Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,209 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17239 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 10:02am On May 29, 2010
netotse:

really? there was a time when government was open?. . .sounds hard to believe.

Guy, in Nigeria, government has never been opened!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 2:46pm On May 29, 2010
Hardtalk:

Guy, in Nigeria, government has never been opened!

How will they be open, when they are always engulfed in corrupt acts?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Oboma1(m): 11:13am On May 30, 2010
Corruption allegation: Assembly is unfair to me –Fashola
SUNDAY, 30 MAY 2010 00:00 EMMANUEL UKUDOLO
•Investigation still ongoing –EFCC

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, has broken his silence on the N10 billion fraud allegation levelled against him and his team.

Fashola had a word for his accusers, the True Face of Lagos: I am ready to defend myself.

Fashola, who spoke in Lagos on Saturday, said that he was set to defend himself provided the allegations were not rumours but facts.

He said his entire cabinet is made up of men of integrity and unquestionable character, adding that he was prepared to defend every action of his government.

The True Face of Lagos had accused Fashola and his cabinet of fraud and had petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on the issue.

Based on the petition, the EFCC arrested and detained the Chief Executive Officer of Deux Projects Limited, one of the contractors of the state government, Mr. Olatunji Olowolafe, over the execution of some projects in the state.

The contract sum involved in the case of Olowolafe was put at over N10 billion.

Olowolafe’s company was said to have executed 27 contracts for the Lagos State Ministry of Health and three for the Lagos State Ministry of Education.

Fashola, at the news conference to mark his third year in office on Saturday, however, said that his administration would not respond to allegations that are solely founded on falsehood, adding that government would only respond to allegations that are based on facts.

He said, “I remember that when these allegations came up, I said that at the appropriate time I will respond.

“We stand for our collective integrity and we stand here to defend everything that we have done.

“We will not be distracted by allegations that have no truth.”

Fashola said that while the executive arm of government carries out its responsibility of appropriating fund, the Lagos State House of Assembly (LAHA) has a supervisory role to play.

He accused the LAHA of interfering in the fraud allegation issue even when there were court orders restraining the Assembly from doing so.

He pleaded for patience from Nigerians for the issues to be resolved.

Fashola described his relationship with the officials of the Action Congress (AC) in Lagos State, the LAHA and his political godfather, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, as cordial.

He said he was with Tinubu until 11.45pm on Friday.

On the allegation that the Lagos State Government was trying to acquire the stalls at the modern Tejuosho Market, Yaba, Lagos, for its officials and a privileged few by making the cost exhorbitant, Fashola said this was not so.

He said that those making such allegation should take into consideration the cost of building materials and exchange rate of the Naira.

According to him, instead of making so much noise about the cost, Nigerians should be concerned about getting a space and paying over a period of 15 years.

The governor noted that his administration had demonstrated integrity and efficient use of public funds, adding that more residents of the state were now paying taxes voluntarily due to the good work the state government had done so far.

He said that contrary to belief of many that the residents of the state were irredeemable tax dodgers, things have changed as more people now pay taxes in Lagos.

“We have shown that impossibilities are excuses for failure and that it is always possible for a people to change whatever they do,” he explained.

He commended the people of the state for their contributions to the wind of change blowing across the state.

Fashola, however, refused to comment on whether he would seek a second term next year.

But on Saturday, the EFCC told the Nigerian Compass that the investigation into the allegations against Fashola were still ongoing.

The commission’s spokesman, Mr. Femi Babafemi, said any accused person has the right to pronounce himself innocent while it is the business of the commission to investigate the matter to the end.

He said the commission at this stage will not make any pronouncement on the case or make its findings known on the pages of newspapers.

He said when investigation is concluded and there is a need to prosecute, the commission will head for the court.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51968:corruption-allegation-assembly-is-unfair-to-me-fashola&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Oboma1(m): 11:17am On May 30, 2010
This corruption allegation has really shaken Fashola to the extend that, he has broken his silent.
The allegations are just too many, even though it is from one source, but they are very heavy.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Ourturn(m): 1:17pm On May 30, 2010
Oboma1:

This corruption allegation has really shaken Fashola to the extend that, he has broken his silent.
The allegations are just too many, even though it is from one source, but they are very heavy.

Well, I think the wisest thing to do, is attack his critics, by answering all the charges, and even the ones yet to be unravelled.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Enjoyment1(f): 7:30pm On May 30, 2010
Our-turn:

Well, I think the wisest thing to do, is attack his critics, by answering all the charges, and even the ones yet to be unravelled.

Which Nigerian leader, will do this?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by selingel: 10:49pm On May 31, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Which Nigerian leader, will do this?

No Nigerian leader will attempt this.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2010
Being critical of Fashola's government is a very sensitive issue. There are many factors that will be considered before reaching any conclusion. I used to go against building of a new airport in Lagos, but the events in MMIA of recent has changed my orientation. In fact, even that of Abuja (local) should be demolished, and a new International airport built there, while the current International be made local. We are really lacking behind.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Innoson Boss, Innocent Chukwuma Released On Bail / MTN Nigeria More Valuable Than Nigerian Banks, Insurance Companies Combined / Police Return N9.9million To Owner After It Was Mistakenly Transferred To POS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.