Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Don't Sign Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill Into Law, Sen Uchendu Advises Gov Wik - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Sign Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill Into Law, Sen Uchendu Advises Gov Wik (504 Views)

Don't Sign The Electoral Bill - MURIC, Muslim Group Warns Buhari / Why I Withheld Assent To Peace Corps Bill – Buhari / Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don't Sign Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill Into Law, Sen Uchendu Advises Gov Wik by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 07, 2018
DON'T SIGN NEIGHBOURHOOD SAFETY CORPS BILL INTO LAW, SENATOR UCHENDU ADVISES GOVERNOR WIKE

The Senator representing Rivers East Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Andrew Uchendu, has advised Governor Nyesom Wike not to sign into law any bill that would give guns instead of meaningful employment to the youths.

Senator Uchendu made this statement while reacting to the Rivers State Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill that was passed by the Rivers State House of Assembly on the 15th of February, 2018.

He said: "After going through some relevant sections of the proposed vigilante bill, it is very clear to me that instead of giving our youths jobs and hope for survival, we have clearly planned to give them guns so that we will continue killing ourselves. I wonder what we want to turn our state into.

"We have knowingly or unknowingly killed ourselves for too long and I think that enough is enough. Let us come up with more ingenious programmes that would give our youths better hope for tomorrow. A stitch in time saves nine."

The Senator further stated that the bill violates the exclusivity of firearms to the Federal Government as is eshrined in the Constitution. He, therefore, warned the governor that assenting to it would lead to anarchy.

"The governor should not also forget that acquisition of guns, ammunitions, and explosives are within the Exclusive Legislative List of the Federal Government, as contained in the 1999 Constitution, as amended. Hence, it is my firm belief that this bill would do more harm than good to the already heated up polity," he stressed.

Solomon Okocha
Legislative Aide (Media) to Senator Andrew Uchendu
Rivers East Senatorial District

March 6, 2018
Re: Don't Sign Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill Into Law, Sen Uchendu Advises Gov Wik by Tekzyflex(m): 10:14am On Mar 07, 2018
Wike is sick on this one.... Desperate politicians on rampage.
Re: Don't Sign Neighbourhood Safety Corps Bill Into Law, Sen Uchendu Advises Gov Wik by FarahAideed: 10:20am On Mar 07, 2018
Lagos state keeps setting a precedence for crafty abuse of our laws , Lagos state was the first to carefully pass a an illegal state police under the crafty auspice of Neigbourghood watch corps and today as I predicted all other states are now taking cue from Lagos ...Again Lagos state craftily just legalised an ethnicity discrimination crime under the crafty auspice of some language preservation stunt and it another negative precedence all states would further adopt soon which will act as a catalyst for further deeper divisions across the fragile ethinic divide of the country.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos APC Chairman Faces Sack Over Oyegun, NWC Tenure Extension / How Nigeria Crushed $8bn In Ajaokuta Steel Without Results / Nsima Ekere, Umana Umana, Don Etiebet Are Opportunists - Udoedehe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.