Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship (10048 Views)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / Origin Of The Name Bello?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 12:41am On Mar 26, 2018
prolog2:
Talk is easy, prove your unsubsstantiated claims.
Someone who claims to study history (a claim you first made more than 6 years ago) should know that claims are nothing but beer parlour rumours if they are not backed by proof.

You are an imposter, and you are too dumb to even look nearly legitimate.
Only mediocre people and imposters boast of being students.
Real archievers would talk about papers they actually published.
Or would prove their points without mentionning their cvs.
In your case, you are an imposter, a liar mixing wikipedia trash with yoruba beer parlour talks ( the intersection of the 2 latter is not empty).
What annooys me the most when talking to lunatics like you is your incredible arrogance.
There are 600 years old maps which clearly show "BENIN KINGDOM", yet you are here claiming that the real name is "bini" and that Benin is a portuguese corruption. Which brings me to my question: did you do some time travel to get to that information ? Did you go back in time for ... let us say 1000 years ? The Edo say Benin, the europeans who paid visits to the Kingdom also said Benin, but you the yoruba guy, you know it better than everybody else, right ? "na bini"..."we y.a.r.i.b.a, know Edo history better than Edo, the british, the portugues and so on...". Freaking lunatic yoruba fools.
One day, someone would have to explain the link between a well known imposter "ogiamen idiot" and the yoruba fake-history peddlers. Who exactly is using who in this unholly alliance.

Lmao. I wonder where this guy got his 6years from grin have I even been on NL that long. If I boast trust me I would be blowing my anonymity

If you do not know the name Ibini is the name Oba Ewedo gave to the city from the expression "Ile Ibinu" uttered by Oranmiyan then you like your brothers on this forum are a waste of space.

You dare call me an Imposter? Look at this shameless dog. When you are the same person using the "historyworldO31" moniker, after lying that you studied medicine in France.. Can you imagine this guy

Please show me the Wikipedia page I copy from cheesy

If you are not too dull and stupid you would have realised that European maps would have "European corruption" of African names..heck they even called Eko Lagos.

Jeez! Keep proving me right that your people have only one goal on NL, and that is to disgrace your glorious ancestors

This guy doesn't even know shiit about Ogiamien. Ogiamien is now a Yoruba impostor grin mogbe o! cheesy

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 12:49am On Mar 26, 2018
davidnazee:

I just said 70% of present day yorubas are slave descendants. Yorubas I know are actually educated. You are not original Yoruba, probably the 70%..
Benin City is the oldest City in Sub-Sahara region, founded 400bc. Oba Ewuare expanded the kingdom and made it greater and stronger conquering Yoruba and reaching as far as Dahomey.
Please idiot go do your research again.

There is no evidence that the area had an urban organization as at 400BC. Even Djenne(the city considered to be the oldest in sub Saharan Africa) is not as early as 400BC

Mr. Man. Ewuare did not conquer any part of Yorubaland, the conquest of some eastern Yoruba towns began during the reign of Oba Ozolua. And Bini never conquered Dahomey.
You should be the one conducting your research cause i already have

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 12:53am On Mar 26, 2018
Aizenosa:

ur ignorance once again leads your thinking and controls your mouth, and indeed it's a great shame to see. SORRY.

Actually, not to brag but It appears I am more aware of Bini history than the Binis on this forum

Most of you don't care about history, you are simply driven by ethnic bigotry and hatred

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 1:50am On Mar 26, 2018
macof:

There is no evidence that the area had an urban organization as at 400BC. Even Djenne(the city considered to be the oldest in sub Saharan Africa) is not as early as 400BC

Mr. Man. Ewuare did not conquer any part of Yorubaland, the conquest of some eastern Yoruba towns began during the reign of Oba Ozolua. And Bini never conquered Dahomey.
You should be the one conducting your research cause i already have

Mr. Man don’t be blinded by your jealousy or twist truth becos of jealousy.
Benin City was founded 400BC, and Benin kingdom is always described as being the most highly developed/advanced and organized kingdom in Weet Africa.

At its height of glory it extended up to Ghana. The road from Benin to Ghana goes through Yoruba lands which was conquered and paying tribute to Benin kingdom till Oyo Empire rose and started claiming parts of Yoruba lands from Benin due to civil crisis in the kingdom.

Around 15th century Oyo tried to conquer Benin kingdom but failed woefully and was crushed in battle.

All these are facts. Go research and find out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 1:56am On Mar 26, 2018
macof:

Actually, not to brag but It appears I am more aware of Bini history than the Binis on this forum

Most of you don't care about history, you are simply driven by ethnic bigotry and hatred

Shut up.. you don’t know Edo or Bini history. You don’t even know Yoruba history.. if u did you will know Yoruba was conquered by Benin kingdom, the Nupes, Fulanis and finally by the British.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 5:22am On Mar 26, 2018
davidnazee:

Mr. Man don’t be blinded by your jealousy or twist truth becos of jealousy.
Benin City was founded 400BC, and Benin kingdom is always described as being the most highly developed/advanced and organized kingdom in Weet Africa.

At its height of glory it extended up to Ghana. The road from Benin to Ghana goes through Yoruba lands which was conquered and paying tribute to Benin kingdom till Oyo Empire rose and started claiming parts of Yoruba lands from Benin due to civil crisis in the kingdom.

Around 15th century Oyo tried to conquer Benin kingdom but failed woefully and was crushed in battle.

All these are facts. Go research and find out.

Jealousy? I'm not jealous of the Mongols, the Persians, the Romans, it's Bini I want to be jealous of? Bini that is only known for its monarchy and bronze art - which were borrowed from Ife
Even the "juju" people like to claim Bini has, were borrowed from Ife and Ilaje
So what should I be jealous of? When Yoruba practically made Bini kingdom what it was

As to your delusions, i leave to to them because even if I start correcting all the errors in this your post you will not take to my correction..but I simply ask, what are your sources? You should at least have a matured enough brain to know that you need to have a source..let me deal with your source

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Olu317(m): 9:39am On Mar 26, 2018
davidnazee:

The only people with hatred for the truth is Yorubas. You guys can’t accept the truth that Great Benin conquered and ruled Yoruba.

And accept the truth that 70% of present yorubas are offspring of former slaves dumped in Lagos by the British at the end of slave trade.
Just imagine such statement as Great Bini? What is great in Bini than salt, art work learned from Ile Ife and palm oil dealing with portuguese? Great Bini indeed!Bini which has no meaning in Edo language but a name created by a Yoruba Prince of Ile Ife Origin. Isnt it the right time you people decide to change the Edo name back to Igodomigodo grin?
Yoruba lead, you Follow. Accept the real the truth.
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 26, 2018
To all the Edo in here, don't waste your time.
These yoruba slaves are worthless and can only engage in back and forth arguments and insults.
They are born liars and fraudsters and also imposters.
Don't expect them to ever provide proof for anything they say.
Don't even expect them to make sense.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 26, 2018
Only you yoruba give any credibility to ogiamen who is a well known imposter. As an Edo I know that ogiamen is a guy who would be stoned to death by any Edo if given the opportunity. But it seems, and everybody can testify that ogiamen and yoruba fake-story peddlars like yourself are propping up each other. ogiamen repeats your claim that the Oba is from ife and you repeat his claim that the Oba took the throne from him. A pact between two thieves.
By the way, I found a post from around 2012 in which you were already claiming to be a history student. I will not try and research it again right now because you have probably deleted it since I ousted you as a guy who has been claiming to be a history student for more than 6 years.
For the story about Benin Kingdom: I repeat, you are claiming that the european visitors to Benin Kingdom goot the name wrong, but also that the Edo got the name of their country wrong. But ofcourse the all knowing yoruba got it right ?! Logics

Once again, there is no proof that Oranmiyan ever existed. He is nothing but a fable, and you the fake-history student, ofcourse you are ready to quote a fable. You can't distinguish between fiction and actual history.
Instead of providing proof for your unproven claims, you are insulting those asking for proof. That is the typical way crooks operate.
Just like in that fable about the naked emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl1uLYnFZLA

macof:

Lmao. I wonder where this guy got his 6years from grin have I even been on NL that long. If I boast trust me I would be blowing my anonymity

If you do not know the name Ibini is the name Oba Ewedo gave to the city from the expression "Ile Ibinu" uttered by Oranmiyan then you like your brothers on this forum are a waste of space.

You dare call me an Imposter? Look at this shameless dog. When you are the same person using the "historyworldO31" moniker, after lying that you studied medicine in France.. Can you imagine this guy

If you are not too dull and stupid you would have realised that European maps would have "European corruption" of African names..heck they even called Eko Lagos.

Jeez! Keep proving me right that your people have only one goal on NL, and that is to disgrace your glorious ancestors

This guy doesn't even know shiit about Ogiamien. Ogiamien is now a Yoruba impostor grin mogbe o! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 26, 2018
So basically, you are not jealous but you are claiming all that Benin Kingdom has ?
You are even claiming Benin Kingdom as a "yoruba product".
Just a question why is Benin Bronze called "Benin Bronze" and not "ife bronze" ?
You are not only jealous, you are a thief.
Show me the bronze which was decorating the ooni of ife's palace when the british arrived !
Surely if Benin "borrowed" its art from ife then the ooni of ife must also have had even more art decorating his "palace", right ?
Did the ooni of ife even have a proper palace when the british arrived ?

macof:

Jealousy? I'm not jealous of the Mongols, the Persians, the Romans, it's Bini I want to be jealous of? Bini that is only known for its monarchy and bronze art - which were borrowed from Ife
Even the "juju" people like to claim Bini has, were borrowed from Ife and Ilaje
So what should I be jealous of? When Yoruba practically made Bini kingdom what it was

As to your delusions, i leave to to them because even if I start correcting all the errors in this your post you will not take to my correction..but I simply ask, what are your sources? You should at least have a matured enough brain to know that you need to have a source..let me deal with your source

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by AxxeMan: 11:21am On Mar 26, 2018
prolog2:
So basically, you are not jealous but you are claiming all that Benin Kingdom has ?
Just a question why is Benin Bronze called "Benin Bronze" and not "ife bronze" ?
Show me the bronze which was decorating the ooni of ife's palace when the british arrived !
Surely if Benin "borrowed" its art from ife then the ooni of ife must also have had even more art decorating his "palace", right ?

grin grin grin grin grin grin The lunatic ooni was in a shed made from ewedu leaves when the British arrived hahaha so my brother don't bother grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Aizenosa(m): 1:35pm On Mar 26, 2018
macof:

It's like saying that you are more aware of the contents of a book more than its author. which can never be possible. Till date there are still historical evidences in Benin kingdom which proves the account of the Benin history true.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 26, 2018
Don't expect a yoruba guy to ever be self aware nor to ever make sense.
I am thirty, I have been learning Edo history right from when I was a toddler.
My teachers have been: my Great Grand Mother who witnessed the british invasion, my dad and my mom and my uncles who were tutored by people who still had the marks of the bullets of the british invadors.
But hey, a yoruba fool somewhere can just wake up one day, read some wikipedia trash and also let lose his yoruba-centric feelings and that will surely mean that the yoruba fool knows my history more than me...
Aizenosa:

It's like saying that you are more aware of the contents of a book more than its author. which can never be possible. Till date there are still historical evidences in Benin kingdom which proves the account of the Benin history true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Aizenosa(m): 7:40pm On Mar 26, 2018
prolog2:
Don't expect a yoruba guy to ever be self aware nor to ever make sense.
I am thirty, I have been learning Edo history right from when I was a toddler.
My teachers have been: my Great Grand Mother who witnessed the british invasion, my dad and my mom and my uncles who were tutored by people who still had the marks of the bullets of the british invadors.
But hey, a yoruba fool somewhere can just wake up one day, read some wikipedia trash and also let lose his yoruba-centric feelings and that will surely mean that the yoruba fool knows my history more than me...

It baffles me brother all dem y.a.r.i.b.a people I wonder how dey live with their lies, it's so funny when their accounts don't add up and they sometimes start arguing amongst themselves. To be honest the average y.a.r.i.b.a man has no real idea how they came about. It's a pity.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 9:31am On Mar 27, 2018
Aizenosa:

There are some Europeans I have met that know African Histiry better than me...and I am African

Being African to be more specific in your case being Bini doesn't mean you have the Divine knowledge of Bini's past..you didn't live in that time , so to know you need to study and research and your level of knowledge depends on how much you have studied and how deep you have researched, it also depends on your sources..as a bini you have the source around you but you may not be interested in historical research and reject the proper sources. Many people don't go traditional and also history is boring(or useless) and complex to many people especially African history that is largely unwritten

Let me tell you how proper african historians gather information
1. They read from previous published works to have a ground ideap
2. They visit the place, which history they want to tell, observe it's geography, culture and political structure
3. They seek oral information from the various important families
4. They observe and pay keen attention to rites, rituals and festivals
5. Visit other places that are mentioned prominently in the traditions of the first place to get their version
Then come up with a conclusion

So history is not easy, you don't just know because you are from there. You know because you pick up a genuine interest and begin to learn

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 9:49am On Mar 27, 2018
prolog2:
Only you yoruba give any credibility to ogiamen who is a well known imposter. As an Edo I know that ogiamen is a guy who would be stoned to death by any Edo if given the opportunity. But it seems, and everybody can testify that ogiamen and yoruba fake-story peddlars like yourself are propping up each other. ogiamen repeats your claim that the Oba is from ife and you repeat his claim that the Oba took the throne from him. A pact between two thieves.

grin grin denying your first kings because a new king from Yorubaland is ruling ... it actually is to the glory of Yorubas that you would deny your Ogiso(now called Ogiamien)

By the way, I found a post from around 2012 in which you were already claiming to be a history student. I will not try and research it again right now because you have probably deleted it since I ousted you as a guy who has been claiming to be a history student for more than 6 years.
stfu! I wasn't on NL in 2012 and I had not decided to study history then

For the story about Benin Kingdom: I repeat, you are claiming that the european visitors to Benin Kingdom goot the name wrong, but also that the Edo got the name of their country wrong. But ofcourse the all knowing yoruba got it right ?! Logics
Benin is the European name - Bini is the original name
Simple. This guy doesn't even know his place

Once again, there is no proof that Oranmiyan ever existed. He is nothing but a fable, and you the fake-history student, ofcourse you are ready to quote a fable. You can't distinguish between fiction and actual history.

Let's not go far arguing about proof. It's very simple, if Oranmiyan never existed then your Oba would not exist

Oba Ewuare II declared Oranmiyan as the first Oba of bini

Instead of providing proof for your unproven claims, you are insulting those asking for proof. That is the typical way crooks operate.
Just like in that fable about the naked emperor.

proof of what exactly? I've said many things so have you and the others.
One of you even claimed Bini is the oldest and largest kingdom in Africa. Where's the proof of that

Ps. Answer my question; what Wikipedia page do I copy from. You cannot claim I copy from Wikipedia and go like that. If you are not useless you would provide the Wikipedia page

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 9:58am On Mar 27, 2018
prolog2:

I'm not claiming, every historian knows that. If you want proof I would post a link to a reliable source

What African king didn't have a proper palace Are yiu kidding me? Even the king of Iwo had a proper palace talkless of the king above all Obas - Ooni
Btw. The size or structure of a place didn't designate the power and reputation of the King

Olowo for instance had the largest palace yet I'm sure everyone would agree that there are many Obas who held more power and influence

This is a near pure copper mask found in the place of the Ooni, the mask depicts a former Ooni named Obalufon
Note: sculpting near pure copper is something Bini never achieved
[img]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPvcS5lmEvGA_EOEZHfZSH168GjWUiisbjPDjxPKXgiAfshwvbeDO5FcUYtZc[/img]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2018
The best thing to do with trolls is to ignore them. To everybody, ignore the yoruba trolls: macof and olu especially.
All they are doing is trolling.
They have never proven any claim of theirs.
I like how when cornered, they would either insult you either claim to "quote a reputable source". Meaning that they have no proof but they will quote an other ignorant bastard saying the same as them (perharps it is actually themselves they are quoting by the way) and they will call that person a "reputable source". All these are crook technics.
For the issue of the existence or not of a palace for the ooni of ife before the arrival of the british, notice that no proof was provided about the existence of any such palace, rather all that was provided was "chest-beating". All these people do is talk and say trash, they will never prove anything which they claim. They are crooks and they are trolls. Nobody should waste his time talking to trolls, especially yoruba trolls.
Once you spot them, just write TROLL.
Contrary to the trolls, I have a job and a life. I can't continue a non ending conversation with trolls. People who say things without any logical background. You ask for proof and instead you get a lot of talk and no proof. You insist on proof and you get even more talk and no proof. You insist again and then you get once again some more talk and the quote of a "reputable source". Still no proof, an unending discussion with crooks whom are also trolls.
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 10:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
prolog2:
The best thing to do with trolls is to ignore them. To everybody, ignore the yoruba trolls: macof and olu especially.
All they are doing is trolling.
They have never proven any claim of theirs.
I like how when cornered, they would either insult you either claim to "quote a reputable source". Meaning that they have no proof but they will quote an other ignorant bastard saying the same as them (perharps it is actually themselves they are quoting by the way) and they will call that person a "reputable source". All these are crook technics.
For the issue of the existence or not of a palace for the ooni of ife before the arrival of the british, notice that no proof was provided about the existence of any such palace, rather all that was provided was "chest-beating". All these people do is talk and say trash, they will never prove anything which they claim. They are crooks and they are trolls. Nobody should waste his time talking to trolls, especially yoruba trolls.
Once you spot them, just write TROLL.
Contrary to the trolls, I have a job and a life. I can't continue a non ending conversation with trolls. People who say things without any logical background. You ask for proof and instead you get a lot of talk and no proof. You insist on proof and you get even more talk and no proof. You insist again and then you get once again some more talk and the quote of a "reputable source". Still no proof, an unending discussion with crooks whom are also trolls.
this slowpoke answer my question

What Wikipedia page do I copy from?

And again I ask, what proof? I have said a lot of things
So have You. Start proving your proof that Bini kingdom is the oldest and largest kingdom in Africa
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 12:17am On Mar 28, 2018
macof:
this slowpoke answer my question

What Wikipedia page do I copy from?

And again I ask, what proof? I have said a lot of things
So have You. Start proving your proof that Bini kingdom is the oldest and largest kingdom in Africa

Sweet facts about Great Benin Kingdom/Edo people.

-West African civilization started in Igodomigodo
-Edo people were the first in Sub-Sahara region to
build a city.
-Benin City is the oldest city in Sub Sahara Africa.
-Benin kingdom is the first Kingdom in West African region and it was also the last kingdom to fall to the British. It was the longest surviving kingdom.
-At its height the kingdom covered the eastern shores of River Niger (Onitsha), through great parts of Yoruba lands up to Ghana.
-Ga tribe in Ghana traces its origins to Benin kingdom.
-some tribes in Togo also come from Benin kingdom. Togolese leader Eyadema publicly declared that his ancestors are from Edo.
-Edo people are the first to speak a European language ( we were speaking Portuguese before the British came, language of communication btw Benin and British was in Portuguese)..
-Benin Kingdom was sending ambassadors to Portugal long before British came to west Africa.
-Benin kingdom was the most developed and advanced kingdom in Africa. At a time when rest of Africa was called primitive our cities was in the same class as European cities.
-Militarily Benin kingdom was the strongest kingdom in Africa. It was the only kingdom not defeated by fellow African kingdoms. All opposition were crushed.
-British soldiers confessed that Benin would have won the war if it had same type of weapons the British had. Benin military was very organized and disciplined.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 7:23am On Mar 28, 2018
davidnazee:

build a city.
-Benin kingdom is the first Kingdom in West African region and it was also the last kingdom to fall to the British. It was the longest surviving kingdom.
-At its height the kingdom covered the eastern shores of River Niger (Onitsha), through great parts of Yoruba lands up to Ghana.
-some tribes in Togo also come from Benin kingdom. Togolese leader Eyadema publicly declared that his ancestors are from Edo.
-Edo people are the first to speak a European language ( we were speaking Portuguese before the British came, language of communication btw Benin and British was in Portuguese)..
-Benin Kingdom was sending ambassadors to Portugal long before British came to west Africa.
-Benin kingdom was the most developed and advanced kingdom in Africa. At a time when rest of Africa was called primitive our cities was in the same class as European cities.
-Militarily Benin kingdom was the strongest kingdom in Africa. It was the only kingdom not defeated by fellow African kingdoms. All opposition were crushed.
-British soldiers confessed that Benin would have won the war if it had same type of weapons the British had. Benin military was very organized and disciplined.

proof?

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 15, 2018

macof:

grin grin denying your first kings because a new king from Yorubaland is ruling ... it actually is to the glory of Yorubas that you would deny your Ogiso(now called Ogiamien)

stfu! I wasn't on NL in 2012 and I had not decided to study history then

Benin is the European name - Bini is the original name
Simple. This guy doesn't even know his place

Let's not go far arguing about proof. It's very simple, if Oranmiyan never existed then your Oba would not exist

Oba Ewuare II declared Oranmiyan as the first Oba of bini

proof of what exactly? I've said many things so have you and the others.
One of you even claimed Bini is the oldest and largest kingdom in Africa. Where's the proof of that

Ps. Answer my question; what Wikipedia page do I copy from. You cannot claim I copy from Wikipedia and go like that. If you are not useless you would provide the Wikipedia page
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 15, 2018

macof:

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by geosegun(m): 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
davidnazee:

build a city.

You.are a gaddem liar.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 10:52pm On Apr 15, 2018
geosegun:

You.are a gaddem liar.

Liar ke? there is more sweet facts ooo..

- long before Africans were shipped as slaves to Europe and America Benin Kingdom indigenes were already travelling to Europe for Business and pleasure just as we do now.
- First Christian King in Nigeria was the Oba of Benin
- First Church in Nigeria was built in Benin City
- Oba Esigie of Benin Kingdom was the first West African king to establish diplomatic relations with a European country.
- Oba Esigie lived and studied in Portugal for many years before returning home to become king
- Benin Kingdom was the only West African Empire whose Empire covered different people/tribes/languages and ruled over other kingdoms.
- Benin kingdom stopped the islamization of the Niger Delta region by defeating the fulani jihadists.
- Benin Kingdom is the only West African Kingdom to be documented and written about 1000yrs ago. (all other kingdoms have oral stories)
- Benin Kingdom is the only Kingdom in Africa not defeated by other African kingdoms..
- Benin Kingdom was before and after all other kingdoms in West africa
- Benin City was the first city in Africa to have street lights at night and this was over 600yrs ago.. (the people are too intelligent)

Thank you for reading and stay blessed..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
davidnazee:

Liar ke? there is more sweet facts ooo..

- long before Africans were shipped as slaves to Europe and America Benin Kingdom indigenes were already travelling to Europe for Business and pleasure just as we do now.
- First Christian King in Nigeria was the Oba of Benin
- First Church in Nigeria was built in Benin City
- Oba Esigie of Benin Kingdom was the first West African king to establish diplomatic relations with a European country.
- Oba Esigie lived and studied in Portugal for many years before returning home to become king
- Benin Kingdom was the only West African Empire whose Empire covered different people/tribes/languages and ruled over other kingdoms.
- Benin kingdom stopped the islamization of the Niger Delta region by defeating the fulani jihadists.
- Benin Kingdom is the only West African Kingdom to be documented and written about 1000yrs ago. (all other kingdoms have oral stories)
- Benin Kingdom is the only Kingdom in Africa not defeated by other African kingdoms..
- Benin Kingdom was before and after all other kingdoms in West africa
- Benin City was the first city in Africa to have street lights at night and this was over 600yrs ago.. (the people are too intelligent)

Thank you for reading and stay blessed..

Smh.
Go and study
Wagadu empire, Mali, Songhai and Sokoto, Ashanti Kingdom, Dahomey, Oyo, Ife
Most of what you claim Benin is first or only of was done by many other africans

The below highlighted points are however false
1. Benin is the only WA kingdom to have a documented history from 1000 years ago.
First bini did not document it's history. The first bini historian was Jacob U. Egharevba who lived in the 20th century.
Secondly the songhai and Mali empires had libraries with scripted/documented records of events as early as 1400AD

2. Benin city cannot have had street lights over 600 years ago without electricity. No city in the world had street lights. Unless you mean lamps of oil and fire which just about every city in the world had at that time

I am not a bini hater, Im just correcting this pseudo-history

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2018
macof:

Smh.
Go and study
Wagadu empire, Mali, Songhai and Sokoto, Ashanti Kingdom, Dahomey, Oyo, Ife
Most of what you claim Benin is first or only of was done by many other africans

The below highlighted points are however false
1. Benin is the only WA kingdom to have a documented history from 1000 years ago.
First bini did not document it's history. The first bini historian was Jacob U. Egharevba who lived in the 20th century.
Secondly the songhai and Mali empires had libraries with scripted/documented records of events as early as 1400AD

2. Benin city cannot have had street lights over 600 years ago without electricity. No city in the world had street lights. Unless you mean lamps of oil and fire which just about every city in the world had at that time

I am not a bini hater, Im just correcting this pseudo-history

Mr man you lack understanding..

Documentation of Benin Empire written about 1000yrs ago was done by early European explorers at that time.. so it is right to say Benin Kingdom was the first West African Kingdom to be documented on paper..

Yes Benin City was already using street lamps almost 1000yrs ago and it was oil lamps.. No other African city or villages at that time had the ingenuity to come up with that idea.

And for your information I am not comparing Benin to other historic or mythical African empires although Benin is regarded as being highly advanced and developed than those empires you mentioned.

Thank you.
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 5:09pm On Apr 16, 2018
davidnazee:

Mr man you lack understanding..

Documentation of Benin Empire written about 1000yrs ago was done by early European explorers at that time.. so it is right to say Benin Kingdom was the first West African Kingdom to be documented on paper..
I happen to have a great understanding

This is 2018 ..1000 years ago is 1018
Which Europeans were in West Africa at that time?

And just for future reference, are you saying Europeans were recording your history for you ?
Are you confirming bini lacks it's own historians ?

Yes Benin City was already using street lamps almost 1000yrs ago and it was oil lamps.. No other African city or villages at that time had the ingenuity to come up with that idea.
oil lamp? Dude you must be kidding, I refuse to believe you can be this retarded to think there's anything special about oil lamps.. these were common

And for your information I am not comparing Benin to other historic or mythical African empires although Benin is regarded as being highly advanced and developed than those empires you mentioned.

Thank you.

No. Benin was not more advanced than any if the kingdoms and empires I mentioned.

Size: As a kingdom bini was the smallest of the aforementioned..however bini was able to grew into a small empire

Foreign relation: Mali had relations with the entire sahelian cultures an even the middle East. European knew about West Africa because of Mali
Oyo had relations with the Songhai and Malians creating a point of contact to the transsaharan trade route

Military: except for Ife, which had no standing military.. every other aforementioned kingdom had better organised military

So how is Benin greater than the kingdoms I mentioned

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 6:41pm On Apr 16, 2018
macof:

I happen to have a great understanding
This is 2018 ..1000 years ago is 1018
Which Europeans were in West Africa at that time?

The first Europeans to visit West Africa was in 14th century. So I can call that about 1000yrs ago. and Benin Kingdom was among the earliest to make contact. na u sabi

And just for future reference, are you saying Europeans were recording your history for you ?
Are you confirming bini lacks it's own historians ?

Is it not the Europeans that documented early accounts and history West Africa? We only had oral history and myths.

oil lamp? Dude you must be kidding, I refuse to believe you can be this retarded to think there's anything special about oil lamps.. these were common

if it was common in the 14th century when the Europeans first made contact and explored West Africa they wouldn't have been amazed to find a very developed and planned city in West Africa with the concepts of planned streets and roads and street lamps to light the night in "primitive Africa"

No. Benin was not more advanced than any if the kingdoms and empires I mentioned.
Benin was more advanced and highly developed than any other West African kingdoms the Europeans encountered.

Size: As a kingdom bini was the smallest of the aforementioned..however bini was able to grew into a small empire

The Benin Empire was documented by European witnesses to be in control of so many towns and cities and many people.
The European explorers said all over West Africa they have never met any kingdom to be in control of so many towns and large areas.

Foreign relation: Mali had relations with the entire sahelian cultures an even the middle East. European knew about West Africa because of Mali
Oyo had relations with the Songhai and Malians creating a point of contact to the transsaharan trade route

Are you kidding me? We are talking about early foreign relations with European countries you are comparing with relations with fellow African Kingdoms.. If it was that then Benin Kingdom had relations with fellow African kingdom from Igbo lands, through Yoruba lands up to Ghana. We conquered all and built military camps, built cities. Benin Kingdom colonized parts of West Africa

Military: except for Ife, which had no standing military.. every other aforementioned kingdom had better organised military

All the West African kingdoms you mentioned were all conquered and ruled by Benin Kingdom. The effect of Benin rule is still felt till today among those tribes.

So how is Benin greater than the kingdoms I mentioned

As I said earlier, I am not comparing Benin Kingdom to other African Kingdoms but instead I am separating facts, witnessed events from fictions and myths.

Accounts of Benin Kingdom greatness is not oral or fictions or myths. Early explorers witnessed the kingdom's greatness, power and influence and documents and accounts was written about it as early as 14th century.

Did you know that as early as 15th to 16th Benin City had almost 100, 000 inhabitants? and you call that a small city.
Did you know that until the late 19th century Benin Kingdom was the only and still existing West African Kingdom and was a major and powerful force the Europeans encountered?

I know you don't know but now you know. Knowledge is power.
Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 16, 2018
You are wasting your time with macof, he is a yorubacentric person with Benin-traumatic-disorder.
He always feels the urge to reduce the importance of Benin Kingdom and amplify that of ife.
You can't reason with him.
Trolls like macof should be ignored.
Let him choke on his obsession about Benin Kingdom.
He will waste all his time on earth trying to rewrite history and he will fail awfully, because history is read on documents several centuries old which he can't create. Let him waste his miserable life.

davidnazee:

Did you know that as early as 15th to 16th Benin City had almost 100, 000 inhabitants? and you call that a small city.
Did you know that until the late 19th century Benin Kingdom was the only and still existing West African Kingdom and was a major and powerful force the Europeans encountered?

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by macof(m): 8:42pm On Apr 16, 2018
davidnazee:

The first Europeans to visit West Africa was in 14th century. So I can call that about 1000yrs ago. and Benin Kingdom was among the earliest to make contact. na u sabi

smh. Why would you want to dive into something you do not know very well? You do not study history so why do you think you know better than someone who does?

just look at this nonsense you are posting undecided

The first european contact to west africa was in the 15th century by the Portuguese, not 14th century and for half a century or so, they never ventured off the coast to inland west africa, they simply set up trading ports along the coastline. so how would the europeans have recorded bini history?
let me not even argue too much.. just direct me to the european authors of any book on bini history.

Because as far as I know the europeans who visited Bini never recorded Bini's history, they simply took short notes of observations, much of which like of every other african kingdom or region was limited and distorted. Europeans did not know enough about african geopgraphy and politics, not until the late 19th century when they were ready for 'a place in the sun' as historians call it. So europeans are not an authority on bini or west african history

Also, 14th century(which is infact wrong, as i have stated above) is just a 600-700 years not 1000years ago. do not be dubious

Benin was no doubt among the earliest to make contact, but that's due to coastal activities in trade with Kumasi, it ends there. it is not due to Bini being so wonderful or strong or the best thing in africa..just one thing: Benin had coastal activities(championed mainly by the Itsekiris, it was the Itsekiris that directed the Europeans to Bini), the europeans had coastal activities, and they met along the line of the coast and europeans, being in the so called 'age of discovery' wanted to 'discover' hence the first european to visit Bini was Joao Afonso d'Aveiros during the reign of Oba Ozolua(oba Esigie's father), who happened to gather from the Oba of Bini himself that the Oghene (Ooni of Ife) was the source of the Oba's authority...if you want proof just ask

Is it not the Europeans that documented early accounts and history West Africa? We only had oral history and myths

your knowledge of West Africa is very limited. that is why i said you should study a little about the Malian Empire, they had universities and libraries
Europeans documented nothing of oh so wonderful significance. Every historian knows this

if it was common in the 14th century when the Europeans first made contact and explored West Africa they wouldn't have been amazed to find a very developed and planned city in West Africa with the concepts of planned streets and roads and street lamps to light the night in "primitive Africa"
like i said, 15th century not 14th century.
Mr. man planned streets and oil lamps are general. every city had it. Even Ile-ife went a step further by having Paved streets.
Europeans were ignorant and racist-inclined. 'primitive africa' was a misconception

Benin was more advanced and highly developed than any other West African kingdoms the Europeans encountered.
europeans are not an authority on west african history. how does bini beat mali in development? like i said before, it was because of Mali the europeans even came in search of West africa. The arabs told them of the great gold and power Mali possessed

Are you kidding me? We are talking about early foreign relations with European countries you are comparing with relations with fellow African Kingdoms.. If it was that then Benin Kingdom had relations with fellow African kingdom from Igbo lands, through Yoruba lands up to Ghana. We conquered all and built military camps, built cities. Benin Kingdom colonized parts of West Africa

lmao. Mr. man do not be deceived, the europeans never thought of Bini as significant partners. of all the books on european history i have worked with, i have not seen one page dedicated to Portuguese- Bini relations. This was very insignificant to Europeans, they just wanted to explore and exploit not build an international alliance with a west african kingdom. It is shameful that you will see pride in a one sided relationship with a people who never considered themselves in a relationship with you.. imagine you have a wife who doesn't see you as her husband

Relationship among fellow african nations that had more relations with more nations was very significant. like i gave an earlier example, the Oyo empire was in alliance with the Songhai and even had significant contact with Mali, with a trade route established through the Niger river (i believe the Alaafin of Oyo once claimed Sango studied in Timbaktu, but well that's for another discussion)

the entire area Bini conquered is just as the size of modern day Oyo state, it was in theory a small empire, due to the fact that Bini people themselves are so low in numbers and have a small landmass

Ashanti, Ijebu, Dahomey were still existing states that the Europeans faced in the late 19th century and Arochukwu was only defeated in 1902 while Sokoto was only defeated in 1903

Stop saying this nonsense, what do you mean by you know i don't know? what do you know?

and to that moronic brother of yours, who keeps mentioning me to get my attention.. I am not obsessed with Bini kingdom. I am passionate about history in general, and african history in particular, yoruba history even more so. and you cannot discuss yoruba history without Bini, because both groups had such deep relationship ( this is the importance of significant alliances)

it is the moronic idiiots like some of you bini guys on this forum who troll, i pass knowledge and information not going around pushing some ethnic-ego-massaging-neighbor-hating agenda

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship by davidnazee: 11:11pm On Apr 16, 2018
[quote author=macof post=66770211]

The first european contact to west africa was in the 15th century by the Portuguese, not 14th century and for half a century or so, they never ventured off the coast to inland west africa, they simply set up trading ports along the coastline. so how would the europeans have recorded bini history?
let me not even argue too much.. just direct me to the european authors of any book on bini history.

Everyone knows the first Europeans to contact West Africa was Portuguese. They set up posts along the coastline because they were not allowed to venture inland by the Authority in power at that time. And that Authority was the Oba of Benin/Benin kingdom.

Because as far as I know the europeans who visited Bini never recorded Bini's history, they simply took short notes of observations, much of which like of every other african kingdom or region was limited and distorted. Europeans did not know enough about african geopgraphy and politics, not until the late 19th century when they were ready for 'a place in the sun' as historians call it. So europeans are not an authority on bini or west african history

Shorts notes was taken of other tribes which had no important activities and anything worth writing about. Extensive notes and documentations was done on the Benin Kingdom in early 15th century. News of Benin Kingdom was printed on European Newspapers and stories of its might and glory spread through Europe at that time long ago.

Also, 14th century(which is infact wrong, as i have stated above) is just a 600-700 years not 1000years ago. do not be dubious

600yrs, 700yrs, 1000yrs.. they all same time periods, no difference bro

Benin was no doubt among the earliest to make contact, but that's due to coastal activities in trade with Kumasi, it ends there. it is not due to Bini being so wonderful or strong or the best thing in africa..just one thing: Benin had coastal activities(championed mainly by the Itsekiris, it was the Itsekiris that directed the Europeans to Bini), the europeans had coastal activities, and they met along the line of the coast and europeans, being in the so called 'age of discovery' wanted to 'discover' hence the first european to visit Bini was Joao Afonso d'Aveiros during the reign of Oba Ozolua(oba Esigie's father), who happened to gather from the Oba of Bini himself that the Oghene (Ooni of Ife) was the source of the Oba's authority...if you want proof just ask

Itsekiris did not direct Europeans to Bini, they directed the Europeans to the Authority in power, the Authority which ruled and controlled all that vast areas of West Africa, The Oba of Benin. Its like directing foreigners to Abuja to meet the president.
For your information Benin Kingdom was made of all Edo tribes (Binis, Esan, Afemai, Urhobos, Ijaws and Isokos) and they all lived together peacefully in Benin City the capital and also spread all over other cities making up the Kingdom.

like i said, 15th century not 14th century.
Mr. man planned streets and oil lamps are general. every city had it. Even Ile-ife went a step further by having Paved streets.
Europeans were ignorant and racist-inclined. 'primitive africa' was a misconception

Yes planned streets and oil lamps are general, and every city had it.. But Benin was the first to develop such concept. The first city in West Africa was Benin City. They were the first to organize as a planned society and build a city.

europeans are not an authority on west african history. how does bini beat mali in development? like i said before, it was because of Mali the europeans even came in search of West africa. The arabs told them of the great gold and power Mali possessed

The Europeans did not explore West Africa because of Mali. They wanted to explore and chart the unknown African continent. If they wanted to go to Mali they knew where it was since the Arabs already told them. They were exploring the unknown and was surprised to find an advanced civilization already existing in West Africa, The Benin Kingdom.

lmao. Mr. man do not be deceived, the europeans never thought of Bini as significant partners. of all the books on european history i have worked with, i have not seen one page dedicated to Portuguese- Bini relations. This was very insignificant to Europeans, they just wanted to explore and exploit not build an international alliance with a west african kingdom. It is shameful that you will see pride in a one sided relationship with a people who never considered themselves in a relationship with you.. imagine you have a wife who doesn't see you as her husband

You are really filled with jealousy.. The Europeans established diplomatic relations and significant partnership with the Benin Kingdom and they were happy about it because it benefited them in trade. There was already a Benin embassy in Europe as at 16th century and diplomats were already being exchanged by both kingdoms. Every kingdom always have a self serving interests in any relationship with other nations even till today. Its part of human nature.. be wise!!

Relationship among fellow african nations that had more relations with more nations was very significant. like i gave an earlier example, the Oyo empire was in alliance with the Songhai and even had significant contact with Mali, with a trade route established through the Niger river (i believe the Alaafin of Oyo once claimed Sango studied in Timbaktu, but well that's for another discussion)

Benin Kingdom had significant relations with other African kingdoms, that is normal and not to be disputed. They ruled over many West African tribes. We talking about over the seas relations.
Also when did mythical Oyo empire encounter Mali or Songhai empire. according to oral history Mythical Oyo was founded in the 1600s, Mali and Songhai was no longer existing and Timbuktu university was destroyed in 1500s after the fall of Mali Empire. so where did your fairy tale sango study?
Besides why compare an Alafin that you say studied in West Africa to an Oba of Benin that studied in Europe?

the entire area Bini conquered is just as the size of modern day Oyo state, it was in theory a small empire, due to the fact that Bini people themselves are so low in numbers and have a small landmass

How can you say the entire area Benin conquered (Western shores of Igbo lands, through Yoruba lands pass Togo and Dahomey up to Ghana) is just the size of Oyo state? Are you that blinded with hate and jealousy to deny the truth? This truth is not oral or fantasy, it was witnessed and documented.
Please read the copied post below. Copied from document that was recorded in the early 19th century.

"By c. 1800 the kingdom consisted of the area approximating more or less to the eastern half of the Mono-Niger region east of a line drawn northsouth from Otun in Ekiti to the coast. The area embraced the eastern Yoruba states of Ekiti, Ondo and Qwo , the western Igbo communities west of the Niger delta; the Urhobo, Itsekiri and the Ijo in the south. Although the Edo of Benin City and the metropolitan area constituted the core of the kingdom, the other Edo-speaking peoples such as the Esan and the northern Edo in the north-east and the Urhobo and Isoko to the southeast may be considered the immediate outer ring of the area of jurisdiction of the Bini monarch. Further afield, Benin influence, if not suzerainty, was acknowledged all along the Atlantic coast as far west as Lagos and beyond.
As with the Itsekiri, there was a widely acknowledged dynastic relationship between Benin and the ruling elites in most Awori-Yoruba and related Anago chiefdoms where (as in Ekiti, Owo and Ondo ) there is still visible evidence of the Benin impact on titles and court ceremonials.31
Benin is usually portrayed as having been in continuous decline in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. However, while recent research has shown that this decline was far from being continuous and was often punctuated by periods of revival and territorial expansion
The Benin kingdom underwent radical contraction because of a three-sided assault on its territory. The Fulbe djihad, which had knocked Old Oyo off its feet and decimated it, also penetrated the northern and northeastern part of the Benin kingdom. While the Fulbe, based in Nupe , forced such northern Edo groups as the Esan and Ivbiosakon to pay tribute to the emir of Bida and to be accessible for Islamic proselytization, the Djama'a from llorín raided into the northern Ekiti and Yoruba states under Benin Kingdom. The djiadist's expansion was finally defeated and stopped by the Benin army from moving further deep into the Niger delta region."

Ashanti, Ijebu, Dahomey were still existing states that the Europeans faced in the late 19th century and Arochukwu was only defeated in 1902 while Sokoto was only defeated in 1903

All the above the mentioned were not kingdoms but rather small militant states controlled by powerful chieftains in those areas.

Stop saying this nonsense, what do you mean by you know i don't know? what do you know?

Bro all your posts shows that you do not know, but now that you have read my posts you will know. Be educated and blessed. grin

and to that moronic brother of yours, who keeps mentioning me to get my attention.. I am not obsessed with Bini kingdom. I am passionate about history in general, and african history in particular, yoruba history even more so. and you cannot discuss yoruba history without Bini, because both groups had such deep relationship ( this is the importance of significant alliances)

You are clearly obsessed and jealous of anything Benin. (you even refused to spell the name right).
You cannot discussed any West African history with mention of Benin influence on them. If you even type West African Kingdoms in search engines the first to always pop up is Benin Kingdom and always filled with descriptions and accounts of its advancement and development from long ago and superiority over all other surrounding tribes.
The relationship between Benin and Yoruba is that of conqueror (Benin) and the conquered (Yoruba)

"Now you Know"..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Black People Walk With A Limp? / We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.