Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,808 members, 7,827,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives (37193 Views)

Is It Sin For Man To Have Sex Together With His Two Wives?- Man Asks Daddyfreeze / Why Do Many Christians See Drinking As Sin When It Is In The Bible? / Is It A Sin To Drop Empty Envelope In Offering Box? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 9:29am On Apr 18, 2021
I never seen anywhere in the bible where it was mandatory or compulsory for a Christian or Jew to marry one wife just the way we see it today.

All the references pastor use don't show having two wives as a sin.
One wife is more like an advice not a law

Exodus 21:10

If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights.

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered

1 Timothy 3:1-6

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; one that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (for if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by trevorhorace(m): 9:34am On Apr 18, 2021
I know it's mandatory for those who want to take up positions of authority in the church as stated in the new testament

Generally the original plan God had was for one man and one wife. ' A man shall leave his father and mother and cling unto his wife and become one flesh' .

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 9:36am On Apr 18, 2021
You will never see any place it is stated, but Jesus Himself gave a law regarding marriage. He said if you are married and you have sexual intercourse with another who is not your wife or husband, you have committed adultery. Automatically, that tells you that once you are married, any person you have an affair is tagged as an act of adultery. And that is sin. So having one wife is the only way to avoid sinning in the act of adultery

3 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:40am On Apr 18, 2021
Jesus said from the beginning God made them male and female. Thus, husband and wife (singular) and "they two shall become one".

Matthew 19:4 "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

Another thing again, Jesus says that if any man divorce his wife and marry another woman has committed adultery. And one more thing that nailed it is this again.

Mark 10:10" And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. 10:11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery."

Remember one thing that jesus said, that marrying another wife or husband is adultery. And if anyone of the die in adultery, he/she is going to hell fire because an adulterer shall not inherit the kingdom of God according to 1 corinthians 6:9

3 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 9:41am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
You will never see any place it is stated, but Jesus Himself gave a law regarding marriage. He said if you are married and you have sexual intercourse with another who is not your wife or husband, you have committed adultery. Automatically, that tells you that once you are married, any person you have an affair is tagged as an act of adultery. And that is sin. So having one wife is the only way to avoid sinning in the act of adultery
But legally getting married to two woman is not adultery since no one of the two was divorced.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Miradamian: 9:42am On Apr 18, 2021
@amishadai bring married can equally mean being married to two or more wives. So don't say (HAVING ONE WIFE) IS THE ONLY WAY OUT

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by AngelicDamsel(f): 9:44am On Apr 18, 2021
No where. While the new testament said "one man, one wife" it doesn't condemn polygamy.

Polygamy sounds archaic in this modern times.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 9:49am On Apr 18, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
No where. While the new testament said "one man, one wife" it doesn't condemn polygamy.

Polygamy sounds archaic in this modern times.
Yeah I don't like polygamy and excess children. But in a case where two ladies want to be with me, I don't see anything wrong conducting such marriage. Happy Sunday smiley

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:50am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

But legally getting married to two woman is not adultery since no one of the two was divorced.

In Christianity its a lie. It's one wife and one husband.

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 10:00am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

According to the sayings of Jesus, it's impossible to be married to two women.

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:00am On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

In Christianity its a lie. It's one wife and one husband.
Where in the bible was that mandatory?
Because Jews existed before Christianity .
Christian means Christ like. It means following the ways and teaching of Christ.
So christian marrying one wife is Al's following the teaching but was never mandatory.

Those that refuse to get married or have sex follow the way of Christ more better but doesn't mean its mandatory or sin to have wife or wives and engage in sexual activities .

Let's please apply clear understanding to what we read and learn so we won't have another pantami in future

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:03am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
According to the sayings of Jesus, it's impossible to be married to two women.
I need these saying to be quoted at my mentions. Because the teaching of Jesus went more to his twelve deciples who were to head position in spreading the gospel , hence they must be upright in all doings .

Edited:
According to 1timothy 3:1-6

Its recommend for those who will be holding high position in the house of God
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 10:07am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Where in the bible was that mandatory?
Because Jews existed before Christianity .
Christian means Christ like. It means following the ways and teaching of Christ.
So christian marrying one wife is Al's following the teaching but was never mandatory.

Those that refuse to get married or have sex follow the way of Christ more better but doesn't mean its mandatory or sin to have wife or wives and engage in sexual activities .

Let's please apply clear understanding to what we read and learn so we won't have another pantami in future

I am talking about christianity and not Judaism or any other religion. According to the bible jesus says any man or woman that marry another wife side from the first wife has committed adultery. And the same Bible says an adulterer shall not inherit the kingdom of God. I have posted the bible verses above. My stand is on the bible and what Jesus says. You don't alter what God established and go scot free. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 10:09am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

I need these saying to be quoted at my mentions. Because the teaching of Jesus went more to his twelve deciples who were to head position in spreading the gospel , hence they must be upright in all doings .

Edited:
According to 1timothy 3:1-6

Its recommend for those who will be holding high position in the house of God
Read my first post sir.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by illicit(m): 10:11am On Apr 18, 2021
Fee free

There are some things I don't take the dictates from anyone or anything

I will be a polygamist than being a serial adulterer
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by illicit(m): 10:11am On Apr 18, 2021
Fee free

There are some things I don't take the dictates from anyone or anything

I will be a polygamist than being a serial adulterer
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:20am On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

I am talking about christianity and not Judaism or any other religion. According to the bible jesus says any man or woman that marry another wife side from the first wife has committed adultery.
Let's be care not to confuse English language.
Mark 10:11-12 is very clear, and words of Jesus are variant from yours. For it deals with divorcing your wife to take another wife.
The word Put away his wife is different from a man responsible for his wives and children.
Mark 10:11‭-‬12 KJV
And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

And the same Bible says an adulterer shall not inherit the kingdom of God. I have posted the bible verses above. My stand is on the bible and what Jesus says. You don't alter what God established and go scot free. Thanks!
Your stand is on the teaching of Jesus but you're misinterpreting obviously
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:25am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Read my first post sir.
According to Jesus. 1 mark 10:11-12

Jesus said if you divorce your wife for another woman then you commit adultery.

Its different from having two wives sir

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 10:29am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

According to Jesus. 1 mark 10:11-12

Jesus said if you divorce your wife for another woman then you commit adultery.

Its different from having two wives sir
Mark 10:11-12
New International Version
11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.(A) 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

From this scripture there is no room of a second or third wife. Because once you're married, having an affair with another violates this scripture automatically. So you can't have a second wife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:34am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Mark 10:11-12
New International Version
11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.(A) 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

From this scripture there is no room of a second or third wife. Because once you're married, having an affair with another violates this scripture automatically. So you can't have a second wife.
Don't complicate context or expand it to sooth your conviction.

The context refers to divorce not polygamy.
You're expanding the scripture beyond its context.
And that is fallacy of hasty generalization.
The context refers to divorce as adultery, not a word against polygamy.

4 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by obonujoker(m): 10:35am On Apr 18, 2021
Matthew 19;4

Original plan of God for man until Satan corrupted life
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 10:37am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Don't complicate context or expand it to sooth your conviction.

The context refers to divorce not polygamy.
You're expanding the scripture beyond its context.
And that is fallacy of hasty generalization.
The context refers to divorce as adultery, not a word against polygamy.
This is not expansion ; this is the literal meaning of the text. And except you just want to argue blindly, then you just have to accept what Jesus says in that text. Period

According to scripture Jesus has stated that once you are married, you can't be remarried to another because that would be tagged as either fornication or adultery. So whichever way you look at it, no man or woman can be married twice without it being tagged as fornication or adultery

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by IgweOfNnewi: 10:41am On Apr 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 10:45am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
This is not expansion ; this is the literal meaning of the text. And except you just want to argue blindly, then you just have to accept what Jesus says in that text. Period
Literal meaning doesn't apply according to a text regarding divorce. For English language is not spiritual , and its very clear from the KJV version using the word " put away his wife" . except you claim your version a spiritual literal meaning then I'll accept your spiritual view.
Don't make English look confusing. Divorce is not polygamy, oxford dictionary never said it is.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 10:51am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Literal meaning doesn't apply according to a text regarding divorce. For English language is not spiritual , and its very clear from the KJV version using the word " put away his wife" . except you claim your version a spiritual literal meaning then I'll accept your spiritual view.
Don't make English look confusing. Divorce is not polygamy, oxford dictionary never said it is.
Shalom.
Oga, so you've shifted grounds to King James? Hahaha... Why didnt you take up other texts? Or are they not the same in translation? Mtchww...hypocrite

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 10:56am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Let's be care not to confuse English language.
Mark 10:11-12 is very clear, and words of Jesus are variant from yours. For it deals with divorcing your wife to take another wife.
The word Put away his wife is different from a man responsible for his wives and children.
Mark 10:11‭-‬12 KJV
And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Your stand is on the teaching of Jesus but you're misinterpreting obviously

Keep lying to yourself. Whether you divorce your wife your husband and marry another or you marry them more than one wife or lore than one husband, its stil adiltery.

I am done and my hand is off this matter. Always remember as long as a husband or wife marry more than one wife or husband, if he or she dies in polygamy, it is hell fire because he or she is into adultery. This is what makes Jesus and christianity different from others.

2 Likes

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:37am On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Oga, so you've shifted grounds to King James? Hahaha... Why didnt you take up other texts? Or are they not the same in translation? Mtchww...hypocrite
I've been using kvj since. I didnt just state it. My quote has been kjv.
Don't know what you're saying. Or what version of bible do you read?

Your pastors translation?

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by ABOVEDELAW: 11:42am On Apr 18, 2021
MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF UNDERSTANDING INDEED?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 11:44am On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

I've been using kvj since. I didnt just state it. My quote has been kjv.
Don't know what you're saying. Or what version of bible do you read?

Your pastors translation?
You're just a lying preacher. You never made mention of your reference being from King James version of the bible. Kindly check your initial post. And even if it were KJV, do all other translation not carry the same meaning as the verse I quote to you earlier? Just tell us you want to argue blindly so we can give room for fools to contend with you
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:

What do you call what you do with the second wife? Birthday?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2021
peteregwu:

I am talking about christianity and not Judaism or any other religion. According to the bible jesus says any man or woman that marry another wife side from the first wife has committed adultery. And the same Bible says an adulterer shall not inherit the kingdom of God. I have posted the bible verses above. My stand is on the bible and what Jesus says. You don't alter what God established and go scot free. Thanks!

But when it comes to tithes we revert back to Judaism?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

What do you call what you do with the second wife? Birthday?
Please read all my posts. I never made mention of a man being involved with a second wife

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

May God Keep Daddy Adeboye. That Man Is A True Man Of God / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Lady Who Sowed Husband's Car As Seed In The Church / Pastor Chris Mordi Arrested For Propagating Hate Speech In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.