Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,168 members, 7,849,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:55 AM

Much Ado About Feminism - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Much Ado About Feminism (2081 Views)

Truths About Feminism You Ought To Know (by B.O.E.) / Top 20 Misconceptions About Feminism / My Opinion About FEMINISM... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Much Ado About Feminism by donstan18: 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2018

Re: Much Ado About Feminism by MissWrite(f): 5:42pm On Mar 12, 2018
greiboy:
I really enjoy the way your narrative is always based on a balanced perspective. It is a very commendable act

Nonetheless, oppression and the idea of what constitutes oppression can be very subjective at times.

Oppression is a prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or exercise of authority.

One might tag a simple subtle statement as oppression or just a simple opinion on a subject matter that depicts an uncomfortable truth as oppression.

The goals of feminism are well defined even though the ideology of the movement continues to evolve, but the idea of oppression by many nairaland feminists is sometimes completely misguided.

I have seen cases where certain self styled feminists see certain unbiased opinion i.e. uncomfortable truth of male nairalanders as offensive and tag the simple statements as oppression.

I have seen situation where self styled feminists have created threads to attack the male gender rather than focus on a constructive debate to encourage equality that feminism claims to be fighting for.

Some even use it to demand for more financial support from their boyfriends and so on

I believe that is not what feminism stands for, based on what I have been able to read so far.

Thus, I believe these ladies are merely fighting for personal interest, not feminism

You are absolutely right. Oppression is subjective. I wouldn't even say "some of the time" but "all the time". A person's personal experiences should not be discounted by saying "this is not enough to make you feel oppressed"; or presumed upon by saying "you should be offended by this or that". They are the ones feeling the situation, so what right do we have? Their feelings are valid, and they have a right to express them. Limiting female oppression to a finite set of experiences would contradict the principles of feminism, because there would always be a set of people who would feel disenfranchised (by the movement itself), and therefore oppressed.

It's not women who matter; it's all individuals who matter. The point of feminism is to say "women matter too" (since men already seemed to). The same way "black lives matter too" would be more sensitive to the white lives that have mattered all along. But I'm digressing.

Yes. A lot goes on here on NL that is unsavory. We've already established that some women are distracted, and engaging men in fights rather than focus on the issue. That's because these men have made themselves cheap targets by opposing feminism, and showing themselves to be the enemy to the emancipation of women. Feminists react to oppression. While these.......(shall we say feminazi? For lack of a better word) react to men's reaction to feminism. And men try to keep the focus on the feminazi to discredit feminists.

And then, yes, there are those who just want to have it both ways.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Much Ado About Feminism by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:10pm On Mar 15, 2018
BluntBoy:
Whoever takes feminists seriously these days

I have constantly told people that feminists, especially Nigerian feminists, are the dregs of society.
This one nor go use laugh kill person.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can a Chronic Masturbator Be Able To Impregnant A Lady? / Man Dies While Proposing To His Girlfriend Underwater / DON'T BE DECEIVED BY MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.