Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) (20771 Views)

Justin Chukwudi Olewuezi Graduates From Russian University As A Medical Doctor / Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2018
SoldierBoy1:
Hehehehe..... I wan talk something about Medicine but girls go attack me, so maa just reserve my comment, but I sure say some guys go still code wetin I wan talk ..... But anyhow sha, as a Mechanical Engineering student, I never feel inferior to Medical students for my life. I dey happy sef say e no work when my momsy want maa go Ukraine study Medicine and Bowen University, thanks for giving me Biochemistry instead of medicine because una give me strong excuse of not studying Medicine . I was made for Engineering and the fulfillment I get studying my course gives me so much Joy to the extent that courses like Control systems, machine design etc give me joy..... Thumbs up to all my Engineering fellows..... If you love wetin you dey do, you no go feel inferior to anybody.
Lol...Your opinion.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Haryormideh(m): 3:41pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder
You just said medicine is the hardest or most difficult course to study... Please I beg to differ, just ask any pharmacist or a pharmacy student in a recognized pharmacy school, they will tell you, pharmacy is a lot harder than medicine.. That being said, each profession should be respected, Doctors are Wonderful, Farmers /Agriculturist are marvellous, pharmacists are indispensable, etc etc.... No need to compare, we are all parts that make a whole.....
ProudlyPharmacistInTraining

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Venerable612(m): 3:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

stop being petty in your thinking. doctors are the highest paid anywhere in the world! those who work on wall street, silicon valley all visit doctors when they have one illness or the other

I am sorry if you think I am petty, I suppose you are not objective enough. Perhaps you can provide the figures that the highest paid doctors collect. And show me the highest paid doctors on the list of richest men.

I didn’t want to respond to your bias thought before: I would rather provide you with facts, but I think I need to educate you a bit. You should be exposed enough to know that investment bankers, hedgfund managers and even international corporate lawyers get paid more than your highest paid doctors.

Go and read about M&A deals or perhaps the significance of Canary Wharf to the Uk.

I thought payment has nothing to do with what makes a profession noble. I would have thought you’d mention the fact that Doctors save lives... and saving lives is what they are trained to do.

When you talk about the real world leaders or top of the hierarchy like you call it, check the statistics of the life movers... even military men rank higher!

So pls quit making wrong assertions because of some difficulties you guys go through with educating yourself in Nigeria. To be honest I don’t even think anyone thinks of doctors of some special deal here: everyone is rich enough to make a good life here. Ts poverty that made education really attractive in Nigeria.

Try get out of Nigeria and you know what I mean.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Smartchidi: 4:00pm On Mar 09, 2018
Amiodarone:

You sound like somebody that failed out of medical school. If you knew those courses you mentioned just like that you wouldn't be saying that

Chai!!
Sorry for ur own frustration
Lol
Proudly a neuroscientist
And will be ever grateful for that
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by femianski: 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2018
I am not against the op post
but I see it as stupidity when ppl here commenting are arguing on what is tougher between two courses
you haven't had experience of a course and you are saying yours is tougher than that course
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Faraidi(m): 4:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
Rursh:
Dear OP, studying Medicine or being a medical doctor worth being over hyped if at all it is.
They deal with human life my brother and anything that has to do with human life shouldn't be taken likely.
Doctor help to keep one alive in cases of failing health condition. Permit me to say "they are next to God" or "they are God on earth"
Did you not read in the news recently that Doctors in Canada are protesting too much money being paid to them?
*Rursh
*Proudly a Clinical scientist
abegi, shut up. They are not God on earth. Stop saying rubbish

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2018
Haryormideh:

You just said medicine is the hardest or most difficult course to study... Please I beg to differ, just ask any pharmacist or a pharmacy student in a recognized pharmacy school, they will tell you, pharmacy is a lot harder than medicine.. That being said, each profession should be respected, Doctors are Wonderful, Farmers /Agriculturist are marvellous, pharmacists are indispensable, etc etc.... No need to compare, we are all parts that make a whole.....

this is a joke right? pharmacy is more difficult than medicine? the same pharmacy that runs on semesters? Hell nursing is more demanding than pharmacy stop trying to sound intelligent
like i said before all courses are important but there is a hierarchy and medicine is at the top

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by joan1678(m): 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2018
This Op is obviously suffering from inferiority complex.. Apparently, he/she doesn't want us to only view every course equally but also denigrate Medicine. I bet he has no idea what he's talking about though he's not the only one. I'm a medical student and I know what I hear daily in my hostel.. Well, it's all good.. if you think med is shit, all the best for you..
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by joan1678(m): 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2018
Haryormideh:

Lmao.. you have not the slightest idea what you're talking about.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by joan1678(m): 4:13pm On Mar 09, 2018
Venerable612:

I am sorry if you think I am petty, I suppose you are not objective enough. Perhaps you can provide the figures that the highest paid doctors collect. And show me the highest paid doctors on the list of richest men.

I didn’t want to respond to your bias thought before: I would rather provide you with facts, but I think I need to educate you a bit. You should be exposed enough to know that investment bankers, hedgfund managers and even international corporate lawyers get paid more than your highest paid doctors.

Go and read about M&A deals or perhaps the significance of Canary Wharf to the Uk.

I thought payment has nothing to do with what makes a profession noble. I would have thought you’d mention the fact that Doctors save lives... and saving lives is what they are trained to do.

When you talk about the real world leaders or top of the hierarchy like you call it, check the statistics of the life movers... even military men rank higher!

So pls quit making wrong assertions because of some difficulties you guys go through with educating yourself in Nigeria. To be honest I don’t even think anyone thinks of doctors of some special deal here: everyone is rich enough to make a good life here. Ts poverty that made education really attractive in Nigeria.

This has to pass for the best post I've read all day. You're a med student too right?

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by joan1678(m): 4:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

i laugh in swahili even law students know its nothing compared to part 1 MB exam

Aswearrr
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 4:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
Venerable612:

of course the primary and sole aim of being a doctor is to save live. in my previous post i also said people who have these "investment" patronise doctors.
your explanation reeks of cluelessness, stop comparing an "organisation" with a "profession"
i don't need to start typing figures for you, Google is your friend and you can use that! if you had a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, all in the same firm who would be the highest paid?
poverty made education attractive in Nigeria? tell me any developed country that doesn't take education serious? petty reasoning once again!

i leave you with just one fact....the current president of the world bank is a medical doctor
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by famzynet: 5:28pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrMeen:
then what of agricultural students that provide the food that the oh so "next God on earth" dine on to have the necessary energy to carry out their practice can we then call agricultural students "providers of humanity" or what.

Agricultural scientists are also valued in other countries just as doctors are valued. The truth is that Nigeria values nobody. That is why all our brains are leaving .
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Silumi(f): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
If you feel inferior in the presence of doctors the problem is from you not them you see that ward coat and stethoscope you say they are bouncing about with nigga thay earned it through grueling hours that not all courses demand if you have not been through the process please don't belittle it.medicine is a noble profession and that word "over hyped" is so wrong on so many grounds.w E should all sick to make our courses relevant and stop the hate.no one jabs other professions Like this but then again greatness attracts hate.wat can I hate

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Silumi(f): 8:13pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder
Awww the only person with a brain here.allow them they think it's to go to school to do 15 credit load.the things you face to be a doctor is better left experienced than explained
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by fayahsoul: 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2018
Acidosis:
This is the problem with most of you:

You adore people because of what they study, what they earn, the post they hold, where they're born, their status in the society, etc.

If we all learn to honour and respect people because they're humans, Nigeria's problems will drastically reduce.

Our so called love is not real, this is why Ambode will most likely fix a case of robbery in Ikoyi than those robbery cases on the Mainland. The urgency to fix the problem is first, tied to the "type" of people living in Ikoyi.

We don't love genuinely in Nigeria; contrary to the popular lies we tell ourselves, we are far from being a loving people.

If you love and respect people because they're Doctors (not because they're human beings with a soul), then your love is highly questionable.. Truth is, you do not love.. Take away the Dr., and you will see how mindless you're.

If, in your job, you give special attention to some class of people over other fellow human beings, then you're far from loving.

Note, there is nothing wrong in paying some class of people more. An experienced Doctor should be paid more than a Nurse because he renders more/costly services. Contrary to the popular belief, a Doctor should not be paid more because;

1. He spent 6 years in school: this I must say is the most myopic view ever. Some carry-over students spend 10 years.. does it mean we have to pay them more? Of course, No!

2. He deals on human lives: as reasonable as this sounds, it's still not a logical reason to pay them more. Drivers, Okada riders, etc.. deal on human lives. Mechanics deal with humans. A mechanic error can kill over a 100 passengers at a goal, it is as bad as that.. so it is actually du.mb, when anyone raises shoulders and expect to be paid more because you touch blood. No, that's du.mb.. Your so called illiterate mechanic can deliberate alter your braking system and before you say jack, you're already at the "other side"!

In sum, lets all respect people because they're first, humans, before becoming anything. If you render more service, if you work in a booming industry, then you deserve to earn more and be respected like every other human being.

This status-gap we see today is a result of the half baked education a lot of people received in this country, and parents as well are culprits! Go and check the wealthy 21st-century families, you will hardly see any parents enforcing some courses on their wards. The practice of reverencing some courses above others is common among those on the lower end of the tree.

Well said but there is one point of correction and that is we are not human beings with souls rather we are souls with human bodies.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by fayahsoul: 9:18pm On Mar 09, 2018
I have more respect for traditional medicine than western medicine because it uses a wholistic approach to human health while the west are reductionist in all discipline. Ever wonder why there are much more incurable diseases today than in the days of our forefathers despite all the so called advancements in western medicine? lol such an irony. The only difference between pharmaceutical drugs and poison is dosage.

2 Likes

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Venerable612(m): 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2018
joan1678:

This has to pass for the best post I've read all day. You're a med student too right?

Many thanks for your comment.

Not at all. I know nothing of the medical profession.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Venerable612(m): 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

of course the primary and sole aim of being a doctor is to save live. in my previous post i also said people who have these "investment" patronise doctors.
your explanation reeks of cluelessness, stop comparing an "organisation" with a "profession"
i don't need to start typing figures for you, Google is your friend and you can use that! if you had a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, all in the same firm who would be the highest paid?
poverty made education attractive in Nigeria? tell me any developed country that doesn't take education serious? petty reasoning once again!

i leave you with just one fact....the current president of the world bank is a medical doctor

Alright sir!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Cityguy: 11:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
Profayo:
I think op is suffering from low self esteem and inferiority complex
The first.thing that came to.my mind! There's nothing special in being anything but I wonder why people don't write.things like this about other professionals or is it only doctors that behave or feel 'big'? Like we've not encountered what could be called 'big' in other people - lawyers, politicians, bank staff, even artisans! It's an individual thing but our complexes around doctors don't allow us notice it in others or perhaps it's our prejudices in action. Very subtle but definitely expressing in our behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:00am On Mar 10, 2018
AnonHq:

i can't even figure out what you wrote... stop being foolish
so ben carson is know for what? Nikcolas papnicolau is known for what? Dr Oluyinka Olutoye is known for what?
you are very stupid can't you make your points without insulting...cos of overrated medicine....
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by swagguElite(m): 2:47am On Mar 10, 2018
300wayne:
BRAIN

Abaasit4real:

One f the most sensible beings on nairaland! O celebrate you bro!

... Respect!!! wink
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by nancyv(f): 3:47am On Mar 10, 2018
I respect doctors a lot because I know what they pass through to become one. my junior brother is a medical student.it has not easy at all.
He reads every minute,even while eating.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 8:43am On Mar 10, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
you are very stupid can't you make your points without insulting...cos of overrated medicine....

If you had half a brain you would have read the post closely and see where the insults started from
The only stupid person here is you dimwit!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 10, 2018
How can someone just wake up one morning and start hating other people's career choice?
It's immature. If you are a Nurse, Lawyer, Engineer, Biologist, Mechanic or even a Gateman, as long as you love your work and derive joy in doing it, then why the complain??
If Doctors are proud or hyped or worshipped, it shouldn't be a snag to you na, just enjoy yourself and be the best in all you do.
#peace
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by overcomer90: 1:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
Shekstatari:
How can someone just wake up one morning and start hating other people's career choice?
It's immature. If you are a Nurse, Lawyer, Engineer, Biologist, Mechanic or even a Gateman, as long as you love your work and derive joy in doing it, then why the complain??
If Doctors are proud or hyped or worshipped, it shouldn't be a snag to you na, just enjoy yourself and be the best in all you do.
#peace

Best I have seen so far u just made a true conclusion
Thinking any career choice on earth is a way to happiness is living in deceit
Do what u love and love what u do ur time is short on earth we have had so many doctors engineers lawyers billionaires etc in the past 200yrs where are they now and how many are remembered?
You will never be the first or last person to be in a particular profession so in the mean time in earth enjoy your life
*do what you love-love what you do*
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Rursh(m): 1:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
Teemaan:

It's a known fact of how much it cost them to earn that name but man, many people would explore more if they divert their intellect into the medical field but they chose some other thing just like the way you acclaimed being a clinical scientist. Its good you made reference to the Doctors in Canada who had to protest for being over paid and what other definition do you need for over hype?? You actually sound like someone who dreamt of studying
Medicine but was swept into some related direction because of what reason only God knows

Ignoramus, Clinical scientist also means a Doctor sir.
Roger that
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Teemaan(m): 4:48pm On Mar 10, 2018
Rursh:

Roger that

Well, maybe you are right sir if considered under professional Jargon but as good as I know and as far as I've inquired, a clinical scientist is not a Doctor....if you are a clinical scientist boy(lol), ur job scope is within the laboratory.
I need diligent doctors to confirm this. I stand to be corrected anyways
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by nelszx: 10:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Rursh:

Roger that

In what country please does it mean a doctor?

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 10:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
Teemaan:

Well, maybe you are right sir if considered under professional Jargon but as good as I know and as far as I've inquired, a clinical scientist is not a Doctor....if you are a clinical scientist boy(lol), ur job scope is within the laboratory.
I need diligent doctors to confirm this. I stand to be corrected anyways

don't mind that one that is trying to be relevant
clinical scientist is the same thing with medical laboratory scientist....dem just dey rebrand the name....everybody wan be clinician cheesy

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ofai: 4:46pm On Mar 11, 2018
Teaching is my job! And I love it!

Though the pay digits ain't that attractive, the time I have for myself is a free (and better) resource for me. I can run my private biz after official school closing hours.

We teach other professions from the basics to the advanced levels.

Respect your nursery, primary, secondary and tertiary school teachers. You owe your literacy to them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FGC Kwali Directs Parents To Evacuate Wards Over Fear Of Terror Attack / See What OAU New VC Ayobami Salami Wrote On His First Day In Office / Osun State University 2012/2013 Pre-degree Supplementary form now on sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.