Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,259 members, 7,818,884 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

"Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man (433 Views)

A Lady Need Serious Advise, Pls Hide My Identity And Post For Me / Life Is A Battle / Religion Is Slowly Ruining My Happiness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by CuriousMynd: 7:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
A Leicester, United Kingdom based Nigerian took to his Facebook page to share his view about religion. According to him, he sees religion as nothing but a battle of cultural identity and supremacy.

He went further and said, we never bothered that samurais and ninjas were assassins and cold blooded murderers used by the emperor to hold his empire together, we still loved them and bear the names as nicknames. But the very sight of a native doctor, voodoo or juju man on the screen of Nollywood sends negative messages to our brains, that’s effect of presentation and representation in movies.

Read below according to Uba Acho;
"Nollywood, The Enemy Within, Part 1.
Growing up as a child, I had this dream of marrying an Indian woman, I believed then, that Indian women are the most beautiful on earth. I also fantasised about traveling to India to acquire some powerful mystic powers to protect me and family from alleged evil men.

Back then in secondary school, after watching Ninja one eye, American Ninja and Five Elements Of Ninja, many of mates took up Ninja and samurai as a guy-name (Nickname).

This is a classic example of cinematic influence, and the Bollywood, the Chinese and Japanese movie industries did an outstanding job in marketing and exporting their cultural heritage and world view. Same as Hollywood, one of America’s greatest propaganda machine, promoter and exporter of American lifestyles, culture, fashion, influence etc.

Back then and till now, I never witnessed a scene where a Christian preacher walks into a Hindu temple battled the priests, defeats them and converts the entire village to Jesus and Christianity. I never saw a scene where a Christian pastor walks into Chinese Buddha shrine or Japanese Shinto temple speaks in tongues, sprinkles holy water, waves his rosary and defeats all their powers, converts the entire village to Christianity.

Then I begin to ask, is the power of this Jesus, the Holy Ghost fire and all the anointing so powerless when matched on Krishna and lord shiva the Indian deities? Is it powerless when confronting Buddha and all the other Asian deities?

But Nollywood creates such scenes where the powerless name of Jesus in Asia, becomes so powerful against the African deities. The name of Jesus, the blood of Jesus, Holy Ghost fire and anointing are only powerful on African soil and against African deities.

Due to cinematic influence, a Nigerian can walk into any Chinese, Indian and Japanese Resturants, decorated with shrines, images and sculptures of Krishna, Lord shiva, Buddha, and he feels comfortable, enjoys his meal, but try decorating your Resturant with shrines and images of Shango, Ogun, Ikenga, Amadioha in Nigeria
, you become an evil man, blood ritualist, an occult, a witch and your Resturant might be in danger of a mob action.

We never bothered that samurais and ninjas were assassins and cold blooded murderers used by the emperor to hold his empire together, we still loved them and bear the names as nicknames. But the very sight of a native doctor, voodoo or juju man on the screen of Nollywood sends negative messages to our brains, that’s effect of presentation and representation in movies.

In this battle of cultural supremacy, the Indians and Chinese held their gates. They rejected every aspect of colonial imperialism that sought to tarnish and denigrate their cultural heritage. That’s why they stand tall, head and shoulders with their European Counter parts today. That’s why you will never see any of such demeaning and belittling scenes in their movies.

Religion is nothing but a battle of cultural identity and supremacy. Just like Troy, Africa allowed and welcomed this Trojan Horse (Christianity & Islam) And on that, Africa lost, on that Nollywood failed.
Peace"

https://www.torimill.com/2018/03/religion-is-nothing-but-a-battle-of-cultural-identity-and-supremacy-uk-based-nigerian-man-2.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique

2 Likes

Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by Nobody: 7:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
There is a reason for everything

It is very true that most of our traditional religions in the British colonized region of Africa were demonized by western Christian missionaries and propagators of Islam.

It is true that not every thing we worshiped before colonization was evil like we were made to believe.

Yes it is about an attack on African history by western popular culture

Nonetheless, the western world have managed to succeed In their endeavor

They have managed to discredit the very essence of our traditional African religions.

Religion besides encouraging a belief in God or god is supposed to bring people together and encourage people to live in harmony, but many of our traditional religions are now doing the direct opposite of that.

Majority of our ancestral religions are now used for evil.

Many people are killed for their body parts and used for money rituals I.e kids, pregnant women amongst others,

Many people use voodoo to commit crimes. I.e. harm robbery

Majority of those involved in our traditional religion today are only doing it for money, They are not interested in using it to promote our culture.

Thus, many people now turn away from our African religion and see it as evil.

These aforementioned reasons is why I always appreciate the efforts of people like ONI ADEYEYE to promote our culture and religion outside the shores of the nation

2 Likes

Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
Absolute rubbish..

No mater what westernization and the mentality of development did to the mentality of people that have made them to belittle the name of God..

The end shall justify the means..

The writer based his case study on movies but the reality is that even Chinese and all her gods.
.They are still the highest population of Christians on earth..

The Indians and all their gods are converting to Christianity in a jet speed..

Let the unbelievers say what they like but one thing remains the fact that the world is now realizing that without Jesus,, nobody is save.
Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 06, 2018
DrinkLimca:
Absolute rubbish..

No mater what westernization and the mentality of development did to the mentality of people that have made them to belittle the name of God..

The end shall justify the means..

The writer based his case study on movies but the reality is that even Chinese and all her gods.
.They are still the highest population of Christians on earth..

The Indians and all their gods are converting to Christianity in a jet speed..

Let the unbelievers say what they like but one thing remains the fact that the world is now realizing that without Jesus,, nobody is save.

Are speaking based on assumption or have you travelled out of your face me and face you rented apartment?

@The topic,what has religion got to do with romance section?

1 Like

Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
olihilistic:

Are speaking based on assumption or have you travelled out of your face me and face you rented apartment?

@The topic,what has religion got to do with romance section?
I usually ignore people like you with a dusty brain filled with dusty powder..

Common sense which you never had should have told you that China has the one of the highest population of Christians in the world...

Have you seen the recent convention of Chris oyakhilome in India?

You don't know anything about Christianity so i will advice you to face your weed and petty romance land discussion..
Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by TIDDOLL(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
Every man has a Religion!!

Even Atheism is a religion... undecided
The common word is "Beleive"
Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by LordKO(m): 7:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
Religion remains what it's; an object of subjugation. Any contrary definition to this is balderdash, AFAIC.

4 Likes

Re: "Religion Is Nothing But A Battle Of Cultural Identity And Supremacy " - Man by CuriousMynd: 8:34pm On Mar 06, 2018
Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique

(1) (Reply)

Mens Who Stare At Breast And Have Sex Live Longer / 5 Things To Know That Your Relationship Is About To Colapse / Why Would She Refuse To Her Boyfriend Access Into Her Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.