created Christianity! I am yet to see a more efficient mind control system.

cheesy
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by EVarn(m): 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
how more do you expect the Bible to say it was a sin when Jesus already said "two shall be one flesh"?
That is the concept of marriage, two people becoming one. The bible never said anything against becoming "one" with more than one woman.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101:
in the same place he condemned divorce, he brought them back to the book of Genesis where the marriage was instituted. He said "in the beginning it was not so" "they two shall be one flesh "
with the aim and motive of condemning divorce, (legal seperation).
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 1:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
EVarn:
it evolved into a modern sin grin

women slowly taking over the world

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by EVarn(m): 1:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
jamescross:
it evolved into a modern sin grin

women slowly taking over the world
Lol....
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
jamescross:
nope shocked, but ofcourse it's possible and that is a ceremony cheesy

only bishops (those in pastoral ministring) were instructed to have one wife. if all the men had one wives has a norm i don't think that would have been mentioned.
lets borrow from your logic...

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1 Timothy 3:1‭-‬4 KJV

So what you are saying is that its only those in pastoral ministring that are supposed to be

blameless
the husband of one wife,
vigilant
sober
of good behaviour
given to hospitality
apt to teach
Not given to wine
no striker
not greedy of filthy lucre
but patient
not a brawler
not covetous
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity.

Is that what you are saying? Is there a heaven for the bishop dat is different from that the congregants will go to?
Where are the bishop going to be selected from? Aren't some of the congregants gonna be bishops some day?
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by jamescross: 1:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
salvation101 it's the pastoral ministries criteria.

there is a reason for those criteria. it is not a criteria for making heaven, it's a message (it displays, teaches and reflects a message) and has little to do with if the bishop (pastor) will make heaven or not.

your last question grin a big NO. it doesn't matter where the bishops are selected from but who is doing the selection.

it's not a list for any other office, or all offices how much more the congregation. if it were so then paul should have married a wife then.

the point is to reflect the person of Jesus has head of the church, it's said the first bishop was peter.

an evangelist can decide to remain single, a prophet can decide to take a second wife that doesn't change the fact a bishop must be married and to only one wife (it's job description) like the priests were not allowed to just marry anyone and their laws were more than that of the israelites (for a reason anyway)

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by ifenes(m): 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

cheesy

True lol. I have seen weird questions by Christians. Will god be happy if I married 2 wives ? But the dude apparently have got none himself. How could such a god know what good sex feels like smiley
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
jamescross:
salvation101 it's the pastoral ministries criteria.

there is a reason for those criteria. it is not a criteria for making heaven, it's a message (it displays, teaches and reflects a message) and has little to do with if the bishop (pastor) will make heaven or not.

your last question grin a big NO. it doesn't matter where the bishops are selected from but who is doing the selection.

it's not a list for any other office, or all offices how much more the congregation. if it were so then paul should have married a wife then.

the point is to reflect the person of Jesus has head of the church, it's said the first bishop was peter.

an evangelist can decide to remain single, a prophet can decide to take a second wife that doesn't change the fact a bishop must be married and to only one wife (it's job description) like the priests were not allowed to just marry anyone and their laws were more than that of the israelites (for a reason anyway)
I ask you to show me any where in the new testament that make polygamy permissible. At least we know Peter was married, how many wives did he marry? Is the office of a bishop greater than that of an Apostle? Apostle paul didn't marry.
Paul gave Timothy was a Bishop, the very first Bishop of Ephesus, was he married? Paul d Apostle wrote to him on the qualities he should look at before laying his hands on men to do the work of God. He listed those criterias to Timothy.

Like i said earlier, show me portions in the new testament that makes polygamy permissible. Its u same folks dat will say tithing is an old testament thing but would run to the old testament to support a belief dat has no place in Christianity
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
ifenes:

oh I see you missed your way here, I said at the beginning of the post, that it's for Christian edification, not atheistic criticism. thanks.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
see issues settled thousands of years ago.

I don't understand why some people enjoy confusing themselves.

there is no polygamy in Christianity, Jesus has restored marriage to its original prefall state, it was not so in the beginning.
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by ifenes(m): 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ubenedictus:
see issues settled thousands of years ago.

I don't understand why some people enjoy confusing themselves.

there is no polygamy in Christianity, Jesus has restored marriage to its original prefall state, it was not so in the beginning.

Was Jesus married ?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by ifenes(m): 3:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ferisidowu:

oh I see you missed your way here, I said at the beginning of the post, that it's for Christian edification, not atheistic criticism. thanks.

It’s an open thread and I’m sure I could be saving one person at least from the Christian matrix.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
ifenes:

Was Jesus married ?
no, how is that relevant?
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
ifenes:

It’s an open thread and I’m sure I could be saving one person at least from the Christian matrix.
u r only here to make a f00l of yourself. This thread is obviously beyond you. U claim to be atheist but still feel the need to be seen or heard on a religious thread
Re: Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? by sulasa07(m): 4:12pm On Mar 06, 2018
All d pastors for my area marry two wives,one at his home and another at different location. If u ask dem,dem go say it does ruin ur spirituality with GOD,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ouija Boards: Experiences and Opinions / Is It Proper For A Christian To Be Using Internet Cheat? / Do You Believe In Generational Curses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.